OtakuBoards

What Are You Playing?

.:[ Revy ]:.

Got to chapter 18 of [b]Uncharted[/b] and am basically ragequitting right now. It's not at all fun fighting these artificially difficult [spoiler]zombie[/spoiler] enemies, and there are too many other games I'd rather play instead. Maybe I'll complete it one day, but I dunno. I hear [b]Uncharted 2[/b] is a vast improvement, so I'll probably start that tonight and wipe the stink of the first game away.

I mean, I fully admit to not being the greatest gamer in the world, but I don't mind a fair challenge. I beat [b]VVVVVV[/b], and while many of the rooms in that game are tough, none of them are [i]unfair[/i]. [b]Mass Effect 3[/b] is the toughest game in that series, and while I died more than the first two games combined, I never thought it was unfair. [b]Uncharted[/b] is unfair and not fun at the end. Edited by Shinmaru

[quote name='Shinmaru' timestamp='1334787047' post='711500']
[b]Uncharted[/b] is unfair and not fun at the end.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]I never played the original Uncharted, but I've played 2 and 3. And although I liked Uncharted 2, I think Uncharted 3 is substantially better. So in other words, there's a general progression and improvement throughout the series - I'd definitely stick with it, despite your frustrations. :)[/font]

Man, I still need to finish Uncharted 1 since I've never even begun to play Uncharted 2 (Don't get me started on 3 since I haven't even opened it yet). CURSE YOU FIGHTING GAMES!!!! [b]Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition[/b] to be exact. Despite the mindless fun I was having with [i]Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3[/i] (even though they are 2 different games), I need to learn how to FADC properly and consistently dagflammit. I'm back to trying to learn Guy, too. He's too fun of a character even though you have to put in a lot of work to be successful with him.

Also, I'm really curious about [b]Dragon's Dogma[/b] along with [b]The Witcher 2[/b], with the latter on the Xbox 360 now. Considering I couldn't really get into Skyrim (I don't know what's wrong with me, but "shrugs" whatever) and they both look similar to that game in terms of setting (I really hate these kind of time periods) but Dragon's Dogma looks like it has that style of combat that I like about Devil May Cry series (The same guy is behind it afterall), and The Witcher 2 I'm still on the fence about. Have anyone tried The Witcher 2 yet?

Kinda thought there'd be more talk about both.

[b]Uncharted 2[/b] is so god damn awesome. It's up there with [b]Saints Row: The Third[/b] in making me feel like I'm in a gonzo action movie, although [b]Saints Row[/b] is crazier than [b]Uncharted[/b]. The advantage [b]Uncharted[/b] has, though, is that it's more dramatic and intense because Naughty Dog is so good at making you feel like a relatively normal dude who is scraping through these impossible situations by the skin of his teeth. I'm through chapter 12 right now, and thus far I've [spoiler]climbed up through a broken train back onto a snowy mountain, committed a heist, ran away from a tank, jumped from a collapsing building into another, battled a helicopter, carried a dying man through alleyways while being shot at from all directions, and ran away from a crap ton of soldiers through those same alleyways.[/spoiler] This is all [i]way[/i] more awesome than anything from the first game. At least I can appreciate the leap Naughty Dog takes in this one.

Finished [b]Uncharted 2[/b] and loved it the whole way through. There are more than a few parts that are tough and frustrating, but unlike the first game, it's a fair challenge. Even during parts where I die a lot -- like the part with the helicopter on the train, or the tank -- it never feels as if the enemies are able to kill me whenever they want. And the whole thing is a big, crazy experience from start to finish. If I have one complaint, it's that there's not enough Sully in the game! He's basically nowhere to be seen in the second half of the game, which sucks because I love his character archetype. Sully is awesome.

[b]Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition 2012[/b]

I just tried going through Ibuki's and Cammy's trial. For Ibuki I made it all the way to trial 21, and for Cammy, only trial 11. For the most part Ibuki seems like a rather easy character to learn, but I hear she's very execution heavy. The same goes for Cammy. Both characters seem like a lot of fun, especially Ibuki. In any case, my brother-in-law will be back in the states within the next couple of weeks and I figured now would be a good time to start putting in more time for these 2 characters (along with Makoto and probably C.Viper).

A bit more than halfway through [b]Uncharted 3[/b] right now. So far it's about equal with [b]Uncharted 2[/b]. It's not as explosive as the prior game (the climax at the chateau and the chase through the city in Yemen are both awesome, but they aren't quite as wild as the biggest scenes in [b]Uncharted 2[/b]), but the basic gameplay is a step above [b]Uncharted 2[/b], in particular the melee combat. It's solid in [b]Uncharted 2[/b], but [b]3[/b] quickens the pace and adds enough options to make melee combat legitimately fun. I've actually beat more people up than I've shot so far! Never would have thought I'd write that after how awful the melee combat is in the first game.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF]So a couple of weeks ago I joined the cool kids club and got a PS3, and I'm really enjoying having one. I got Tales of Graces as well, and a PS Store card, which I used to download Spyro: Year of the Dragon and Xenogears, and definitely more to come once I get into some funds.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF][b]Tales of Graces[/b] has a really, and I mean [i]really [/i]slow start. Even after you plod through the prologue [which is apparently so unanimously reviled that the PS3 version has an option to skip it if you have enough GRADE on your New Game+], it's still really slow. It's not until about 15 or so hours in that it reaches its first point of interest -- [spoiler]Richard going absolutely batcrap insane on some poor yut, when up until that point they had given absolutely no indication whatsoever that he'd be like that. It's not bloody and gory or anything, but it makes it pretty abundantly clear that the victim would have been pretty badly cut up if it were an M-rated game.[/spoiler][/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF]So yeah. In its favor, the battle system is more streamlined and the characters are really fun. So I'm gonna keep plugging along, at the very least.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF][b]Xenogears [/b]is a game I've wanted to play for a long, long time, and am happy to finally get the chance to. I am aware of the game's problems [especially the deal with disc 2], but I have a feeling I'll enjoy it. I'm not very far, though -- I'm just now in the desert with Citan to look for parts for Weltall...and that took long enough because I got absolutely confused in that forest beforehand.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF]And [b]Spyro: Year of the Dragon[/b]...it's Spyro. Good, clean, silly fun. Maybe I'll try to 100% it now that I actually own a working copy.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][color=#9900FF][b]EDIT[/b]: Oh right, I almost forgot. I think I'm developing an addiction to [b]Playstation Home[/b] for some weird reason. I like wandering around enough, but then I discovered Indie Park, which is really fun and fairly quiet [in that there's not very many n00bs there usually].[/color][/size][/font] Edited by Sangome

• 2 weeks later...
Beat [b]Uncharted 3[/b] a couple of weeks ago ... like it about as much as [b]Uncharted 2[/b], and I'd say its greatest set pieces are the best of the series, but parts of the ending rub me the wrong way. I'm not huge on the [spoiler]"It's all drug water!"[/spoiler] twist; however, it does lead to the awesome parts where [spoiler]Nate is tripping out and fighting (what he sees as) crazy fire monsters[/spoiler], which is pretty cool. Overall, though, the final area feels like a retread of [b]Uncharted 2[/b]'s finale. It also feels weird that [spoiler]Naughty Dog goes out of its way to state that this city doesn't involve anything supernatural when the clues to the city are guarded in a supernatural way (the spiders). Then again, I guess you could infer that the supernatural business is the cluekeeper's way of guarding the secrets and has nothing to do with the folks who built the city (because, after all, they slaughtered each other due to being zonked out on drugs). Just strange that there's one supernatural element in the game ... and then nothing. Feels like Naughty Dog didn't want to have supernatural stuff after going so heavy with it in the first two games, but they decided at the last minute to toss something in.[/spoiler]

But whatever. Still enjoyed the game a great deal. Gameplay-wise, I'd say it's the best in the series. The shooting is on the same level, although I think enemies soak up a bit more damage than in 2 (but not nearly as much as in the first game). The melee combat is improved even more, even if it's still button mashy. The new stealth moves are cool, too, even if I used the leap stealth kill maybe once outside of the tutorial, haha.

Now I'm playing [b]Batman: Arkham Asylum[/b]. It's fun so far, although I don't think I'm enjoying it as much as I should because I don't have the combat system quite down yet. Too used to button mashing after [b]Uncharted[/b], haha. Getting the most out of [b]Arkham Asylum[/b]'s fighting requires more thought and dexterity. I'll get it soon.

You're going to enjoy Asylum, Shinmaru. It was great trying to solver every riddle and getting dossier info on characters. In case you didn't know, there's apparently a secret room near Warden Sharp's office. Finding it isn't important for a 100% play through, and you need a lot of explosives to get it open.

Many people loved Arkham Asylum, but I'm one of those few oddballs that never cared for it. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game by any means. The stealth part of it was spot on, and the combat portion was good for the most part, but for me, someone who comes off of playing games like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden and God of War, Arkham Asylum just felt like it was lacking in comparison. I could never explain what that "something" is that it's lacking, but I just know it made me not really care for the rest of the game even though I did beat it. Now Arkham City blows its predecessor out of the water. While I never finished the game, I hear that it has a new game + as well (something else that AA is lacking), and then, playing as Batman just made me feel like I'm that dude you don't want to mess with.

Anyway, my brother-in-law got back to the U.S. about 3 days ago, and today we ran a set in [b]Super Street Fighter 4: AE 2012[/b] (about up to 10-15). Out of that, I won about 4 (yeah, I'm still pretty bad at the game). The characters I ended up winning with was Cody, Cammy, and Evil Ryu (2, 1, 1). And because I won with those 3 characters I decided they are going to be my primary and secondary characters. I actually put in a lot of time with Cody so I can see some of that work is actually paying off now, granted I still don't really FADC all that well in the midst of matches, nor do I tech throws (I'm terrible at that), and that's what caused me to lose a lot of my games. Cammy on the otherhand, I never really used played with her in an actual match, but her frame traps are something else, and she's a lot of fun. Evil Ryu, I don't know, I gotta have a shoto character, and besides, I like his moveset. I murdered my brother-in-law's Makoto with him. Other characters I tried using were Ryu, Akuma, Yun, Yang, Guy, Juri, Ibuki, Abel, and C.Viper. I see potential in my C.Viper, Yang and Juri, but the other characters, I have no hope, at least not on a d-pad lol.

I also started playing [b]Asura's Wrath[/b] yesterday. It's definately over-the-top, and while I don't mind QTE's I wish Capcom did somethings a little differently; mainly give us more opportunities to play as Asura, but for the most part I got this game simply because I was in need of some serious anger management, and this game was really curing that, but like I said, if there were more opportunities to play as Asura, say like God of War or Devil May Cry, this game could've been a instant favorite.

Now I'm thinking about buying a PS2 again (Gave my old and busted up ps2 to my sister-in-law) because I'm in the mood for some JRPG's and the only JRPG's I want to play right now are the Shin Megami Tensei games, and since Atlus don't seem to be making any HD remakes anytime soon, this is the only solution I can think of.

Edit:

Once again, my brother-in-law and I played quite a few rounds of SSF4:AE today, and I got bodied, and quite frankly, I'm furious. I don't know if he found a way to do unblockables, or if I wasn't holding down + back, but some reason I wasn't blocking good at all. Execution errors out the wazoo which wouldn't let me do my Ultra's, poor attempts at tic-throws. The only thing I got good at this time was anti-airing and even that wasn't all that successful. My air-to-air suck too. Anyway, I decided to take a break from the fighting games for a little bit, at least until I come back from EVO.

In the meantime, I finally got my hands on a PS2 again along with some of the Shin Megami Tensei games. [b]Persona 3: FES, Persona 4, and Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1[/b]. I'll probably start playing one of those soon, and then I have Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga 2 coming in the mail.

I just hope I don't get burned out on these RPG's again since it's been a long time since I've played a JRPG. Edited by Magus

• 2 weeks later...
Just beat two of Joker's Titan brutes, and now I'm on my way back to Arkham Mansion to get some clues to the whereabouts of Killer Croc's hideout. (Though I'll be shocked if he isn't hiding in the sewer somewhere. :p) The game's picked up much more now that I'm decent at the combat. I'm by no means an expert, but let's just say my Batman kicks a fair amount of ass. My only problem with the gameplay is that the detective sequences feel fillery. The combat and predator stuff is a lot of fun, but the detective work is so simplistic -- it's basically "scan this thing and follow it to your next destination." Pretty boring.

Also played a bit of [b]Assassin's Creed[/b]. Just finished the first memory block. The controls are actually much less confusing than I thought they'd be, though I'm [i]awful[/i] at swordfighting. Sneaky kills will definitely be the way to go for me, haha.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally beat [b]Arkham Asylum[/b] today. Honestly, I got tired of the setting by the end, but that's counteracted by my love of the combat system. I slowly got better at it over the course of the game until by the end I routinely strung together 15x-20x combos and got in the high 30s against big groups. (Unfortunately, I'm not [i]quite[/i] good enough to get that 40x achievement yet ...) When everything clicks and you've got the combat system down, it feels pretty awesome. Probably took me a bit longer than most because I can play games only a couple of times per week, so I was rusty when returning to the game.

But yeah. [b]Arkham Asylum[/b] is awesome. And so is [b]Arkham City[/b], which I started today. The thing I noticed immediately is that the timing for the combat is much more forgiving. It's most apparent with counters -- you have a large window to do them in [b]Arkham City[/b], whereas in [b]Asylum[/b] it's relatively tight. Not totally sure how I feel about that, but I will say it felt pretty fuckin' awesome to score a 38x combo in my first real fight of the game. And it's not like you can button mash your way through the fights. There's still a definite rhythm to the combat. It's just an easier rhythm to grasp.

I also adore the look of Arkham City. The urban environment is fun to fling around in, and the main buildings I've seen have great outlandish, distinct looks to them. Don't think I'll be getting bored of this place by the end!

Currently progressing through Legend of Legaia. It's the first time I've actually played this game so it's gonna be tough. Also, everything is crazy expensive in this game and monsters don't drop enough cash.

Edit: I'm also playing Catherine right now. It's got some pretty freaky things going on with it, just got past the third day so I'm gonna see even weirder things. Edited by Silver Mech

Further in [b]Arkham City[/b]: just beat [spoiler]Penguin[/spoiler] and am on my way to see [spoiler]Ra's al Ghul[/spoiler]. The game has been plenty of fun. I'm finding the overall story much more engaging than in [b]Arkham Asylum[/b]; the power struggle among the supervillains is pretty cool, and I'm liking the intrigue built with Hugo Strange. Loving all the new options with combat, as well. I haven't even used every option available to me yet, haha. It's really crazy.

[b]Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's WC2011: Into the Nexus[/b]
I'm not a fan of Yu-Gi-Oh at all, at least, not anymore (but it was the cause of me getting into message boards in the 1st place). Anyway, I beat the a long time ago. I'm just trying to unlock these World Championship packs. If anything, I treat this game as a time killer.

[b]Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition[/b]
This time it was 3 of us in Endless Battle. Me, my brother-in-law, and his friend. For the most part my brother-in-law's friend and I were getting bodied, but at the same time they were fairly close battles. I did manage to beat him and even got on a 3-4 game winning streak. I won with Rose, Cammy, Cody, Oni, and Juri (of all people..). What I learned this time is that I need to have patience. Also, I still need to cover the basics, because, if I learn proper spacing and footsies, and when to tic-throw, my brother-in-law would definately have a tougher time. The sad part is I see every single mistake he's doing, I just don't know how to punish properly for those mistakes. So, what I'm hoping for during this week and the week after I get back from Vegas (going to EVO) is to just spend 2-3 hours in training/trial mode (if I can actually commit to it) and work on spacing, footsies, and some basic bread and butter combos along with basic punish combos. But for the most part, unlike last time, this time I was actually having more fun. Edited by Magus

• 2 weeks later...
[i]I only play a couple of games a week at most, so I'm playing these over the course of several months.[/i]

[size=5][b]Stacking[/b] on Xbox 360[/size]

I just started playing this, and so far I'm quite impressed. The design is extremely cohesive, with everything revolving around stacking different dolls for different abilities, and all of it is infused with great humor and an unusual but pleasant artistic direction. Experimentation is encouraged, and therefore puzzles are interesting to solve. Essentially, it's a great adventure game so far.

[size=5][b]Xenoblade: Chronicles[/b] on Nintendo Wii[/size]

A seemingly lengthy JRPG. I've played over two dozen hours of it, and I'm fairly certain I'm still pretty early in the game. I enjoy some of the design decisions the developers made, many of which look to be borrowed from Western RPGs, to address traditional issues of the subgenre: Encounters transition seamlessly from exploration to combat; most abilities cool down before they can be reused again, as opposed to using a mana meter; the player doesn't lose progress if he dies in battle (this may or may not be a benefit, but for now I'm ok with it). The story is interesting, the English voice acting is thankfully free of cheese, and the environments are gorgeous. I haven't been this invested in a fantasy JPRG since FFX.

[size=5][b]2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa[/b] on Xbox 360[/size]

I'm playing this because I don't have the latest FIFA, and the next FIFA is two months away, and I'm going through a UEFA 2012 hangover. I'm not sure if I'll still want to play a football videogame when [i]FIFA 13[/i] comes out.

[size=5][b]Max Payne[/b] on Xbox with Xbox 360 software emulation[/size]

My goal is to play all Max Payne games in a row. The first MP holds up surprisingly well.

[size=3]I was really hooked on [b]SWTOR[/b] until graduation rolled around (it turned out to be a great way to save my liver and grades - surprisingly - in my last months of college haha) ... I've banned myself from playing any more until after I take the LSAT, but I'm super excited to play again. Really wish I could start a guild with some folks but too many friends are burned out from years of WoW or don't want to pay $60 for the game and then $15/mo after. ;_; If anyone is looking for a SWTOR buddy around October, hit me UP! Played with boyfriend and friend for a few months, but boyfriend got bored of it ... both of us expected more of our friends to get it :,([/size]

[size=3]Also been playing [b]Civilization V[/b] here and there. Pretty neat since I'm really into history. Kinda ambivalent about the categories 'cultural victory,' 'military victory,' etc ... but eh, still fun. And like SWTOR, boyfriend has it and is really good at it. It's like chess on crack. Pairs well with wine and snacks. [/size]

[size=3]Want to start playing MOBA/RTS games but don't know where to start haha. BF is into Heroes of Newerth ... quite stubbornly against DotA. The last time I played one of those was GunBound (lol if that even counts), and I was just starting to kick butt at it ... god I feel old. o_o[/size]

[size=3]Oh yeah ... and heard there are new Pokemon games out ... omg, once the LSAT is over, I can't wait to check them out and see how many thousands of new Pokemon have been added since the last time I checked haha. [/size]

[size=3]Really missing some old games like Animal Crossing and really old ones like Pokemon Snap and Stadium *_* Time to dig through some boxes ...[/size]

[size=3]Ooh yeah, and YourShape for Kinect has been fun, too. Really feel the burn! The game was perfect for the rainy winter season when it was too rainy to get to the gym. Very tempted to get the Star Wars Kinect game too ...[/size] Edited by Juu

[b]Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3[/b]
Who didn't see that coming? :) Going to Evolution 2012 sort of inspired me to get a little better in the game. While I was going there to see what the community was like, I actually wanted to see more of [i]Street Fighter 4[/i] so I can see how people are doing links and whatnot, but turns out I didn't really care for what I saw in SF at all. Underwhelming indeed. Anyway, I tackled mission mode for Nova, Wolverine, Spencer, Dante, Trish, Hawkeye, and Taskmaster. I still have Vergil, She-Hulk, X-23, Storm, Strider, Spider-Man, Magneto, Dr. Doom, Dormammu and Phoenix to do. As I've been saying, Vergil and Spencer are going to be on my main team. I'm just looking for that 3rd character. Also, during mission mode, I decided that I will not be using Taskmaster or Dante. Way too many moves and button combinations for me to remember.

Edit:

[b]Batman: Arkham City (GotY)[/b]
While I am enjoying it, especially more than Arkham Asylum (I didn't care for that), but to be honest, the closer I get to the endgame the more I find myself becoming tired of it and almost catching myself from saying this game is falling flat. I think after I fought with [spoiler]Ra's al Ghul[/spoiler] (probably the best and my favorite fight in the game so far) is where I'm thinking this game was beginning to fall apart. Like Arkham Asylum, it's no Devil May Cry (perhaps my favorite game/series of all time at the moment) nor is it Assassin's Creed (probably my 2nd favorite), but I'd say it falls somewhere between the 2. And much like my issue with Arkham Asylum, I'm beginning to have the same issues here, which I can't explain that well. It's like Rocksteady decided to play it safe when it came to both the stealth parts along with the beat em up parts, and it kind of feels "bleh" at this point. It's not a bad game by any means though.

[b]Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition[/b]
Ever since I got back from EVO 2012 most of my gaming time has been spent on this and [i]Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3[/i]. While I don't plan to enter in any tournies, I'd still like to get better, especially since I plan on going to EVO from here on out mainly to learn stuff. And since it's just 3 of us playing, I'd like to be the better of the 3 :) (If anyone else like to play as well, don't hesitate to ask for my PSN and I'll post it.). I'm only playing casually, but in terms of actually learning the game I'm taking it more serious. I'm still having a bit of an identity crisis. I'm still using Rose for the most part, but now I dropped Juri, Cammy, and Oni. I won't say I dropped Cody because he is still my best character by far, but I am a bit tired of him. I don't have as much fun when I use him. I went back to Guy only to drop him once again. Truthfully, I might pick him up for more of a fun purpose instead of actually trying to learn him in and out. At the moment now, my main characters are Rose, Ibuki and Yun. I'm using Rose because I'm still learning the game and she seems to be basic enough to learn the game with. Ibuki and Yun on the otherhand, I like fast, rushdown type characters with basic inputs. And because I can't really FADC out of a move all that well, they seem like the perfect characters for me to use and they're fun.

[b]Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3[/b]
Like I said, ever since getting back from EVO my attention has been on learning this game as well. And at the moment I'm tinkering with Nova, Spencer, Vergil, and then Spencer, Vergil, Hawkeye. I'm also thinking about Vergil, Dr. Doom, and Hawkeye or Vergil, Taskmaster and Dr. Doom. The variety of characters in this game really makes me like it more and more. Sure there are characters that have an advantage over others but almost every character can really kill you in one touch, and, well, I like that, and it's hype.
Sorry for the long wall of text.

EDIT 2:

[b]Batman: Arkham City (GotY)[/b]
I beat it yesterday. I think it's a lot better than Akham Asylum, but truth be told I still think it could've been so much better. Like its predecessor, it feels as if Rocksteady was trying to play the combat safe, but at the same time I do think it's quite a step-up from AA. I didn't do any of the side missions because I was basically trying to plow through the story, which was pretty good, but by the time I finished fighting [spoiler]Ra's Al Ghul[/spoiler] I started getting fatigued, and from there it just felt like everything was dragging on and on. Overall, I think the game is pretty good. Am I going to keep it long enough to start a new game +? Probably not. Other than finding out who all are in the game, it really left no desire for me to play it again. Edited by Magus