OtakuBoards

What Are You Playing?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[quote name='Sangome' date='08 July 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1278576390' post='696859']
[color="#9932cc"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Decided to take a break from replaying Wind Waker and Sonic Adventure 2[!] and try to finish a game that I proclaim to be my favorite in the Zelda series: [b]Majora's Mask[/b].

Holy crap, I did [i]not[/i] expect to have to be so crazy prepared to take on Ikana Canyon. I mean, I know I had to give the Gibdos in the well a bunch of random items, but I didn't count on some of the more random stuff that they've been asking me. I've been having to backtrack a lot. Then I had to backtrack AGAIN when I realized that I needed to have a Powder Keg to blow a hole in the roof of the Ikana castle or whatever...ugh.

Still, I'm reminded of how much I love it. The atmosphere, the mystery...everything about it is just awesome.[/font][/color]
[/quote]i love that game as well (and your banner and avatar) its like, everything you do feels like a subquest. and swimming like a zora just feels amazing! i probably have replayed that particular game the most out of any zelda game (six or seven times completed four of which with all masks and great fairy items) it just never seems to get old.

though i also love sonic adventure 2 and wind waker. (though i liked sonic adventure one better(storyline and less forced)

as for me... i am getting back into Age of Mythology, Minecraft and Blitzball in FFX (i hate how much i love that minigame)
also... i am playing more chess with my computer... im not sure if that counts but i think i am getting pretty good since i constantly beat an intermidiate level ai. Edited by CaNz

• 2 weeks later...
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Picked up the gold edition of Dawn of War 2 for PC yesterday, played through the first couple of missions and I have to admit I'm a little divided in terms of opinion. Having come from the original Dawn of War which I loved (enough to buy Soulstorm and listen to Indrick Boreale's repeated use of "SPESS MEHREENS!! FOR THE EMPRAH!!") the small squads and RPG management vary between feeling like a very fresh take on traditional RTS or being incredibly annoying by forcing the player to micromanage absolutely every encounter in the game lest you lose all your troops very quickly.

Also, the fact I need Steam to play this game is absolute BS.[/size][/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]So, after a good couple of years, I'm back on the game rental circuit, and the first thing I rented was [b]Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility[/b]. And...I'm...just a weeeeee bit addicted to it now. >>;;;;;

But seriously, I've not played a Harvest Moon game in years, so this is great fun. Once you get the hang of things, it can be pretty relaxing, too. Right now I'm on winter of Year 1, and Candace and Luna have just moved in. I got married in the fall [it was a tossup between Jin, Julius, and Chase, but since the latter two won't move in 'til later, I picked Jin...and I'm absolutely glad I did <333], and uh. Yeah.

Though I'm sad 'cause copies of it outside of this one seem to be nonexistent around here. :/ I'll have to go looking around. But yeah. Awesome game. <3[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sangome' date='20 July 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1279663306' post='697542']
[color="#9932cc"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"] I got married in the fall [it was a tossup between Jin, Julius, and Chase, but since the latter two won't move in 'til later, I picked Jin...and I'm absolutely glad I did <333], and uh. Yeah.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
aww! blue feathers always make my day. I am happy for you!

as for me i picked up mass effect.. and though the game is increasingly long... i am probably going to mass effect two pretty soon.
it feels like a rpg... but at the same time a shooter. i like both game styles so i am going crazy with this one.
mass effect two looks more like its going to be a lot more shooter... i am nnot too upset with this.

I like these games... a good story does appeal to me once and a while.

[color=indigo]I finally earned my gold watch in [b]FFXIII[/b]. As tough as Vercigetorix and Attacus are I still think the two toughest fights in the game are the three Tonberrys and the two Rakravijas battles. It was stupid how many times I dies in those two fights.

I also am going through the Special Ops missions in [b]Modern Warfare 2[/b] trying to finish all of the missions on a three star level. I'm not doing all that great of a job. Lots and lots of death people, lots and lots of death.[/color] Edited by Heaven's Cloud

[b]Right now I'm playing [color="#FF00FF"]Persona 3 Portable[/color]. (The title is pink in color because I'm playing as the new female character. :biggrin: )

I never actually beat Persona 3, but this one, even with the stuff that it is missing, is a lot of fun. I already beat it once and I'm going back again to beat it and see the other ending.

This is actually one of the few games on my list that I've actually beaten. It's even on my shorter list of games I've beaten and want to play again. :P

However, if anyone wants to play this and you're going to choose the original character, I would get the PS2 version if you can find it.[/b]

[quote name='Lilt' date='24 July 2010 - 12:04 AM' timestamp='1279955059' post='697740']
[b]However, if anyone wants to play this and you're going to choose the original character, I would get the PS2 version if you can find it.[/b]
[/quote]
I have the FES PS2 version, actually, but... I barely got into it before getting discouraged. The boss I encountered last time was so darn hard. ._. Maybe after I've finished a couple other games I'll try picking it up again...

Speaking of other games, I finally re-beat [b].hack//G.U. Reminisce[/b] and I have now moved on to the final game in the trilogy, [b]Redemption[/b]! Just a few minutes ago I [spoiler]beat Sakaki, and man is that Avatar battle annoying. One of the hardest in the games, imo.[/spoiler] Still, the game is pretty easy. I can make it difficult for myself if I want, and I [i]know[/i] there are some harder moments coming up, but it's not really hard. At all.
But it is fun, and that's what counts. I especially enjoy toying around with the desktop settings and making decks in Crimson VS. :biggrin:

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]So after bumming around for a few days after having to take Tree of Tranquility back to the video store, and hearing word that [url="http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6270657/mega-man-legends-3-teased-at-capcom-panel/"]Keiji Inafune could possibly be hinting at the long-awaited Legends 3[/url], I decided to fire up [b]Megaman Legends 2[/b] yesterday. I've been a huge fan of this series for the past decade now, having played the heck out of the first game [the N64 port, specifically, although I want to get my hands on the original PSX version someday]. However, I only ever played through the second game once, and even then, I didn't beat it...so here we go.

And y'know...as much as I adore the first game, the second game really trounces it in just about every way. The story, environment, gameplay, graphics [to an extent] are all massively improved on. It's really impressive how much of a leap they made. Anyhow, I just finished a rather tedious multi-part boss fight that required me to hop from Nino Island to Carlbania Island. I've come to dislike Glyde intensely in this timespan, but not as much as his Birdbots. Seriously. They suck. Servbots >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Birdbots, all the way. Next up's the Nino ruins, and from what I can remember, it's...very, very annoying, being on par with most of Zelda's Water Temples. [Fitting, since this is a water-based ruin!] I'll tackle that next time.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Lilt' date='24 July 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1279955059' post='697740']
[b]Right now I'm playing [color="#FF00FF"]Persona 3 Portable[/color]. (The title is pink in color because I'm playing as the new female character. :biggrin: )

I never actually beat Persona 3, but this one, even with the stuff that it is missing, is a lot of fun. I already beat it once and I'm going back again to beat it and see the other ending.

This is actually one of the few games on my list that I've actually beaten. It's even on my shorter list of games I've beaten and want to play again. :P

However, if anyone wants to play this and you're going to choose the original character, I would get the PS2 version if you can find it.[/b]
[/quote]

I've never played the Persona games but I have played like the first 10 minutes of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and from what I gather of it, it's similar to Dragon Quest 8 where it forces you to use Buffs and Debuffs. They're my kind of RPG's but the main thing that's keeping me away from Persona 3 is the thought of not being able to control my other party members. What's keeping me away from 3 and 4 is the drawn out dungeons. I watched a couple of videos and it just seem like it takes forever to get through a dungeon. I don't recall having to walk that long in Nocturne, but I also stopped playing early so yeah lol. What's keeping me from playing all SMT games is my conscience lol. I'm a church guy (christian) and the thought of teamming up with Lucifer just rubs me the wrong way lol. I'm trying to get over it but lol, so far no good.

I haven't been playing anything at the moment, although I could continue on my Devil May Cry 3 run as well as my God of War 2 run considering all the stress that's been building up from school. I'm thinking about what game I'm gonna buy for the DS though. Not sure yet.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Picked up the original Assassin's Creed, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on the Dark Athena and Dead Space with my new 360 slim, about half way through AC and I have to admit compared to it's sequel it's very, very repetitive and kind of boring, style over substance as it were. It's not terrible but certainly having killed my first three targets there doesn't feel like there's anything new to happen.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Magus' date='27 July 2010 - 03:49 AM' timestamp='1280195382' post='697959']
I've never played the Persona games but I have played like the first 10 minutes of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and from what I gather of it, it's similar to Dragon Quest 8 where it forces you to use Buffs and Debuffs. They're my kind of RPG's but the main thing that's keeping me away from Persona 3 is the thought of not being able to control my other party members. What's keeping me away from 3 and 4 is the drawn out dungeons. I watched a couple of videos and it just seem like it takes forever to get through a dungeon. I don't recall having to walk that long in Nocturne, but I also stopped playing early so yeah lol. What's keeping me from playing all SMT games is my conscience lol. I'm a church guy (christian) and the thought of teamming up with Lucifer just rubs me the wrong way lol. I'm trying to get over it but lol, so far no good.

I haven't been playing anything at the moment, although I could continue on my Devil May Cry 3 run as well as my God of War 2 run considering all the stress that's been building up from school. I'm thinking about what game I'm gonna buy for the DS though. Not sure yet.
[/quote]

[b]Well if not being able to control your party members is keeping you from playing Persona 3, then I would get Persona 3 Portable if you have a PSP. I quit Persona 3 because I couldn't control them, but now I actually came back to it since they changed it for the portable version. It does take a little bit to get through the dungeons though. But unless it's a part of the story, you can leave when you want if you find an exit.

Don't bother getting over that part though. It rubbed me the wrong way too. What I did was, I never made him or used him on my team. I still see the name though as an option when making a new persona, so that bugs me a little bit. It is possible for you to skip using him on your team, but if it bugs you that he is even in the game then don't get Persona 3.

Also, I would recommend skipping the Devil social link. I was fine with maxing that one out, until I found out that I unlocked Beezelbub. That part kind of bothered me too.

As for the DS, I'm getting Dragon Quest IX today. Maybe try that one out? I was going to skip it since I've never played Dragon Quest at all, but I've heard good things about it and also I like how you can make your own character. That's always a nice option for an RPG.[/b] Edited by Lilt

[quote name='Gavin' date='27 July 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1280240406' post='698012']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Picked up the original Assassin's Creed, Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on the Dark Athena and Dead Space with my new 360 slim, about half way through AC and I have to admit compared to it's sequel it's very, very repetitive and kind of boring, style over substance as it were. It's not terrible but certainly having killed my first three targets there doesn't feel like there's anything new to happen.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

[color=indigo]I could see how playing [b]Assassin's Creed[/b] after playing [b]Assassin's Creed 2[/b] would be frustrating. The sequel was so superior to the original it is almost sad.

I'm currently playing [b]Give Up Robot[/b] over at [url="http://games.adultswim.com/"]Adult Swim[/url]. It is horribly addictive, though I am stuck at level 6 in the "hard" setting.[/color] Edited by Heaven's Cloud

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='27 July 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1280261710' post='698033']
[color=indigo]I could see how playing [b]Assassin's Creed[/b] after playing [b]Assassin's Creed 2[/b] would be frustrating. The sequel was so superior to the original it is almost sad. [/color]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Indeed, I want to finish the game and complete as much of it as possible but doing exactly the same things over and over again really drains any sense of achievement out of the game.[/size][/font]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Rented [b]Final Fantasy XIII[/b] and took it back yesterday. I got up to where [spoiler]everyone's branded a l'cie...I think...the terminology of this game confused the heck out of me[/spoiler]. It was...okay, from what I played. I've seen repeated time and time again that the 25 hour mark, when everything stops being so darn linear, is when everything improves massively, and I believe them, but I just dunno if I have the patience to get there right now. Maybe I'll rent it again later and try a little bit more, but as of right now, I'm not really in a big hurry.

Resumed my [b]Megaman Legends 2[/b] replay the other day. I'm currently close to the end of the Calinca Ruins, in the one big snowy room where you have to chase those friggin keys while avoiding those stupid reaverbots that simultaneously paralyze and give you a gnarly case of frostbite by merely touching them, as well as that one giant reaverbot that shoots missiles at you. It's not very fun. :whatever: Game's awesome otherwise, better than its predecessor [which is also very awesome].

I'm thinking about replaying [b]Megaman Legends/64[/b] as well; I started a new game on it some months ago and didn't do much with it. I know it like the back of my hand, so I wonder how quickly I'll finish it.

Oh! Also randomly decided to replay [b]Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations[/b] the other day. Playing through case two right now. And yeesh, Luke Atmey is such an annoyingly large ham. How the heck I liked him before, I have no idea. [Although he does have his weird charm about him...][/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[quote name='Sangome' date='05 August 2010 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1280995816' post='698897']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]And yeesh, Luke Atmey is such an annoyingly large ham. How the heck I liked him before, I have no idea. [Although he does have his weird charm about him...][/font][/color]
[/quote]
That's exactly why he's so much fun. He's just... yeah. :V

So, umm, I sorta beat [b].hack//G.U. Redemption[/b] a few days ago, but there's still so much sidequest stuff I have to do even after the "end" of the game... but for now, I've taken a break from that.
I actually started [b]The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time[/b], because despite how many times I've [i]seen[/i] it played, I've never personally done so myself. So yeah, trying to remedy that. Don't know how far I'll get though before I get bored. I've at least gotten to Kakariko Village already. Good thing about seeing it played so many times is, I won't get lost too easily. lol Edited by Miss Anonymous

i dunno Hc... a lot of games can be free games with the right downloads.
such as my new (old) game is X-men Vs Street Fighters. I love how the game barley changed at all from here till Marvel Vs Capcom 2. the only big difference is about five times the amount of characters.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Got angry at Elysium on MML2 and decided to play a new file of the original [b]Megaman Legends[/b] [albeit the N64 port] that I started some months ago. I hadn't gotten very far at all, but I still managed to wrap it up in 2-3 days...not to toot my own horn, but I was pretty impressed with myself with that. Had some trouble on some of the bosses [mainly the Reaverbot at Lake Jynn ruins, Bruno, and Juno], but it was smooth sailing for the most part. <3 Love that game.

Also continuing on replaying [b]Trials and Tribulations[/b], and am on case four now. Case five is my favorite in the series, though, so I'm looking forward to that. <3[/font][/color]

[quote name='CaNz' date='12 August 2010 - 01:39 PM' timestamp='1281634794' post='699304']
i dunno Hc... a lot of games can be free games with the right downloads.
such as my new (old) game is X-men Vs Street Fighters. I love how the game barley changed at all from here till Marvel Vs Capcom 2. the only big difference is about five times the amount of characters.
[/quote]

[color=indigo]Obviously you have never played [b]Robot Unicorn Attack[/b]. I know this because there is not a man or woman, sane or insane, that would say anything other than "OMG, Robot Unicorn Attack is the best game in 4ever! Lols" (yes, they even say the LOL as 'lahls').

Seriously, go play it right now at AdultSwim.com. You thank me after you have killed you Robot Unicorn a few dozen times.[/color]

Oh geez, my old circle of friends were obsessed with [b]Robot Unicorn Attack[/b] for a few weeks.  At the time I was still limited to 56K so I could never participate.

At the moment I'm playing [b]Mother 3 [/b]for the second time.  Before that I was running around in [b]Majora's Mask [/b]doing random stuff.  Seriously, being able to replay different parts of the game without having to play through from the beginning really increased that game's replay value.  That's probably why I like it better than [b]Ocarina of Time[/b].  

and you could play both on a N64 emulator!
but anyways i gave robot unicorn attack a shot.. i was determined to break 10000 points before i quit... but sidescrollers are not my thing..
as for normal definition of free games i like pandemic 2 and demolition city muh better... but those ones focus on thought instead of reflexes.

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='12 August 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1281649657' post='699314']
[color=indigo]
Seriously, go play it right now at AdultSwim.com. You thank me after you have killed you Robot Unicorn a few dozen times.[/color]
[/quote]
You definately lost me when mentioning AdultSwim.com. Hearing that it's a sidescroller is even more off-putting since I've long since stopped playing those. (Curious about a couple but for the most part I'm done with them)

At times like this I wish I had either a Dynasty/Samurai Warrior game because I need to take my anger out on something. I wish I had a dreamcast so I can play Shenmue at these times as well since it's soothing.