OtakuBoards

What Are You Playing?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[quote name='Inuyasha Fandom' date='18 October 2010 - 08:14 AM' timestamp='1287414881' post='701127']
final fantasy is the simple and fun classic for me
[/quote]

this one isn't too difficult, but with all the strategy and learning curb for all the moves (by far the most i have ever seen in a final fantasy game) i sure wouldn't call final fantasy tactics simple. in order to get through job classes i put in a ton of work! training as a samurai to hold a spear with two hands as a lancer, having everyone learn Jp up and accumulate as a squire so that i can level up jobs faster, and even practicing as a time mage so my archer can float (since the higher up you are the farther your arrows can travel) are just some of the more thoughtful techniques i have used... and i am sure more will come or ill get creamed by the ultra lucky computer! Edited by CaNz

[quote name='CaNz' date='19 October 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1287488423' post='701150']
this one isn't too difficult, but with all the strategy and learning curb for all the moves (by far the most i have ever seen in a final fantasy game) i sure wouldn't call final fantasy tactics simple. in order to get through job classes i put in a ton of work! training as a samurai to hold a spear with two hands as a lancer, having everyone learn Jp up and accumulate as a squire so that i can level up jobs faster, and even practicing as a time mage so my archer can float (since the higher up you are the farther your arrows can travel) are just some of the more thoughtful techniques i have used... and i am sure more will come or ill get creamed by the ultra lucky computer!
[/quote]
Tactics is awesome. The story felt so epic, and almost every battle was awfully hard. I just didn't think the quest system was that well done.

i agree... i really don't know if there are requirements or not in the quest system. I just send three losers on my team and whenever i make my way back to the city i ditched them at, i get whatever they recover (needless to say i am a level one treasure hunter) then sign them up for another quest.
I feel if the computer had as much trouble landing spells as i do (and attacks for that matter) it would be easier... but i stay ahead of the game with job grinding. I already have a bard and a dancer, so i am usually winning without too much difficulty.

• 3 weeks later...
Still playing YU-GI-OOOOOoooooh! (sorry). Actually, I beat the game already about 2 weeks after I posted about playing it the last time. Now I'm just playing it because I have nothing else to play and I'm trying to unlock a pack that has a certain card in it. (I'm no completionist though) I think the next game I'll end up getting will probably be either Golden Sun 1/2, Final Fantasy 4/6 Advance or Chrono Trigger (DS), that's if I don't have a ps2 or 3 by then.

[quote name='Phenom' date='08 November 2010 - 03:05 AM' timestamp='1289214318' post='701614']
Still playing YU-GI-OOOOOoooooh! (sorry). Actually, I beat the game already about 2 weeks after I posted about playing it the last time. Now I'm just playing it because I have nothing else to play and I'm trying to unlock a pack that has a certain card in it. [/quote]
is there a solid amount of cards in this one? the last version i played was 2006 i think and i was really disappointing because they left out so many. they had fusion cards in the game and no fusion material monsters!

I actually saw 2010 at my gamestop for $29.99 and I am thinking about it. considering i have bought a bottle of wine today that have cost me more.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I've been really spazzy with my gaming lately, so I'll try to sum up my most noteworthy playthroughs of recent weeks.

[b]Super Mario Sunshine[/b] - [i]Finally[/i] got a working copy of this a month or so ago, and replayed it. Even if it's the "black sheep" of the platformers, I still love it to death. It's probably my favorite Mario platformer behind Super Paper Mario.

And speaking of [b]Paper Mario[/b], I played through the original a week or two ago and beat it yet again. It's not as good as what would follow, but it's still very good and very fun.

[b]Xenosaga III[/b] - I love this series, but I have a weird relationship with it -- I've never beaten any of the games. However, I find the third [and sadly final] installment the easiest to get into of the three, so I restarted that. And MAN have I become addicted all over again. The atmosphere's just great, the characters are all awesome, and ufdhgsjkgfhksdjsh I just love it. Makes me sad the series was cut in half.

If I can get my paws off Xeno III here soon, I'm going to finally start up [b]Dragon Quest VIII[/b]. I've had it for years and have heard many good things about it, so I figured I'd give it a go. ...Well, another go, technically, since I played maybe an hour or so before getting stuck on a boss. But I really need to give it a fair shake, so.[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I'm juggling little bits of everything at the moment. I have discovered the joys of [b]Fallout 3[/b] - sure, a bit late to the party, but better late than never! I picked it up very cheaply as a pre-owned title and I'm really loving it. I hope New Vegas is at least as good.

I am also back to [b]Final Fantasy XIII[/b], after lending it out to my sister for months. It's a little weird to get re-acquainted with the controls and stuff so many months later, but I'm getting there. Still a fun game, but terrible plot.

And finally, there's [b]Civilization V[/b]. It has a few quirks that need to be ironed out, but generally I'm enjoying this one a lot more than Civilization IV. It's just so much more elegant and steamlined, but without compromising detail. They just need to improve the diplomacy! It's still frustratingly simplistic and annoying. Still, fantastic game - and the war is actually [b]fun[/b] on this, as opposed to Civ IV, where it could be quite laborious (and not in a good way).[/font]

[quote name='CaNz' date='08 November 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1289261217' post='701644']
is there a solid amount of cards in this one? the last version i played was 2006 i think and i was really disappointing because they left out so many. they had fusion cards in the game and no fusion material monsters!

I actually saw 2010 at my gamestop for $29.99 and I am thinking about it. considering i have bought a bottle of wine today that have cost me more.
[/quote]
Yeah, there is a decent size in the game. I think over 3000. According to gamefaqs there are still some cards missing, but I don't think the missing cards are all that important. As for whether you should get it. I can't really answer that. I'm bout ready to trade mines back in. I'm pretty much over my yugioh crave now. Edited by Phenom

"There is no useless card in my grandfathers deck... except for Kuriboh"
Its good that they have a ton of them, but i liked making my decks, so i guess i will check to see if they have all the cards I use.

I do have one problem with the games... they use the current ban list, which I don't find to be as much fun. Some things deserve to get banned, but I disagree with half the stuff on that list nowadays. in 2006 there was a way to play with forbidden cards, as well as previous ban lists, but they didnt have all that many, and i could never get exactly what i wanted.

I wonder if a 2011 version will come out...

• 1 month later...
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Played through the demo for [b]Cave Story[/b].

...I...I need to get this game. I'm already addicted. I know it's technically free to download, but meh, I'm weird/picky. I want it on my Wii. Hopefully I can sneak in a Wii point card on my Christmas list...[/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1]I'm not playing anything at the moment. I need to buy some new games (until I can get my hands on a ps3) so for the time being I've been watching walkthroughs of games. [b]Persona 3[/b] to be more specific. The main character is just now awakening (if you want to call it that). I've watched Persona 4 once before and comparing the 2 I can pretty much say that I think I'd like P3 over for when it comes to the characters. I don't really like any of the characters in P4. They just come off as annoying for some reason. I think if I were to get P4 it would only be because you get to control all your characters. I keep hearing that both games have a great soundtrack. I haven't heard its greatness yet. I don't really care for the J-pop songs I've been hearing. The more memorable stuff is when something begins to happen.

Other games in the backlog to watch:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Mass Effect 1 & 2
God of War 3
Final Fantasy 13
Assassin's Creed 1, 2 & Brotherhood
Splinter Cell: Conviction

Edit:

Wow, [b]Bayonetta[/b] have some epic boss fights. I'd like to get my hands on this game. The combat looks more entertaining than God of War 2's combat. I won't say it's up there with Ninja Gaiden just yet but it does surpass God of War and it's up there with Devil May Cry. Cheesy dialogue along with an annoying little girl...

[b]Persona 3[/b] has an interesting story for sure. And this Pharos boy is one creepy kid. If I didn't know any better I'd say [spoiler]he's the devil[/spoiler]. Atlus needs to do a Death Note game similar to the Persona series.

Edit2:

Called myself trying to watch [b]Mass Effect 1 & 2[/b] but that game looks entirely too epic to watch. I need to experience that game in front of me rather than watch it. It's also too spoilerific watching it the way I was watching it. I normally don't care about spoilers and I also don't really care for story, but from what I saw I think I was understanding the gist of it and didn't want to spoil the rest of it any more than I already have... I pretty much just spoiled myself for [spoiler]what happens to some lady whose name I can't remember that you pick up on the battlefield[/spoiler]. Um, anyway, I didn't get really far in my progression of watching either games. I'd say I was close to 30 minutes in watching ME1 and a little over 30 in ME2.

I normally don't say this about videogame characters (nor anime or cartoon) but Miranda is quite a hot one, but she comes off as a total #####. But then again she's tough, and no damsel so I appreciate her a lot more lol.

These 2 games are probably the prettiest games I've seen on the Xbox 360 so far. Halo 3 was nice, but Bioware tops it with these Mass Effect games.[/size]

Edit3:

So I finally got a chance to get over to my brother-in-law's house yesterday and I got a chance to experience the PS3 for the first time. We played [b]Borderlands[/b] and [b]Super Street Fighter 4[/b]. Both games are quite something. I'm not completely sold on Borderlands though, at least not on the PS3. We had fun and while it is definately a nice game for those who has some pinned up rage to release, but for some reason I can't explain it, I'm just not sold on it. As for SSF4, we had a blast, especially when it was Ryu vs Ken. For me though, it's going to take a little bit for me to get used to. I have to get the hang of the supers and ultra's as well as doing those charge type attacks. I pulled some of them off randomly, but I'd like to know how to do it effectively and efficiently. Guy will also take quite some time to get used to playing as. So far my favorites are Ryu, Ken, Juri and Ibuki.

any of you guys fan of Way of the Samurai?
I am currently playing the third game and love it.

graphics aren't great but I love how the story line just flows with the actions you do.
unlike 1 and 2, the game seems to not even care what you do in your week of existence... you can kill important people... but you will always fall into an ending (there are ssooooo many) Edited by CaNz

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I would definitely recommend HeartGold and SoulSilver, whether you've played the originals or not. Of course, you'd probably derive more enjoyment if you've played GSC [since HG/SS goes all out for the fans], but I have friends who barely played GSC [or not played it at all] and still enjoyed it. They're easily the best Pokemon games from this past gen.[/font][/color]

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1293045266' post='703136']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I would definitely recommend HeartGold and SoulSilver, whether you've played the originals or not. Of course, you'd probably derive more enjoyment if you've played GSC [since HG/SS goes all out for the fans], but I have friends who barely played GSC [or not played it at all] and still enjoyed it. They're easily the best Pokemon games from this past gen.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
I played Gold and Silver way back in the day, but this upgraded version looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the tip.

Any other DS games worth checking out?

- Shy

[font="Tahoma"]Currently playing [b]Call of Duty: Black Ops[/b] multi-player. Current goal is to maintain a 2.10 KDR and to hit 200 kills with the ballistic knife. On COD downtime I'll be playing [b]AC: Brotherhood[/b] single player and commanding my mighty army of assassins all around Europe (where else can you complete a mission in Russia and be back in Italy in 10 minutes). The third game I can be found playing is [b]SMT: Persona 3[/b] for the ol PS2. Busting shadows up with my Justice team; Power and Virtue and loving Mitsuru's summer casual outfit. After beating this i'll only have Persona 4 to play to have completed all the current Megaten games released. As much as I loved Nocturne, P3 is turning out to be my favorite of the series.

On deck is [b]Dead Space 2[/b] come January. Can't wait to see how my dog reacts to the CE's plasma cutter, hehe.[/font]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]In addition to the million or so games that I play off-and-on but don't finish, I've also been playing [b]Forza 3[/b] and [b]Limbo[/b]. I decided to get Forza instead of GT5 (and so far I think I'm happy with that decision) and Limbo, well...you only have to look at a screenshot and you can't help becoming intrigued, haha.

It really lives up to the hype though. It's easily the most atmospheric game I've played in 2010. And it's also one of the most artistic games I've seen in years (it also helps that it's incredibly fun, too).

Oh, and I grabbed Rez HD on Xbox 360 as well. Awesome game and even more awesome in HD. I also forgot how tough it can get![/font]

Nice, man! I've still got to finish Assassin's Creed 2, but my data got erased and I was just getting to open all the seals below the Villa, and I just have not started it again. Want to look into AC: Brotherhood though.

One game I've been playing that I can't get enough of is this still-in-beta phase game for the PC called [b][url="http://www.worldoftanks.com/"]World of Tanks[/url][/b]. The concept of the game is simple, as is the gameplay, but the mechanics and replay value for it are amazing. You start off in your garage with a junker pre-World War II tank and work your way all the way up to on-paper-only prototype monstrosities from all sides of the war. Games are 15 vs 15 player team battles where you engage in fierce firefights with your fellow tankers and try to outwit, outmaneuver, outthink, and outgun your opponents. The more you play, the more experience and credits you get to unlock more tanks, tank destroyers, artillery guns, or upgrade your current tank. It's a great action game with a lot of depth to it and if you love multiplayer action games with replayability, or you are just a big World War II/tank buff like me, World of Tanks is the perfect game for you!

I would love to see some other otakuites out there on the field! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone! :)

[font="Century Gothic"]I've been playing [b]Dragon Quest VIII[/b]. It's lots of fun. I really love all the characters and the battle system along with the music is just lots of fun. It has a really nifty story too. ^^ I'm using Indi's copy but I like it so much that I want to get my own.[/font]

I still need to finish up Dragon Quest 8. Too bad I don't have a ps2 anymore.

Anyway, I'm just waiting for my 360 to arrive now and I'll finally get to start blasting/stabbing aliens/people.

In the meantime I did a booboo. I called myself just checking out a few walkthroughs to Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood just to see if I want it or not (of course I want it). 1 thing led to another and I ended up watching the whole thing. Crap! I just couldn't stop watching it because it was epic. The music really stood out in that game. Anyway, I'll be trading in my old games for some more 360 games (Will probably be Devil May Cry 4 and Halo 3. Or Batman Arkham Asylum)

My Xbox is here finally. I'm going bye-bye now.

Edit:

So I started my run of [b]Assassin's Creed[/b] last night and I quit playing today. I'm just not feeling this game. It's like no excitement whatsoever. Being chased have its tensed moments but at the same time I can't say I like them either mainly because I suck badly when it comes to running on all that stuff and I don't know where all the hiding spots are. And then I only have a 20" tv, so the icons are hard to see. And then there's Altair. While I would think he's a bad### I also find him to be rather annoying as well. This guy shoots off at the mouth entirely too much, and, well, while I do like that at times I just find it annoying coming from him. Anyway, I'll be trading this one in soon.

I also started playing [b]Gears of War 2[/b] last night as well. Let's just say I forgot how to play lol.

And then I just started playing [b]Assassin's Creed 2[/b] earlier today. Way better than the first. Right off the bat it's a lot more exciting and the controls feel a lot tighter and smoother. I feel more comfortable running on buildings in this one as well. And then I wasn't nearly as scared of getting into fights on this one like I was in the first one, granted I had just gained the counter attack/kill. Everything just feels more comfy.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I've not played the series myself, but that's what I've consistently heard, that Assassin's Creed 2 is immensely better than the first one.

Anywho, I've been playing, unsurprisingly, my Christmas haul. SO LET'S GET TO IT!

[b]Sonic Colors[/b] - This is very, very good so far. The music's pretty awesome, the gameplay is tight, the graphics are very pretty, and I'm very much digging the rather witty, self-referential humor peppered throughout the script. Sonic's new voice is taking some getting used to, though. It's not [i]bad[/i], just different than what I'm used to [though admittedly I've not played much of the series since Adventure 2.

[b]Super Street Fighter IV[/b] - I AM HORRIBLE AT THIS GAME LOL. Seriously, I really like it, but ohhh my gosh I'm craptacular at it so far. I keep going through Chun Li's story/arcade mode and keep having Juri hand my butt back to me several times. I guess I should try out the other characters and get back to hers later...

[b]BlazBlue: Continuum Shift[/b] - Ohhhhhhh my gosh I am addicted to this game like crazy. Gosh it's so good. Love it love it love it. I've gone through...lemme think...Rachel's, Tao's, Lambda's, Tager's, Ragna's, and Noel's stories...I think that's all, at least. Going through Jin's right now. I'm also having fun playing around in arcade and VS mode, trying to get a handle on everyone. I'm pretty good with Noel, and I'm gonna work on Tao and Litchi a little more, too. I'm also trying to work in Hazama as a main, but I'm pretty poopy with him so far. :/

[b]Cave Story[/b] - Downloaded this off the Wii Shop Channel and sdjdkshsdilkfhsdkfj so fun and addicting, bordering on bullet hell at times. I'm confused as heck half the time at what's going on, but I know that's the point, since it wants you to figure things out on your own. I don't mind it though -- it's pretty awesome so far.

[b]Mario Party 2[/b] - Also downloaded this along with Cave Story, purely on nostalgia, and for something less intensive to wind down on. The computer is a meaniehead, but I still love this game. So fun~

I've also got [b]Final Fantasy IV[/b] for the DS and [b]Pokemon SoulSilver[/b], but I need to play more of the former [I plan on doing so later], and the latter will just be my same opinion as HeartGold; I'm just playing through it for fun and to recall the story. And I'm a Johtotard.[/font][/color]