OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

[COLOR="1234"]Umm, I'm going to steer away from your conversation and say... Swallow the Sun.

Two days ago I heard 3 Hours(or days... I wasn't in a thinking mood.) of Despair and they're awesome. It was an amazing song.

I have a quick question, are the bands In Flames and Dope considered metal, metalcore or no. I heard somewhere that they are so I thought I'd ask.[/COLOR]

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]Umm, I'm going to steer away from your conversation and say... Swallow the Sun.

Two days ago I heard 3 Hours(or days... I wasn't in a thinking mood.) of Despair and they're awesome. It was an amazing song.

I have a quick question, are the bands In Flames and Dope considered metal, metalcore or no. I heard somewhere that they are so I thought I'd ask.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

In flames used to be metal, now it's nu-metal with metalcore influences. Dope is nu-metal.

So no, neither of them are metal.

Panache, I promise if you type in Kreator at YouTube, you'll come up with some videos. Off the top of my head, I know for a fact they have a video for Enemy of God.

[QUOTE]The only ****ing source I had was Wikipedia. How the hell am I supposed to determine the genre with no source? And how the hell are hey not metal?[/QUOTE]

1. I believe the "NEVER USE WIKIPEDIA TO LEARN ABOUT METAL" thing has been mentioned at LEAST a billion times in this thread.

2. Clue #1: It wasn't on Metal Archives.

3. You determine the genre without a source by *gasp* by listening to the music.

4. How are they not a metal band? Because none of their songs are metal songs. They are also not an R&B group. Why? Because none of their songs are R&B songs. The same concept applies to ragtime, pop, rap, country, and the multitude of other genres they are not.

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]

Well DB isn't a genre genious like you. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]there's a better term for this, but I'm sure mentioning it here will only get me more warning points =_=

oh, and Prem, listen to more Swallow the Sun. They are incredible. Every time I listen to the album Hope it gets better and better. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']
3. You determine the genre without a source by *gasp* by listening to the music.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Sienna"]Oh my god, so he listened to the music and judged it comparatively to other music he had heard and determined it to be of the metal genre. Surely he, as could you and anyone who tries to immerse themselves into the music would be able to discern some facts about it from just listening to it, even if it's something as basic as the genre it belongs.

What you're saying is that he shouldn't even have to look at a painting and already know what period and art style it was done in.

Guess what? You can actually still appreciate music just by [I]listening to it[/I]... and not know any background information about it.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='MissWem'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Sienna"]Guess what? You can actually still appreciate music just by [I]listening to it[/I]... and not know any background information about it.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]And that's fine, but Jake will get all pissy if it is talked about in here. He's not saying that you can't appreesh it, just don't talk about it in here.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][FONT=arial][SIZE=1]And that's fine, but Jake will get all pissy if it is talked about in here. He's not saying that you can't appreesh it, just don't talk about it in here.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I'm sorry but that's really not what a forum is about. You are here to [i]discuss[/i] things and one member getting annoyed because someone's facts aren't perfect is no reason to not post. When someone is wrong, it's very easy to correct them in a polite way (i.e. without telling them to never post in the thread again). And more importantly, since this thread seems more about proving people wrong than it does about discussing the genre now, if you're going to tell someone they're wrong, please back it up with sources yourself. You can prove your point and maybe even teach someone something at the same time.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Petie'][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I'm sorry but that's really not what a forum is about. You are here to [i]discuss[/i] things and one member getting annoyed because someone's facts aren't perfect is no reason to not post. When someone is wrong, it's very easy to correct them in a polite way (i.e. without telling them to never post in the thread again). And more importantly, since this thread seems more about proving people wrong than it does about discussing the genre now, if you're going to tell someone they're wrong, please back it up with sources yourself. You can prove your point and maybe even teach someone something at the same time.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Apparently you haven't been keeping up with this thread... Kam, myself, and even Goodbye, Face have made countless posts trying to educate and help out, but people keep making the same stupid posts over and over and over and over and over again. Hence the current belligerence.

And Miss Wem, yes, it would be ridiculous to expect him to what period a picture were in before he looked at it - but he posted that band AFTER listening to it. I wouldn't have gotten on his case if he hadn't been posting in this thread from its inception. He seems to be determined not to learn a thing. He knows better than to post about non-metal bands in the metal thread, hence me being annoyed. It's the same thing going into a thread about rap music and bringing up Cannibal Corpse. Were he a complete newbie who was misguided, I'd politely attempt to help him out and set him straight (as *gasp* I've done in the past, and some of the regs can probably attest to this).

Ok, I've had enough of this thread. I fully regret making it at this point.

For the record, Petie, I'm going to stand by Jake. While his methods are [i]indeed[/i] a bit abrasive, DB seems, at this point, to be provoking this kind of thing. My own tongue is only held by the fact that I have a responsibility to hold it. But you know, I'm sure, [i]precisely[/i] what I mean by this.

Metal has been, in various posts throughout this ridiculous discussion, covered for the most part. For any who learned anything, I appreciate the time you took in doing so. Really, it means a lot.

For those of you who didn't, it wasn't because you didn't have information available to you. It was because you wanted to argue, rather than listen.

Heavy metal is more than music. It's a culture. It seems the majority of this thread has been a handful of people who understand that fact valiantly defending it from confusion with other, often less merited, forms of music and the cultures they represent.

And for those warriors, both the louder ones and the more passive ones, many hails and many horns.

-Justin

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Apparently you haven't been keeping up with this thread... Kam, myself, and even Goodbye, Face have made countless posts trying to educate and help out, but people keep making the same stupid posts over and over and over and over and over again. Hence the current belligerence.[/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I went back and read more of this thread again and you're right. I guess I just lost track of things after this most recent string of arguments so sorry about that. You definitely have patiently explained things (over and over again) as well.[/COLOR][/FONT]