OtakuBoards

Shinigami Dance

2010DigitalBoy

Lucia was attempting to focus on running the scan to determine just where the source that was feeding the unnatural spawning rate was coming from, but so far her equipment was coming up against a blank wall, though there was some sort of anomalous reading coming from within the outer walls themselves. What in the world is that? She thought even as she paused briefly to send yet another wave of purification flames out to turn the creatures that were slipping past Ruby in an effort to get her into ash.

"Lucia! Have you found it yet?" Alex called out as he finally made it to her side and started taking out the wraiths that were still managing to get past Ruby and Nall.

"Not yet." Lucia replied curtly as she suddenly executed a back flip to avoid a wraith that attempted to catch her by surprise by coming up through the floor where she had been standing. Before she could do anything Alex was on it.

"Are you sure it will even work?" Alex asked as he sidestepped several creatures lunging straight for him and then turned in mid-step to slash the creatures in half. "After all it couldn't detect that you were caught in an illusion."

"Idiot!" Lucia snapped, causing Alex to turn towards her with a startled glance on his face. He barely had time to register her look of irritation before he was forced to turn his attention back to the wraiths coming after them.

"There was nothing wrong with the crystal communicator, the illusion only affected my mind. It told me that it was not getting any readings when in fact it was."

"So it was working but you couldn't see the readout?" Alex was a little confused.

Lucia just sighed a tiny bit. "No,? She explained in a patronizing tone of voice. "I could see it but the illusion was telling me what I was seeing instead of what was really there." Alex started to say something but Lucia cut him off.

"Stop trying to figure it out Alex, we don't have time for me to explain it to you in terms you'll actually understand."

"What's the matter with you Lucia? There's no need to be rude." Alex growled, becoming irritated as well. "Just figure out how to get us out of here okay?"

"I'm trying to do that, so stop interrupting me!" Lucia shot back as she focused in on a new reading, one generated by whatever Nathan and Nevril were up to. She didn't even realize that she was gripping her communicator tightly until Ruby spoke up.

"Not now Lucia, we don't have time for that."

But Lucia was not listening, her thoughts going back to before she became a Shinigami, to when she wanted nothing to do with even them. At that time, her only interest had been in developing the technology she was using that did not pollute the surrounding environment. But those in charge were not interested in going beyond their current responsibility of maintaining the balance of life. They refused to see just what was in store?

"Congratulations Lucia, you've been selected to become a Shinigami."

Lucia just ignored the voice of one who was in charge of just how things were run, focusing on her work, refusing to even turn and look at him. The sound of footsteps could be heard and then an arm grasped hers pulled her around to face him.

"I said congratulations." He said sternly.

"No, I refuse." Lucia said flatly as she pulled free.

"Lucia!" A shrill voice brought her back to where she was. "I told you we don't have time for this!" Ruby screeched.

Don't have time? She thought with irritation, if my work had not been interrupted it would have progressed enough to even detect the illusion being worked on my mind! But even as she thought that, the other side of her refuted it, but if you were still doing your work, you would not have been here to be caught in the illusion. A horrible screech in front of her snapped her out of her thoughts...

With a start Lucia hastily back stepped to avoid the strike of two wraiths that had nearly gotten to her, in mere moments she turned them to ash and then glanced down at her crystal communicator, her eyes going wide when she realized what she was reading.

"Nall! Ruby!" She shouted, "Turn the walls into a barrier!" She pointed to the two locations where the unusual readings were coming from.

"What?" Ruby and Nall said in unison.

"Just do it! Don't let the creatures in the walls escape!"

Both of them gave her an odd look and then did as they were told, their flames striking the walls in the locations Lucia had indicated, causing the walls to glow with an eerie light of their own. That had better hold, Lucia thought as she tracked Nathan?s progress. He was using Nevril to trigger some sort of key or means to get them out of the room. It was clear that he seemed to know where he was going and there was nothing she could do to help him at the moment.

Lucia turned her attention back to the creatures coming her way now that both Ruby and Nall were unable to keep them away from her. Calmly she tucked her communicator away and then with but a thought, scythe in hand she threw herself into the fray, until Nathan found all the keys, there was nothing she could do anyway.

Edited by Allamorph

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something was not right and Adrian did not need to see the antics of Nathan, nor the change in Lucia's stance to one of irritation to know it. He could simply feel it as he effortlessly dispatched the undead dragon each time it returned and spun with deadly force as he took out any and all wraiths or other creatures that came in range. It was clear within a short time that the creatures were spawning at an incredible rate. Far more than what should have been possible, at least without something else added to the mix.

It was nagging at his memory as to just what it was as Adrian was certain that he had encountered it before. A quick push off from the floor as he literally flew sideways, his blades out to the front as he tore though a set of creatures closing in on him. A step as he landed on his right foot and then a glance in Nathan's direction when he heard Astera giving him an earful. And then since she was not in any danger, something that he would have known if she was, he pushed off and this time flew forward between Nall and Ruby who were doing their best to keep up with the creatures as they appeared.

A tiny chime sounded, causing him to look around for the source as he brought his scythes down yet again to pin the undead dragon that had reappeared. As flames ran down his blades and turned it to ash, he pulled free with a laugh and then snickered even more as he overheard Lucia give Alex a bit of an earful. How long had it been since he had heard her get frustrated? Adrian pushed it out of his mind as Lucia gave the order to both Nall and Ruby to create a barrier to keep something from escaping.

Barrier? Of course! That has to be it! Adrian smiled as he slashed horizontally, taking out the wave of wraiths heading his way now that Ruby and Nall were occupied. But for some reason Lucia was doing nothing and simply helping with the fighting. What in the world is she doing? Does she not realize what she's trapped behind the walls?

He was about to ask her when yet another chime sounded from the contraption she carried around and used all the time. Lucia raised her hands in front of her and thin blades of fire shot out in front of her, traveling at incredible speeds, ripping though all of the creatures who were close to her. That idiot. Adrian thought as he zeroed in on her position.

"What are you doing you fool?" Adrian said coldly. But Lucia ignored him in favor of quickly checking her equipment before tucking it back into her tunic.

"I'm checking the results of the scan I started to identify what's inside the walls." She replied, all trace of irritation seeming to have vanished.

"No need, I know what it is." Adrian explained, he looked to the one where Nathan had cracked the wall. "Have Nall help Ruby keep the other one in place while I deal with the first one."

Lucia just nodded, "You heard him Nall!" She called out.

Nall just snorted and moved to help Ruby by virtue of dealing with the creatures who were coming for her. Whatever was in the wall was trying to move and it was requiring constant input on her part to keep in there.

"It's about time slowpoke." Ruby teased Nall.

Nall just ignored her, focusing instead on not only maintaining the barrier but on keeping the creatures away from Ruby.

Satisfied that the two had things well in hand Adrian turned and focused his energy, creating a solid wall in front of him as he focused on the spot where the stone was cracked. Then a few seconds later he launched himself towards the spot, both blades in front of him, just behind the wall he had created that was approximately two feet in diameter.

Adrian ignored the attempts by the wraiths to stop him, tuned out the sound of the fabric of his shirt ripping where a few managed to actually touch him. The shudder of those who were in the way and were simply sent flying when the wall hit them was of no consequence. Adrian simply poured more of his energy into to the wall to keep him from losing momentum.

Then with a horrible boom the wall created with his energy hit the spot where the stone had been cracked by Nathan. For the slightest of seconds Adrian felt resistance and then with an audible crack the outer layer of stone crumbled as the force of his blow dug into the wall a good four feet before finally coming to a halt.

As the stones began to fall to the floor, a horrible screech could be heard as a dark shadowy creature, easily as big as Nall or Ruby began to form from the shadows that flew from the rocks that were falling to the floor. Similar to a wraith and yet the deep glowing gold colored eyes and the near transparent body was clearly that of a summoner.

Adrian didn't give it the chance to run and hide again. The moment it was formed enough to touch, he was on it, driving it back with powerful blows from his Scythes until finally he had it pinned against the part of the wall that was still a barrier as a result of what Nall had done. Adrian dropped his scythes as he grabbed the creature by the neck with his left hand and then rammed his right hand down it's throat before he opened up his palm and sent the flames running through the creature from the inside out. Seconds later it was nothing more than ashes.

With a feral grin Adrian turned, summoning his scythes even as he did so and then he launched himself towards the other spot where Ruby and Nall were. Once he dealt with the second one he would have Lucia check to make sure there weren't anymore around.

Edited by Allamorph

Nathan was just dropping down to confer with Lucia when Adrian shattered the wall over the Summoner's niche.

–Good, he thought, passing the vampiress to his right arm. –That takes care of that question. He inverted as he fell, and as Lucia turned to deal with creatures behind her, Nathan grasped the scythe she whirled over her head, letting her spin him while he strafed blue fire from his left fingers. Releasing it, he flipped again, landing lightly beside her.

"Well, aren't we the popular one this evening," he jibed. Naturally, Lucia said nothing.  Nevril, clinging tightly to Nathan's arm, continued to whimper.

Nathan flipped over Lucia again as she swept her scythe right in a vicious arc, his fiery darts slicing through another wave of Wraiths. Already it appeared that the mass of creatures was starting to recede to more manageable levels.

"Nice work with the hidden ones," he called, ducking under her follow-through. "You bought us all a bit more time, I think!" He began to flow with her, complimenting her every move while allowing her to fight unrestricted, keeping her back clear of enemies.

"Will it be enough for you?" she called back, raising her voice above the beasts' clamor.

"I think so!"

"How close are you?"

"I don't know," he said, as he watched Adrian careen across the arena above him.

Lucia sent a blade of flame tearing through a pair of incoming Shades. ?I thought you knew what you were doing!? she shouted.

"Not exactly!" he answered. "I'm just working with what I've got!" He disintegrated more Wraiths and a couple of wolves as they continued their deadly dance. "I knew this room was another defense mechanism from the way it activated, so I guessed there might be a failsafe in the case of exceptional events. Logically–" He jumped as she rolled to one side, spinning sideways in the air above her and landing flawlessly at her side again. "–the failsafe would have to be activated by another vampire, so I needed the little one to even test the theory. Right now I'm just searching for more keys!"

"How many are there?"

"Dunno that, either!" A Shade slipped past their offensive and latched onto Lucia?s scythe; Nathan whipped his arm around, firing five shots into its face before it even got the chance to grapple with her. "Usually things like this run multiple keys, so I started by assuming three, four, five, or seven."

Lucia nodded her thanks and renewed her efforts. "Why those numbers?"

"Four is a perfect number, so it appeals to the mind. Three and seven have Judeo-Christian ties to perfection, and I know vampires have a fascination with the sacrilegious, or at least with using religious symbols for their own purposes. Five is halfway between the two—but you can also look at your hand and see that reason.

"I've hit six already, so that just leaves the seventh."

"And if that's not enough?" Lucia retorted.

"Then I move to fifteen or twenty-seven. I doubt I'll have to, though."

"Why not?"

Nathan gave an amused snort. "It's just too dang many," he told her. "I mean, I can understand fifteen, just to be difficult, but twenty-seven is pushing it."

"So there's only one left? What are you waiting for?!"

"What else? The right moment."

He abruptly spun and grabbed her arm.

"I don't know how long we'll have once the release activates," he murmured into her ear, "so I want to make this window short. When you see me move, grab the other two and run."

With that, he shot into the air, Nevril uttering a short shriek of dismay. At the apex of his ascent, he spun in a slow circle, extending the arm holding the little vampire behind him. A wide grin spread over his face as he came about.

"Yo, Adrian!!" He snapped his arm forward, gathering up the recently-arrived Astera with the motion, and hurled Nevril and the unfortunate familiar at the ground.

The shinigami in question had just landed on the arena floor, having pinned the second Summoner solidly to the stones before destroying it, and his head whipped around at the sound of his name. All he had time for, as his mind registered the two girls hurtling at him, was a confused "What?"

Nevril and Astera crashed wildly into Adrian's chest, and the three tumbled over reach other for several dozen feet; Nevril landed beside the shinigami, her hands splayed conveniently against the floor where the seventh key lay hidden.

Adrian spotted Nathan rocketing towards him. A string of infuriated words began to form on his lips.

"Nathan, what the hell–"

"Banana," said Nathan, hovering briefly over the prone shinigami. Adrian's thoughts scattered.

Nathan seized the opportunity to seize one of Adrian?s scythes and sped to the wall, where a stone door had slid into the wall, marking their way out. A blue bullet from his left hand knocked a chink out of the doorframe, and he jammed the weapon?s butt into it, forcing the door to remain open.

"Move!!" he shouted to the others, spraying more blue fire into the creatures. "Go, go, go!"

His companions turned as one, bearing swiftly down on the freshly-opened exit; Adrian left Nevril sprawled where she lay, despite the consternated cries of his pixie, and it was Aeru who took charge of the girl once more.

Nathan grabbed Adrian roughly as he flew past, jerking him to one side. Adrian was momentarily stunned by Nathan?s suddenly fierce countenance; it was almost as if the man had changed personalities inside of two seconds.

"He dies tonight," Nathan hissed through his teeth, ignoring the others as they ducked under the scythe out of the room. "Make certain. I don't care who does it. I don't care how; use your scythe, use the fire, or rip his goddamned head from his body, just kill the bastard!"

Adrian?s response was heated. "Why don't you make certain yourself, mister 'I'm So'...?" His voice trailed off as Nathan?s intentions dawned on him.

Before he could get a word out, the blue shinigami whirled and thrust him through the opening. His back knocked his scythe out from the door, and it began to rapidly close.

"Nathan!" he roared, regaining his feet.

Nathan flashed his unreadable grin again. "Kill him." The door slammed shut. Adrian struck furiously at the stone with his scythes.

"Goddammit! Nathan, you arrogant BASTARD!!"

------------------------------------

Nathan turned to face the remaining horde, smiling sardonically. He wasn?t about to risk the group being attacked from behind; nothing would interrupt the final confrontation if he had any say in the matter. There had been too many delays already.

"My, it has been a while, hasn't it?" he inquired of no one. He cracked his neck to both sides. "I'd almost forgotten how good this feels." He stretched his arms out to either side, and as the creatures descended on him he swept them slowly towards each other. Blue fire poured from his fingers in sheets, and after three crosses he leapt into the air, shredding the few surviving Wraiths and crashing down on the last reincarnated dragon. His right fist shattered the bone of its skull, and fire sprang hungrily from his palm, devouring the beast from the inside out yet again.

He stood up slowly, scanning over the now empty room.

"Coward!" he cried. "Come out and face me!"

As if in answer, another section of the wall exploded into a cloud of dust.

Edited by Allamorph

• 3 weeks later...

"Goddammit! Nathan, you arrogant BASTARD!!"

"Adrian! Not now!" Alex hissed at him, causing Adrian to turn at the hint of panic in his voice. Or perhaps it was the serious tone or hint of fear, something that Adrian was not use to hearing from Alex.

"What's the matter with..." Adrian stopped as his eyes traveled over the room, taking in where they were.

"Excellent advice." The Count's voice echoed across the chamber as he slowly stood up, his black cape falling to the floor to pool around his feet. Exorbitantly dressed in the finest silks and satin materials, fitting in with the overly lavish decorations of the room itself. A room that was easily twice as large as the chamber they had just been in. It was clear that the Count liked living in total comfort with all the plush furniture strewn about the room.

If there was another way out, Alex did not see it. Though like the other room, he imagined there was some sort of key that only the Count could use. He readied himself just as Nall did, his claws digging into his shoulder where he was perched. Lucia and Ruby moved to the left while Adrian moved to the right. Aeru, without a word stood between the Count and the little vampire girl, a look of fury on her childlike face.

"So inhospitable," The Count sighed mockingly as he watched the three Shinigami move cautiously towards him.

"Your hospitality is severely lacking, leaving you in no position to complain." Lucia observed dispassionately.

"I'm afraid this just won't do." The Count said as he held up his right hand, palm facing upwards as a sphere of dark energy, similar to what had sealed them into the mansion appeared. With a maniacal laugh he sent it upwards until it slammed into the ceiling and then in a flash expanded until it covered the entire room.

Startled, Alex barely had time to even register that the energy was approaching until it was already too late as it swept past and through all of them. He only blinked for a moment, but in that moment, everything in the room other than the Shinigami and the Vampires vanished. The only difference this time was that other than a short tingling sensation when the energy had passed through him, it did not harm him like it had when he attempted to open the doors to the mansion.

"What a waste," Adrian taunted the Count. "Using that to move your possessions out of harm's way. You won't be around to bring them back."

The Count just put his hands together, his finger tips barely touching as if he was actually considering what Adrian had just said. "There is that possibility," He smiled mischievously. "However, it did far more than that."

He moved forward until he was in the center of the room. "Why don't you attack me and find out?" The Count looked at each one, sighing with regret upon resting his gaze on Lucia who was using her crystal communicator.

"What a disappointment, It seems I must bring the fight to you." And then, to the surprise of all the Shinigami, he seemed to vanish.

"What the hell?" Alex muttered as he took a step backwards, looking around frantically for the Count.

All he got was a tiny warning, the barest hint of movement, a shout from Adrian to look out that came too late for him to react. A shadow slammed into him, sending his scythe flying to vanish and Nall lost his grip and was left behind. Then pain blossomed as he was slammed into the wall and he felt something snap in his chest.

What just happened? He wondered as he felt himself starting to slide to the floor as the shock of the blow stunned him momentarily. For a moment it was as if he couldn't move. He found himself staring right into the eyes of the Count and then choking a bit as powerful hands grabbed him by the throat. Weakly he reached up in an attempt to pry them loose.

With a laugh the Count let go and leaped out of range as Lucia's scythe came down with lethal force where he had just been standing. Alex didn't even realize that he was bleeding until Lucia asked him if he was alright.

"Idiot," Adrian growled as he stood between the Count and the others. "Next time pay attention to his movements."

"Alex!" Nall shrieked as he finally settled back on his shoulder.

All of them turned to face the Count as he laughed at them. "I forgot to mention that I just cursed all of you, dragging you partially into the mortal realm." He smirked. "Unless you manage to take care of me and quickly, the longer you are here, the more mortal you will become."

"Lucia," Alex started to say.

"What he says is correct, whatever that energy was, it has destabilized our connection with this world and that of the Shinigami, if we don't find a way to counter it, I estimate that within a few hours, we will die." She looked briefly at Alex. "It's also the reason he managed to hurt you so easily, we've already lost part of the protection that comes from not truly being a part of this world."

"Lovely," Alex snarled as he called his scythe back and took up a guarded stance, trying to tune out the Count's mocking laughter.

Edited by Allamorph

Lucia stood back a bit as Adrian moved to engage the Count, pulling out her Crystal Communicator and using precious seconds to start a new program she had written but hadn't used yet. There hadn't been a situation where she could, but now? she set it in motion and then quickly put it away. It would let her know when or if it was able to gather the information she needed. Until then dealing with the Count and his speed which was similar to theirs was going to take all of her concentration and then some.

"Are you ready Alex?" She queried as she watched Adrian and the Count, focusing on watching his reaction time and how he moved.

"It doesn't matter." He looked directly at her. ?I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that with that kind of speed, Ruby and Nall would be better off steering clear, they aren't exactly graceful or very quick.?

"I heard that you twit." Ruby growled. "Even if we aren't as quick our true form is far tougher than yours."

"No, he's right. For now, both of you steer clear and wait for the right moment to strike."

"Fine!" Ruby took off in a huff and went over to join Astera who was over by the little vampire girl, a moment later Nall did the same.

Both of them looked at one another and then took off to join Adrian who was already attempting to pin the Count down to finish him off. But he was quick, far more than any vampire or creature that any of them had faced and to Lucia?s eyes, it was clear that Alex was already moving slower as a result of the injury he had sustained. A fact that as they attempted to strike the Count, was mercilessly exploited by him, forcing both Lucia and Adrian to be on the defensive a bit.

She was beginning to wonder if they would be able to stop him without Aeru's help when a sudden blast of the energy the Count had used to curse them, forced the three to dodge the attack, leaving him open to shout at Nevril to come to her master's aid. But to everyone?s surprise, she simply stared forward, ignoring the Count.

"Get over here!" The Count demanded as he gracefully sidestepped Adrian?s downward cut, ignoring the sparks that flew from his scythes hitting the stone floor. Angered he started to move towards Aeru and stopped incredulously when of all things, Astera laughed at him in her tiny shrill voice.

"Shes not listening!" She cried triumphantly. "You're not the only one who can use magic loser!"

Furious the Count gathered the energy in a ball, hurling it at the group but Aeru knocked it to the side with a laugh, leaving the Count no choice but to retreat a bit when the others converged on his location.

"You can't break the ties between vampires." He hissed with fury.

"I can cloud them, any fairy can." Astera smirked. "What's the matter? Afraid to face the others? Are you saying you need to hide behind a child to win?? She laughed mockingly at him and then chastised the others who were watching. "Dont just stand there looking stupid! Take care of that bastard!"

With a tiny shake of her head Lucia turned back to dealing with the Count, she could sort out what Astera said later. Fairy or not, to the best of her knowledge, Astera had never once done anything to indicate that she was anything more than just a companion for Adrian. After all familiars were not chosen based on ability but rather on suitability for their intended partners. Though as she got a glimpse of Nall and Ruby who were hovering close to the little vampire, it was clear from their expression that they were not surprised.

Interesting.

Edited by Allamorph

Before the debris had gotten a chance to clear from the air, two blurred shapes broke from the cloud and shot towards Nathan. The shinigami drew his scythe instantly, turning as it spun though his fingers. Metal clashed on metal twice, and Nathan sheathed his weapon again fluidly, facing his new opponents with a raised eyebrow.

“Well, now,” he commented in offhand curiosity. “I haven’t seen those kinds of blades in a very long time. Not since the war….”

“Whaddya know?” returned one of them, idly flipping the knife in his hand. “We’ve got ourselves a veteran, here.” He grinned nastily. “About time we had some action.”

Nathan studied the two vampires in front of him. The first one to speak—the one to the left—was fairly well-built and an average height, which gave Nathan a good two-inch advantage. The man had a long face, but his features were soft and boyish, and his sandy-brown hair was close-cropped. He wore a pair of faded blue jeans, black boots, and a grey woolen pullover with the collar up and the zipper down, exposing a plain white shirt underneath. He leaned forward in his stance, and his head tilted down, so that he stared out from under his brows.

The other was a woman, about Nathan’s height, with short blonde hair—except for the slightly longer crimson mohawk that ran back across the top of her head. She was dressed in jeans and grey sneakers, a light brown leather hide jacket closed all the way up, and a wool scarf wrapped snugly around her neck. She stood back a bit, resting her offhand on her hip, and she looked at the death angel disdainfully, holding her head high. Her features were pretty and slightly icy.

Each of them held a long combat knife in their right hand. They were simple weapons, designed for function more than looks, but the metal of their blades were black like charcoal. Nathan knew that metal, had fought against many a vampire wielding the same kind of weapon; they were well-made knives, he decided, judging from the ease with which the male vampire continued to toss his.

Nathan gestured to it.

“Where’d you come by that?” he asked casually.

The man shrugged. “Standard issue. I was told that these are what we fight your kind with.”

“Right.” Nathan laughed once. “Victor tell you that?”

“Victor?” questioned the woman. “Are we supposed to know the name?”

Now it was Nathan’s turn to shrug. “I thought you might have heard it. It’s of no consequence.” He hooked his thumbs carelessly in his pockets. “At any rate, you both are far too young to appreciate those blades. In fact, I’d guess that neither of you are over sixty.”

“Your point?” the man asked sarcastically.

“You both work for the Count, correct?” The vampires said nothing. Nathan raised his eyebrow again. “I’ll take that as a ‘supposedly’,” he said with a smirk.

“According to my sources,” he continued, “this Count creature takes mainly children as his … associates. I know vampires who age do so slowly, and you both appear to be late teens at best. You,” he said, indicating the girl, “are understandable, given the circumstances, but I sincerely question your partner’s presence.

“Furthermore, you—” he pointed to the man “—have no bite scars on your neck, which means you were sired, not turned. Born and turned vampires don’t particularly enjoy working with each other, which tells me you both are born, and therefore age. Given your appearances, I’d place you both at around fifty to fifty-five, though I could be a little off….”

“Enough!” the woman spat. “What will our age matter, when you’re dead?” She lunged at Nathan.

The shinigami dodged effortlessly. “It means,” he continued, unperturbed, “that neither of you actually know what you’re dealing with. Or who, as it were.”

“I know you are a shinigami, and that is enough,” she said, recovering herself.

“Indeed?” Nathan returned flatly. “I believe your partner mentioned, correctly, that I am a war veteran. Surely that should cause you some concern. I mean, come on,” he said, motioning to the room. “I did take care of your little legion of monsters already.”

The woman uttered a scornful laugh. “It seems it is you who know nothing,” she mocked him. “As long as a single one of us stands, we are a legion.”

Nathan rolled his eyes.

Edited by Allamorph

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't going to work. Adrian thought as they attempted to corner the Count only for him to dodge their attacks again and again. Even if he had cursed them, it didn't change the fact that they were still Shinigami. Losing that protection would kill them long before they could truly become mortal for the simple reason that they were not mortal to begin with. Lucia, for all her knowledge that she had gotten over the centuries, was still for lack of a better word, young. Her estimate that they had several hours was inaccurate, they would die much sooner than that.

Adrian wasn't all that much older than she was, but he had far more experience or rather different knowledge that he had gotten from mentors who had taught him about the wars between the Shinigami and the Vampires. It was possible that Nathan had actually been around back then, but the few times he had spoken to him, he never volunteered any information to Adrian as to his past. But Adrian had no doubt that he had some experience even if it was just from dealing with human wars like Adrian had.

Alex and Lucia were skilled, but they both lacked the calm and the utter precision of moving in battle without wasting a single movement. And that lack of skill was going to be their undoing if they didn't find a way to counter the loss in strength and ability due to the curse. Adrian was already being forced to stick more to the defensive to counter Alex's lost of movement from getting hurt. Against anyone else it wouldn't matter but against the Count? He was pressing the advantage, repeatedly singling Alex out, forcing him and Lucia to stop his attacks.

"This isn't going to work." Adrian finally told the other two after a powerful blow sent the Count flying, one of the few hits he had managed to actually land on him.

"You're slowing us down Alex, if we keep defending you we are going to lose." Adrian said coldly. "It would be better if you joined Ruby, Nall and that vampire child and let Aeru take your place."

"If I can't help here, what makes you think I would be any good at protecting the vampire? You make no sense Adrian." Alex snapped, frustrated at his apparent inability to really help out.

"You're not thinking fool." Adrian said even as Lucia moved to engage the Count. "Both Ruby and Nall can make up for your limitations should the Count get past us, now stop complaining and get over there!" He only waited long enough to make sure Alex did as he was told before he moved to help Lucia who was being backed into a corner.

With a vicious grin Adrian launched himself at the Count, both scythes extended, ready to skewer the Count. But with a powerful blow he sent Lucia head over heels to slam into the closet wall and turned at the last second possible, catching the shafts of the scythes just below the blades.

"You're going to need to be faster than that if you ever hope to defeat me." The Count started to gloat and then for the briefest of seconds looked surprised as the scythes vanished and Adrian brought both hands up and sent sheets of the blue flames slamming into him.

With a sickening crunch the Count was thrown back and slammed into the nearest wall. Adrian moved to finish him, calling his scythes back as he prepared to run the Count through, but just before he would have hit the Count sidestepped the blow and then caught Adrian from behind when the Scythes dug into the wall.

Adrian didn't have time to react as strong arms forced him face first into the wall and the Count spoke in a voice just loud enough for him to hear as he held him fast. A moment later Adrian's face twisted with anger over what was said and with a snarl he threw the Count off, twisting impossibly as he slashed with the blade of his scythe and tore though the Counts tunic, leaving a red line running across his chest.

The Count just laughed and then turned to deal with Lucia and Aeru as they moved to strike him down. Smirking as their downward strikes missed and bounced off the floor with a loud clatter.

"Come now, surely you can do better than that?" The Count just smirked as the three converged on his location.

Edited by Allamorph

“Fine,” Nathan said, throwing up his scythe hand in exasperation. “I appear to have dragged this farce on for far too long. Neither of you know anything of what should concern you; and of what concerns me, you seem strangely unwilling to part with. Obviously I should have simply killed you both and been on my way.”

“You arrogant son of a *****,” growled the short-haired man. “You won’t be the one doing the killing here.”

He darted forward as he spoke, but instead of lunging he launched into a series of fast, controlled slashes, forcing Nathan to parry furiously. Nathan backpedaled a few steps, letting the vampire press forward; as the man slashed across his body, Nathan feinted and struck with the direction of the cut, and the vampire’s balance faltered. Nathan’s scythe slammed upward, and only the vampire’s instinct kept his head from being split open by its blade, which instead ripped a gash from his right cheek up through his eye.

The woman was behind him; Nathan turned to block her strike and delivered a spinning kick to her chest, sending her reeling backwards. Coming around, he deflected the man’s thrust with his free hand and, grabbing his wrist, pulled himself hard into the vampire, plunging his scythe into the man’s exposed chest.

The vampire froze, a shocked gasp choking in his throat.

“Were you saying something just now?” Nathan asked sweetly. He spun his victim around to shield against any attacks by the man's partner, but she had frozen as well, watching the two men from a careful distance.

The man choked again. A vicious twist on the scythe forced an agonized groan from him.

“I could have sworn you were saying something,” Nathan continued. “I think it was really funny.” Another twist; veins stood out on the vampire’s face, and his facial wound began dripping blood. “Something about killing, I think it was.” Nathan glanced to the woman. “Is that what you heard?”

The woman glared at him. “You swine,” she muttered.

Nathan grinned nastily and tore his scythe free. He stepped casually to the side, and the vampire’s body fell to the floor with a dull thud.

“Let me ask you something,” he said, looking at the fallen corpse. “Did you two do something stupid recently? Something that might have made certain people . . . displeased?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” the woman spat.

Nathan gave her a sideways glance. “Right,” he said, raising an eyebrow. He turned to face her. “Well then, here’s a history lesson for you,” he continued, “since you seem to be so blissfully ignorant of your own kind’s past.

“We weren’t your kind’s only enemies during the War. It took you people a long time to figure out how to work together, and even now it seems the lesson didn’t stick. You constantly fought amongst yourselves, and distrust was rampant between and even in your different factions, which were separated only by mere bloodline most of the time.

“The vampires at the top didn’t take kindly to failure, and when a stepping stone like you screwed up, it was curtains, no questions asked. You were killed and replaced, which is why we didn’t have many problems with your kind at first. You exhausted your own resources, and barely had the manpower to fuel your fight against us. We didn’t even call it a war then,” Nathan scoffed, “we called it ‘situation control’.

“What kept us busy between ‘situations’ were the public executions, the ones when the big guys decided they wanted to humiliate the condemned; or the covered-up killings, when troublesome vampires were disposed of without drawing attention to those who had ordered their demise. Those vampires were sent to us, to fight against us until they died.

“That’s right,” he taunted, chuckling at her shocked expression as his words began to sink in. He started to pace slowly around her, like a cat circling its prey. “We were your executioners. We took care of your kind’s dirty work, of your loose ends. Your own people allowed us to practice on you, to use you as training dummies, as toys. Some of our victims became martyrs; others, barely remembered names. Some of you even won occasionally—though they were usually sent out for a second round some weeks afterward. Sooner or later, they all died.

“Is that why you’re here, then?” Nathan pressed cruelly. “Some of the older vampires are still alive; did you fail them somehow, and are now being dealt with?”

The girl’s eyes were glazed. “He didn’t—” she faltered.

“Didn’t what?!” Nathan shot. “Didn’t tell you? You were given weapons deliberately forged against us; did you think this was going to be a cush job?” He paced faster, keeping her turning, harried and off-balance.

“I don’t—” she stammered, her gaze darting from side to side. “He—”

“He?” the shinigami demanded. “He? He Who?! Who ordered you here? Who is your master? Who sent you here to die?”

The woman’s eyes rose and met his, and for a second he saw confusion and uncertainty there, and his step slowed. Then the window passed, her gaze hardening and her jaw setting in grim line.

Nathan paused by the body of her partner. He looked at it for a second; it had fallen on top of the man’s weapon, pinning it under his chest, and Nathan stooped to retrieve it. With a weary smile, he shook his head and tossed the knife once gently, his breath passing tiredly through his teeth before he roared in frustration, hurling it full-strength at the wall. It buried itself blade-deep.

“So be it,” he said. The woman had assumed a defensive stance, and Nathan eyed her scornfully over his shoulder as he spoke. “I would have killed you regardless, so if you still will not give me what I want, I see no need to prolong your mockery of a life.”

“Come, then,” she retorted, her voice filled with defiance. “You may find me more difficult to slaughter than you did him.”

–She speaks very well, Nathan noted silently. –Much better than her partner; is she really one of Victor’s?

“Indeed?” he laughed, turning. “You think you can match me, a war veteran? I seriously doubt you understand what that means.” He grinned again. “But I suppose I can show you.”

Drawing his scythe in front of him, he matched her stance; their gazes locked, they faced each other, motionless. After a long moment, the corner of Nathan’s mouth twitched.

A split second later, the woman’s eyes grew wide in disbelief.

Edited by Allamorph

I'm so useless! Alex wanted to scream in frustration and only the pain of whatever the Count had done when he had fist attacked him kept him from doing so. Here he was, finally before the one responsible for kidnapping Aeru in the first place, for turning little girls into vampires and yet he could do next to nothing. From the moment they had stepped into the mansion the Count had gotten the better of them.

Don't be so critical, the logical side of him argued, you did help to shatter the illusion he trapped you in remember? Only the small part of him that was cynical argued back that it was Nathan who realized what was going on not him. What can I possibly do to help? Alex resisted the urge to cough just as he ignored the tasted of blood in his mouth. It was bitter and unpleasant and had him feeling sick, a feeling that he was not accustomed to. This must be what it's like for humans when they realize their time is near. It was a feeling he did not like.

"Stop sulking Alex." Nall growled at him. "You're not helping anything by doing so".

"I'm not helping anything period." Alex shot back.

"So what?" Astera piped up. "Instead of feeling sorry for yourself, start watching for a moment when something small or unexpected could make a difference. Not everyone can fight like Nathan and Adrian can."

"That's easy for you to say Astera, after all you're able to do something."

"And it's simple right? Clouding the bond between the Count and the poor vampire here. It?s not enough to win the battle but it does help, much in the same way Nathan realized we were in an illusion and yet without you to help shatter it, that knowledge would have been useless." Astera glared at him. "This isn't about one person making a huge difference, it?' about all of you putting your talents together so stop thinking you can't do something.?

"That's not what I meant!" Alex retorted, stung by her words.

"Isn't it though? Even Adrian is not immune to thinking he needs help, even Nathan understands that. Don't let how they seem so confident fool you into thinking they don't have doubts."

Alex turned away, looking back at the fight. The three were managing to corner the Count, but their attacks seemed to lack the strength to finish him off and at this rate, they would be too weakened to be able to. They needed something to bridge the gap caused by the curse, but the question was? what?

It wasn't so much that they needed more strength but rather more protection. Protection from the curse as well as restoring the natural protection they had as Shinigami. Protection? That?s it! A barrier is what we need!

"Ruby! Nall! I need you to change to your true forms!"

"What are you talking about Alex? You said it yourself, we arent exactly graceful.? Ruby snipped at him.

"That's not the point, I've figured out how to partially counter the Count's curse"! He said excitedly even as he grabbed Nall and set him down on the floor.

"Hey! Easy on the wings!" Nall protested even as he did as Alex requested, shimmering into his full form. "Now what exactly are we suppose to be doing?"

"It's simple really, I need you to use your purifying flames on us, like you did to create a barrier to trap the summoners."

Nall's eyes widened a bit and then he did as he was asked, making sure to be careful to avoid the little vampire girl.

Alex couldn't help but smile as the flames washed over him, settling into place even more firmly than they would have without the curse. He could tell that it wouldn't last, but the moment Nall was done, the pain stopped. For now the curse had been slowed as part of their natural protection was replaced.

"Lucia!" Alex called out but she was already looking his way.

"I know! Hurry up and change Ruby!" She called as she moved to position herself so Ruby could tend to her next.

Edited by Allamorph

Lucia was more than satisfied with the results of using Ruby's and Nall's own skills to enhance their own. It was far from perfect, but it had put the fight back on more equal ground. Something that clearly annoyed the Count as his expression had gone from being amused to cold and more serious. Though it was still a bit ridiculous that even with the three of them he was still managing to hold his own.

It was as if he had uncanny knack of dodging the waves of blue fire sent his way, shifting to the side at the last possible moment to avoid the swing of their scythes while simultaneously sending short bursts of the dark energy at them with whatever hand was currently not being used to block an attack. Lucia had been caught twice in a blast and tossed head over heels, requiring either Aeru or Adrian to step in and keep him from damaging her like he had Alex.

Even with their help, she glanced briefly at Ruby and Nall who were still over by Alex and the others. We're still struggling to win this. She looked back in time to see Adrian, with one of his scythes held sideways, slam it into the Count's chest. Quicker than she would have thought possible he had already launched a wave of fire into him, sending him into the closest wall with a sickening crunch. Another flash of movement and the other scythe had pinned him to the wall by virtue of being rammed though his left shoulder.

"Now Aeru!" Lucia called out as she moved in to assist Adrian in finishing the Count off, her scythe held high as she swung down with all of her strength to take his head off, her eyes meeting his. For the briefest of seconds she saw a maniacally gleam in them and then a giant invisible hand slammed into the three Shinigami, sending them all flying.

Lucia felt something give when she hit the ground and pain ran up her right side when she quickly got back up. Aeru was still down and Adrian was clearly unaffected, having recovered enough to simply land on his feet. To her surprise the Count was still standing by the wall, the scythe that had been pinning him in place back in Adrian's hands.

"It's not over yet." He said coldly as he opened up his right hand to summon a ball of dark energy. It split into three and then shot off to different points in the walls surrounding them.

What is he doing? She didn't have to wonder long as shadows began to form and then step free of the walls, turning into three undead skeletons, with glowing red eyes, filled with hatred. Just how many creatures does he have under his command?

"Let's see how you do now shall we?" The Count grinned maliciously.

"That won't help you!" Aeru snarled as she moved to take one out only to have her scythe hit a wall of the dark energy when the creature raised it's hand to block her, sending her flying backwards. With a flip in mid-air she twisted and landed on her feet close to Lucia.

Edited by Allamorph

Aren't you the clever one. Adrian thought as he watched the Count who was now hanging back, favoring his shoulder where Adrian had skewered him with his scythe. Leaving the fight up to the skeletal creatures that he had summoned. They should have been easy to dispatch, but being armed with the same dark energy that the Count possessed made them a formidable opponent and so far they had only managed to deal with one, taking numerous hits in the process.

The protection boost from Ruby and Nall was wearing thin and with it only slowing the curse, even reapplying it would do nothing more than buy a little more time since with each application, they would still be getting weaker and weaker. I have to end this. He thought as his eyes met those of the Count, a half smile playing across his face. He thinks he's won. Though if he didn't do something and soon they really would lose to the Count. But he couldn't see a way to get past the other two creatures in time to make a difference.

Adrian blocked the downswing from one of the creatures, coming up underneath with his right scythe, sending it staggering backwards. I don't have a choice. He thought grimly. Even if it kills me in the process I have to stop him. He moved to the right until he was nearly touching Lucia who was alternating between sheets of the flames and swings of her scythe in an attempt to get past the creatures guard.

"I need you and Aeru to cover for me." He said as he casually leaped up in time to give her a clear path to strike the second one that had come up behind him. He twisted a bit until he was coming down full force, digging his scythes into the creature's head. Bones snapped as part of the skull broke off and Adrian landed on the floor behind it. He quickly ran flames through the opening to burn it to ashes from the inside out.

"What are you going to do?" Lucia asked as she moved so they were back to back when the Count summoned more to replace the ones they had just dispatched. A moment later Aeru joined them.

"That damn coward." She spat even as she braced herself before launching in the air to nimbly come down on the top of one with her left foot. Jumping off and flipping in mid-air as she twisted and slashed the thing nearly in half as she landed in front of it. Sending blue fire racing from her fingers to tear it apart.

"You'll see." Adrian said with a smirk.

"Wait!" Lucia called out, puzzled by the odd look in his eyes, but other than to realize that he was heading over to where the others were she whirled to face yet another of the creatures since she didn't have time to watch what he was doing. What is he up to? Somehow, his look chilled her, making her wonder what he was going to do.

Adrian didn't have to tell Astera why he had come, she merely fluttered over after putting Nevril to sleep and settled on his right shoulder. He ignored Alex's questions, as well as Ruby's and Nall's knowing looks. He couldn't help but laugh a bit. Even if they didn't fully understand it, they weren't about to say anything. He was sure they knew or at least partially understood what he was up to.

"Are you sure Adrian?" Astera finally asked as he walked away from Alex and back towards the others. "In your state, if I do what you want. It might kill you."

"Even if I wasn't affected, it could still kill me, and if we do nothing, we'll die." He pointed out.

"Well true." Astera looked away and sighed. "If it's the only way, then there's not much we can do about it." She looked back. "Just make sure you kill that bastard!"

"That's my intent." He assured her.

"Very well then." Astera closed her eyes and then a moment later the world around Adrian seemed to slow, at first it was a simple matter to move through it, watching on as the others seemed to have come to a halt, but then within a few steps pain seized his whole body, nearly sending him to the floor.

Hell! This is worse than I expected! He thought as he fought to stay standing. He forced himself to continue moving towards the Count one step at a time. Already he could see him attempting to shatter what Astera had done his movements painfully slow due to her influence. He raised both scythes and with every bit of strength he had left he pinned the Count to the wall.

He started to laugh and then cough violently as he grasped the Count's tunic and poured the blue flames into him recklessly, until his vision grayed and he fell to his knees as the world seemed to move again. Adrian just wavered there on his knees, staring blankly at the Count, he couldn't have moved if he wanted to. The only question on his mind... was it enough? As if in slow motion the Count fell over to land on his right side, a stunned look on his face.

"That's... not... possible..." He choked and then grimaced in pain as he attempted to get back up only to fall back again and then fix Adrian with a look of pure hatred as both Lucia and Aeru moved in to finish him off. Recklessly pouring their own flames into him as well. A moment later, when the flames cleared, all that was left was ashes.

Adrian laughed again and then coughed even more violently, doubling over in pain as blood came up, pouring onto the stone floor. He felt the hands of Lucia and Aeru trying to help him and their distant voices asking if he was alright when the spat of coughing ended. He tried to shake them off only to realize he lacked the strength.

Oh well. He thought as he quit resisting their efforts to move him over so he was sitting against the wall. At least the Count is dead. He looked over at Astera who was still sitting on his shoulder and gave her the tiniest of smiles. Already he could feel the curse breaking and before long he would have his strength back. I wonder if Nathan is still alive?

Edited by Allamorph

Lucia didn't know what had just happened, but she knew an opening when she saw one and like Aeru, she had jumped on the opportunity to finish what Adrian and Astera had started, finishing off the Count before he could somehow recover. But even after they finished him off and then moved Adrian over until he was resting against the closet wall, Astera still perched on his shoulder, it was clear that Adrian was in no condition to respond to any questions. Other than to offer Astera a tiny smile he paid no attention to either Aeru or her, resting his head back against the wall and closing his eyes.

She looked over at Aeru, but from her expression it was clear that she had no idea what they had just done either. Lucia looked back to Adrian and Astera who was simply sitting there, saying nothing as she watched the two of them and then the others who had rushed over to make sure they were okay.

"What happened Astera? What did the two of you do?"

Astera just gave her a look as if she were stupid. "Adrian weakened the Count making it possible for the two of you to finish him."

"That's not what I mean...." Lucia started to say but Astera cut her off.

"Then what do you mean?? Astera replied, a mischievous glint in her eyes that told Lucia she was not going to tell her what had just happened.

"How did you and Adrian manage to move so quickly?"

A lopsided grin was flashed in her direction. "Oh that's easy! You're slow!"

"Forget it Lucia, all that matters is the Count has been dealt with." Alex pulled back when Lucia whirled and shot an irritated glance in his direction before reaching up briefly to touch Ruby when she settled on her right shoulder, as if reassuring herself that she was okay.

"Come on Lucia, let's check on the little vampire girl." Ruby interjected, attempting to break off the argument that was bound to come. After all, she knew better than anyone how much Lucia hated not knowing what was going on.

"Fine." Lucia said shortly, heading over to the other side of the room where Nall was still sitting next to her, he nodded at her and then took off to join Alex once she got there.

"I guess we should wake her up." Lucia sent the tiniest of jolts into her, causing the little girl to stir and open her eyes, looking around with a dazed expression, seemingly unaware of where she was. That's right, she'll be disorientated for a moment now that the bond between her and the Count has been broken.

"Now what do we do?"

Lucia straightened up and turned to see that Alex had come back over, along with Nall. "It's simple, we wait for Adrian to recover and then leave, once we take care of the other vampires as well."

Alex looked down at the little girl. "Yeah, I guess. I mean technically they're already dead." He looked less than thrilled at the thought.

Lucia just sighed inwardly as she was more interested in figuring out what the hell had happened than in dealing with the vampires. She pulled out her communicator, but the data she had gotten made no sense at all and somehow she doubted that Adrian was going to tell her what had happened. She tucked her communicator back into her tunic and turned her attention back to where Adrian and Astera were resting.

Edited by Allamorph

“Technically they were dead the moment we entered the building.”

Surprised, the shinigami turned around to find Nathan standing over the Count’s remains, studying them intently. The blue figure glanced up and sent Alex an innocent look.

“...technically,” he added, raising his eyebrows briefly.

Lucia opened her mouth to respond, but by this point she was so utterly flabbergasted by the previous five minutes that no sound escaped her, and she could no longer decide whether she wanted more to vent some of her frustrations on Nathan or ask him how in the world he had managed to get into the room, and behind her no less.

As if he were reading her thoughts, Nathan shrugged. “Back door,” he said matter-of-factly. Lucia’s mouth snapped shut.

Nathan’s gaze drifted to Adrian, who was leaning painfully against the wall yet somehow retaining the same irritated expression, and his eyes narrowed slightly. “I see someone’s been playing a very dangerous game,” he remarked.

Adrian glared at him. “Maybe . . . ,” he managed, “. . . if somebody else . . . had—”

Nathan held up his hand to stop him.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I should have worded that better.” He paused, turned back to the ashes, and to Adrian again.

“You look like ****.”

Adrian grunted disapprovingly and closed his eyes again, but he said nothing, and Nathan knew the injured shinigami was at least partially amused. He crouched and began tracing a strange sigil in the ashes, idly twirling his scythe between his fingers.

“Counto . . . sama??”

Nathan’s eyes darted up. The little vampire girl from before was tottering uncertainly towards him with a glazed expression, completely focused on the pile of dust below him. Still twirling his scythe, he came slowly to his feet, bringing the weapon across his body close to his opposite shoulder. He leaned forward.

Alex was just stepping forward to stop Nevril when Nathan moved. To him, it seemed like a scene straight out of an anime; one instant Nathan was across the room, the next he was three inches from Alex’s face, his scythe held behind him. Alex recoiled with a shout.

Aeru watched in disbelief as Nevril’s body gave one violent jerk and stiffened; the vampiress’s shocked eyes stared vacantly at the ceiling, and her mouth hung dumbly open.

“Nevril!” cried Aeru, rushing to her charge’s side. Nathan turned and watched curiously as the distraught shinigami tried to get a response from the little girl.

“You’re wasting your time,” he told her calmly.

Aeru whirled on him. “What have you done to her?!”

“What should have been done in the first place.”

“But we needed her to get here!!” screamed Aeru furiously.

Nathan’s brow furrowed. “No,” he said, “we didn’t.”

“But you were—!”

Lucia’s voice interrupted the argument. “Excuse me, Nathan,” she started, clearly not caring if she were excused or not, “but would you care to inform me how you can move like that?”

Nathan stopped and shot Adrian a sideways glance; Adrian’s little companion was looking at him conspiratorially, so Nathan doubted Lucia knew what he had done, either. He raised his eyebrows.

“Very carefully,” he replied, and was rewarded with a giggle from Astera and an angry stomp from Lucia.

“That doesn’t matter,” he continued. “But this does.” He held up his left hand, which held a misshapen black object that looked like an organ of some kind. “You asked what I did to her,” Nathan said to Aeru, “...I removed her soul.

“Well, almost.” He stepped forward, tossing the sac gently in the air. With each moist slap of the object against his palm, Nevril’s body quivered; Nathan stopped when he reached her and stood there for a moment. “I seem to be monologuing a lot today,” he mumbled to himself as he sheathed his scythe. “But I’m the good guy....

He cleared his throat. “Anyway, this stuff I’m holding right now is actually encasing Nevril’s soul. Every vampire has one of these inside them; in the moments before a human dies and becomes a vampire, their soul is surrounded by this material and not allowed to pass on. It also prevents us from knowing of their death, and because of this we’re usually not around to intervene.

“Once the vampire is fully turned or resurrected, their abilities are immediately enhanced, and they are able to interact directly with our plane of existence. They’re not terribly powerful at first, but they grow stronger with age, and vampires that have lived for a while can begin to hold their own against us, whom they view as their natural enemies.

“Also,” he patted Nevril’s shoulder, “this little girl is pretty young, and her soul was simple to remove. The older a vampire becomes, the thicker the casing grows, and the more difficult it is for us remove it like I just did, or even to penetrate it. I knew of a vampire once who withstood seven direct hits from a scythe before finally dying.”

“You saw this happen?” asked Alex.

“Yes,” Nathan answered quietly. “I was swinging.”

Alex fell silent.

“Vampires are often perceived as immortal because there isn’t a lot that humans can do to kill them.” Nathan went on. “Our scythes and the cleansing fire are the only things capable of penetrating their soul casings and allowing their souls to break free of their life. Vampires will die if they lose enough blood, or sustain an extremely fatal injury such as a severed head, but those events cause their soul casings to weaken considerably, and one of us is always there to finish the job. That’s another reason vampires hate us: we can directly kill them, and we’re allowed to be there if they die by other means.

“Speaking of finishing the job, though,” he said, tossing the sac high into the air, “this is my favorite part.” He grasped his right wrist as if to brace it and, fingers extending again, he raised his arm to track the fleshy object as it fell. A thin laser of blue fire burst from his fingertips and seared through it, slicing it cleanly in half, and it disintegrated before it hit the ground. Nevril’s body collapsed, and Aeru leaped to catch her.

“Well then,” said Nathan, stepping over to add a finishing mark to his dust drawings. “Seems like we’re done here. Let’s get out of this place.”

“But, Nevril!” started Aeru.

“Leave her,” Nathan ordered flatly.

“But she’s—”

“She’s dead.”

“You killed her!!” she screamed, charging furiously at him.

He caught her arms easily before she had the chance to strike him. “That’s what we do,” he told her as she fought his grip. “Aeru—Aeru!” Nathan locked eyes with her, waiting until she was decently calm again. “That’s what we do.” He released her slowly. “Let her go. She may have been a nice person, but she’d lived past her time, and she had to move on.”

Adrian uttered a short, derisive laugh. “Is that what you—?”

“No,” Nathan interrupted. “And you will not speak of that subject again unless I allow it. Now let’s get you moving. Alex,” he called over his shoulder as he made for his ally, “gimme a hand with this guy.”

“What about the other vampires?” Lucia interjected. “How are we supposed to get rid of them, with only two of us left?”

“Don’t worry about that,” said Nathan. “I already cleared them out.”

“What?!”

“The stuff in the anteroom didn’t take me as long as I expected,” he continued as he and Alex hoisted Adrian to his feet. “So I went back and cleared out the rest of them. There weren’t many,” he reasoned, “and I found the back door to this room in the process, so we can just head out.

“Now,” he said, as they started to exit, “what the hell happened to you people?”

Edited by Allamorph

Alex was beginning to think he understood a little of the emotion that humans called fear. In all his time as a Shinigami, until coming to this mansion he had never been so forcefully startled or even hurt for that matter. Though it was clear, as he and Nathan helped Adrian to his feet, that both of them including the Count had some means of moving quicker. How the hell they did so he didn't have a clue and whatever Adrian had done... it looked like it had done some serious damage, far worse than what he had gotten from the Count. Though now that the curse was gone he could feel that fading as his own energy repaired the damage. What in the world did Adrian do to hurt himself like that?

It was to be frank, puzzling since unlike the Count or even Nathan, he hadn't gotten any sense of movement at all from Adrian. Nothing at all. One moment he was only a few steps in front of him, the next he was on the other side of the room, dealing with the Count. Or was he imagining things and it only seemed that way because he had been hurt? Alexander shook his head as they took the back door that Nathan had come in through, only partially listening to Lucia as she explained how the fight had gone. He was too busy wondering if he could convince either one of them to show him how to move that quickly, it would come in handy should he ever run into a vampire again.

They were probably about halfway towards the entrance when a shrill voice caught their ears. It was Shalua who now that the Count was dead, was free of the trap she had been caught in. Alex winced at the screech in her voice as she ranted about how she was going to clobber them for not setting her free before heading for the Count. Ugh, this is the last thing we need, it's not like we wanted to leave her there.

To Alex's utter surprise, the moment Shalua got in range Adrian lifted his head a bit to fix her with a glare. "Shut. Up." He said as forcefully as he could in his condition.

"Don't you tell me to shut up Adrian!" Shalua shot back as she worked herself into a frenzy, becoming even more agitated.

"Astera..." Adrian managed before another less severe bought of coughing seized him, causing him to grimace in pain.

"You heard him! Shut up or I'll do it for you!" Astera took off, moving until she was facing the pair directly.

"You?" Yutuko said with disbelief. "That's a laugh."

"You asked for it!" Astera shrieked, getting angry. A split second later Shalua collapsed to the floor, leaving everyone, other than Nathan, startled as to what had just happened.

"Why you!" Yutuko started to protest only to halt when Lucia intervened, moving so she was literally standing between the two.

"That's enough! All she did was put her to sleep so there's nothing to get excited over!" She looked to Nathan who merely looked amused at what was going on. "Go ahead you two, I'll wake her up once you're outside."

Nathan offered one of those tiny half grins of amusement that he often did before he nodded at Alex who in turn continued towards the entrance to the mansion.

"I swear," Alex muttered as they finally left the mansion. "She gets more shrill with each passing day." Astera just gave him a look and laughed a bit.

"I guess we should take him to his place here in the city?" Alex inquired. "Or does he need someone to keep an eye on him while he recovers?"

Edited by Allamorph

"I guess we should take him to his place here in the city?" Alex inquired. "Or does he need someone to keep an eye on him while he recovers?"

Adrian tried to shrug his way free of the two helping him but couldn't as he was still too exhausted. "I don't need... someone... to keep an... eye on me!" For a brief second he got the impression that Nathan was laughing at him, even if nothing was said, but the impression was fleeting and he couldn't be sure without turning to see his expression.

It was true though, now that the blasted curse was gone, all he needed was time to rest since his own spiritual energy would reverse the damage that had been done. Much in the same way it was doing so for the others, only they hadn't done what he had. Even if he hadn't been cursed, it would have still caused a problem. After all, it wasn't exactly a standard technique that a Shinigami could do. And the curse only made it worse, at least Nathan had been free of it as well as Shalua, since that would have left them free to tackle the Count if they had failed. Though in Adrian's opinion it would have rested on Nathan at that point since Shalua was pretty useless anyway.

"I don't suppose you could show me how you did that?" Alex asked almost timidly. "You know, move so quickly?" He gave Adrian a hopeful look.

Adrian just gave off a half laugh. "No." He ignored Alex's disappointed look, after all, he couldn't show him even if he wanted to. It simply wasn't possible. He sighed a bit as the two helped him sit down on the steps so he was leaning back against the short stone wall running along side the steps heading into the mansion.

It hadn't seemed like much time had passed, but it was already the next day, probably close to noon by how high the sun was. And though he was not claustrophobic, Adrian found the feel of the sunlight pouring down on him rather soothing. I should have Astera open up the curtains at my place once we get back.

"Someone needs to inform the others that we recovered Aeru and dealt with the Count." Nall reminded the group as Lucia and the rest finally exited the mansion. Shalua was oddly silent for a change other than to shoot an irritated glance in Astera's direction. A look that she countered by smiling sweetly at her in return.

"Send Shalua" Ruby said flippantly. "That way she can actually feel useful for a change."

"Ruby!" Lucia admonished her, even as Shalua sputtered over the obvious insult.

"Oh come now, she's best suited for it. Adrian can't get back home without help and either Nall or I can simply transform and carry him now that we're outside." She looked over at Nathan.

"I've no idea what Nathan wishes to do, but you, Alex, Nall and I can see to Adrian and Astera while those two decide what they want to do." Ruby took off and shimmered into her full form.

"If they don't want to deal with the Council then I will once we see to Adrian first." She looked over to Nathan who just offered her the tiniest of nods. "That settles it then. Get moving Shalua before I really give you something to complain about."

Shalua shot her an irritated glance before she along with her familiar took to the air and left. Ruby just snorted, still a bit irritated that she had been so damn whiny over being left trapped when it was necessary and not an intended slight towards her.

A moment later both Lucia and Alex had helped Adrian up onto her back and she took flight, heading towards the city with both Adrian and Lucia in place. "We'll catch you later Nathan." She said in parting.

The last thing Adrian saw was Aeru standing there, still quietly saying nothing. He wondered if she was still furious that Nathan had dealt with all the vampires, including the little girl they had used to get to the Count. He closed his eyes and put it out of mind, eager to be back at his place so he could get some much needed rest.

Edited by Allamorph

• 2 weeks later...

–So, Nathan thought as he watched the others fly away from the mansion?s rear garden, –Adrian knows how to bond with his partner. Dangerous knowledge there. I wonder if he knows how dangerous it really is. I wonder what else he knows. I wonder who told him.

–And it was Alex who bought them the time, eh? Interesting. He picked up the Chant, too. Promising boy; I think Trey would have liked him, even if he?s a little wet behind the ears.

He sighed inwardly. –And now we have this little problem.

He glanced to his left. Aeru was walking disconsolately beside the garden wall, her arms folded against her chest. Nathan couldn't see her face, but he could hear her sniffle every now and again, and as he watched her she drew her hand across her eyes; it glistened with moisture when she pulled it away.

Nathan closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. He didn't like where this was headed.

"Hey...," he began gently.

She whirled on him, her face stained with tears. "No!" she cried, flinging her arms down. "You know what, Nathan? Just ... just ... no." She turned her face away, sniffing again. "Don't say anything to me, okay? You're mean, you're cruel, and you hide behind that—that stupid mask all the time. You don't even care, do you? You ... just don't, okay?" She hugged herself. "Just don't."

Nathan studied her for a few seconds. She was obviously distraught; one didn't have to be empathic to figure that part out. Breaking away, he looked back towards the direction the others had taken, but they had already disappeared from view.

"You know, I wasn't always this color," he started again. Out of the corner of his vision, he saw Aeru give him a startled stare, though she tried to cover it immediately with scorn.

"I was rather normal-looking a long time ago," he continued, catching her eye. "Blonde, actually. A rather nice color for hair, I think. I liked it, at least. I miss it, sometimes; looking normal, I mean." He grinned. "It's not easy, being blue."

Aeru snorted. "So what happened?" she asked. "Freak accident?"

"No," Nathan told her, "nothing like that." He started towards her. "But it's nothing you need to know about now, and something I hope you never learn.

"The bottom line is that I was too involved with a situation that blew up on me, and I had a severe conflict of interest that resulted in a desperate and otherwise completely inadvisable solution. I got attached to someone," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder, "and it came back to haunt me."

"I know it's not fair," he said before she could protest. "It's never fair. But she was supposed to be dead already. It doesn't matter that she probably didn't have a chance at life in the first place; I could say the same thing of those teenagers I had to take two days ago, or the infant last week.

"We're here to bring death, to end the cycle for the other souls who live here with us. Vampires, they aren't supposed to be here. They're dead and yet not dead. So it falls to us to fix that mistake. We have to kill them, Aeru," he entreated. "That's what we do, whether they deserve it or not."

Aeru shook her head. "Then I can't do this," she said softly.

–Oh no, Nathan thought. –Here it comes.

"You don't have to," he said hastily. "I can keep you off the front line when these missions turn up, you can ask for a reassignment–"

"You don't understand," she interrupted.

–Yes, I do. I know.

"I can't keep doing this at all. Not with what I know or what I've seen. I don't know what I'd do." She looked at Nathan imploringly. "I just can't keep being a Shinigami."

Nathan sighed. "I understand," he murmured. He stepped back. "Do what you need to do."

Aeru offered him a wan smile and turned to her familiar, who had been hovering uncertainly behind her the entire time. "Come on, Joe," she said, opening her arms. "Let's go."

With a skeptical expression, the cat obeyed, and Aeru snuggled him tightly to her chest. She closed her eyes and bowed her head, and as Nathan watched they glowed and turned transparent, vanishing into white light and a shower of sparkles.

Nathan looked at the spot where she?d stood for a long time.

–I've seen far too much of that.

Edited by Allamorph

Lucia didn't get a chance to talk to Adrian, not that she was planning on it when it was clear he wasn't up to it. They hadn't even made it back to the city and he was already out. Something that was surprising since he was not one to trust others even if the chances of her losing her grip and him falling off Ruby were pretty slim. Especially when he made it easy by simply leaning forward so he was resting face first on Ruby?s back. It was easy to hold him in place.

Getting him into his apartment in the human world was a simple matter as well. No one could see them unless they wished it and it was an easy matter for her to cloak his presence as well. Between her and Alex they got him off of Ruby?s back once they landed on the roof where he lived and then followed Astera as she casually opened the doors with a touch. Something that in his state was probably better since he didn?t need to waste the energy needed to simply ghost through the walls.

Neither one of them had been in his apartment before and though it was furnished plainly, it was surprising to Lucia at how open and airy it was. Her and Alex simply situated Adrian on his bed, ignoring his sleepy groan of protest before heading outside, pausing only to talk briefly with Astera.

"I know he says he doesn't need anyone to look after him, but contact us just the same if you need anything.? Lucia looked back inside the apartment through the open door and then back at Astera. "Even if you have defensive magic, don't put yourself at risk, just put them to sleep and we'll come immediately to deal with any problems."

Astera just smirked. "I know what to do." She gave each of them a nod and a parting word of thanks before flying back into the apartment, the door closing and locking behind her.

"Are you sure it's wise to leave him alone in that state?" Alex asked as Lucia started to leave.

"It's not, at least not with out Astera around. She can deal with any humans long enough for us to get here if needed." Lucia turned to leave and stopped.

"Feel free to stick around if you want, I have business that I need to attend to." And with that she took off, with Ruby calming sitting on her shoulder as she flew through the walls of the building and headed back to the mansion at top speed.

"What are you doing Lucia!" Ruby complained. "Why are we going back there?"

Lucia started to answer and then stopped when she realized that Nathan was still there along with Isen who must have joined him while she and Alex along with Ruby and Nall had taken Adrian and Astera back to his place. It was only common courtesy to come in and land, facing him to see what was going on.

Oddly, he seemed to merely be spending a moment with Isen who was curled up along his shoulder nuzzling his ear while he alternated between stroking her fur in short and long little strokes. Then as if realizing that she was there Isen hopped down to calmly sit on the stone bench just behind Nathan.

"So what brings you back here?" Nathan inquired politely, eying the Crystal Communicator that Lucia was already holding in her left hand.

"I intend to scan for any residual traces of what the Count did to–" Lucia blinked and then frowned in irritation when she realized that Nathan was standing on the short stone wall that ran along the path to the mansion, casually holding her Crystal communicator as he looked it over. He had moved so quickly that she hadn't even felt him take it from her.

"So?" Nathan drew the word out, looking amused. "How exactly does this thing work?"

Lucia gave him a flat stare and moved to take it back instead of answering him only to grunt in surprise when Nathan seemed to vanish and then reappear standing on the other low stone wall running along the path.

"You didn't answer my question." He chided her, obviously holding the laughter in. He tossed the Crystal Communicator carelessly up into the air, neatly catching it when it came back down, looking directly at the surface where Lucia always seemed to be reading something. He frowned ever so slightly.

"I seem to have broken it."

Lucia folded her arms and sighed. "It's not broken. It won't work for you since you are not keyed to it. It will not respond to your spiritual energy as it is keyed to only work for mine." Lucia hopped down and calmly walked across the walkway and extended her left hand once she was a few feet from where Nathan was standing up higher.

"So would you please give it back? It's useless to you and I have data on it that is important."

Nathan grinned, "Not yet. You still didn't answer my question."

"If you want me to tell you that, then come bother me another time, I need to get the scans before all of the residual traces of what the Count did fades." Lucia folded her arms across her chest. "I don't have time to properly explain it to you right now."

She did her best to keep her irritation in since she didn't understand how he could move so quickly and she was not completely healed from the minor injuries she had gotten. There was no point in wasting her energy in a game of chase that she couldn't win.

Nathan gave her a measuring look, a half grin, and then with a negligent flip of his right hand, he tossed the Crystal Communicator to her. Lucia caught it with ease and stalked off to the Mansion, too irritated to say anything else, ignoring the fact that Nathan was likely still laughing at her as she left. A moment later, she and Ruby were inside the building and in just a few more moments as she started her scans, she had already dismissed Nathan from her thoughts in order to concentrate on what she was doing.

Edited by Allamorph

Alex sort of left once Lucia had as well, but not all that far really, finding a spot on the roof of the next building over to take a seat with Nall calmly sitting on his left shoulder like always. He was feeling uncertain as to what he should do next, more than a desire to keep an eye on Adrian. It wasn't that he didn't want to, it was more that he didn't want to incur his irritation. Adrian was civil most of the time, but when he was annoyed, his comments were sharp and cutting and Alex had not forgotten the last time he had used that disdain of his on him.

He didn't understand why Adrian seemed to hold everything and everyone other than perhaps Astera in such contempt, though he imagined he had his reasons. He'd stay for a little while and then he knew he would head for his own place. Alex and Nall were free to do as they pleased for just a little bit. He had already shot off a brief message and an estimate of how long it would take for his spiritual energy to repair the damage the Count had done. The short reply had been nothing more than a fine, contact us when you are ready. By his estimates that would take about a day in the human world. I wonder how long it will take for Adrian to heal?

"Are you planning on staying here for a while Alex?"

"Sort of. If Adrian wasn't..." He paused as he was at a loss for words to describe what he wanted to say. Since he couldn't think of a polite way to put it.

"Don't worry about it, Lucia is right. Astera can call us if there is a need and if he keeps waking up to realize that someone is hovering over him, it will only annoy him. Besides, it's not like we can't check the area a couple of times a day. Even once we start working again since I imagine he'll be laid up for a while."

Alex was puzzled, how would Nall know how long it would take Adrian to recover? "How would you know that Nall?"

Nall snorted with surprise. "Honestly Alex, this is why you need more training instead of running around with your head in the clouds."

"There's no need to be rude Nall."

"Alex, you were cursed, stripped of the protection that comes from being a Shinigami. On top of that, all of you had battled extensively before you even got to the Count. Between the curse, the strain of what he did to move so quickly, and then recklessly pouring nearly every ounce of spiritual energy he had into the flames of purification directed at the Count on top of that... He's lucky he didn't kill himself in the process."

Alex's didn't know what to say to that, after all, he hadn't helped the situation by getting hurt, putting the others in the position of needing to defend him. Otherwise, the Count would have killed him, of that he had no doubt whatsoever. He hadn't even known that one could move that quickly. And though he was sure Nathan had not intended it, after the Count pulling that move on him... having him do something similar had scared the hell out of him, even if only for a moment.

Alex finally sighed. "I need to learn more, if other vampires can move quickly like the Count, Nathan and Adrian, if I run into them again, I won't stand a chance. But Adrian said no, do you think Nathan would be willing to tell me?"

"You'll have to ask him to find out." Nall said as Alex finally got up to leave and go to his own place. Alex just sighed as he took to the air and made his way to his own place in the city. Once he healed up, then he'd look into talking to Nathan.

Edited by Allamorph

Adrian did not want to fall asleep, at least not before they got back to his place, but he found himself unable to stay awake and even the hints of movement he got from the group only served to barely drag him out of the dreams he was falling into. Adrian rarely slept since not only did Shingami not require it but because for some reason the few times he did, he always dreamed of things he would rather forget. Every so often he?d allow himself to sleep and then later regret it, but now? after what he had done, he couldn't force himself to stay awake, the energy drain and damage was too great. Triggering what could only be called a type of healing trance that was instinctive to all Shinigami.

After all, never had he used so much energy in such a short period of time. Even before he had gotten to the Count, he had battled quite a bit and such a thing didn't come without a cost. Channeling Astera's ability through him was a serious drain even if he wasn't tired and exhausted on account extensive fighting and some curse. But doing so was required or else he too would have had his connection to time altered, after all it was a defensive magic designed to allow her to flee, not for what purpose he had put it to. Channeling it was required for him to be able to move freely like Astera could, even if it was a terrible strain.

Bonding with one?s familiar was not standard procedure, for the simple reason that even with the knowledge, it didn't mean one was even capable of doing such a thing. Hell, even he hadn't known what had happened at first since it was not something he had actively sought, it had been more of an accident than an intentional bonding. Though it had taken very little time to realize what had happened.

When Adrian first became one of the chosen ones, a Shinigami, at first, he had no familiar at all. Refusing a partner on the grounds that he needed a ?tag along? like he needed a hole in his head. And since there was no solid argument other than everyone has one, it had gone unchallenged and he had worked in the human world on his own. Steering clear of everyone, carrying out his assignments without question. But then things had changed with the outbreak of war among the humans, something that would later be referred to as world war one.

Adrian had more assignments than he knew what to do with at that point as he worked the fields of the humans who were at war, tuning out the screams of agony from the dying who relied on one such as he to finally severe the connection to their mortal body. Until finally, disgusted with what he was seeing he had called up a second scythe without even thinking about it, all so he could move quicker and more efficiently to send them on their way, while wishing at the same time that he could simply put an end to those who were behind the war in the first place.

Humans and even those creatures who served as familiars for the Shingami were being affected by the senseless slaughter, and bit by bit Adrian came to hate the humans with a passion. Even now as he tried to stay awake the bitterness resurfaced giving him a tiny moment of true awareness, enough to realize that the others were leaving his apartment. But that reprieve was brief and other than to realize that Astera was close by, in no time he was sound asleep.

Edited by Allamorph

shinigami dance
sound embargo concluded
resume playback_

Anxiety’s Moment

“Did you have to torment her like that?” Isen inquired tiredly as the pair flew back to the city and Nathan’s apartment.

“I think so,” he said. He thought for a moment, rolling lazily onto his back. “Yeah,” he finally replied, “yeah, I think I did.” He began to pedal his legs, as if propelling himself backwards through the air.

“Hmmph,” pronounced the familiar, floating forward to land on his chest. “I shouldn’t have bothered asking.”

“Well, it’s only because she spends all her time absolutely glued to the darn thing,” he retorted, grinning at his cat as she curled up and laid her head on her front paws. “Sure, it might be useful and all—it might be very useful....” He trailed off, contemplating.

Isen gave him an amused look out the corner of her eye. “Like you need any more advantages,” she needled.

Nathan shrugged. “It’d be nice to have handy, is all. Still, though, it’s like she can’t function without it. I had it for what, a minute and a half?—and already she’d started going through withdrawal. There’s ingenuity and usefulness,” he told the air, “and then there’s dependence.”

Isen purred. Her partner gave her a blank stare.

“What.”

“I like it when you’re disgruntled. You rumble when you talk.”

Nathan grunted and rolled his eyes.

They flew on in contented silence for a few moments, the blue shinigami staring up at the sparsely clouded sky, hands folded behind his head. Though he appeared relaxed and peaceful, his mind was once again churning.

A couple of things about the nameless count still bothered him. According to Victor, the target hadn’t been undead for more than a decade; yet in that time he had managed to quietly acquire and modify a sizable estate and gather and organize enough of a following to confidently move against the shinigami. From what the others had told him of their fight, he had also been a relatively formidable opponent, with surprising strength and agility and a rather thorough knowledge of some medium-tier magic. His tactics had also been above average, which Nathan partially appreciated. It seemed the man had been a driven individual.

Unfortunately, this was only possible through the aid of another, even given a powerfully ambitious nature. Someone else had to have been instructing him from the sidelines; even prodigies needed teachers initially. Victor? Nathan smirked at the thought; he wasn’t that paranoid. Besides, finance and support wasn’t Victor’s style. Victor was freelance, a mercenary almost. He employed himself as he saw fit, and any other moves he made were far more subtle that capturing and openly luring Reapers into a death trap.

No, it had to be another name, someone with a good deal of security. The Seras, perhaps? They hadn’t made any sincere advances in over a half a century, though; for them to start moving now was almost unthinkable. Nathan had begun to assume they were satisfied with the status quo.

Mulling over the possible sources was ultimately useless, Nathan decided. Perhaps Lucia would pick up something interesting in her search. Nathan grinned; he knew of at least one interesting thing she’d find.

–I forgot to clean up my mess....

“You’re sure?” he asked Isen, looking down hid body at her. She stirred sleepily.

“Hmm? Oh.” She lowered her head again. “Yes, I’m sure.”

Nathan sighed. “Not that knowing does me much good...,” he complained. He started, darting a glance to the ground. “Oh! We’re here.” He righted himself, Isen tumbling off with a startled miaow, and darted through the roof below him into his apartment, his familiar giving furious pursuit.

And he froze when he hit the floor.

“Well,” he commented drily, “speak of the devil.” Isen arched her back, spitting.

The intruder stood, his hand dramatically over his heart. “Oh! You injure me, Nassan!” he spoke affectedly, stepping forward. “Cannot old friends drop by for an idle, pleasant game?” Victor L’Envers gestured to the chessboard.

“But of course,” Nathan returned evenly. “Forgive me; we were not expecting company.”

Victor swept a magnanimous bow. “Tsink nostsing of it, my friend. It is just tsat you were tso kind to drop in on me, and I merely desired to return tse favor.”

“Naturally.” Nathan looked down at his agitated familiar. “Isen, please calm yourself. It appears we’ll be . . . entertaining, this afternoon.”

------------------

“I take it, tsen,” commented the blonde vampire, removing his hand from the board—along with Nathan’s rook, “tsat Tse Count wass little trouble for you?”

Nathan studied the board a moment. “Yes. He’s been taken care of.”

“By your able hand, I assume?”

“No, I was otherwise occupied at the time.”

“Truly?”

“Yes,” Nathan answered, moderately amused. “My teammates were quite capable.”

“But you were gone for tso long,” Victor pointed out with a smirk. He leaned back into his plush chair, resting his left arm carelessly along its back. “I tsought for tsertain you had—”

“Please, Victor.” Nathan raised an eyebrow.

Victor smiled. “Of course,” he assented. “I forget my own host.” He began to wave his hand about theatrically. “Nassan, tse Veteran of tse Great War! Hero of tse Shinigami!” He pronounced it ‘shin-ee-ga-mee’. “One of tse five Generals of Deass!!”

“Come now,” Nathan snorted. “Now you’re just being facetious.” He moved a knight up one tier and claimed an emerald bishop.

Victor frowned, apparently displeased with the move. “You tsink I jest, my friend?”

“I think our history recounts the events somewhat differently than does yours,” Nathan answered with a grin. He remained motionless, eye level to the middle board, as Victor leaned forward to contemplate his next move.

“Oh?” inquired the vampire. “And what do your lesson books say of you? What gaudy, vainglorious names have tsey bestowed upon you?”

“None, actually.”

The vampire cast him a sardonic glance.

“No, I made sure to disappear as much as was possible from the records,” he continued. “I don’t belong in history books until I’m dead.”

“So to speak, no?” quipped Victor.

Nathan grinned. “Well, yeah.”

There was a long pause while Victor debated, his fingers hovering indecisively over his pieces. He finally moved a pawn forward one rank, blocking the advance of Nathan’s other rook.

“In trutss,” he began again, “I have sometsing a little less lighthearted to speak of.”

“Oh, by all means, speak,” said Nathan, quickly making another move.

“I realisse tsat my men were most discourteous to you when last we met,” the vampire went on. “For tsat I apologize. I will do better at instructing tsem in tse future.

“However, my associates were not tse only ones who acted out of turn.”

“Mmm,” said Nathan. “Adrian?”

“Yes.”

“Well, he can be a bit impatient....”

“He assaulted my men witsout provocatsion!” Victor exclaimed, matching Nathan’s move with a loud, angry clink.

“We were weren’t exactly greeted with the best diplomacy ourselves, you know.”

“Tsey did not know who you were. Your companion acted after you had left my residence!”

“He didn’t know it was neutral ground.”

“And you did not tsink to tell him?”

Nathan didn’t look up. “I may have placed a little too much faith in his deductive capabilities.”

Victor gave the shinigami a hard look.

“Well,” he said dismissively, waving his hand, “it is no matter now. I have taken what measures I felt necessary.”

Now Nathan looked up. “What?” he asked flatly. Beside him, Isen bristled at the sudden spike in his spiritual aura.

Victor looked nonchalantly off into space. “I sent him a few surprises,” he remarked. “Notssing serious; just enough to startle him, so he will not make tse same mistake twice.”

“What?!” Nathan cried, leaping to his feet, chess pieces rattling.

Victor looked back sharply. “What? Why? Is sometsing tse matter, Nassan?” he inquired politely.

“You didn’t.” The Reaper’s voice was dead.

“Nassan?” probed the vampire. “You’re not making sense....”

Nathan snatched his hat and blazer from the rack in the corner, catching up his scythe and sheathing it. “Isen,” he spoke tersely. He made to leave, paused, turned back, and moved one sapphire piece forward on the highest tier.

“Checkmate,” he declared absently, and immediately took flight, the Russian Blue close at his heels.

Victor stared at the board for several more minutes before finally shaking his head in disbelief.

"Sheckmate, six moves; yes," he muttered. “How does he do tsat?”

Edited by Allamorph

Beginnings

"You really should get yourself a familiar Adrian," a well-known voice chided him once he finished up with the last of the humans in that particular battle field. With an inward sigh he let go of his twin scythes, allowing them to fall to their resting place.

"And you need to shut up and mind your own business." He turned his back on the other Shinigami, not even certain why he insisted on trying to be friendly with him. A moment later he heard him sigh and then felt his presence fade as he and his own familiar left to head for their next assignment.

Adrian just looked around, noticing for perhaps the first time how many dead were scattered in the area, enough that it had required nearly half a dozen Shinigami to tackle the same spot. Enough that even their blinding speed and him with his dual scythes, they still struggled to keep up with the carnage. He was starting to leave when the sound of something complaining caught his attention, without even thinking about it he started moving towards the disturbance, wondering what was still alive since it didn't feel like a human.

"Damn stupid humans!" The shrill voice finally started making sense as Adrian got closer to what seemed to be a moving corpse. What in the world?

"Ugh! Why the hell do you have to be so damn heavy?! And stupid enough to land on me when you died!" A series of curses rang out as whatever was pinned by the body vented it?s rage. "Better yet, why were you all killing each other in the first place!?!"

A moment later and Adrian could finally see what the commotion was, partially trapped under one of the fallen humans was a tiny fairy who was struggling with all her might to shove the human off of her. Making Adrian wonder why she didn't simply ghost her way free, that is until he realized that she probably was not someone's familiar. Fairies did have defensive magic, but the ability to move between things was something that was granted upon becoming a familiar to a Shingami.

"Hey!" The fairy fixed him with a glare upon realizing he was there. "What are you staring at! Get me out of this!" She demanded and then continued when Adrian didn?t answer her immediately. "What are you waiting for? It's your fault I'm here Shinigami! I was trying to get free of this mess and had to dodge you and those twin scythes of yours. If I hadn't needed to do that I wouldn't have been hit when you released his soul!"

Adrian just arched an eyebrow. "My fault? Why were you even here in the first place?"

"I live here dummy!" She shouted as if he were thickheaded. "I was trying to recover what little was left of my home before the humans utterly destroyed it! It's not that easy to find the right kind of silk to sleep on!"

She came here to recover something as trivial as a blanket? Adrian shook his head. "You're an idiot, risking your life over something as foolish as material possessions."

"And you're the stupidest Shinigami I've ever met! Everyone knows that fairies need–"

Adrian raised a hand for silence, "Just shut up already and I'll get you free." He didn't wait for her to reply to that, bending over and easily hefting the body over, careful to avoid smashing her further. Without even thinking he accidentally brushed against her blue hair with his left hand and then nearly dropped the body back on top of her when a shock ran through his body. He barely had time to realize that she had somehow tapped into his spiritual energy before he tried to cut the line without success.

"Hey!" She shrieked in anger. "I never said I'd become your familiar if you helped me!" She fluttered up until she was facing him directly. "And I most certainly did NOT agree to bond with you!"

"Me?" Adrian said incredulously. "You're the one tapping into my spiritual energy without permission. I suggest you stop that before I have to do it for you. If you're hurt I would have let you have some if you had asked." Though how he was going to stop it he didn't know. He had already tried to severe the connection and failed. If it was anyone other than a fairy he would have been alarmed. How is she doing that?

"I'm not hurt you blockhead!" She yelled at him, getting more and more agitated. "Now sever the bond at once! Before it's too late!"

What is she talking about? Adrian sighed when it became apparent that he couldn't cut the connection. It was unlike anything he had ever felt and resisted his attempts to stifle it. He got up to leave, thinking that perhaps returning to the world of the Shinigami would do the trick, only to halt when she flew forward and grabbed a bit of his hair and glared and him ferociously.

"Don't you dare do that! You fool! If you go back to your own world and attempt to leave me behind, you'll kill both of us!" She let go and folded her arms across her tiny chest. "Didn't those dimwitted masters of yours teach you about the dangers of bonding? Even if you're capable, it's still dangerous! Especially...," she unfolded her arm, holding them down as her tiny hands clutched into fists.

"...especially when the bond is strong." She finished before she unclenched her fists and sighed, "Would you please knock it off? I don't want to be a familiar!" She glared at him again. "I'm a free spirit who does as she pleases! I don't answer to anyone! So cut the damn bond already!"

"Why don't you just do it yourself then"? He suggested, coming forth in an unusual bout of frankness. [B"]I've already tried to cut it twice without any luck."

"What?!"? She looked at him as if trying to determine if he was lying or not and then suddenly dropped to the ground, looking depressed as she sat there. "Lovely," she said as she put her hands up to her temples as if she had a headache. "Not only did the stupidest Shingami I've ever met nearly kill me when he was running about with two scythes like a complete moron..."

She groaned and flopped over onto her side. "Now I'm stuck with being bonded to the nitwit." She waved her right hand in his direction as if shooing him. "Go ahead, try to leave and kill us both, it's not like I want to be bonded to a complete and total dork anyway." She started muttering to herself, "It would have been better if I had been crushed. Why me?"

"What are you talking about you little twit!?" Adrian snapped, starting to get angry, after all, he hadn?t done anything that he knew of that would result in a bond and his attempts to sever it were still unsuccessful.

"The name is Astera you half-witted moronic fool." She looked at him and then got up and flew over until she was hovering a few inches away from his face. "Fairies don't bond with Shingami, it's the other way around! The only one who can break the bond is you!"

---------------------------------------------------------

[B"]I'm afraid the fairy is right Adrian. The only one who can break the bond is you." It was his mentor Gavrie, who to Adrian's irritation was looking amused over the story he had just told him. Sitting there on what appeared to be a fence in a field, favoring both Adrian and Astera with a grin that was barely holding in his laughter.

"Well? How do I do it then?" Adrian snapped when Gavrie didn't elaborate. "I didn't bring her to our world for fun!"

"What are you waiting for?" Astera started giving Gavrie an earful as well. "Tell this dimwit how to sever the bond already!"

Gavrie folded his arms across his chest and broke out in laughter, ignoring both Adrian?s and Astera?s reproachful looks until he finally got it under control. "It's not that simple." He finally explained.

"You see, there are two types of bonds that can be formed. A standard bond is formed using a special technique."? Gavrie's expression became more serious the longer he talked. "It's something you have to be taught how to do. However, since so few are even capable of forming a bond and the benefits aren't worth the danger; it's something we don't teach anymore."

Gavrie shifted until his own legs were crossed and his hands resting on the short wooden fence he was sitting on. "Now what we have here between the two of you is another type of bond, and this is where it gets tricky, because this only happens when both parties have a strong affinity for it. Plus both of them must be compatible or rather they must suit one another. There's no way to teach it, this kind of bond, it either happens or it doesn't. We don't fully understand it since it seems a simple touch is all it takes for the bond to form."

"Would you get to the point already!" Adrian snarled when Gavrie paused again.

"The point," Gavrie said as he folded his arms across his chest again, "is that you can"t break that type of bond. It's called a life bond because the only way you break it is when one of you dies."

"What?" Astera screeched in protest.

Gavrie held his hand up, "There's no point in getting angry Astera. Adrian can't break it and it's your fault just as much as it is his." He smirked a bit. "The two of you are just going to have to get use to one another." He stood up, letting his hands fall to his side.

"Take a week off to sort things out. Come back and we'll talk then."

---------------------------------------------------------

With a start Adrian sort of woke up, feeling like something was off, but other than a vague impression that someone was close to his apartment, he couldn't sense anything else. Astera was curled up on one of her own silk blankets, clearly more tired than she had been letting onto earlier since she was fast asleep. Channeling was draining on her as well, not so much physically, but rather mentally in the sense that it required a lot of energy for her to do so. It didn't stop her from sensing that he had woken up and she too started to stir.

Adrian turned his head towards the dual glass doors that opened out to the balcony attached to his bedroom. It was the one human luxury that he liked. A large airy bedroom since he hated sleeping in an enclosed area. The thought was crossing his mind that he must have forgotten to tell Astera to open the curtains when he realized that there was something outside when he caught a hint of movement. How did someone get onto the balcony?

Edited by Allamorph

"You really need to lighten up Lucia," Ruby chastised her as she methodically began to make a sweep of the mansion. "I mean, come on! Like it mattered that he had your Crystal Communicator for a few minutes."

Lucia ignored Ruby in favor of initiating the scans, her movements betraying her irritation over Ruby bringing the matter up again. And when Ruby started to speak again, she cut her off, a real hint of anger coming forth in her voice.

"Don't start Ruby, just don't. I know you mean well, but seriously, I do not want to be a Shinigami!" She snarled a bit. "And yet I was given no choice, to either accept or to lose everything that I've worked for. You know how it is. Refusal comes with a price."

Ruby hung her head a bit, of course she knew, though for her it was not the same. She was not required to accept if asked to be someone's familiar, but with so few of her kind remaining, she had chosen to accept it, to help guarantee the survival of her race. And even if Lucia was prone to brooding, it didn't change the fact that she liked working with her.

"I'm sorry, it's just that I hate how that still makes you unhappy, even though you still have your work. Shinigami are eternal...."

Lucia sighed. "I know, but still, I would rather hand it over to someone like Nathan. Let someone like him get the data in the field while I stick to what I know best." She smiled a little sadly, "I'm a scientist Ruby, my talent lies in research and writing the programs as well as perfecting the technology of the Crystal Communicator. I feel like my talents are being wasted here." She finished with a sigh.

She ignored the bodies of the dead vampire girls strewn about in the mansion as her and Ruby continued the sweep. Even if it would have been better to scan things immediately, it was still picking up a lot of information that would be useful. In her line of reasoning, just about all data was useful. Ruby is right, I need to let it go. And yet she could not, she had spent so much time developing the technology in the first place. More time than she had spent being a Shinigami, a lot more.

"I'm sorry Lucia," Ruby finally said as they finished the main sweep and then moved to where the encounter with the Count had been. Or rather took the route to it, entering the chamber where their fight with the summoned creatures had occurred. Both of them came to a halt at the entrance to the large room, their eyes widening in surprise before they took to the air, avoiding the ground as Lucia started to scan the room.

"What in the world happened here?" Ruby finally managed. "It's ... it's ...." She fell silent as even she was at a loss for words to describe what she was looking at.

"I have no idea, I mean...." Lucia grimaced a bit at the sight of the fallen vampires in the room. The first one was rather simple, the damage to his chest indicating that a small weapon had been used to tear him up inside. Probably to get to the little sac Nathan had shown them earlier, the one that encased their souls. But the other?

"If I was a human," Ruby swallowed. "I'd be puking all over the place right now. What the hell did he do to ... it."

Lucia just shook her head, after all, never in her entire time as a Shinigami had she seen something so horrible. She couldn't even tell if it was a woman or a man. The person in question was literally cut into ribbons–literally. And the blood splatters from what had been done? It only added to the mystery instead of solving it. Humans had a name for blood splatters and analyzing them to help determine the cause of death or the potential nature of the weapon involved. But this?

"This makes no sense!" Lucia exclaimed as some of the data for the blood splatters came back immediately. "How is this even possible! How could he move that fast!"

"What do you mean Lucia?" Ruby asked her, curious as to just how fast she was actually referring to.

"There are different types of blood splatters Ruby, low, medium and high velocity impact. It usually helps to indicate what type of weapon was involved. The pattern, location and nature of the splatter can also help to determine how they died, standing, lying down, et cetera." She took a deep breath. "If this data is accurate ... the speed at which this happened was unreal, even for a Shinigami."

Lucia shook her head again. "I'm going to have to run the data again, this just can't be accurate." She opened up a separate file and ran the scan again, careful to avoid dropping to the floor, even though death was her business, the idea of actually touching any of the ribbons of flesh made her want to cringe a bit.

"Are you done yet Lucia?" Ruby whined a bit. "I'm ready to go and finish up with the Count's personal chamber." She purposely left out the bit on how even she was uneasy by what they had found.

Lucia turned and looked at Ruby and nodded, "Yes we can go now."

It was easy to do now that the Count was gone and both of them simply ghosted through the wall and into the final room, where they had finally put an end to the Count. Lucia certainly didn't have a problem leaving the mess behind. I wonder if I should use the purifying flames to clean that up? She dismissed the thought as she moved to do the final scans, eager to be finished and out of that place. Later, once she had reviewed the data a bit more, she would hunt Nathan down and see if she couldn't get him to answer some questions for her.

Edited by Allamorph

The more he thought about it, the more Alex didn't like it. He had rested for a bit after returning to where he had a spot in one of the buildings close to the city center. He didn't use it a lot since he usually spent his spare time hanging out at some of the human shops instead. But today when he woke up later after giving his spiritual energy time to heal the wounds he had gotten at the hands of the Count, he found that he had no desire to do what he usually did. Instead he was lying down on the sofa, lost in thought while Nall took advantage of the situation to curl up on his chest and sleep, much like a cat.

"Why didn't they tell us Nall?" He said absentmindedly, not really expecting an answer since Nall was asleep, or rather he thought he was until Nall raised his head and looked at Alex.

"Tell us what?"

"About the Vampires! What else?" Alex sighed as he moved his arms, putting his hands under his head as he looked up into the sky through the skylights in his place.

"Why weren't we informed when we were first paired together? It makes no sense to give us basic training and then toss us into a situation where other than perhaps Nathan, none of us have a clue what?s going on." He sighed a bit.

"Surely they had to know that someone like the Count was capable of killing us. So why would they send us in without bothering to take the time to let us know what was going on?"

Nall stretched a bit, until he was more sprawled out. "I don't know, even though I'm a dragon, I haven't been around as long as the others have. Most of our kind are gone and only a few of us remain, co-inhabiting the world of the Shinigami. By dragon terms, I'm not even considered mature."

"Then how do you know so much?"

Some of that comes from being what I am. Just as you can sense when it's time for someone to die, I can sense other things, even if they aren't completely clear. Just like I knew when I first saw you that we would make excellent partners."

Alex laughed at the thought, it was one of his more pleasant memories after all. Familiars were chosen based on suitability and often it was a matter of new Shingami taking the time to meet those like Nall who had been offered the chance to serve as one's familiar and were willing to accept it, provided they met someone they felt would be a good partner for them.

It was a little awkward really to meet those who were willing to serve as familiars, wondering which, if any of them, would end up working with you. He had been so curious and eager to give it a try, being a Shinigami that is. In truth he had been worried that none of them would even like him since he was a bit odd. Alex had certainly been twitted over his fascination with the humans a lot.

But in the end his concern had been unnecessary, when Nall had swooped over and outright landed on his left shoulder, declaring that he would do, it had just felt right. No fuss, nothing off, just as if he was meeting up with someone he had always been friends with. The following period of training before they were finally sent to the human world had gone just as smoothly. It had felt as if things had always been that way.

"If only I was capable of sensing things about the Vampires without the need for someone to tell me what the hell is going on."

Nall snorted, "Just ask Nathan when we finally go to see him. If he won't tell you, then we can always head back and talk to your original mentor." Nall curled back up on Alex's chest. "For now though you should get some more sleep, even though you're better, you still could use some rest."

Alex sighed a bit. "I know." He closed his eyes and tried to put it out of mind so he could actually get some more rest. It was hard though, his questions and concerns kept running though his mind, making it next to impossible to fall asleep.

Edited by Allamorph

Now It Moves

Sighing in irritation, Adrian eased himself out of bed made his way gingerly to the double doors. He cursed the lousy timing; of all the things to have to deal with after almost thoroughly exhausting himself and his familiar in a ridiculous battle for which he and his allies had been poorly prepared, it had to be some annoying human who’d managed to clamber up onto his balcony. He worried for an instant that it might be a burglar, but quickly threw off the thought. If that proved to be the case, he still felt capable of hiding his and Astera’s presence from the intruder. Otherwise he’d simply have to scare off the pesky trespasser.

He threw open the curtains and found ... no one. Confused, he stared out through the glass doors for a brief moment. He could have sworn that he’d seen someone’s shadow just outside the glass not a moment before. Not only that, but he could sense an unfamiliar presence as well, though he couldn’t seem to focus in on what it was. They were definitely close—he knew that much—and he was starting to dislike the way things felt. He needed to wake Astera and get her out of possible danger.

Turning around, Adrian pulled up short in shock.

“Hullo, mate.”

---------------------------

The blue shinigami came to a sharp halt in the skies above the city. His eyes scanned the landscape below in quick, harried flits, giving away his inner turmoil. Isen watched from beside him for a moment before speaking up.

“What’s the matter, Nathan?”

Nathan grimaced. “Victor’s got men all over the city. I can’t sense which way to go.”

“What about Adrian’s home?” she asked. “He should have gone there to recuperate, right?”

The shinigami hesitated, searching the ground one more time. “I — don’t know where he lives,” he said finally. “I can’t — I can’t remember....”

Isen nodded. “This way,” she said, streaking off to the left in a grey blur. Nathan followed hot on her heels.

---------------------------

The brown-haired intruder grinned at Adrian from the other side of the bed, exposing his prominent fangs. Adrian started.

–A vampire!

The man stood directly over the groggy Astera; in his hands he held a small brown burlap sack, big enough to carry a small animal ... or a fairy. The shinigami glowered at him.

“Back away from her, right now,” he warned through his teeth.

The vampire put on an affected face. “Oh, come on now, mate,” he said. “I won’t be ‘urtin’ ‘er, now.” He grinned again and reached down to pick her up. “Just want ‘er to keep havin’ that nice little nap....”

Adrian lunged at the man; a crash behind him made him turn, and he saw another vampire charging through his shattered glass doors, leaping straight at him. He called for his scythe to cut the vampire down.

A wave of nausea drove him to the floor, and his vision swam. He felt himself tossed harshly into the wall, and before he could recover, his hands were twisted and pinned behind his back, forcing him to drop the only scythe he’d managed to summon. He was yanked roughly to his knees, and his hair was jerked down harshly, forcing his head up and back, his face twisting in pain.

“Don’t worry ‘bout your little girlie friend now, mate,” the man was saying. “She’ll be just fine.” Adrian’s vision began to clear; he saw the man secure the now full bag’s opening and lay gently it on the foot of the bed. “There’s plenty o’ air holes for ‘er, and we put a little somethin’ in to keep ‘er nice an’ quiet-like.

“ ’Sides,” he said, casually approaching his captive, “t’ain’t her we’re interested in.” Adrian only felt two pairs of hands restraining him, but he was so sick he couldn’t struggle. As the man crouched down in front of the shinigami, Adrian’s breathing began to race.

“See, now, mister L’Envers....” he spoke it ‘len-vair’ “....‘e don’t like to be insulted. So when some upstart no-name comes around stirrin’ things up, ‘e don’t take too kindly to it ... now does he, boys?” The man looked up with these last words; one of Adrian’s captors spoke a smug word of agreement.

“You can understand, I ‘ope,” the man continued, rising, “that when mister L’Envers ‘eard you’d gone and attacked some o’ ‘is men, ‘e wasn’t too ‘appy about it.”

Adrian was in a panic. –I’m going to die, he thought frantically. –I can’t do anything. I’m going to die. They’re going to kill me, and Astera will die with me. Why didn’t I train for this; why was Nathan the only one prepared? His body began to shake with terror. –Damn it, Nathan, why didn’t you tell me?

“So then, after a bit o’ thought, mister L’Envers decided on sending us out ‘ere; kinda like ‘is personal messengers o’ sorts. And that’s what we’re here for.

“Right, then,” he said to his associates, drawing on a large set of brass knuckles. “You—close the curtains.” The pressure on Adrian’s hair relaxed, and his head lolled forward, the shinigami giving an involuntary grunt of relief.

The man walked in front of him again, and the outside light was abruptly cut off. When he stood by Adrian’s left side, he paused. “And here’s the message we’re supposed to be tellin’ you.”

The words never left his mouth. No sooner had he ended the sentence than a small object came whistling through the opposite wall and embedded itself in the man’s wrist, pinning his arm to the wall; the man yelped in surprise and pain. A blue blur shot out of the wall a split second later, plowing through and leveling the unfortunate vampire returning from curtain duty.

The third thug released Adrian and rolled to the center of the floor, searching for his new foe. It didn’t matter; the blur shot out from another side and rammed the man, crashing him into the far wall. Dazed, he fell to one knee.

The blur regained its definition, becoming an incensed Nathan. Adrian panted, his mind reeling. He made for the bag holding Astera, but the first vampire had jerked Nathan’s scythe free of his arm, and Adrian was shoved out of the way and fell sprawling in front of the bed.

“Come on!” Nathan shouted as the vampire charged him. He sidestepped a swipe from his own scythe and darted forward, delivering two sharp blows to the man’s ribcage and face and slashing at the neck with the side of his hand. The vampire staggered backward, clutching his throat; the scythe clattered to the floor.

Finally recovered, the curtain man hurled himself at the veteran, wielding a small, black-bladed knife. Nathan stepped to him smoothly, grabbing his knife-wrist, and drove his left palm into the man’s elbow, shattering the bone backwards. The man howled in pain, and Nathan thrust him to the left. Sliding dexterously past his enemy, he jumped, kicked off the wall with his left foot, and spun, slamming his right foot into the man’s head, turning as he landed to scoop up the man’s weapon which he launched across the room, impaling the shoulder of vampire number three.

In the same motion, he flicked out his left arm and landed a solid punch to the jaw of the first vampire; he grabbed the wrist as the man stumbled back and spun again, wrenching the man towards him. Off-balance, the vampire leaned forwards, and Nathan leg lashed out and closed over the man’s neck. He jerked down, and the man flipped head over heels onto his back while Nathan turned, pinning the vampire’s neck under his right knee. His arms shot out towards the other two, fingers extended, blue fire dancing on their tips. He froze.

“Move and die.”

Edited by Allamorph

Lucia finished up at the mansion, heading outside along with Ruby once she was done, heading to the top of the roof and taking a seat facing the sea, though the view was the very last thing on her mind. She was too busy deciding on her next course of action since it was clear she needed something a bit better - okay - a lot better. She needed to go back to the sanctuary that she had built, the one that on some level she had been required to quit developing. Or rather compared to the time she use to spend on it and everything else, now it was so minuscule, it may as well have been abandoned.

The only good thing was that she had that in place before she had been called, the time and work involved in setting it up just wasn't feasible for one who was actively working as a Shinigami, it required too much attention and time when being set up for the first time. But now, other than an occasional visit to ensure that the barriers were firmly in place, it didn't need her attention to maintain its existence.

"What do you want to do now Lucia?" It was Ruby, her ears flattened a bit as she avoided looking at Lucia directly.

"I need to return to the lab, the program I have now isn't quite up to the task and I need the information there in order to build a new one." She avoided Ruby's gaze as well, since she knew how she felt about her returning to that place.

It always reminded her so painfully of what she had been forced to give up and visiting the place always put Lucia in a bad mood. But she needed to go, or rather she wanted to go, she still refused to give up all that she had worked on, even if she was limited to only snatching a bit of research here and there.

Ruby sighed, "I was afraid of that." She batted Lucia's left cheek with her paw. "You're going to be moody as hell if you go. You know how I hate that."

"I know Ruby, I'm sorry." She really was, on some level and yet at the same time after what had happened....

"It's okay, I understand. We nearly died in there and understanding what happened is important, we need that knowledge." She shifted nervously on Lucia's shoulder before taking off to hover in front of her. "Did you want me to open the barrier?" It was easy for her to sense that Lucia was still tired from the fight and getting hurt earlier.

"Thank you Ruby." Lucia said with a smile and then she focused on following Ruby's lead.

Getting to her sanctuary wasn't as simple as ghosting through a wall or traveling to the world of the Shinigami, or rather their plane of existence. No, it was located in that fold between dimensions, the void as it was often referred to. It was something that Lucia had discovered early on when she first started looking into the technology behind the communicator. She had been looking for an efficient way to power it and the experiments had lead to realizing that instead of being smooth like page one and two, where each side did not truly touch one another, it was instead uneven and small pockets existed where one could visit, in a sense.

This was before she had effectively figured out how to use one's own spiritual energy to power the device. At the time she had been looking for a way for one to receive power from their world while they were in the human one, and thus a need to build a bridge between the dimensions. But that had proven to be impractical for so many reasons. She had abandoned that line of reasoning fairly quickly.

Even Shinigami were not meant to live in the spot between the different dimensions, but she had realized that the space had a different effect on what she was doing. She could experiment with different uses of spiritual energy and a mishap was simply absorbed into the void, making it a safe place to test out things, even if she rarely needed such safety. In the end she had fashioned a room, shaped like a Hexagon, from the same material the Crystal Communicator was made from and slowly built a lab in one of the spots.

Part of what made her so angry at times, was that her appointment as a Shinigami came shortly after the Council learned of the work she was doing, making her wonder if it had been solely to put an end to her work. It had been a hard argument to come to the agreement that she would serve, only if her work was not destroyed. Though she was effectively limited on how much time she could spend there, they saw to that by constantly keeping her busy.

Lucia put it out of mind as she felt the stirrings of Ruby's power and then tensed a bit as she always did as the sensation of being in freezing liquid glass rolled over her, making her want to gasp for air even though nothing was wrong. A sudden jerk as she was pulled from the normal destination of such a trip and into the tiny lab that was hers, and then it was over. To her relief, though why she worried about it she didn't know, everything was just as she had left it the last time.

All the shelves, tables and even the living accommodations were still neatly in place, the lines of power that would have told her if something was off still in place, unbroken as they should be. She moved quickly to find the other communicator she had with the program she needed, or rather the information she needed, determined to head back to the human world as quickly as possible.

Ruby is right, I need to let it go, or rather quit brooding over it so much and focus on what I can do. And as her hand closed on the second communicator, she knew just what that was, figuring out just what had happened at the mansion. The Council had to have known that they were in over their heads when they sent them there, unless they had been depending on Nathan to keep them intact. Regardless, she wasn't going to accept another assignment like that without knowing a bit more.

"All right Ruby, take us back." She said, even though she would have rather stayed there to modify the program for the scans.

"Are you sure? I don't mind if you stay a bit."

Lucia smiled a bit, "Yes I'm sure, if I stay...." She shook her head. "You don't want me to get moody do you?" Ruby just batted her with her paw again before drawing on her power to open the barrier and take them back.

Edited by Allamorph