OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

For ****'s sake, can everyone just chill out?

I fail to see how Panache was being intentionally disrespectful to norse culture. He merely said:
[quote name='panache']Nah they wrote it on the toilet smokin a joint Inside the deepest depth of of the Naglfar whilst the souls of the damned wailed in pain as they approached the citadel of agony[/quote]
Yes, it's annoying and makes him look like damn fool, but he's not spitting on norse culture. If anything, he kenned those who rode on naglfar to something that all of you find despicable.

However, to those who were offended, (seriously... on the [i]internet[/i]?) I, too, have a deep respect for my scandanavian heritage, and feel that the bastardization of the precepts of its mythology is hurtful and rude.

Panache, I respectfully ask you to learn your **** before you post irresponsibly. Premonition, stop being so sensitive. For ****'s sake, it's the [i]internet[/i]. If you want to see something worth being offended over, go to ****ing 4chan.

Now... We were talking about Heavy Metal? Anyone ever heard Boris?

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, a good number of crappy, second-rate, and glam metal bands do drugs, Panache. Many black and viking metal bands have actually made statements about the moronic nature of drug-use (and I'm not counting alcohol, so don't even start with semantics).

And as for insulting the Norsemen, I'm [I]seriously[/I] offended, and my comments on the issue were very [I]serious[/I], and I'm glad everyone is upset and taking it [I]seriously[/I]. Don't do it again or you shall taste my steel! [I]Seriously[/I]!

NO WAI 0BER0N I TOTALLY DIDNT KNO THAT AT ALL BCUZ I LRNED MY VIKING HISTORY FROM AMON AMARTH WHO ARE AWSOM I BOUGHT THEIR SHIRT AT HOT TOPIC OMZ

Believe it or not, I do know a thing or two about Nordic history - and it was a very small portion of Vikings that did such things, and their form of use was very, very different from modern drug use. Also, historians aren't even entirely sure if this was true, or merely a myth that became large enough to present itself in their field of study.

That's enough. This is completely irrelevant at this point. The tangent that led to this was irrelevant, and it has very little to do with any actual heavy metal discussion.

Drugs and the drug culture are tied to most forms music, including heavy metal, and that's just the way it is.

They are, however, hardly tied to Norse culture at all; and Jake would be correct in his statement that many bands themed with Norse culture have openly condemned hard drug use. Alcohol suffices just fine in most instances.

On the one hand, Panache's statement was a joke, albeit an ignorant one, it was a joke nonetheless.

On the other hand, Panache, in the future you should be aware that some of us here are proud of our heritages and be more careful about the jokes you make about them. This is more for your sake than anyone else's.

Back to [i]heavy metal[/i], I believe someone mentioned Boris. Investigate and discuss.

-Justin

[font=arial][size=1]I love Boris, but I don't really know what to say about them. They have a different sound from album to album and much of what I heard isn't very metallic. It's a real shame though that people constantly bring up Boris but completely ignore another great Japanese band, Envy. They started off playing screamo but eventually changed to a down-tempo band very similar to Isis and the like. Their latest few albums have all been amazing, but at the same time it's something I have to be in the mood for.

What are some albums from Boris that you would recommend? I have all of Pink and a few other songs here and there.[/font][/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I have heard very little Boris, but then again, back when I was looking there were about 90% less youtube videos around and I wasn't good with searching, so if I look around I could probably find some more stuff.

However, I have heard about 3 Boris songs, one of which was from Pink and was pretty kick-***, not to mention had a cool video. However, other than that I heard their drone stuff, which I simply could not ****ing take. I have a cousin who use to call them his favorite band when he was listening to lots of drone, however, I could not stomach it with my very brief attention span.[/COLOR]

Boris is an interesting band, spanning the range between hyperactive heavy metal and slow, heavy drone. Being a fan of drone myself, I appreciate a lot of their slower stuff, but I still have to say my favorite album of theirs is "Pink".

While a few of the tracks are unmistakably amplifier worship-era drone, the vast majority is an interesting cross between thrash, stoner doom, and post-hardcore. While somewhat messy and unfocused when compared to their other albums, Boris tries to do something new with this album, and you have to appreciate that.

Aside from "Pink", they've also collaborated with Sunno))) and Michio Kurihara on "Altar" and "Rainbows", respectively. Both albums excel (but those who aren't fans of drone might want to steer clear of "Altar"...), and are most certainly worth a good listen. "Altar" is very obviously on the drone end of their musical spectrum, the track "The Sinking Belle" is surprisingly calm and melodic. It adds a very interesting and well-placed dynamic to the otherwise bottom-frequency self-indulgence on this album. "Rainbows" is an interesting album that incorporates the musical talents of solo artist Michio Kurihara. More towards a light and rocky sound, "Rainbows" is fairly accessible, as well as extremely good.

I never listened to Japanese metal before. Mostly because I don't like the Japanese language and I am afraid whatever I listen to will suck.

Oh and I was listening to Slayer this morning. Man Seasons in the Abyss is a good album and Skeletons of Society is a great song. It reminded me of Tools song Bottom a little bit with the lyrics.

Wow. I hope you all realize I was joking when I got offended about my heritage. I tried to make that clear through very blatant sarcasm with my second post, but it seems no-one picked up on it somehow.

As for the metal discussion, WHAT IS WITH EVERYONE COMPARING EVERY BAND EVER TO TOOL?!?!? STOP IT!!!

[QUOTE]WHAT IS WITH EVERYONE COMPARING EVERY BAND EVER TO TOOL?!?!? STOP IT!!![/QUOTE]If by everyone you mean me it is because they are my favorite band. And I compare everyone to my favorite band(regardless of genre).

[QUOTE]You and those of your bloodline will pay dearly at the hands of flame and thunder if you do so again.[/QUOTE]That kinda struck me as not serious. Sounded like a monologue from an anime I saw. I was mostly talking to prem.

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]There is a rule in the journalism world that a review must NEVER mention Tool in a review. Unless it's about Tool.

There's a reason for this.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Just like Neon Genesis Evangelion in the anime community XD.

Fine, no more Tool comparisons. [/COLOR]

Slayer and Tool? That's a stretch. I mean, I'm sure someone in Tool probably listens to Slayer. Maybe one day, one of them said to themselves, "Self, one day I wanna grow to be as popular as Slayer. I wanna do this with heavy music, too." And I mean, hey, they achieved that.

But Slayer reminds you of Tool? Meh.

I noticed you're comparing lyrics, and being that I don't know the Tool song you're referencing, I don't know if I'd agree. But by comparing lyrics you could feasibly be reminded of Tool by just about anyone. I'm sure Kelly Clarkson and Tool have songs that are similar in some way, lyrically speaking. It's all in the same language, after all.

-Justin

[quote name='Kam']
I'm sure Kelly Clarkson and Tool have songs that are similar in some way, lyrically speaking. It's all in the same language, after all.

-Justin[/QUOTE]

Kelly Clarkson's music sounds just like it was lifted straight out Tool's "Lateralus" because it uses bass and drums. Remember this rule? It was covered earlier in the thread.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Kelly Clarkson's music sounds just like it was lifted straight out Tool's "Lateralus" because it uses bass and drums. Remember this rule? It was covered earlier in the thread.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because DID YOU KNOW, Maynard is god and went back in time to CREATE MUSIC. Anyone who doesn't agree with me obviously has bad music taste and can't appreciate multi-faceted lyrics about sex and also having gay sex. *sigh* philistines...

[quote name='0ber0n the Neko']Yeah, because DID YOU KNOW, Maynard is god and went back in time to CREATE MUSIC. Anyone who doesn't agree with me obviously has bad music taste and can't appreciate multi-faceted lyrics about sex and also having gay sex. *sigh* philistines...[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Hey guys? Tool isn't even that great a band. [/COLOR]

I think there are about three people in this thread at this point with better than half a brain. If this gets reduced to pointless questions of who's taking or not taking offense or who's blowing what out of proportion again, the sun will set on this one.

-Justin

[font=arial][size=1]Hi Jake, lol. I checked out Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty and I really like it. Well, just the first song so far. That song is longer than most of the records I buy so after listening to it, I had to take a break. The music is standard metal fare for me, but it's the GOOD KIND. My favorite part is probably the vocals though, they remind me of Majority Rule's vocalist, which by the way, if you were to like a hardcore band, they would be it.

So I like a non-sludge metal band now. Woah, guys. I just refuse to know what they're screaming about, or see any pictures.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]
So I like a non-sludge metal band now. Woah, guys. I just refuse to know what they're screaming about, or see any pictures.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Here's a picture of them and an English translation of the lyrics from that album:

[IMG]http://www.memoriesofobedientnaenia.com/images/moonsorrow_groupe.jpg[/IMG]

[B][I]Born Of Ice / Stream Of Shadows[/I][/B]

Through the death of the sun
A new world is born
A drop of water in cold
To run on the hands of man

One note of the still landscape
Carries afar on the quiet lake
Not even leaves move under my eyes
Coldness alone floats under the surface

And my body yearns for water
It screams out for freedom
Not from here to be found
From nowhere for now

Who would show the way to the one who is lost
When time only approaches its end

Death drifts on
The stream of shadows
The soil is grey
And my heart gone

Somewhere the road has forked astray
Snow is covering the footprints from here
Only the colours change under my eyes
The solitary calmed down by coldness alone

And my body yearns for water
It screams out for freedom
In a foreign city
Endless search for beauty

Soon everything will be purposeless
Heaven's eyes already cast away
One step to suffering, one step to freedom
Should I stay here and nothing will I find

Here only the shadows pass
One after another
They wait for no one

Before me I see the mountains crumble
Yet for a while I stand still
As I feel how the flood is rising

How I would desire to trick my fate
To see the light and return

Somewhere the sun always rises
She whispers and points to the road
It doesn't rain from the sea any longer
Would it whip me awake, I wonder

Alone among a thousand people
Always somewhere else
Roots torn up from the earth
Once sent to live and to die

How I would desire to trick my fate
To see the light and return
Hence for a while I stand still
As I feel how the flood is rising

Death drifts on
The stream of shadows
The soil is grey
And my heart gone

Soon everything will be purposeless
Heaven's eyes already cast away
One step to suffering, one step to freedom
Should I stay here and nothing will I find

[B][I]A Land Driven Into The Fire[/I][/B]

The book of life written in blood
Lies in the hands of the lord of the world of war
This lasting winter could the dying endure
Still calling the wolves when wounded

The sword doesn't heal the forests' wounds
What is written is undone by blood
Hearken to the echoes of warcries
The opposing shore will not wait for the dawn

Clay from the earth, ash from the sky
Offerings of the burnt soil from flames
Waves from the sea, drops from the sky
To calm the spirits of fire

No one has looked at us from above
The scourge has ripped through the clouds
Race of rats on the deck of the world
Grudge flames in the eyes of the prey

When the west casts a shadow on east
Whilst a poisoned mind desires glory
Which was born of ice is now driven into fire
The firemakers all drowned in black

No man will say he sees the coming
No man will say he fears

Splinter your axes against the rocks
Hang your heads and kneel
Shed your skin to reveal your flesh
Wallow in shame to sacrifice your kin

The will of man like iron unbent
Who was created flawless may hang his head
He fears, but will die fighting
In honour of gods he has never known

The victor must wait for his moment
To cast his words into the wind
Rarely the mountais do move
Even the strongest won't shift them alone

Your flame is ablaze but once
Behold as it wanes to veil the earth in ash
Last sparkles die out in the depths of cold
Death itself you may invite to find and fan them

And so you shall weep, for the somber guest in your stay
Spreads its wings over your beautiful life
Blowing it out with one single breath

To arms, you shall always hearken
With your blood they veil the ground
It's a path you will be followed on
As long as the darkness may reach
Claim your positions, you shall never be free
In your coffins your children are carried

The wrath of man cast upon the gods
Right through strength kills the strong
Defend your home, offer your loved to the ruin
Burn the land left behind before burning yourself

The wrath of man cast upon the gods
Red clouds blur over the sky
This is how it ends, heat sweeps the earth
This is how it ends, I can see it now
Red sky to encircle the rats

The book of life written in blood
From the hands of the lord of the world of war
Lay down on earth with bindings charred
And with all words made unsaid

This is how it ends, I can see it now
This page will be the last
This is how it ends, to emptiness, to oblivion
And none will ever return

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Sienna"]I actually sat down and read through all 23 pages of this thread which took me about 3, 3 and a half hours to do so, only because I actually made attempts at looking up a few bands that got recommended on each page to see if I liked them.

I'm glad I read through this, since I never quite realized how diverse metal really was and finding out I'm not really a metal-head, rather in fact my music tastes are all over the map (I won't mention what I like because I don't feel like getting kicked in the nuts.. if I had any to be kicked).

My point in posting was to say the only band that I actually genuinely liked that got mentioned in here, somewhere... Kamelot. Thank you Jake ;)

Symphonic metal? So my cup of tea, as long as it's not Lacuna Coil, or Nightwish feel free to recommend more to me.

EDIT: Bad grammar and that I just listened to Ghost Opera again and I can barely even begin to describe how much they blow me away, the dramatic tones, suspenseful lulls and the vocalist is beautiful. His voice is remeniscent of The Phantom, the movie made version of him.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=arial][size=1]Jake: ***hole. At least the lyrics are more in the vein of Opeth rather than Ensiferum, haha. I know, apples to oranges, it works for me though. It actually makes me happy.

MissWem: This thread needs more visitors like you. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend any other Symphonic Metal bands.[/font][/size]

[quote name='0ber0n the Neko']oh, sorry. i forgot my /sarcasm tag.[/quote]

[COLOR=darkorange]Really? I thought it was just invisile and assumed it was there. I hope you don't think I'm stupid...[/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]You two, please. There's already been a warning about posting of this nature recently. For the sake of this thread, just let it go and keep the discussion on topic.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]- Petie[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='MissWem'][FONT=Arial][COLOR=sienna]I actually sat down and read through all 23 pages of this thread which took me about 3, 3 and a half hours to do so, only because I actually made attempts at looking up a few bands that got recommended on each page to see if I liked them.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=sienna]I'm glad I read through this, since I never quite realized how diverse metal really was and finding out I'm not really a metal-head, rather in fact my music tastes are all over the map (I won't mention what I like because I don't feel like getting kicked in the nuts.. if I had any to be kicked).[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=sienna]My point in posting was to say the only band that I actually genuinely liked that got mentioned in here, somewhere... Kamelot. Thank you Jake ;)[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=sienna]Symphonic metal? So my cup of tea, as long as it's not Lacuna Coil, or Nightwish feel free to recommend more to me.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=sienna]EDIT: Bad grammar and that I just listened to Ghost Opera again and I can barely even begin to describe how much they blow me away, the dramatic tones, suspenseful lulls and the vocalist is beautiful. His voice is remeniscent of The Phantom, the movie made version of him.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]

Wow. You made it through every single page? Jeez... I feel like I owe you money or something...

By the way, "Symphonic Metal" is not a genre. Kamelot is power metal.

And Kevin, you realize you basically invited me to do that, right? :p

And the lyrics are even more eloquent in Finnish, which they're originally written and sung in. I just posted the English ones so you could know what they're talking about. Moonsorrow's lyrics have actually always been very good, and definitely better than standard Viking metal fare.

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Heh, I took care of the double post for you so don't worry about it. For future reference though, you can delete your own posts by going in to edit them and using the delete form above the post editor.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]- Petie[/COLOR][/FONT]