OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[color=#4B0082]I'm finally getting around to watching Hidamari Sketch. I've seen through ep7 so far and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. It's randomly cute and funny and weird all at the same time but without going especially far in any direction. (Well, except for the episode where Yuno was sick and having feverish dreams. That was pretty good.) It's been amusing, and [url=http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hiro06ku6.jpg][u]omg Hiro is pretty[/u][/url] and voiced by Yuko Goto no less, but I liked Pani Poni Dash! more.[/color]

[quote name='Panache'][B]Strawberry Marshmellow ep 1-2[/B]

Man this show is ****ing great. It's really refreshing after watching Rahxephon. It's simple and fun.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]yes. I just got done rewatching Kamichu! which was even better the second time around, probably because it's not easy to block watch and I had a better idea of what to expect, yaknow. But watching it made me think I should go and buy the Ichigo Mashimaro box-set. However it's a little expensive for something I've already seen >_<.

On a side note, I'm wathcing History's Strongest Decile Kenichi which is hilarious despite ungodly terrible animation. Howwever, I found out the manga is still going and a season 3 is in planning., wich made me disappointed knowing the show won't have any sort of ending. I've been looking to get into some longer, more simplistic shows, so I thikn I'll start CardCaptors Sakura next. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I'm actually reading the Ichigo Mashimaro (aka Strawberry Marshmallow) manga right now. I saw the anime series and OAV a while ago and absolutely loved it so I decided to grab the manga as well. It's every bit as awesome as the anime (or I guess it would be the other way around actually) and seems to have made the jump between mediums flawlessly. There are only four volumes out so far, so it's not especially long, but there's still a fair bit of content that didn't make it into the anime or OAV.

And I didn't think it possible but Matsuri-chan is even more adorable in the manga where she has white hair instead of gray.[/color]

[center][img]http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/8153/matsurichanpm5.jpg[/img][/center]

[QUOTE]yes. I just got done rewatching Kamichu! which was even better the second time around, probably because it's not easy to block watch and I had a better idea of what to expect, yaknow. But watching it made me think I should go and buy the Ichigo Mashimaro box-set. However it's a little expensive for something I've already seen >_<. [/QUOTE] It's from Geneon. If no one picks it up for a while the dvd prices might shoot up even more and I might make a profit off of the dvds.

Anyway I doubt this show will be better than Kamichu. It might be funnier when all is said and done but I am pretty sure Kamichu will be better overall. That show was just too damn good.

Still though Strawberry Marshmellow so far is a really upbeat happy fun show. I have high hopes for the rest. If anythign it will defintiely be easier to watch than Rahxephon.

[quote name='Panache']It's from Geneon. If no one picks it up for a while the dvd prices might shoot up even more and I might make a profit off of the dvds.

Anyway I doubt this show will be better than Kamichu. It might be funnier when all is said and done but I am pretty sure Kamichu will be better overall. That show was just too damn good.

Still though Strawberry Marshmellow so far is a really upbeat happy fun show. I have high hopes for the rest. If anythign it will defintiely be easier to watch than Rahxephon.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]NOO it's not as good as Kamichu! but then Kamichu! is in my top 10 alltime favorite anime, however ichigo Mashimaro is a very different experience from that altogether. If you like it, be sure to check out Minami-ke which is by the same people.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']I stand by my opinion that Strawberry Marshmallow would be completely worthless if not for Miu. At the same time, having Miu in all her glory makes it one of the best shows of its type.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well, yeah. However, Miu's tendency to get to the point of OMG ****ing shut the hell up you annoying brat also drags the show down at times. they didn't balance her carefully enough in my opinion. There's a bit of a line between crazy but funny, like say Haruhi or Matsuri (from Kamichu) and crazy to the point that you actually want to step in and slap the little jackass like Miu. I'm glad that the middle sister in Minami-ke fixed this, because in the first ep I was like "oh god, it's Miu all over again" but she quickly showed a multi-faceted personality which made her a far better character. Minami-ke is sort of like the perfected Ichigo Mashimaro, only without the character who made Ichigo Mashimaro for me, the big sis. Because she was pretty much everything I look for in a woman, and pretty much how I see myself in 3 years. I swear to god, if there is a real woman who is like her, I can live and die happy =_= Minami-ke does have Chiaki, though, and she is pretty much hailed as a god, especially on /a/.[/COLOR]

[B]Strawberrry Marshmellow ep 3 [/B]
Miu is starting to stand out as a character and is becoming my favorite. Ana is annoying me. The brown haired loli(forgot her name) is my second favorite. And the other two sisters are somewhere in between. Still a good show. I think it is a lot funnier than things of it's type. Not even the jokes themselves but the way the voice actors say things makes them perfect. If anyone has only seen it subbed you shold really rewatch it dubbed.

Category TV
Total Episodes 13
Genres Mecha -
Release Date 2006-06-16
Studio Answer Studio Sunrise
US Distribution Bandai Entertainment

In 20xx, a civil war broke out in a small country in Asia is getting hard in spite of dispatch of UN forces. But a picture taken by accident in the battle field accelerates the peace process. It is a picture of a flag. Although they are enemies, they cooperate together to fly it in a sanctuary, and the flag becomes the symbol of the peace. However, just before the peace agreement is achieved, the flag is robbed by an armed extremist group in order to obstruct the truce. UN decides to send SDC (Special Development Command) and a cameraman to record their activities. The cameraman is Shirasu Saeko. She is the cameraman who took the picture of the flag. At first they think the mission is easy because they wear latest armed suits, HAVWC(High Agility Versatile Weapon Carrier), but they gets in trouble by unexpected attacks.

Something I picked up because It looked interesting.
[url]http://youtube.com/watch?v=-caJ272LFFQ&feature=related[/url]
[IMG]http://www.aintitcool.com/images2007/anime/flag-dvd1.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]NOO it's not as good as Kamichu! but then Kamichu! is in my top 10 alltime favorite anime, however ichigo Mashimaro is a very different experience from that altogether. If you like it, be sure to check out Minami-ke which is by the same people.[/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Personally I liked Ichigo Mashimaro (and Minami-ke for that matter) more than Kamichu!. Kamichu! was a charming little series but it doesn't have much lasting appeal to me; I already know what Yurie is capable of so watching her discover that a for second time isn't going to be nearly as interesting. I doubt I'd watch it again unless it's together with other people.

Ichigo Mashimaro, on the other hand, actually made me go find the manga and parts I'd already seen in the anime remain fun the second time. Cute and funny has remained cute and funny with little change in how entertaining it is and I can even see myself watching the anime series and OAV again some time down the road.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Personally I liked Ichigo Mashimaro (and Minami-ke for that matter) more than Kamichu!.[/color][/QUOTE]
Kukuku. :smooch:

@FloraFreak: I've got Flag somewhere in my Netflix queue... the visual style (going by what I've seen in trailers) is pretty interesting. I don't think it's full CG, but the way they shade the characters sort of gives it that vibe (not in a bad way).

Set aside True Tears for the time being; it'll have to wait till I'm in the right mood again. Sort of sad that I dropped H2O too soon to see the [spoiler]trappy[/spoiler] hilarity that apparently comes later on. Keep meaning to watch [b]Tokyo Marble Chocolate[/b] (a Production IG OVA), but don't know when I'll get around to it. Gundam 00 and Aria are, as always, rocking my soul.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I like Kamichu more than IchiMaro for a simple reason - Ichimaro is undoubtable cute and original, but no matter how you look at it it's still just average Japanese girls hanging out and doing whatever. Kamichu is just so unique and out there, the way it uses the Shinto beliefs and even just the setting of a port town in the 80s give it a feel that doesn't exist in any other anime.

Anywho... I'm four episodes into La Corda d'Oro. The lead character looks so much like Utena Tenjou that I have random Utena flashbacks all the time, haha. So far, it's pretty much your standard shoujo fair and, oddly enough, your standard dating sim adaption fare, but the intriguing directing style and great music give it an edge.

and finally,

So, umm... why was I never informed that Loveless was so amazing? I really need to stop thinking that shows are going to suck just because of their fanbases >_< Two episodes in, Loveless is just absolutely incredible. The visual style, the characters, the raw emotion. Every ounce of the show has a tragic, depressing tone, as well. So far, I enjoy the characters, however I am under the impression that all of them are bat **** ****ing insane. Yuiko better have one seriousl ****** up past, because the way she acts is so off-the-wall it borders on rediculous.[/COLOR]

Loveless is also blessed with the best [spoiler]yuri[/spoiler] couple in any anime ever, as far as I'm concerned. I still have hopes for a second season... maybe when the manga finishes its run?

Just read the last two volumes of [b]Godchild[/b]. It had a fitting end, and I was surprised by how (huge spoilers, don't look if you ever plan to check out this series) Kaori Yuki managed to [spoiler]resolve the Riff and Riffael issue. I would've been happier if they merged somehow, but I suppose that would've made the death scenes less touching and more confusing.[/spoiler]

They were my favorite characters by far, of course, but I also ended up liking Jizabel and even Alexis a lot more than I'd expected. One of the nice side effects of [spoiler]the Riffael plot twist[/spoiler] was that Cain got to become twice as badass in volumes 7 & 8, which also pleased me.

Whatever else gets said about Yuki-sensei, she really knows how to pull off those sweeping dramatic set pieces. The pacing at the end--everything from [spoiler]Riff and Cain under the rubble[/spoiler] to the last few panels--was perfect. [size=1]And I shed a few tears, I'm not gonna lie...[/size]

Now someone needs to license Ludwig Kakumei.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Loveless is also blessed with the best [spoiler]yuri[/spoiler] couple in any anime ever, as far as I'm concerned. I still have hopes for a second season... maybe when the manga finishes its run?[/size]

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I keep hearing good and bad things on this anime.

Anyways, right now I am watching two anime series. Brigadoon and To Heart. To Heart has its moments but I often feel like the main character of Golden Boy with how he eagerly expects something great to happen and it's the opposite instead. I wish it was going faster.

I am very impressed with Brigadoon. I want to watch more and more. I possibly want to buy this anime as well.

As for manga, only two interest me. +Anima and Vampire Knight. I love the artwork for Vampire Knight and +Anima's plot is cute so far.[/SIZE]

[quote name='sothis']Currently I'm watching the Magic Doll Licca movie. ^_^[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing this is something that comes after the TV series?

Yesterday I caught up with* the (American release of) the Gunslinger Girl manga. Okay, Yu Aida, you win: I like Petrushka, even if--and I feel doubly weird thinking this--she's too old.

The end of the Pinocchio arc was haunting. Looking back, I suppose I probably put off reading the rest of it because it was clear what would happen, and I really loved the [spoiler]Franca/Franco/Pinocchio[/spoiler] trio, so much so that I pretty much ended up rooting for them. I'd have liked a few more pages of closure afterward... not with them, but with [spoiler]wounded Triela and Hillshire.[/spoiler]

*This was probably driven by my despair over Il Teatrino. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][b]Eureka 7[/b] - While it looks good, I'm bias against the series itself. I have a personal hatred for the romance genre, and to make it between two kids (teens... "shrugs" same difference) no less is only adding fuel to the fire. Renton is less annoying than Shinji, but he's still annoying. Eureka was a decent character when she was quiet.

I like the other characters, though, (except for the 3 kids) with Holland being my favorite. (of course.)

I'm still watching [b]Basilisk[/b] as well. Saw the 4th episode on thrusday. While it's interesting, I'm starting to get mixed feelings about it. For the first time I'm starting to wish that the episodes become a little draggy, in terms of fighting that is, because I want to see more of what some of these characters can do with their abilities, but the fighting keeps on getting cut short.

And then the whole Romeo and Juliet... The romance here is more on a mature basis, but it's still annoying no less.[/COLOR]