OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[color=#4B0082]I'm watching [b]Canvas 2[/b] right now and enjoying it a lot. It's one of those animes that seems longer than it is because so much happens in each episode, yet doesn't feel rushed. It's a 24 episode series but it feels like it has the pacing of a 12 episode series, which I really like. But it's also not very episodic so, while I feel like I've been sitting there longer than I have, I want to see what happens next and don't get tired of it when I watch two or three episodes in a row.

As a slice of life anime it rides heavily on its characters, which aren't bad. They all have their little quirks and I find them interesting enough. Hagino, the little writer girl, especially amuses me with her completely unabashed prying into others' personal lives to get material for her books. And I think I'm becoming an Aya Hirano fanboy; I love the voices she's given to all the characters of hers that I've seen so far.

I'm also in love with the ED song, NA NA IRO. Its rhythm gets into my head and mesmerizes me so that after each episode it's a battle to choose between watching the next episode or stopping and listening to the full long.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Seen 8 eps of [B]Scrapped Princess[/B] so far.

Picked up [B]Marimite[/B] on the side. As a yuri fan, I've been told this is a must, and after 2 eps, I'm a little unsure of my opinion of it. Definitely will have to watch a few more eps before I can say much about it.

Also watched the ****-yes second DVD of [B]Gankutsuou[/B] with my brother (currently dying from suspense) which was completely badass as expected. Not enough Peppo, though the count makes up for it with his sheer awesomeness. This show is characters for t3h real.[/COLOR]

Guest Rachynn
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I have nothing to add to the current discussion, so I will impose what I am currently reading and watching. :)

Watching:
Currently, only [B]Bleach[/B]. I'm only on episode 120, but the action in the past two or three episodes really got me hyped up. However, I know there a bunch of fillers coming up...
I plan on watching at least the first episode of [B]Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei[/B] later tonight though, provided I can find it. I've heard that it's really good from various people. It sounds really funny.

Reading:
I'm stuck in a shoujo manga phase.
I'm really liking Arina Tanemura's works so I've been reading [B]Shinshi Doumei Cross[/B] almost obsessively. I find her art so beautiful, and the current plot isn't that bad. The characters kind of frusterate me sometimes, but in a good way.
I also picked up a few volumes of [B]Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne[/B] from the library. It reminds me a lot of Sailor Moon.
Finally, [B]Vampire Knight[/B] by Matsuri Hino. It's so addictive. I went an read ahead of what they're currently publishing in Shoujo Beat and it just keeps getitng better and better.[/COLOR]

[B]Shaman Warrior volume 3[/B]
The story is moving slowly but the artwork and characters are still good enough to keep me reading. Also the action is probably the best I've seen in a manga to date. Then there is the fact that it's Korean which gives it cool points. I can't wait till volume 4 comes out.

[COLOR="Indigo"]Right now I'm watching [B]Lovely Complex[/B], it's a shoujo romantic comedy kind of series. Not too profound and it takes little to no risks, and yet it pulls together quite nicely. Mainly due to the lead character Risa. A tall girl who falls for a short guy. The whole thing really stands on her character and she does it well.

As for reading... I'm not reading anything right now. Well, that's anime related that is. With school running again, I'm back to putting in more time reading textbooks than other things just for fun.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Currently I'm switching between rewatching the [I]Chunin Exam[/I] arc of [B]Naruto[/B], because it's the start of where the title character starts to develop his own distinct strength, and the [I]Android Saga[/I] of [b]Dragonball Z[/b], as I've not watched it in ages, and I like to rewatch DBZ every once in a while.

Aside from the latest chapter of the Naruto manga, I’m in the same boat as Crystia, in that my eyes are firmly glued to my textbooks.[/SIZE]

I've been watching [B]Lovely Complex[/B] as well since it's one of the better romantic comedies that I've seen in a while. The lead character, Risa, makes the funniest and zaniest faces through out the show. I never get tired of watching her. I'm also watching [B]Lucky Star[/B] and though I rarely catch the references unless I'm lucky and the fan sub makes note of it, it is hilarious to watch the antics between Konata and the other girls.

As for reading... Like Crystia and Gavin... School has made putting that kind of stuff on hold a necessity. If only because there are other things I would rather do with my spare time. But still, between my own studies and the teaching I do... anime related reading will be on hold for a while.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]I've been watching [B]Bleach[/B]. Just finished #137 a few hours ago.

I've also recently got into [B]Ouran High School Host Club[/B] and[B] Kare Kano[/B].
I'm almost finished with both of them. Can't wait for the endings, (:
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='xPromise'][SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]I've been watching [B]Bleach[/B]. Just finished #137 a few hours ago.

I've also recently got into [B]Ouran High School Host Club[/B] and[B] Kare Kano[/B].
I'm almost finished with both of them. Can't wait for the endings, (:
[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Ohh Kare Kano is good...but the ending wasn't so much. I suggest you put your expectations on low. I personally thought Evangalion had a better ending...and I hate Evangaliosn Ending.

[font="trebuchet ms"] Oh, Gainax. lol

I've just started to watch [b]Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann[/b], and it's definitely right up my alley. Typical Gainax style/quality animation/general craziness. Also, Kamina is the greatest character ever. The only problem I have with it so far is Yoko's character design. There's a line between sexy and tacky, and Yoko's clothes teeters (yes, even for anime). [/font]

[COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Lunox'][font="trebuchet ms"]There's a line between sexy and tacky, and Yoko's clothes teeters (yes, even for anime). [/font][/QUOTE]
Yes they do. :luv:

I've not done a lot lately, I started a bit into Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and I do indeed tip my hat to whoever had the though of creating that series. For he is truly a twisted man. That and Zero no Tsukaima: Futatsuki no Kishi have been the only thing to catch my eye as of late. Witchblade is starting to pick up along the rear but since I have a full set of that, I'm not making a lot of progress in the series.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"][b]Inuyasha[/b] "cringes". While it's not exactly my favorite, and certainly wouldn't be a show I'd break my neck to see, however, it is fairly decent though. (mediocre really, but "shrugs") It's something to watch to pass time when there's nothing else on tv.

With that being said, I'm thinking about buying [b]Basilisk[/b] ($8 per dvd :)). Seeing how I missed it when it was on IFC. Do anyone know if they'll air it again? I see Samurai 7 is being aired again, and so I'm hoping that they'll air Basilisk. I'm also thinking about buying [b]Yu Yu Hakusho[/b] ($4 per dvd). The Three Kings saga is being sold for a cheap price, and I think I may get it.

Same ol, same ol as far as reading mangas. [/COLOR]

Watching: I'm (re)watching the second arc of [b]Mononoke[/b]. I can't believe this show--it pushes anime (hell, animation or even film in general) to a whole different level. It's definitely the best thing airing at the moment.

I haven't touched much anime at all lately, so I'm stuck in catch-up mode, but Mononoke remains a priority.

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]argh... if I didn't hate the character dsigns [i]so very much[/i] I'd give that show a try.

Currenlty watching [B]Maria-sama ga Miteru Haru[/B] (up to ep. 4). Thus far the season has been much better than the first. The first years are *love*. And Rosa Giganteae.

Also, I have now seen up through episode 16 of oh-my-****ing-god-best-show-evar [B]Gankutsuou[/B] and will be able to pick up the remaining two DVDs on Friday. I cannot even express just how damn great this show is. It's epic, brilliant, suspenseful, has perfect characters, the coolest animation style ever, and [B]The ****ing Count[/B]. ho is, BTW, the king of the cosmos. Also, Here and Peppo and the awesomely [spoiler]gay[/spoiler] Franz. Honestly, what's not to love?[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]argh... if I didn't hate the character dsigns [i]so very much[/i] I'd give that show a try.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Your loss. :animesmil

By the way, you're almost up to the episode of Gankutsuou that basically left me in the fetal position. Good times. (Er, and what's up with your name for Haydée/Haidee?)

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Your loss. :animesmil

By the way, you're almost up to the episode of Gankutsuou that basically left me in the fetal position. Good times. (Er, and what's up with your name for Haydée/Haidee?)

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]>_> They pronounce it like 'Here' in the dub at least. BTW, excellent dub.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]School started for me on the 20th of last month so my anime watching has gone way down. I'm still catching an episode or two of [B]Lovely Complex[/B] a romantic comedy and [B]Lucky Star [/B]a slice of life about a bunch of girls attending school. I'd love to watch more but now it's just a from time to time deal, but not much else. I'm still getting use to studying again. Plus, I have a whole list of books to read that other members recommended in the thread I posted. :catgirl: Once I have more time or rather I'm interested in watching lots of anime, I'll probably watch [B]Detective Conan[/B] since my Mom's going to be ordering the newest releases this week. So that's something to look forward too. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger']Gunbuster 2. :p
[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Whoops, I meant to write 'Diebuster'. So yeah, I'm the loser that saw Diebuster but hasn't seen Gunbuster. lol[/font]

[quote name='Dagger']Watching: I'm (re)watching the second arc of [b]Mononoke[/b]. I can't believe this show--it pushes anime (hell, animation or even film in general) to a whole different level. It's definitely the best thing airing at the moment.
[/QUOTE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] *0* Totally agree with you. I have no idea where it came from, but it drew me from the first second. I've only seen the first two episodes, but I already love it. The medicine seller's design kicks ***, really.[/font]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]>_> They pronounce it like 'Here' in the dub at least. BTW, excellent dub.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Huh. Weird.

Yeah, I've heard the dub is great, but you should also listen to the JP track if you ever get the urge to watch the show again. Jouji Nakata was born to be the Count.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Huh. Weird.

Yeah, I've heard the dub is great, but you should also listen to the JP track if you ever get the urge to watch the show again. Jouji Nakata was born to be the Count.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I watched the first 2 eps in Japanese before watching the dub, and I agree, that guy is the best Count ever, but I can safely say that if he wasn't the perfect count, the english voice actor would be. he's really that good. It's one of the best dubs I've ever heard. Franz's voice is so utterly perfect, lol. The only one who's kind of annoying is Albert since he's so whiney...

EDIT: Saw ep 1 of[B] Someday's Dreamers.[/B] Could only find the dub, which is hilarious because the main character suddenly has a southern accent halfway through the episode and seems to trade between them thorughout >_> The show seems interesting enough. As a fan of slice-of-life and obviousl gay men, I think I can keep watching, but only if I can find it subbed since the dub is pretty bad.[/COLOR]

I've seen it said several times that the obviously gay man in Someday's Dreamers [spoiler]turns out to be 100% straight.[/spoiler] Which, pathetically enough, is the main reason I've never gotten around to watching it--I don't like misdirection, I guess? :animeswea

The Nopperabou arc of [B]Mononoke[/B] blew my mind.

First, it was an orgy of acting prowess (Takahiro Sakurai + HIKARU MIDORIKAWA + Houko Kuwashima at her emotionally ravaged finest = spontaneous combustion on my part.)

Secondly, it was sooooooo unexpectedly romantic & bittersweet in the subtlest possible fashion. That kind of thing gets under my skin and drives me crazy (in a good way!).

Third, it made me think harder than Boogiepop, the Utena movie and the second season of Big O. Combined.

The significance of the repeated scenes, the huge number of possibilities that could explain what happened, not to mention the question of what the hell actually happened...

Mononoke writers, I hate you, but only because I can't watch more episodes [i]right now[/i].

~Dagger~

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]:animesigh I get the feeling your constant rambling about it will have me on it eventually.

Maybe sometime after I'm done being addicted to [B]Mai-HiME[/B]. This show is so awesomely cheesy and otaku yet with the ability to pull of drama and comedy well. If you ever watched the Kujibiki Unbalance OVA and wished it was a full series, just go watch Mai-HiME XD (it's not really nearly as bad as Kujian, though.) The battles, when they happen, are cool as hell, there's fun characterrs (and an enormous cast) and the plot moves quickly at pretty much all times (helps that it has such a huge cast). It's positively addicting. (I'm on ep. 11)[/COLOR]

Just finished the first disc of [url=http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc_reviews/6294.php][u]009-1[/u][/url]. I was really surprised by how much I liked it. The fight animation & chase scenes are awesome (and not just in the first episode). It's at once retro spy-fi and noir, ridiculous and unexpectedly nuanced, sexy and classy.

~Dagger~