OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Yes that is true, but after a while it turns to annoyance, than turns into a thorn on our backs, and soon it will become worse.

Oh yeah, metal right... One is one of Metalica's early metal songs, if memory serves me. But anyways, isn't the newer Metallica considered Hard Rock, or is it still considered metal?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]Yeah, "One" is back from the 80s. But to answer your question, Metallica's present genre could possibly be considered hard rock, since it doesn't seem to be as heavy as it was in the past. That's only my take on it.[/COLOR]

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KyuubiKhaos'][COLOR="Red"]Yeah, "One" is back from the 80s. But to answer your question, Metallica's present genre could possibly be considered hard rock, since it doesn't seem to be as heavy as it was in the past. That's only my take on it.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Sienna"]I do believe they were originally considered thrash, but it's somewhat unfortunate they are considered heavy rock these days, due to the evolution of the genre, since their very name in itself is suppose to epotimise metal.

And just because I can (and I'm suppose to be a westie), the black album, rules.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="sienna"][FONT="Arial"]P.S, Thanks Kam for this, it makes more sense than just about anything else I've heard about the genre: "Metal is where punk gets its attitude. Metal is where rock gets its edge. Metal is the diamond in the rough of all modern music. It's hard to nail down, but when you're a metalhead, you know."[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Eh, I don't remember many of the black metal bands I've heard... But I do live by a code. "If it's not from Norway, it's not real Black Metal".. Even though, I bet there are a few BM bands from other places, aha..

Isn't Venom a I-Wanna-Be-A-Shock-Rocker group? Ah yes, the old days of seeing them with snakes crawling around their necks with pentagrams and flames in every direction. Sigh. Dreamy..

Anywho.. I've refrained from talking of this band for a while now, to avoid a royal butt-kicking...but... "Oden Is On Our Side" is one of my favorite albums.. Amon Amarth. Death Metal band. My favorite of the metal scene. I like them much more than I do, my very first encounter with metal (which just so happened to be a long time ago) Opeth. However, I do kind of wish Amon Amarth had the key sounds of Opeth, or even Nightwish.

But I am glad that I found out about this band, though I'm not big on knowledge of metal, I have enough sense to know they're teh shiz. But I don't like their guitar solos.. Forgive me. I don't like many guitar solos, unless they're in old songs. But there's only a few solos anyway.

Amon Amarth is my "fight music"... Much more inspiring than the Rocky Theme.

"Raise your swords up high
See the black birds fly
Let them hear your rage
Show no fear
ATTACK!"[/COLOR][/SIZE]

edit: sorry about that first part...I was looking at the black metal discussion on the last page by accident...

Kill 'Em All... Good album by Metallica. Early Trash Metal... Started newer thrash bands like that of Black Tide. At least, I suppose they're thrash. Good stuff, though.

It's [i]With Oden on Our Side[/i], to be exact.

Metallica was a forerunner of thrash metal at one time. One could say that they [i]could've[/i] been America's Iron Maiden. But they royally ****** that up with the release of [i]Metallica[/i]; ie: The Black Album.

Everything from that record forward has been progressively worse, culminating in [i]St. Anger[/i]; which pretty much constitutes the worse noise I've ever heard in my life.

Metallica irks me on a very basic level. I hate them. In order to even enjoy the first four albums, I kind of have to pretend it's two separate bands, both named Metallica.

Modern Metallica would be categorized as hard rock; or hard ****, depending on your perspective.

-Justin

No, Premonition, stop crying and listen up: [I]One[/I] is not one of Metallica's "early metal songs". It's off the the last decent album they released. You realize Metallica recorded four (4) full-lengths albums and a ton of demos and EPs before the Black Album, right? They'd been a band for 7 years before One was recorded. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

And no, Woah Mann, Venom is nothing even close to shock-rock. They were a thrash metal band (and are considered to be the progenitors of black metal).

[QUOTE]Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="77656"]Ooo, you growled! I'm just [I]shaking[/I]. :p

Anyways I agree with Kam, I hate Metallica on levels that I can't even see with my mind. the last Metallica song I heard made me want to die, One is the only song I can't stand. St. Anger, is an explosion of crap. I used to enjoy them until I discovered St. Anger.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Panache']Metallica is awesome. I don't give a **** what anyone says. Sure most of load all of reload and all the albums after that suck...but the stuff before that was ****ing amazing.[/QUOTE]

...Metallica was decent, but they aren't really special in any other respect than having ushered in a vast, hit-or-miss slew of imitation bands. They wrote some very good tunes in their early career, but their glory days are so far gone now, what with the release of St. Anger, hardly any more than a slightly aggressive shock-rock/mallcore album. I know we wouldn't be where we are now without them - seeing as they were an extremely influential band in metal's infancy - but as of now, they're hardly worth the breath it takes to sigh at their commercialization.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']And no, Woah Mann, Venom is nothing even close to shock-rock. They were a thrash metal band (and are considered to be the progenitors of black metal).[/quote]

They were so far into thrash, in fact, their album "Black Metal" is often described as a Punk Rock album. Shock-Rock is the genre that Rob Zombie and all of his stupid flunkies fall under. I actually think it's funny that, like Nu-Metal, Shock-Rock has become an accepted term. Both are meant to demean the genre they describe, and with good reason, too.

[quote name='Whoa, Mann']Eh, I don't remember many of the black metal bands I've heard... But I do live by a code. "If it's not from Norway, it's not real Black Metal".. Even though, I bet there are a few BM bands from other places, aha..[/QUOTE]

You, sir, are incorrect. I was going to put a list of bands here, but I'm too lazy.

[quote name='MissWem'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Sienna"]Quick, run!!! He said Rammstein is metal!!

*throws hands in air wildly *:o[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'm running, but mostly because he said it was Russian XD Hayake, just to let you know, they happen to be German and they aren't metal. They are probably some kind of industrial rock or something - I'm sure someone will come to correct me. [/COLOR]

[quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'm running, but mostly because he said it was Russian XD Hayake, just to let you know, they happen to be German and they aren't metal. They are probably some kind of industrial rock or something - I'm sure someone will come to correct me. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Just industrial. Annoying industrial. Also, German.

[QUOTE]Just industrial. Annoying industrial. Also, German.[/QUOTE]There is no such thing as just industrial(Kam explained that earlier in this thread).They are industrial hard rock. And I think they have like 3 good songs and that's it. And their not Russian...wtf is that?

[quote name='Panache']There is no such thing as just industrial(Kam explained that earlier in this thread).They are industrial hard rock. And I think they have like 3 good songs and that's it. And their not Russian...wtf is that?[/QUOTE]

I'd call it industrial hard rock, but they'd have to be listenable first. For now, we'll consider it a moot point because no matter what colorful cross-genre breed spin anyone tries to put on this most mediocre band, they're not metal, and thus not worth discussing on this thread.

Russian is a nationality. You know, from that really big country in Eurasia.

Anyways, back to metal, for some odd reason, I've been on a huge Korpiklaani tear lately.

[QUOTE]Russian is a nationality. You know, from that really big country in Eurasia.[/QUOTE]I meant why the hell would anyone think they are russian...

Anyway I was listening to Kreator this morning on my bus. I wonder why this band wasn't more popular back in the 90's. I mean they have a really good sound. Anyway I am really digging Kreator now. I gotsta look up more of them.

[quote name='Panache']
Anyway I was listening to Kreator this morning on my bus. I wonder why this band wasn't more popular back in the 90's. I mean they have a really good sound. Anyway I am really digging Kreator now. I gotsta look up more of them.[/QUOTE]

More popular? You do realise that Kreator is HUUUUUUGELY popular/mainstream, right?

[QUOTE]Yakuza are a ****ing awesome Progressive Death Metal (going with that cuz they were absent from Metallum) from Chicago with a few albums out. They use some jazz and other weird influences in their music, though most of it is focused on the progressive death-ness. It's heavy and it quicks quite a bit of ***.[/QUOTE]

I listened to Yakuza, and learned two things:

1. There's a reason they're not on Metal Archives.
2. You have absolutely no clue what "Progressive Death Metal" means.

[QUOTE]More popular? You do realise that Kreator is HUUUUUUGELY popular/mainstream, right?[/QUOTE]Is that so. I guess I must be out of the loop. I've never seen a video from them. Nor a T shirt at hot topic. So they can't be too mainstream.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']I listened to Yakuza, and learned two things:

1. There's a reason they're not on Metal Archives.
2. You have absolutely no clue what "Progressive Death Metal" means.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The only ****ing source I had was Wikipedia. How the hell am I supposed to determine the genre with no source? And how the hell are hey not metal?[/COLOR]

[quote name='2008DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"][url=http://www.myspace.com/yakuza]Yakuza[/url] (
Oh yea and if they aren't Crust Punk I don't know what the hell they are...They aren't metal core...or Grindcore. Not your basic old rock either. Maybe some odd sub genre of punk that isn't crust punk? I dunno...

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Woah, DB's listening to my kind of music now. This is worse than I feared.

It's hardcore, maaaaaybe crust punk. I think it's hilarious that you think these guys are metal.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Yay I was almost right! And off of a guess!