OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

I finished [b]Rose of Versailles[/b] and fell completely in love with it -- the series is now sitting comfortably in my all-time top 10. There's so much to love about it: The characters, the style (my god the style <3), the intensity of the story, etc. Amazingly ahead of its time. If something the quality of [b]Rose of Versailles[/b] were released today, it would crush all in its path.

Now I am watching [b]Shion no Ou[/b]. It is a solid show that is half murder mystery and half sports anime (sport used loosely) revolving around shogi. The main is a middle school student whose parents were murdered in front of her eyes eight years prior, and her memories and a king shogi piece left at the scene are the only remaining clues. Shion progresses through the world of shogi while police work to unearth the murderer, who has recently surfaced and is after Shion. The episodes aren't always great, but when two good characters match up, it is generally interesting and intense. The murderer seems kind of obvious at this point, though ... (I'm at ep15 of 22).

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="#862A51"]My anime watching has been next to nil for a good while now, but I've struck gold, as Syfy is now airing [B]Monster[/B]. I sampled the first episode some time ago and put it on hold, but I'm definitely keeping with it on Syfy's run, as I'm already hooked two episodes in.

And considering how dark that series is supposed to be [and out of pure boredom], I randomly decided to start watching [B]The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya[/B]. I've only seen the first three or four eps of the actual Haruhi series, and read a little bit of the first light novel, but I figure I know enough about it anyway to enjoy it. And I do, it's a cute, fun little series in 2-5 minute-long episodes, so I can watch a good handful at a time. I'll probably wind up watching [B]Nyoro~n Churuya-san[/B] next for the heck of it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Kaze']Started watching [b]Mamono Hunter Yohko[/b], [b]Moihime Musou[/b], [b]Slayers Revolution[/b], and still need to finish [b]Blue Drop[/b].[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually watched anything, or progressed any further in these series I mentioned last post. Instead, I randomly watched [b]Princess Tutu[/b].

I was just lounging at home, and thought "holy crap, I should really watch Princess Tutu". I just recalled watching the very end of the series at Otakon a couple years back with my buddy, and thinking how weird and interesting it was.

Mind you, we walked in on the last disc, and didn't realize it untill I looked it up on Wikipedia (I brought my laptop into the Video Room...yeah, I looked up the anime while watching it. I'm one of [b]those guys[/b]).

I appreciated this unique approach towards magical girl shows, it was kind of a refreshing change of pace for me. I enjoyed the music, the storybook approach towards progressing events, and the ballet dance-offs (wtf).

[SIZE=1]Went back and finished out [B]Gundam SEED Destiny[/B] last weekend, wasn't quite as unimpressed as I'd expected although somewhat underwhelmed by the end product I must admit I loved the music. I still say that if the series was properly reworked it would be one of the best overall Gundam series.

Still watching [B]Bleach[/B], caught the latest episodes raw earlier today and while initially the filler impressed me I'm starting to feel it's dragging on slightly. I still laugh though that Hisagi who has the same seiyuu as Kamina has Kittan's seiyuu for a zanpakuto. Makes sense I suppose.

[B]Darker than Black 2[/B] is shaping up rather nicely as well after only two episodes. As with the original series I'm hooked right from the start, although I do hope some of the characters from the first season return.
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Well I finished [B]Ghost Hunt[/B]. Since it moved to rely more heavily on the supernatural I found the second half no where as good as the first. The ending was rather weak too. I would say it's worth watching once. If you really like ghost stories, you'd probably enjoy it more than I did.

Anyway, now I'm on to [B]Monster[/B] since it's being aired on SyFy every Monday. It's perfect since only two episodes a week fits in with my busy schedule. So far I'm impressed with the voice cast for it. Especially Johan. They got his calm voice perfectly so it really adds to the creepy aura he's supposed to have.[/FONT]

[b]Shion no Ou[/b] finished off better than I thought it would. The murderer is not who I originally thought it would be, but it is not exactly a surprise, either; however, the endgame is executed so well and in such a dramatic way, that it did not matter much to me. The final battle between Shion and the murderer is just excellent all around. When the show finished, I wondered how long it would be until I found another series that exciting ...

... and then I started watching [b]Kaiji[/b]. Damn it, I knew I should have watched this when it originally aired! I've got three episodes remaining, and the show has been a consistently fantastic brew of great twists, Kaiji being the best gambler ever and a ****load of intensity. Watching this show each week must have been an insane experience, because it stretches the tension as far as it can possibly go without snapping.

What's most amazing is that each arc centers around a simple game -- the first, Rock-Paper-Scissors; the second, walking on a high beam; the third, a game called E-Card; and the fourth, a lottery -- and yet it is not at all ridiculous that they are being taken so seriously. The stakes are so high that the games cannot be viewed as anything but the most serious of business, which is part of the point. Unsurprisingly, as a result of this, [b]Kaiji[/b] casts a rather harsh light on what really drives people, haha. What is most interesting to me about the show is the fine line Kaiji walks between enduring and keeping his humanity, and sinking as low as the people who have forced him into these dangerous gambles. Kaiji does some great things throughout the series, but he also does some crazy *** ****.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[color=navy][size=1][u]Watching[/u]

[b]Soul Eater[/b] - First two FUNi episodes that is. For the most part, I enjoyed what I've seen, but my only concern is Black Star. While I still hate his character (I don't think that'll ever change) I was under the impression of him sounding like a guy, or at the very least, Yahiko-ish (Rurouni Kenshin). I don't know how things are supposed to be prounounced so I can't speak on that. I'll probably continue watch episodes 3 and 4 later on tonight.

[b]One Piece[/b] - One FUNi episode. Like I stated in the thread itself, maybe it'll take a little getting used to but for the most part I don't really care for it. Sounds like they're trying to force things, or just sound incredibly dull given the amount of emotional outburst in this series... Perhaps it was just the episode though. (Mihawk vs Zoro) Hopefully it'll be better when I decide to check out the Arlong arc.

That's about it. Haven't really had the chance to check out anything else since my finals are right around the corner. I'm thinking about checking out FMA: Brotherhood as well as finishing up Gungrave.[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1][B]Lucky Star[/B].

Yes, I know I've sworn multiple times that I would never, ever watch it, and I know Crys is going to rib me unbearably the next time she sees me over this but after a bad break-up with my ex last weekend I needed something overly happy to have a look at and truth be told it does make me smile quite a bit when I watch it. Anime tenchou Meito Anizawa has also become one of my favourite characters for his Kamina-level hot-bloodedness particularly in Lucky Channel 17.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Magus'][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Dagflammit, Gavin. You're suppose to watch things that go boom when going through hard times.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I know my friend, it was a moment of weakness and now my OCD won't let me not finish it. Rest assured I'll find someone decidedly explosively masculine to watch afterwards to make up for it, perhaps even start One Piece early as I've planned to watch it over the Christmas break.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]I know my friend, it was a moment of weakness and now my OCD won't let me not finish it. Rest assured I'll find someone decidedly explosively masculine to watch afterwards to make up for it, perhaps even start One Piece early as I've planned to watch it over the Christmas break.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=navy]If it wasn't for my curiousity of how the characters abilities looked in motion I'd actually recommend reading One Piece over watching the anime since it is fairly ugly (but it's also excuseable given the wackiness of everything), although the anime does have its moments. (I do tend to skip around a lot, too, so... yeah) Either way, do check it out.

I'm in need of something new. Inuyasha and Fairy Tail's not going to cut it. I'll probably just finish up the ones I'm currently watching so I can update/move on.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]If it wasn't for my curiousity of how the characters abilities looked in motion I'd actually recommend reading One Piece over watching the anime since it is fairly ugly (but it's also excuseable given the wackiness of everything), although the anime does have its moments. (I do tend to skip around a lot, too, so... yeah) Either way, do check it out.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Hmm fair enough, I don't mind reading the manga as against watching the anime, and truth be told there's always a sort of let-down when you finally see a big scene animated and it doesn't live up to expectations [spoiler]the Jiraiya-Pain fight comes to mind[/spoiler].

If you haven't watched Berserk Magus I'd highly recommend it, it's rather grim when you get down to it but certainly worth a look.[/SIZE]

Finished [b]Kaiji[/b] quite a while ago -- great series, and the final couple arcs combine into a really intense ending. I'm thirsting for a second season quite badly. Come on, Madhouse: Make it happen!!

Been watching [b]Slayers Try[/b] with Des for a while now. Still a fun series, although I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a bit disappointing after the pure awesome of [b]Slayers Next[/b]. At least Xellos still owns. The ending looks to be pretty good, too. Just three episodes to go!

On the side I just started [b]Mononoke[/b]. I love the Medicine Seller already. The art style is cool, too -- like a Japanese art scroll brought to life.

[SIZE=1]Finishing out [B]Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig[/B] because I realised I haven't done so already. Like [B]Cowboy Bebop[/B] I've seen most of the episodes already, just out of order and decided to actually watch it in order to appreciate it a bit more as a story (and cover the explody masculine anime I was going to watch after Lucky Star). Unusually I'm watching the dub because it happens to be good and I got used to it when I watched it originally.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]About half way through [B]Full Metal Panic![/B] and enjoying it immensely. Mechas, fan-service and plenty of comedy, I think it's on fast track to potentially enter my Top 10.

Is it just my imagination or is some of the music based on the A-team ?
[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]About half way through [B]Full Metal Panic![/B] and enjoying it immensely. Mechas, fan-service and plenty of comedy, I think it's on fast track to potentially enter my Top 10.

Is it just my imagination or is some of the music based on the A-team ?
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Just wait until you get to the second season, Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. It's like icing on the cake since it's nothing but episodes that take their personality quirks and really let you see them. Hmmm, maybe I should watch it again. XD[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]Finishing out [B]Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. 2nd Gig[/B] because I realised I haven't done so already. Like [B]Cowboy Bebop[/B] I've seen most of the episodes already, just out of order and decided to actually watch it in order to appreciate it a bit more as a story (and cover the explody masculine anime I was going to watch after Lucky Star). Unusually I'm watching the dub because it happens to be good and I got used to it when I watched it originally.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=navy]Can't believe I missed this post since I consider GitS:SAC to be the best anime. While I've never seen the sub I do believe it is one of the best dubs out there.

I've been watching a little bit more of [b]Death Note[/b]. Trying to enjoy it for without thinking about the disappointing 2nd half. Light still discuss me to no end though. I finished watching ep 6 recently. So yeah, next ep is one of those eps that really made me hate Light.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Can't believe I missed this post since I consider GitS:SAC to be the best anime. While I've never seen the sub I do believe it is one of the best dubs out there.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]
[SIZE=1]
Agreed. It's really quite annoying to watch series like GitS where there's still a heavy Japanese influence in the script come off so well in dubbing (by which it sounds naturally spoken rather than acted) compared to a lot of truly terrible dubs out there today.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=navy]So I've been marathoning [b]Rurouni Kenshin[/b] today. While it remains to be one of the better shonens these days, it does fail when comparing it to the manga... (Can't believe at one point I actually said that the anime is a little better)

[b]NOTE: I've not seen any episodes after the Shishio arc, and hearing that it's all filler made me come to the conclusion of RK ended after the Shishio arc.[/b]

Anyway, Sanosuke is really an annoying character. I like that he say what he want when he want, but the guy don't ever shut up, and it's shown in fruition during the Shishio arc.

I think I might start reading [i]Hunter X Hunter[/i] and [i]Yu Yu Hakusho[/i] (best shonen series by far) soon since I'm in need of something new to read. Might also go back to reading [i]Samurai Deeper Kyo[/i] as well. Can't help it. I like shonen when it's done well.

Edit:

So I decided to start reading [b]Hunter X Hunter[/b], and this manga is definately the real deal. I don't know why I put this series on hold for as long as I did, because it has what I've been looking for that others lack, and that's a main character that's actually likeable, and uses his brain at the same time. Gon has a personality that has some type of charm to it. He does resemble the "airhead" role a bit, but it's no where near overbearing as opposed to Naruto, Goku or Luffy.

I do see a lot of similarities to Yu Yu Hakusho in some of these characters, but I also see a little bit of elements from other series as well. Killua is by far, my favorite so far. It's hard to even do a comparison of him to anybody from another series, because at one point he's a bad###, and the next moment the guy is just as goofy as Gon. He sort of have a Hiei-like pressence, but like I said the guy does have a goofy side. Kurapika (sp?) and Leorio has a relationship that's more like Kuwabara and Hiei, at least that's what I've noticed so far. Speaking of Leorio, the guy is definately identical to Kuwabara, meaning he's an annoyance. Hisoka is just all around an intriguing character.

What's really been keeping me coming back to reading this series so far has been the fact that everyone uses their heads. Having everything setup as if it were a battle of riddles was just a treat for me. If there's one character I don't like it's Tompa, and I'm glad [spoiler]Kurapika[/spoiler] got to him when he did.

I'm only 38 chapters in, and this series surpasses everything else outside of Yu Yu Haksuho. (Yusuke is too good of a main character to be surpassed) Everyone else needs to take notes on how to do a shounen series. (One Piece is good, but it's considerably lacking when comparing it to this.. Sorry)[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]And just finished [B]Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid[/B]. You were right Aaryanna, [B]Fumoffu [/B]was definitely my favourite of the three seasons, such a pity it only had 12 episodes to it, there should've been at least full series. Still I kinda wish the "will they won't they" between Sousuke and Chidori had been resolved, it almost seemed like it was going to be in the final episode of TSR. :animesigh[/SIZE]