OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

Watching:

[B][U]Black Lagoon[/U][/B] - this series is pretty good, and I finish half of the series and can't wait until I watch the other half. Other then that, this series is one of my favorite because you have a hot chick who can kick *** with any gun she got. Yes, Revy is so freakin cool.

[B][U]One Piece[/U][/B] - currently I have started to rewatch the series from the beginning again because I think around episode 188 I stop watching it and I keep missing to watch the episode. I just got finish watching episode 71 and on currently watching episode 72 now.

• 3 weeks later...
Most recently I have started back up on watching [COLOR="Pink"][B][SIZE="2"]Mermaid Melody[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] and I love that show. I wish I could just find the manga :animecry:

I have also been watching and reading [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="2"][B]Code Geass[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]and I love that show too. Lelouch and Suzaku are awesome and delicious:animeblus:animeblus:animeshy::animeswea:love::blush::heart::love2::luv:

Currently, I've been watching [b]Gunslinger Girl[/b] for the first time. I always thought it looked interesting, but some of my friends convinced me to actually watch the first episode a few days ago, saying how good it was, and so far I have to agree. I just finished episode eight, which is when they tell Angelica's story. Other then that, has anyone watched the second season? And is it as good as the first?

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][b]Gurren Lagann[/b] - It's not the best thing as people are making it out to be, and it's not as bad as I made it out to be either. It's pretty decent from what I've seen of the first two episodes. I'm still on the fence a little bit about the fanservice. Kamina is an idiot. [spoiler]Hands-off-my-beloved-little-brother PUNCH!!![/spoiler] I laughed and "face palmed" at the same time, because of how corny that was. Might as well've just said JUSTICE PUNCH since they have the same voice actor. I swear Kamina is definately the GREAT SAIYAMAN!

[b]Hajime no Ippo[/b] - I haven't watched it recently. Last episode I believe I saw was episode 8 or 9... I remember [spoiler]Ippo being down because Miyata (sp?) wasn't showning up at the gym anymore, and saw what the other guy was going through and whatnot. Saw him Box. Miyata made a challenge.[/spoiler] And that was all I remember.

[strike][b]Rave Master[/b] - Well, 10 minutes of it anyway. That was really horrible. Why Sci-Fi decided to pick that up is beyond me.[/strike]

That's all. I should probably try collecting some Gundam dvd's since it's not on demand anymore... I was hoping that Sci-Fi would air those... "shrugs" oh well.[/FONT]

[quote name='Rurouni922']Currently, I've been watching [b]Gunslinger Girl[/b] for the first time. I always thought it looked interesting, but some of my friends convinced me to actually watch the first episode a few days ago, saying how good it was, and so far I have to agree. I just finished episode eight, which is when they tell Angelica's story. Other then that, has anyone watched the second season? And is it as good as the first?[/QUOTE]

The second season is unfortunately the worst thing in the history of time. I personally am a huge Gunslinger Girl fan, especially of the manga, and thought the first season was a perfect adaption of the first 2 graphic novels. Unfortunately the second season is 100% different and horrible. It's done by a different studio with new character designs and voice actors and none of the emotion from the first series is there. Pretty much every Gunslinger Girl fan blasted the show and dropped it. I dropped it in under 5 minutes it was so horrible.

This is a real shame because the manga really picks up whre the first seaosn left off. I highly suggest reading the manga.

[quote name='Magus'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"] I'm still on the fence a little bit about the fanservice.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

That was something that was hard for me to get over as well. I thoroughly enjoyed Gurren Lagann, but sometimes it's pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, what I'm (re-)reading right now is [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=2411][b]Hana Yori Dango[/b][/url]. I do not know what kind of fangirl devil has possessed me, but it has caused me to not only spend the entire night last week reading it the first time, but also got me to re-read it two days later. I have since then gone over favorite scenes countless times; therefore, I am currently still enjoying its shoujo wonder.
One thing that bugged me about HanaDan was the early artwork. Doumyouji looks like [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Monkey-chan/ugglesdomyouji.jpg][color=red]a frickin' clown[/color][/url] (admittedly I've chosen a particularly horrid picture to show off here, but still). Good thing is, if you compare that to [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/Monkey-chan/itsdomyouji.jpg][color=red]a (much) later picture of him[/color][/url] you can see the artwork vastly improves. In fact, I was surprised to find myself thinking, "Damn, he's hot..." [A rarity in my case; I'm not the type to fangirl over a guy just 'cause he's good looking.]

[quote name='2009DigitalBoy']The second season is unfortunately the worst thing in the history of time. I personally am a huge Gunslinger Girl fan, especially of the manga, and thought the first season was a perfect adaption of the first 2 graphic novels. Unfortunately the second season is 100% different and horrible. It's done by a different studio with new character designs and voice actors and none of the emotion from the first series is there. Pretty much every Gunslinger Girl fan blasted the show and dropped it. I dropped it in under 5 minutes it was so horrible.

This is a real shame because the manga really picks up whre the first seaosn left off. I highly suggest reading the manga.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I noticed the art change between the two seasons from a few screen caps. As for the manga, I'm probably gonna check it out the next time I'm at a Barnes and Nobles or Borders since I hear it's actually much better than the anime.

• 2 weeks later...
[b]Gundam Seed Destiny[/b] - 1st three episodes of it anyway. Finally get to see a Gundam show from the beginning. Unfortunately, it's not 00 (I regret not seeing it when I had the chance :(), but it is a Gundam show that I've never seen, nevertheless.

First impressions... Action-y, right up my alley. It's colorful too. It has that weird character design that I don't care much for though. I'll adapt though.

I've heard quite a few folks names that begins with an "A" (I think) and they all sounded the same.. I have to hear them again though.

It's pretty good so far. Although it's kind of confusing.. The main character(s) is who now?

I am currently reading [B]Skip Beat[/B] vol. 16, and the story is pretty good right now. I have nothing to say as I won't spoil any of the storyline if someone have never read it before. Right now, things in the story of Skip Beat is getting more good as the story advances more. I can't wait until vol. 18 of Skip Beat comes out soon.

I watched the first episode of [b]Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood[/b] earlier. It's kind of confusing, since the whole idea is that this "sequel" will be following along the manga's plot, yet the first episode was something never seen in the manga. It gets clearer later though, and it's actually pretty interesting that the events are happening [i]right before[/i] the events of the first manga.
This episode was basically just a way to introduce the audience to the series again (OMG NO WAI) and remind everyone that, "Hey, these characters exist." I think they were also showing off (AGAIN, NO WAI). Anyway, the animation was pretty - heck, really frickin' pretty - and the music that I remember was nice. They kinda overdid it on the "lol ed is short" jokes though.
One last comment: Funi's site took FOREVER to load the darn thing. [u]Two hours[/u], people! And I have high speed internet! Man, they must be getting a lot of traffic.

Otherwise, I've just been watching [b]Ichigo Mashimaro[/b] and [b]Kanon[/b] through theO's Anime Club. They're... okay. [b]Ichigo Mashimaro[/b] is too much cute for my tastes, but I'll stick with it somehow. [b]Kanon[/b], while still bursting with moe, is a bit more interesting. I just hope it doesn't disappoint. :/

[size=1]I just finished watching the first episode of [b]Sengoku Basara[/b]. It's, um, interesting, to say the least. While I recognize some of these characters from the game (but then again, I've never gotten far in the game either), there are a few that I don't know at all. Specifically speaking about some girl dressed in an all black, skin-tight outfit (You can definately tell where your fanservice is going to be coming from.), and I think she's suppose to be a ninja....

One thing I'm not too sure will fit here is the comedy. It just throws everything out of whack for me, considering who the comedy is coming from. Yukimura and comedy just has me going "....." It don't fit him imo.

The action also gives me a mixed opinion. I know I'm basing all of this from the game (bad Magus bad.) but I was under the impression that the fighting was going to be a little bit more realistic (Think Moribito) but it's more like Naruto/Bleach with all the fire and stuff. (I know it's in the game, but not as heavily as it is here.) Don't get me wrong, the fighting is still pretty good though, but coming from Production IG, this is something I'd never expect them to do. "shrugs"

The animation is nice. Not much to say about it lol. It's Production I.G. afterall, lol.

Pretty decent first episode though. If this were to come to the states, I'd watch it.[/size]

I'm not a mecha buff or anything, but it seems to have the action that I crave, so I may give more shows a try in the genre. I'm still waiting for comcast to put on some more episodes of [i]Gundam Seed Destiny[/i], so I'm being occupied with [b]Code Geass[/b] 1st season, but comcast only has episode 13 up, and I'd like to catch it from the beginning.

I hope they continue to play the series out before taking it off because I see a lot of potential in this series. The first time I came into this series I was a little skeptical about it taking place in a school setting and all. (That type of setting screams fanservice.) But I figured that this can't possibly have more fanservice than the first episode of Ikki Tousen: Great Guardian's first episode (DO NOT WATCH IT).

I did see a couple of episodes of the 2nd season, and people seem to have a problem with it. Fighting-wise, I'm impressed. All that other stuff.... I have no idea what's going on lol. It seems to have a pretty decent group of characters.... I think.

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] got me started on [B]Glass Fleet[/B]. The animation is surprisingly well done and the theatrics and politics in it are very entertaining. That and the music so far is excellent stuff. Best part of all is it's up on Funimation's site so watching it is a snap.

• 2 weeks later...
Real Drive.

It's beautiful at times... but Minami is just awful. It's one of those characters that makes you want to [I]see[/I] them get brutally murdered for their retardation. Obviously she didn't get a cyber-brain because the doctors found out she doesn't have an organic one, either.

I'm continuing to follow Higashi no Eden (gets even wierder) and Hatsukoi Limited (not bad, makes me laugh sometimes), too.

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"]Just started watching [B]K-on![/B] It's so funny. Kind of reminds me of a more serious Lucky Star, even thought it's not really all that serious. But, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has more of a plot. And I'm still trying to figure out why it's considered Seinen... Is it because of all the moe? Hmm...

Started watching [B]Higashi no Eden[/B] as well. Interesting storyline so far & really good OP & ED. The premise made me think of Fate/Stay Night.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Lets see. Pretty much what's in my siggy is what I've been checking out.

Watching
-------------
[b]Gundam Seed Destiny[/b] (ep. 6) - I don't really have much to say about this one, other than Shinn and Cagali (sp? Yay, I'm finally getting names) are getting on my nerves and whatnot. I'm getting my fill of action as well, so it's all good.

[b]Tales of the Abyss[/b] (ep. 5) - I'm surprised with the pacing, like how fast characters are being introduced and whatnot. I thought, for certain that things would get a little draggy here and there, but it's moving pretty nicely. [spoiler]Already talking about Akzeriuth (sp?)[/spoiler]

[b]Code Geass[/b] (ep 15) - Err.... The first episode that I've really sat down and watched was episode 13. Comcast on demand (I've been jumping back and forth between on demand and adult swim) decided to skip episode 14 and went straight to 15.. I wanted to see what the orange-headed girl (Shirley?) was gonna do... I really do wish that it would start from the beginning one of these days since I've grown onto battles of wits. I can do without the unnecessary "comical" moments and fanservice (I haven't see too much though.)

[b]Gundam 00[/b] (ep. 5) - Uhh, yeah, my current mecha/action fix at the moment. And it's gonna take me a while to learn these names. (let alone spell them) I only know Lock-on and Setsuna. The purple-haired guy (I swear.. do artists really picture guys as females?) is sort of "bleh"-ish... Talks to freakin low for me to know anything about the guy. The [spoiler]split personality[/spoiler] guy looks like he might be the interesting one of the bunch.

Yeah, I've been taking a liking to mecha as of late.

Reading
-----------
The typical One Piece, Bleach and Naruto trio. (Which One Piece seems to be the only one out of the big three that's been satisfying.)

Hiya!!

Reading-wise, I'm reading The Dark Tower by Stephen King. I know this is not manga but I can close my eyes and imagine a perfect Anime with all these cool characters and settings. If I was millionaire, I would fund the project.

Anime: Bleach. I hated Bleach in the beginning because I thought it was a kiddie show akin to Naruto. It still is...and then some. The characters drive the story, with their quirks and personalities; Ichigo and Rukia have the best male-female non-item relationship since the Mulder and Scully (X-Files). Rukia particularily is an abnormality for an Anime Female Lead, because she's small, not model material, cranky and obnoxious - which makes her a truly original character.

The mix of humour and drama + the fights = winning combination! where else do you get a scruffy, criminal-looking antihero like Kenpachi with a pink haired baby in the shoulder?

Well, that's what I'm up to. What do you think?

The Dark Tower idea is great, and I bet it would be even popular in Japan because of its otherworldly storyline and setting. Unfortunately, not many great science fiction works have been transferred to the big screen successfully... the Hyperion saga deserves something like that, for instance...

Also, how can you watch something starting from a random episode? That's like opening a book right in the middle. Some postmodernists may argue that it's the right idea, I however don't think so.
Fortunately Code Geass doesn't contain much in terms of humour. It does have a lot of tragedy and pathos, which go overboard at times and still manage to remain awesome. Also, I like the ruthlessness with which all the whiny goody two-shoes are treated. You know when you want some characters to [I]shut up and die[/I]? They do here, in nasty ways. The ending's sort of a pity, but it fits almost perfectly.

Currently I'm watching Mushi-Shi again. A unique experience.
Also, when I need to relax somewhat, I watch an episode of Pani Poni Dash. Also great;)

Watching.

[B]Bleach[/B]: I'm not sure really, even tho the action is getting higher it seems like the show is slipping abit from me, maybe its cause they dont show the fights i want atm xD

[B]Naruto[/B]: It died abit for me once dattebayo stopped subbing. I mean people say they are being ***** about everything and trolling but when I saw the selections once they stopped it was like... horrible subs that are horrible and translating the word that was usualy "geez" into "zoinkz" who says that but shaggy..
Then ni-san was translated into "brah" and some typos, and no kareoke.

[B]D Gray man[/B]: I wasnt abit to sure if i liked it at the start, with the way the lvl 1 akumas looked and the corny named stuff but after seeying what it started becomming, the corny names became awsome like the show and when i thought it couldnt get better it stepped up even more in season 2, tho i heard manga is still ongoing but the anime isnt.