OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][i]Finally[/i] trying to assimilate myself back into [b]Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood[/b] after so long. AS is about halfway through and I missed a handful of episodes, but I think I can manage. [spoiler]Although honestly, I'm [i]really[/i] just watching it for Troy Baker as Greed!Ling. *shot*[/spoiler]

And Syfy is apparently going to start airing [b]Chrono Crusade[/b] starting next month, which I've been meaning to watch for forever, so we'll see how that pans out.[/font][/color]

So I just finished watching[font="Arial"][size="2"] Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru, it's 4 am I haven't slept in 3 day between school/work and Anime and I just want to know, WHAT JUST HAPPENED?! What was the point of the entire anime! I'M SO CONFUSED![/size][/font]

I recently rewatched all of [b]Soukyuu no Fafner[/b] and then saw the movie, which was glorious--truly a dream come true. I never imagined they'd create a proper theatrical sequel to a midlist mecha series... six full years after it first aired, to boot. I mean, in what world does that happen? I have no idea who made the Faustian bargain that was no doubt required to produce [url="http://fafner.jp/h-and-e/"]the film[/url], but I'm grateful for it. It picks up pretty much right where the TV series and OVA left off, elevating minor characters while giving the main cast their due. The animation is spectacular, the music is epic, and the storyline is appropriately confusing but makes just enough sense to hold everything together. Can't wait to get it on Blu-ray.

As for TV series, lately I've been watching [b]Hourou Musuko[/b] (the most singularly perfect anime I've seen in ages) and [b]Madoka Magica[/b] (very creative and laden with the potential to become something mind-blowing). Dropped [b]Gosick[/b] and decided to keep reading the novels instead. Whereas Hourou Musuko takes advantage of its animation, soundtrack, etc. to become--if anything--more emotionally evocative than the manga source material, Gosick uses those elements as a crutch to compensate for the fact that its actual storyline has been greatly simplified. It's still kind of interesting to see how they're adapting it, but I'd rather finish getting through the novels first than risk getting spoiled by the anime.

Hoping to see more of [b]Level E[/b] soon, too.

Gah, I still need to catch up with [b]Hourou Musuko[/b], myself. For some reason, I get the sense that I should wait until the end and watch it all at once. I dunno. It will be watched eventually, though.

[b]Madoka Magica[/b] is pretty interesting so far. Shinbo isn't taking any any prisoners, both with the visuals and the story. I especially like how becoming a magical girl is an actual weighty choice with real consequences outside of "you'll have awesome powers and kick ass every week". [b]Gosick[/b] I just dropped. It's the kind of mystery series that annoys me most: There's really no way for viewers to be engaged in the mysteries, because only Victorique knows what's going on, and the devil is in the details no reasonable viewer is going to spot or know about. It's like [b]Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro[/b] from a few years back, except not even as enjoyable as that because it isn't even a tenth as bizarre.

[b]Level E[/b] might be my favorite show of the season so far. It's absolutely hilarious, and this is coming from someone who has been frustrated with anime comedy lately. At this rate, Baka will go down as one of the great asshole characters in anime comedy. He's a riot.

Took me a while, but I finally finished the [b]Patlabor[/b] TV series. Loved it as much as the other entries in the series. Maybe the absolute height wasn't quite as good as the [b]Patlabor[/b] movies, but it makes up for that with fantastic character development for everyone in the series, where the movies focus mainly on Noa, Asuma and Goto. I particularly liked the episodes that focused on Ota. He's the most adorable gun nut you'll ever see. Now I'm watching the [b]New Files[/b] OVA. It's basically stuff that didn't make it into the TV series for time reasons -- finishes off a major storyline (maybe), and has some bizarre comedy episodes. I mean [i]really[/i] bizarre. I'm just halfway through, so I'm sure there will be more weirdness to come ...

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Hooked on [b]Star Driver[/b] at the minute, reminds me a lot of Gurren Lagann in tone. Bulldozed through sixteen episodes in one go and now it's torture having to wait a week for the next dollop of fabulousness from the Galactic Pretty Boy. Kinda worried that they won't be able to wrap up the plot in the remaining episodes (so many questions left unanswered) but will be on the edge of my seat till the end. [/size][/font] Edited by Gavin

[size=1][color=royalblue]Finally finally got my chance to watch [b]Nerima Daikon Brothers[/b], and boy am I glad to be watching a dub! The show is about two brothers, Hideki and Ichiro, and their cousin Mako, and they are...a band. Like the singing kind. They live on a daikon farm but plan on building on a dome to sing in. It's mostly Hideki that leads this effort. They also have no money, so the whole point of every episode is some sort of scheme to steal the money from some rich people that they encounter.

Oh yeah, and it's a musical.

The plots are absurd but that's what makes it funny. Everything is over-the-top and makes no bloody sense but at the same time it all makes perfect sense. It's also quite raunchy, in some spots more than others. The songs, though repetitive, are [i]really[/i] damn catchy.

It's hard to give it a grade, though. It deserves a watch, though I'm not sure you'd watch it more than once.[/color][/size] Edited by Katana

i must say most of the names i read about here sound like spells out of a wizards book!
as a beginner in the entire anime area im still busy watching ghibli productions, yesterday it was horus. nice but a little too much singing for my taste. seems like lupin 3 is next

Finished off [b]Patlabor[/b] recently. I highly encourage everyone to check it out, whether you're into mecha or not. The characters are quite awesome and endearing, and it does funny and serious equally well. A great trip into anime history for me!

Speaking of trips into anime history, yesterday I watched [b]Otaku no Video[/b], which is at once a celebration of geekery loosely based on the rise of Gainax, and a satire of otaku culture and the mainstream view of it via a mockumentary that "interviews" various representatives of the otaku subculture. It's very silly and fun.

And now I'm finally watching the rest of [b]Golgo 13[/b]. I love Golgo. So far these latest episodes aren't quite as great as the ones in the first half, but Golgo being a nigh-invincible sniper is entertaining no matter what.

[font="Tahoma"][color="#00BFFF"]Well, [/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00BFFF"]I just finished Wolf's Rain...which was AWESOME! I think I found out about it on deviantart, but I don't remember lol. I have never watched an anime other then like Pokemon and Digimon back in the day haha...so this was my first real one! I fell in love with the story and everything about the show, plus I LOVE dogs and watching a show about wolves was sooo great![/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00BFFF"]
[/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00BFFF"]I'm sad though, because it ended so sad lol...and it's now over :( [/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00BFFF"]Any suggestions of what to watch next? Lol...I don't like Bleach, Naruto or Death Note (I know, I know, the best ones right, haha) for personal reasons haha! But what else is good, something like Wolf's Rain? I've heard of a show called Cowboy Bebop....how is it?[/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00BFFF"]Thanks :P

[/color][/font]

[quote name='yunie7' timestamp='1297182786' post='704785']
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00bfff"]Well, [/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00bfff"]I just finished Wolf's Rain...which was AWESOME! I think I found out about it on deviantart, but I don't remember lol. I have never watched an anime other then like Pokemon and Digimon back in the day haha...so this was my first real one! I fell in love with the story and everything about the show, plus I LOVE dogs and watching a show about wolves was sooo great![/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"] [/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00bfff"]I'm sad though, because it ended so sad lol...and it's now over :( [/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"] [/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00bfff"]Any suggestions of what to watch next? Lol...I don't like Bleach, Naruto or Death Note (I know, I know, the best ones right, haha) for personal reasons haha! But what else is good, something like Wolf's Rain? I've heard of a show called Cowboy Bebop....how is it?[/color][/font]
[font="Tahoma"] [/font]
[font="Tahoma"][color="#00bfff"]Thanks :P

[/color][/font]
[/quote]

hello yunie, im something of a newcomer too on the entire anime area.
i definetly recognize being interested now and having only seen thinigs like pokemon years back (:P) but only have seen new things recently

now about cowboy bebop, i have (as i just stated) a limited experience with anime but I think it is really worth watching.
now there s one thing before watching: there's the series and the movie. i recommend the series because it is what the movie is based on, then afterwards (if youre still interested) watch the movie.
and and and! cowboy bebop has a great soundtrack
and and and and! what i just said about the viewing order doesnt really matter but the point i was trying to make is that the series are definetly worth it.

so have fun watching it I would say.

[quote name='Dagger' timestamp='1296484281' post='704562']
As for TV series, lately I've been watching [b]Hourou Musuko[/b] (the most singularly perfect anime I've seen in ages)
[/quote]

[b]I've been watching that one too. I love the ending animation especially. It's one of my all time favorites so far.

(Here it is, in case anyone is curious. There's just something about the song that really fits the show but also stands on its own.)[/b]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfTvOEortY0[/media] Edited by Lilt

I was watching [b]Basilisk[/b] vol 2 last night. Good stuff, but [spoiler]Okoi's death[/spoiler] was rather sad, but then again, Basilisk is a sad series to begin with. This is my 2nd time watching this series and yet again I'm siding with the Kouga. It's almost like the Iga is just packed with villains. Don't get me wrong, I like villainous characters, it's more like the Iga is unlikable.

Comcast put [b]Gungrave[/b] on demand, but I don't know who I want to strangle more, them or Funimation for putting a pricetag on it. That's just [spoiler]RUDE[/spoiler].

And then of course I'm still watching [b]Trigun[/b] on demand as well. Waiting for Legato's first appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][b]Chrono Crusade[/b] started airing on Syfy this past Tuesday, which I am going to be watching, as I've wanted to see it for years. Too early to really judge, but I've reached a bit of a problem with Rosette -- character-wise, I already love her to death...but her English voice is the first one in a long time that I really just do not like -- and I am the furthest thing from a sub snob. I'm sure it'll get better as the series wears on, since it was just the first two episodes, but...augh. The fact that she was prone to screaming a lot did NOT help.

And out of left-field comes [b]Sasameki Koto[/b]. I've been running into this series a lot on TV Tropes lately, and while I am no yuri fan by any means, I'm enjoying this a lot. I'm three episodes in, and I really like the feeling and atmosphere - not too heavy, but not too light, either. The characters are all also really endearing so far as well, which is what has me hooked. Oh, and the music is [i]really[/i] nice, too. Really pretty and relaxing.[/font][/color]

im going through episodes of bobobo like im an addict! i love that totally absurd humor, hope that doesnt say too much about me... meh i dont care.

and reading trigun#1 cant say anything about it because i just bought it. but i think cowboy style action in a sci-fi setting is pretty much what i like so its hard to go wrong on that.
so im a happy person right now.

[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1298621439' post='705243']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][b]Chrono Crusade[/b] started airing on Syfy this past Tuesday, which I am going to be watching, as I've wanted to see it for years. Too early to really judge, but I've reached a bit of a problem with Rosette -- character-wise, I already love her to death...but her English voice is the first one in a long time that I really just do not like -- and I am the furthest thing from a sub snob. I'm sure it'll get better as the series wears on, since it was just the first two episodes, but...augh. The fact that she was prone to screaming a lot did NOT help.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
I had the exact same problem when I first started watching this. I [i]think[/i] I did end up seeing the whole thing dubbed, but I can't quite remember. I'll admit that I'm the kind of person who totally lets an irritating voice (in either Japanese or English) ruin my impression of a character, so I actually really disliked Rosette for at least the first half of the series. I ended up enjoying the second half and the ending a lot more than the beginning, though, for whatever it's worth--and my unfair dislike of her went away eventually. The spastic comedy just did not do anything for me, especially in the opening episodes.

I have a few movies and OVAs I need to watch, but right now I'm sloooowly working my way through [b]Tamayura[/b].

• 1 month later...
I'm currently pondering over [i]Texhnolyze,[/i] which is one muted anime (at least so far it is). The whole vibe is similar to [i]Ergo Proxy[/i], with the dark and gritty animation. I'm only up to ep.4 (and will be watching ep.5 tonight), so it's still too early for me to get a good handle on what's happening. Nevertheless, I'm a sucker for cyberpunk, especially when it's tuned well into the same brainwave that [i]Blade Runner[/i] (dir. cut!) thought along. I'll reserve further judgement for now.

And why in the world did I sit through all of[i] Shadow Star Narutaru[/i]? Being a completest isn't always a virtue, especially when the anime in question gradually reveals it has no overarching storyline; just steadily increasing into vileness, while clothed in seemingly kid-friendly animation. It definitely bothered me, that one.

I loved Texhnolyze, but I don't know if I could bring myself to watch it again (even though I probably should--I think a lot about it would sink in much better on a second viewing, at least for me). It might be the most relentlessly--and effectively--bleak anime I've ever seen...

The most recent thing I watched was the first episode of C. The CG usage reminded me of Gankutsuou, and the character who came to tempt the protagonist (I forgot both of their names already, haha) obviously stole the show. Really high expectations for this one.

[b]Trigun[/b]
It's been forever since I've watched this. The last episode I watched was "Diablo", my personal favorite simply because of Legato's 1st appearance. I don't know why but I always thought that it was the 7th episode when Legato first came into everything. In any case, to me, Johnny Young Bosch voice is at it's best in this series. I was looking for a similar range for his Ichigo but was pretty disappointed.

[b]Basilisk[/b]
Originally I was having volumes shipped from Blockbuster but now that it's on demand I don't really have any more need for it. The first 5 episodes are on demand and I plan on recording them... I'm still stuck in my VHS ways.

[b]Le Chevalier[/b]
I haven't started watching this yet, but like Basilisk and Trigun, it's on demand. I'm fairly curious about this series considering I see that it's done by the same folks that did Ghost in the Shell: SAC and Moribito. I hear the animation is top notch and the characters are good, and considering I've been looking for something new to watch, this would be something to check out.

Dagger, I'm up to ep.19 of [i]Texhnolyze[/i] . . . and I'm[i] still [/i]scratching my head. This episode was like a what-if: Salvador Dali and Norman Rockwell meet for drinks and decided to co-direct an episode on anime. This is one strange anime, indeed.

Let's see, I've also gave [i]Hidan no Aria (Aria the Scarlet Ammo[/i]) a try, and while it's not exactly groundbreaking action-anime, but it might be interesting enough to keep up with. What I'll probably add to the list is [i]Natsu no Arashi[/i]. Again, I watched the first episode of this last night. How amusingly ridiculous was that first episode!? It spent most of the time fussing over a strawberry shortcake of all things - in a very creative and amusing way, however. If they can keep that sort of thing up (and add some depth) I'll be satisfied.

Due to the recent PSN outage i've been watching alot of anime. Welcome to the NHK is pretty great, but i'm depressed now cuz it made me realize just how worthless I actually am. besides that i've been watching Nabari No Ou im not done with it yet but it's got a great story and rich characters. Lucky Star, Elfen lied, Devil May Cry, Bakuman, Claymore, and Death Frenzy are others i have recently finished within the week. I've got alot of free time, i'm a manga artist (in the making) and my friend hasn't finished the storyboard yet so i've been kinda bored. I decided to skip school today just to finish up Welcome to the NHK and try to finish Nabari. IDK what i'm gonna watch after that. I wish PSN would come back up. *sigh* Oh well guess i'll just continue to be bored until Zac finishes that dam storyboard. He's probably just putting it off until the last minute and doing something stupid watching hentai... lol guess i can't say i havent done that either, but my editor is gonna get pissed if he doesn't hurry. Edited by Huzaku

Sorry about my rant i got off topic. For those looking for a great anime to watch. SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!! Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. Gungrave. Welcome to the NHK. Elfen lied. Trinity Blood. Nabari No Ou. Bakuman. Beezlebub. Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? Tenchi In Tokyo. Moribito. Inukami! Claymore. All of these are great anime that i absolutely love. WATCH THEM ALL!! Edited by Huzaku

• 2 weeks later...
Man, it's been a while. Guess I'll offer some brief thoughts on stuff I've watched since February ...

[b]Astro Fighter Sunred[/b]: Hilarious. Sentai parodies are done to death, but [b]Sunred[/b] brings a fun twist to the game by being purposely mundane, which brings an amusing air of absurdity to everything.

[b]Cobra: The Animation[/b] + OVAs: The TV series is pretty kickin' in that goofy [b]Golgo 13[/b] kind of way. If you don't mind a thick layer of cheese, then it's definitely a fun watch. The OVAs not so much. [b]Cobra[/b] stories definitely seem to work better in shorter bursts.

[b]Crest of the Stars[/b]: Awesome. The banter between Lafiel and Jinto is tons of fun and extremely well written, and helps keep interest high in a show that is deliberately paced.

[b]Fireball[/b]: Fun series of shorts involving two quick-witted robots. Easy to find on YouTube and takes 20 minutes to blow through the first season. Really liking the second, currently-airing season, [b]Fireball Charming[/b], too.

[b]Generator Gawl[/b]: Wasn't a huge fan. Too much WACKY SCHOOL HIJINX for my liking, and the ending blows.

[b]GitS: SAC 2nd Gig[/b]: The first season had higher highs, I think, but as an overall package, [b]2nd Gig[/b] is superior. I especially love how the Major is developed in this season.

[b]Moyashimon[/b]: Good comedy. Gets funnier as it goes along, and I definitely want more after the ending.

Of the shows I've kept up with week by week, the ones I'd actively recommend are [b]Level E[/b] and [b]Madoka Magica[/b]. Maybe [b]Rio: Rainbow Gate![/b], too, if you love hilariously awful crap.

I've also watched a bunch of god awful OVAs as part of a terribad anime watching group. They've ranged from the hilarious ([b]Garzey's Wing[/b], [b]The Prince of Tennis: The Two Samurai - The First Game[/b], [b]Legend of Duo[/b]) to the tortuous ([b]Itsudatte My Santa![/b], [b]Apocalypse Zero[/b], [b]ICE[/b]).