OtakuBoards

Bad side effects OF Fanfiction and Watching anime

sayoeimomo

[quote name='Starwind']I have been forced to bare witness to the addictions of Fanfics and even sufferd from it once myself. It is for this reason I believe the there should be a surgeons general warning on all Fanfic sites.

[B]WARNING: MAY CAUSE PALE SKIN, INSOMINA, GLASSY EYES, EATING DISORDERS, ATTRACTION TO TERRIBLE WRITTING AND A GENRAL REFUSSAL TO LEAVE ONES COMPUTER![/B]

I'm starting the petion. Does anyone care to sign it for me? I've got cookies![/quote]

You may have cookies, but they will not sway me!!!

Good fanfics do exist... as soon as you see one that doens't have 50 gramar and spelling errors in the first sentence... it should be good.

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Aethon_Liam']Good fanfics do exist... as soon as you see one that doens't have 50 gramar and spelling errors in the first sentence... it should be good.[/QUOTE]Good grammar and lack of spelling errors is no indication that something will actually be good. I've no doubt that there are ones out there that actually are good, but all you have to do is read a handful of Harlequin romance novels to realize that clean grammar and spelling is worthless as an indicator as far as actual quality goes.

Though the lack of such errors is probably a good way to weed out the ones that are more lacking. If something had that many errors right up front, I wouldn't even bother to finish reading the first page let alone the entire story.[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]If something had that many errors right up front, I wouldn't even bother to finish reading the first page let alone the entire story.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I think that's probably the most common approach, if I'm ever reading a fanfic and my eyes are raped by bad grammar and spelling in the first five lines, there's not a chance in hell I'm going to read through the whole thing.

That said, I love reading, so getting a good fanfic or an update to a good fanfic is one of those great moments of the day.

I suppose the only bad effect of my geeky-ness is like Des and Rach's, I tend to lose focus with whatever is around me, except for the centre of my attention. It's quite a weird thing when you realise that someone has been standing in your doorway and you've no idea how long they've been there.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]I suppose the only bad effect of my geeky-ness is like Des and Rach's, I tend to lose focus with whatever is around me, except for the centre of my attention. It's quite a weird thing when you realise that someone has been standing in your doorway and you've no idea how long they've been there.[/SIZE][/quote]

Yeah... that's always scary, because then you start wondering what they were doing that whole time... *shudders*

[COLOR=#4b0082][quote name='indiffernece']
[COLOR=#4b0082]Good grammar and lack of spelling errors is no indication that something will actually be good.[/COLOR]
[/QUOTE]

[/COLOR][COLOR=black]I guess you're right, errors like that just prove how unintelligent the writer is, not their lack of imagination, and writing ability... in general.[/COLOR]

I'm not saying all fanfics are bad. I'm just saying most suffer from terrible spelling, grammar and lack any sense of orginality. Every so often I'll find one that strikes my interest. But for everyone I find that's respectable and entertaining, I find 10 more that make me want to dig my eyes out of my head with an ice cream scooper.

I just wanna take some of these people and beat them over the head repeatedly with a piece of heavy mining equipment and then drag them out into the woods and disembowel them with a wooden cooking spoon.

Does that make me evil?

[quote name='Starwind']I have been forced to bare witness to the addictions of Fanfics and even sufferd from it once myself. It is for this reason I believe the there should be a surgeons general warning on all Fanfic sites.

[B]WARNING: MAY CAUSE PALE SKIN, INSOMINA, GLASSY EYES, EATING DISORDERS, ATTRACTION TO TERRIBLE WRITTING AND A GENRAL REFUSSAL TO LEAVE ONES COMPUTER![/B]

I'm starting the petion. Does anyone care to sign it for me? I've got cookies![/QUOTE]

Anti-signed.

I know of at least one excellent fanfic, spoofing Tales of Symphonia from start to finish. It was written from 2005-2006 by Zelos the Wolf at Namco's Tales Series Forum, in fact it was the reason I joined there way back.

Since then there have been other excellent works by many authors.

I even wrote my own at one point, while they might have been cheap on the storyline the spelling and grammar was still decent and could easily be reworked into something far better.

Some fanfictions have very poor grammer and plots that are very poorly written. I say if your going to write a fanfiction don't make the char.s act like something else. Thats jsut annoying when ....."Example" Tohru from Fruitbasket is pretty dences, falls a lot, puts people a head of her self, and inside she is in pain, but never shows it. In many fanfictions Tohru is nothing like what she is in the manga and thats very annoying. :animeangr

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Fanfiction being poorly written is the reason why I just read the manga over and over. As soon as I read for example, "InuYasha and Kagome saying to eachother you are hot! Let's get it on! When they start to do that, I stop reading fanfics for several months.

If I remember right, there were only two decent ones that I read and forty others that I started reading in the past five years. Now that is pretty bad.[/COLOR]