OtakuBoards

Gundam 00

Dagger

[quote name='Ikillion'][COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]

Well originally the two seasons were supposed to be attached together and just use a time skip, kinda like what happened when[spoiler]the orbital elevator collapsed[/spoiler]. It just got interrupted right in the middle because of Code Geass since everybody loves Code Geass.

Weren't you guys wondering why they were no stereotypical upgrade Gundamoo in S1?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Given how disjointed the second season of Code Geass was I'd have happily gone through a second season of Gundam 00 to give CG's writers more time to come up with a far better plot instead of the relative shite they pedalled.

I guess whether or not the series can be wrapped up depends very much on the next episode as Shin said. So long as we don't get any more unnecessary deaths I'll be happy.[/SIZE]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, this week's [b]Gundam 00[/b] did a pretty good job of erasing my fears! [spoiler]With Setsuna discovering that he is on the path to innovation (which is an interesting development), that sets up a strong conflict among him, Ribbons and Regenne. They all seem to be following Aeolia's plan but in different ways. Well, actually, Ribbons' method is the only one we know so far. I gather Setsuna's path will be a bit more peaceful. Regenne is the wild card. I am interested to know what he is planning, what his motivation is, etc. Hopefully this will be the strong central conflict the show needs to drive it toward an exciting finale.[/spoiler]

In other fantastic news, [spoiler]NENA TRINITY AND WANG LIU MEI ARE DEAD, WOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Hong Long had to be sacrificed for it, of course, but surprisingly enough I am not angry in the slightest. Could he [i]really[/i] have done anything that would have wielded more awesome results than setting the stage for Nena and Wang Liu Mei to die? I think not. Wang Liu Mei is ultimately a selfish, petty loser, so it's nice that she dies by the hand of another selfish, petty loser. Evil Ribbons Haro is friggin' great. Best thing Ribbons has done ever. The second best thing he's done is setting up the poetic justice with Louise slaughtering the crap out of Nena. Sad end to that, though, with Louise retreating further into madness and not really achieving anything personally with her revenge. Also, Andrei is still dumb.[/spoiler]

I enjoyed the [spoiler]Setsuna/Graham fight in this episode. Good to see ol' Bushido finally get a good, lengthy scene this season. I liked the throwbacks to their fight in the first season finale. Graham has become only more twisted and obsessed since then. I think cases like Graham's are something Setsuna will take into account when he formulates his plan (because, as Setsuna admitted, it is the existence of Gundams that twisted Graham), so hopefully he won't kill my boy off in the next episode. Aside from the fight, I find it interesting that Graham knows of the Innovators' existence. I wonder who else in the upper echelons of the A-Laws knows about them?[/spoiler]

The only part I am not that big on is [spoiler]the bit about Marina's song bringing peace. That seems a bit forced, and I rolled my eyes at it.[/spoiler]

[SIZE="1"]Damn it Mike you need to start replying sooner, I've nearly chewed my fingernails away waiting to share the joy of [spoiler]both Wang Liu Mei and Nena dying in the same episode in equally ignoble ways (and more amusingly they had the same pathetic motivation)[/spoiler]. To quote Monty Python, there was much rejoicing.

Overall the big reveal that [spoiler]Setsuna has become an Innovator is interesting, given he's probably the first true one since Ribbons[/spoiler] it should definitely make for the final five episodes to have a very interesting plot. The fact as well he now knows [spoiler]the location of Veda will probably make that the central point.[/spoiler] One other thing though it brought to mind was when [spoiler]Ribbons said that Ali had gone beyond human [/spoiler] back at the beginning of this season. Certainly makes one wonder.

Obviously the [spoiler]Bushido/Setsuna fight gets a mention, as usual Graham is just so ****ing awesome it goes beyond words. "Yes I'm getting used by the Innovators (Really ? Being able to choose who and when you fight purely at a whim is being used ?) but I don't give a **** so long as I get to redeem my honour and that of my fallen brothers by defeating you." So God damn epic. His potential heel-face-turn that seems to be coming up also leads to some interesting possibilities.[/spoiler]

Finally, and the only thing I didn't like about the episode. [spoiler]Youtube has apparently made Marina's song (which nobody recorded) available to everyone in the world and they all want peace now (or at least some of them). Seriously if it boils down to Setsuna using Innovation and her music to end the conflict words will not sate my wrath[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Damn it Mike you need to start replying sooner, I've nearly chewed my fingernails away waiting to share the joy of [spoiler]both Wang Liu Mei and Nena dying in the same episode in equally ignoble ways (and more amusingly they had the same pathetic motivation)[/spoiler]. To quote Monty Python, there was much rejoicing.[/size][/quote]

Haha, sorry. I am watching a ton of currently airing shows right now, and [b]Gundam 00[/b] is usually at the end of that pile because 1) It's one of the best shows on right now, and I like to save the best for last, and 2) I need something exciting and action-packed after each emotional episode of [b]Clannad ~After Story~[/b]. xD

[quote][size=1]Overall the big reveal that [spoiler]Setsuna has become an Innovator is interesting, given he's probably the first true one since Ribbons[/spoiler] it should definitely make for the final five episodes to have a very interesting plot. The fact as well he now knows [spoiler]the location of Veda will probably make that the central point.[/spoiler] One other thing though it brought to mind was when [spoiler]Ribbons said that Ali had gone beyond human [/spoiler] back at the beginning of this season. Certainly makes one wonder.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

For some reason, the whole [spoiler]Veda thing[/spoiler] slipped my mind when I wrote my post. [spoiler]Ribbons would have to be pretty dumb to not know Celestial Being has Veda's location now (and, as much as I hate the guy, he is not dumb). However, I think it's likely that at least Setsuna will get to Veda before Ribbons is able to change its location. [/spoiler]

Your point about Ali is interesting. [spoiler]It's probably a mix of something natural within Setsuna, along with all the GN particles he has been exposed to, that have accelerated his innovation. Ali's nationality is unknown, but I don't think it would be a stretch to assume he is also from the Middle East -- there is a lot of interest in that area, so maybe Aeolia Schenberg had his hand in that region when he was alive? There could have been aborted attempts at innovation (along the lines of the super soldiers) that have been passed along through genetic inheritance through the years, which wouldn't make it a stretch that Ali and Setsuna are genetically advanced in some way.[/spoiler] Of course, that is all speculation and BS at the moment, haha.

• 4 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"]And so the series ends, and I have to say it's been a great one overall. I'm not going to post any spoilers because some people mightn't be finished yet but having watching Gundam Wing before this I consider 00 to be certainly its equal if not its superior. That said things aren't fully over yet given we've got a movie in 2010 which will hopefully tie up a few more plot points that didn't quite seem to get resolved (or perhaps were left intentionally vague for the movie) so it'll be interesting to see what happens there.[/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
Just a heads up to fans of the [b]Gundam 00[/b] dub -- [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-05-02/gundam-00-2nd-season-to-debut-on-sci-fi-channel-in-june][b][strike]SciFi[/strike] SyFy is going to start airing the second season of Gundam 00 on June 29[/b][/url]. It will hold the same time slot it occupied during the first season (11 p.m. eastern). I prefer the original, just a tad, but the dub is certainly very good, and I am looking forward to hearing who voices the new characters.

[size=1]Looks like I'm going to be approaching this series pretty much like Gundam Seed. Gundam Seed Destiny first and then Gundam Seed. :( Oh well, can't be helped at the moment.[/size]

Hopefully my schedule won't interfere this because I really want to see Gundam 00. I'm still a little bitter about missing the first season. People have suggested sites, but I don't really have the time to sit at the computer to watch anime.

Hopefully one day SyFy (stupid name) will re-air the first season again because I really need to see it.

[quote name='Magus']Hopefully one day SyFy (stupid name) will re-air the first season again because I really need to see it.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Bandai has the entire first season on Youtube. Crunchyroll has the series as well, though I don't know if it's the entire season or not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Speaking of 00's dubs, maybe it's just me here but had anyone noticed that Lockon's accent in the dub is distinctly American despite his supposed Irish background ? I know getting a decent Irish accent from a non-Irish actor is damn near impossible but an attempt would've been nice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]That raises the question: did his Japanese VA even attempt an Irish accent? :p

Personally, I think it's best that he didn't attempt. Chances are, too many people would have bickered too much about it, saying how it's "blatantly fake" and whiiiiine and complaaaaaaaaaaaaaain about it.

I'm not ragging on the actor at all, he could do a great Irish impersonation for all I know. I remember in the final episode of the original FMA series, they had Germans with German accents, but they were completely dropped for the movie, which I personally found a smart move. And in video games, I know in the first Professor Layton game, Luke's VA is [i]clearly[/i] faking her accent for him, going the cockney route...while Layton's VA is an actual English gentleman. And then we have Hugh Laurie as House...

Anyway, I dunno. If you think you can pull it off, go for it...but I've seen fake accents draw far more ire than no attempt at an accent at all.[/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
Doing a little bit of marathoning here and there with the first season, and I gotta say that this is some good stuff. Just got done watching episode 10. At first I was going to say that it was a bit hard to take Tieria (sp? Kind of name is that for a guy?) seriously with the whole pink/purple shirt and glasses look.

It's also a bit hard to choose a favorite among the meisters at the moment. They all bring something to the table. Although, I suppose the [spoiler]split personality[/spoiler] guy (I can't spell his name) stands out the most.

The only character I don't really like at the moment is that Saji person, but that's coming off of seeing the first two episodes of the 2nd season on SyFy. He comes off as a whiny character, and if there's any character type that I can't stand (even moreso than the "damsel in distress") it's whiny males.

• 11 months later...