OtakuBoards

A Change If You Will

Japan

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Ok, this place sucks, it is boring and there is not enough activity compared to a few years ago. How can we change that? Perhaps less strict on the rules? Yeah, I know grammar is important and all but can we do something to liven this place up? It is depressing.[/COLOR]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#606060]What you can do is quit the whining for one, lol.

Seriously though, do you realize how depressing it sounds? It's that kind of stuff which makes OB lame, not the rules or anything else.

The rules have been scaled back quite a lot - if you go and read the rules page you'll see that. Right now they're pretty general I'd say. And they're definitely pretty relaxed.

The best way you can make OB interesting for yourself is participation. Instead of relying on others to entertain you, it would be better to think about how you can present your own ideas - for instance, the creation of an RPG...suggesting a competition, or something along those lines.

Alternatively you can always make suggestions about any new features you'd like to see, etc.

So yeah. If OB is depressing you, there are really only two alternatives. Either a) do your best to entertain yourself and join in with others or b) don't visit.

I guarantee that the rules make little difference these days. They have been pulled back about as far as they'll go.

If we lighten the rules even further, what then? Do you really think that will make any difference to activity? It won't.

Ultimately the members make the forum. If they are all sitting on the sidelines complaining, then nothing is going to happen. But if they all jump in and make their own fun, things start to get interesting.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but seriously, it's time to stop complaining and do something about it.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I am not whining. Just stating. If a lot of old members come by but they leave a second they come, perhaps there is something wrong? I do participate. However, it seems that the anime lounge has nothing really going for it. I remember when I first joined that I posted in there every time I visited but not any more. Some anime people never even heard of that are being so eagerly talked about. Also, perhaps some people feel inferior to those who seem to have this vast knowledge of every anime ever created so they feel like they shouldn't post?

Also, the role playing. I remember back then that there were some interesting ones but now there are ones that aren't. More than half seem like they are ten pages long. Sure, a good back story is a must but we are here to have fun, not get all serious.

The art forum doesn't seem to have much participation and Otakuboards are just repeats of old threads for the most part. [/COLOR]

[color=#606060]A lot of old members leave as soon as they come? No. People just naturally move on after several years.

Many forums have a pretty high turnover of members, you know. I'm surprised that some have been here as long as they have. This has nothing to do with whether the site is "good or bad", it has more to do with the fact that people do naturally get tired of the same thing after a while.

The thing is, there is nothing I can do to artifically change this. I do not - and would not - control what people choose to discuss.

If the same topics come up repeatedly (as some do), there is nothing I can really do to change that. And why should I? You may have seen one topic come up a million times, but what about the member who joined yesterday or a week ago? They have the right to discuss that topic too.

People seem to have this false sense that myself or any other staff can magically control what happens here. We can't. The site is entirely member-driven. That is why I tell people to try new things and experiment - and many have and the results have been great. There are a ton of interesting things happening most times, including some old favourites.

If you're concerned about RPG length, well...that's fine. But why are longer RPGs automatically "bad"? That's just your opinion. If you prefer a shorter/quicker RPG setup, then make one yourself.

Seriously, people have to put aside the hollow complaints and actually go out there and make something that they like. Other people are joining these RPGs and enjoying them.

So yeah. I just get really tired of treading the same ground over and over again. If what I'm saying isn't obvious or clear, or if it doesn't make sense, then I'm not sure how many ways I can present it.

Edit: And while I'm here, kudos to members like Shy, Charles, Retri, SunfallE, Aaryanna_Mom and several otehrs for demonstrating [i]exactly[/i] what I'm talking about in this post. Otaku Newspaper, FQFG2, art competitions...these things bring life to the boards and are great fun to watch and participate in. More of this stuff is what generates member interest. :catgirl:[/color]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Sorry that I am not creative. For an example, I could not find a kare kano thread in the manga workshop and then my thread gets placed in an existing kare kano thread. Sure, but then why is it the entire thread gone from when you look at the sub forum now? There are barely any posts in it the sub forum so I do not see how it can be bumped off.[/COLOR]

[color=#606060]You don't have to apologize for any lack of creativity - that's not the point. The point is, it's very easy to point out what you dislike about the place. It's harder to make an effort to enjoy yourself.

My overriding point is that there is very little anyone in the staff can do to radically change the site. We can change rules or develop new skins or adjust forums forever and ever...and it will all still come back to what the members do with their time here.

Anyway, in terms of the specific point you're referring to...I honestly don't know, because I didn't merge the threads myself.

I am guessing that if your thread was merged with an older thread, it's possible that the older thread keeps its place in the forum (someone can probably correct me on this).

I always felt that the old thread should be merged into the new one, so that the listing stays fresh.

But again I could be misinterpreting what happened. Maybe Desbreko or a Moderator is in a better position to answer your question.[/color]

[quote name='Japan_86'][COLOR="DarkRed"]However, it seems that the anime lounge has nothing really going for it. I remember when I first joined that I posted in there every time I visited but not any more. Some anime people never even heard of that are being so eagerly talked about. Also, perhaps some people feel inferior to those who seem to have this vast knowledge of every anime ever created so they feel like they shouldn't post?[/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]This is a bad thing? I've discovered some really great shows by browsing through AL, seeing people talking about an anime I'd never heard of, and deciding to check it out. Personally, I'd be really dismayed if AL only had discussions about well-known anime.[/color]

[quote name='Japan_86'][COLOR="DarkRed"]Sorry that I am not creative. For an example, I could not find a kare kano thread in the manga workshop and then my thread gets placed in an existing kare kano thread. Sure, but then why is it the entire thread gone from when you look at the sub forum now? There are barely any posts in it the sub forum so I do not see how it can be bumped off.[/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Scroll down to the bottom of the forum to the Display Options panel and select "Beginning" in the "From The" drop-down menu, then click the Show Threads button. The Kare Kano thread is still on the first page, 10th from the bottom, but if you have it set to only show threads with activity in the last month (as is the default setting) then you wouldn't be able to see it.

The merged thread always takes the place of the newer of the two being merged, by the way, since threads are listed by the time of their last post. I always recommend merging the new into the old to preserve the correct link in the thread directory though.[/color]

[color=#606060]Thanks for the tip about the thread merge, Des. Good stuff.

Perhaps we can change the default thread age view? Maybe that way it will be harder to lose threads. I'm not sure what setting would be best though.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]That can be changed, yeah. I'd recommend setting the default to show all threads since each page still only displays thirty threads each. The only reason I can think of to set it otherwise is to help prevent really old threads being brought back, but that's never been much of a problem. And it can be fun to look back through the site's history.[/color]

Here's one possible problem with the absence of new members. Most of us know each other, either that or there are too many inside jokes. Most of us snipe at 2007digitalboy every chance we get, because it's either an inside joke or we get bored. Heck, he goes on himself sometimes (Heck again, I just put the guy up for auction.) Think about it, though. You just join a board. If YOU go after the scapegoat, it'll look like you either join a crowd really easily or don't get the joke and genuinely dislike the person. That's why every board has lurkers. (Yes I know y'all are out there. Post something! The water's great!) I'm just saying it's a little akward sometimes. My 2 cents, ya know.

[COLOR=green]I agree about the inside joke thing. It was funny at first, but now they are extremely immature, like those kindergartners who think they are special because only they know where a useless rock is.

I'm not referring to any ones in particular, just generally.[/COLOR]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=green']...like those kindergartners who think they are special because only they know where a useless rock is.[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I sense some past resentment buried in that thought. Were you mad that they didn't tell you where it was? ;)

It's also possible that no one new is coming because no one knows we're here. Besides myO, where all is OB advertised?[/FONT]

Goodness, inside jokes are immature? Nonsense. As people become familiar with one another here, it's next to impossible to avoid such things. It certainly isn't meant to exclude members or make them feel left out. If anything its a sign of how well people get to know each other on the boards here. An indication of just how friendly members really are.

It takes effort to put your opinions out there, to become a part of the discussions going on. So it seems rather silly to pick apart those who have taken the time to get to know each other well enough to joke around.

As Aceburner, said.. Post! Everyone feels a little awkward at first. But once you get involved, it's lots of fun. Much more than finding reasons as to why it's not. Honestly, like I tell my own kids. On some level, you can't expect others to entertain you. You have to be willing to put in effort too! :catgirl:

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Goodness, inside jokes are immature? Nonsense. As people become familiar with one another here, it's next to impossible to avoid such things. It certainly isn't meant to exclude members or make them feel left out. If anything its a sign of how well people get to know each other on the boards here. An indication of just how friendly members really are.

It takes effort to put your opinions out there, to become a part of the discussions going on. So it seems rather silly to pick apart those who have taken the time to get to know each other well enough to joke around.

As Aceburner, said.. Post! Everyone feels a little awkward at first. But once you get involved, it's lots of fun. Much more than finding reasons as to why it's not. Honestly, like I tell my own kids. On some level, you can't expect others to entertain you. You have to be willing to put in effort too! :catgirl:[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]The Words of A MAD-WOMAN?[/SIZE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]No, no of course not. I should always listen to my elders. :P Usually, it's pretty easy to become friends with other members around here, all you have to do is send a PM or something... So, nobody should be feeling left out... People need to give it time, and warm up to the other members..

What can I say? Make new friends, make new inside jokes, make new threads...

It's pretty simple. The OB isn't dead yet. All we have to do, is, like you said, put forth effort.

And trust me, I'll erase all awkardness for you guys, by being as awkward as possible.. That's usually just me. Soon enough, you'll become immune to the... "A-word." It's a master plan. Heck yes, it will work.

Maybe.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Charles']I have no shame.

I will consider donating for advertisement if we can get new (better) members who will actually play with me though. Even if I have to sell Japan_86 on the streets to do it![/QUOTE]

You don't have to sell J86 on the streets. We have an Ebay thread for that!

But seriously, we really don't fall into a specific niche here. We're just a place where people come to talk about anything and nothing all at once. The Otaku moniker kind of throws people off due to the fact that there's one little, lonely forum where you can discuss Anime and Manga. We're about community more than otaku now. To sum it up: We just talk here.

[COLOR=green]I'm not saying there is anything wrong with inside jokes, but you can only say p###s so many times before it stops being funny. To me, it looks like these inside jokes are equivalent to a kid just sitting there with a potty mouth 24/7. Space it out, give a better delivery, or something. And if you think you've tried to do that, then you've failed so far.

Inside jokes are funny. Just not the ones OB has.

There, I hope that analogy makes things clearer. Geez people! =P[/COLOR]

EDIT: Interesting...

See? Is that Gavin inside joke funny? No, because the timing and delivery sucked. This is only marginally worse than the inside jokes at OB - at least the ones I've seen.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]You're trying [I]so hard[/I], man. I'm really sorry we're all such sticks-in-the-mud. :animesmil

But seriously: what kind of publicity do we have?[/FONT][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Well, I do my part and link to OB on my [url=http://www.youtube.com/Desbreko][u]YouTube channel[/u][/url] and most other places I sign up where there's a field for "website." . . . Okay, yeah, no shame here either. But this [i]is[/i] something James is looking into for OB Evolution; getting some advertising out there for OB, to attract more members.

And I still laugh when someone says [strike]penis[/strike] Master Sword. IS THAT SO WRONG?! :animecry:[/color]

[quote name='AzureWolf']EDIT: Interesting...

See? Is that Gavin inside joke funny? No, because the timing and delivery sucked. This is only marginally worse than the inside jokes at OB - at least the ones I've seen.[/QUOTE][size=1]Yeah the delivery and timing were very horrid. Everyone knows it's "[size=1]Interesing, most interesting.[/size]" in small caps at the beginning of your posts. Psh.

Anyway. I must say that there's a bit of truth in what's said. For example, the "Rat Boy"/21st Century Digital Boy - or whatever he wants to be called now - jokes are really overdone now, while I still have no idea where the fun in them is, even though I've been here longer than the majority of the people who make the jokes. :whoops:

But meep. As Charles stated it, OtakuBoards pretty much always dies. Can't do anything about it. Soon it'll turn to ashes and become the grass. The antilopes eat the grass and OtakuBoards eats the antilope. It's the circle of life. Can't do anything about it at all.[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]But meep. As Charles stated it, OtakuBoards pretty much always dies. Can't do anything about it. Soon it'll turn to ashes and become the grass. The antilopes eat the grass and OtakuBoards eats the antilope. It's the circle of life. Can't do anything about it at all.[/size][/QUOTE]

Wow, we're top of the food chain! Actually, if I remember right, the place picks up a little during Summer, so not too many worries (this also explains to me our demographic, though I plan to stay a while after I graduate.)

[COLOR="DarkOrange"](WARNING: boring rant taking the thread seriously just cuz it's there)

lol, I just saw this thread when was thinking about making a whiny thread about how no one is here and stuff. Seriously, though, it feels that way at times. I mean, even I haven't been here as much lately and I'm noticing this - I can not show up for a full day and nothing new has happened :animedepr and the saddest part is that it seems like no one at all is here for long periods.

Like today, I came on and there's been no new threads since yesterday, only one or two new posts (at least the RPGs are running...) and then there was a post in two of my threads that I made yesterday which I got all excited about... only to find out that it was some random spammer who both times just said 'what are you talking about?' And to add insult to injury, they've been there all day and no one's come along to delete the posts or ban the member :animesigh

Anyway, about all this inside joke nonesense, it can be annoying at times. I [i]do not[/i] like to be called Rat Boy for instance, in fact I take offense to it when anyone other than indifference uses it. She gets to because she is a personal friend who even asked permission to call me that, so really it should only be an 'inside joke' between the two of us - it's not as inside as I'd like it to be right now ^^;;

Anyway, I don't know why I'm complaining, I don't have the time for OB to be active these days, even if I do more than my part yo help make it that way (without reward!)[/COLOR]