OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

[quote name='Avenged666fold']Tis blasphemy! NOTHING is more epic than listening to 2112. I am listening to some song from them and they are OK I guess. Sorta like rush but harder and with slightly better vocals.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'd compare them to Dream Theater before Rush, though with 100% less pretentious cocksucking, and far more power. 2112 is insanely epic, but you haven't heard this song yet. It's like nothing before. It reminded me of Dream Theater's In the Name of God for a while, but it surpassed even that masterpiece by a longshot. I need A Night at the Opera NAOW![/COLOR]

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'd compare them to Dream Theater before Rush, though with 100% less pretentious cocksucking, and far more power. 2112 is insanely epic, but you haven't heard this song yet. It's like nothing before. It reminded me of Dream Theater's In the Name of God for a while, but it surpassed even that masterpiece by a longshot. I need A Night at the Opera NAOW![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well I will believe that it is more epic than 2112 when I hear it.

Hmm you know whats weird? A band from Richmond Va is named Alabama thunderpussy.

[COLOR="Olive"]@ Avenged; I think Agalloch is folk-metal. Not completely sure. But I've never heard them, However, everyone here practically LOVES them. Well Pale [B]FOLK[/B]lore sort of gives it away. >_>

[QUOTE]A band from Richmond Va is named Alabama thunderpussy.[/QUOTE]

Ever hear of Pennysylvania Lightingcock? Me neither, but I don't think Alabama Thunderpussy is metal.

Currently listening to Mastadon's Colony of Birchmen. Mastadon is another excellent band, that has some fair mainstream knowledge. This song further proves that they are great. Another good Mastadon song is Blood and Thunder, which is better than colony of Birchmen IMO.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mastodon indeed kicks *** (Billy, get in here). Blood and Thunder is the song that got me interested, being the only song on the album I really liked. Blood Mountain, however, is among my favorite albums. Between The Wolf is Loose, Crystal Skull, Capillarian Crest, Bladecather, and Colony of Birchmen are some of the best riffage, solos, and overall amazing metal in existence. The brutal, visceral, intense and complicated riffs are the main draw, of course.

My best memories of the album were playing World of Warcraft and rocking out to it - absolutely sad as that is. It should also be noted that Pendulous Skin is one of he greatest songs ever written, period.

I think I could appreciate Leviathan a lot more if I listened to it now. Just listened to Iron Tusk and it was great.

In regards to Agalloch - dude, just youtube them already. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"]Sadly, I can't partake in Agalloch, my ISP plain ol' sucks. That's why I want a DSL provider, as I can enjoy a wider plethera of music from artists.

Is it just me, or does Korn's last album feel like they want to sound metal? However, they do have one song thst sounds metalish, I will Protect you. (****, I made a bad mistake, mentioning a non-metal bad. *Waits for pain.*

But yeah, Mastadon kicks ton O' ***. I don't have a CD though, but I plan on buying one, unlike other albums I want to get but I procrastinate endlessy. However, I know a few songs, but each one was awesome, the next better than the last.[/COLOR]

I just listened to a little bit of Meshuggah, and I can't really find anything to seriously dislike about them, even the screaming (which is usually the immediate turnoff for me). I might really like them if I were an angrier person, lol. But as it stands, I think they're fine.

[COLOR="Olive"]Well, I just heard the original Holy Diver, and it was wayyyyy better than Killswitch's version. I also heard Face Fisted (Fist Faced?) by Dethklok. I almost laughed my *** of at the lyrics. Dethklok is actually good for a TV show-based metal band.[/COLOR]

I do hate Meshuggah. They're guilty of the same crime as DragonFarce, except the song they've rewritten a billion times is far more annoying (and pretentious in a bad way) than DragonFarce's song (because yes, they only have one song).

As far as Meshuggah goes, this post I made in another thread sums it up nicely:

"I hate Meshuggah. Sure the vocals are terrible, but there are worse things about them. They have the Dragonforce syndrome: once you've heard 30 seconds of one of their songs, you've heard everything the band has ever recorded. All I ever hear from their fanboys is "YA BUT DID U HEER TEH TIME SINGATARZ??! TEY ARE LIEK CRAZY TIME SIGNATARZ AND THAT MAEKS THEM AWESUM!!!1!!11!!one1!!!1" and "ZOMGS POLYRHYTHMS MAKE ME TOUCH MAH SELF!!!1!1111!!" And then when I say "Nope, they're still terrible", they always tell me that I've obviously only listened to one song and written them off. No, I've tried. I really have. I've suffered through three entire albums in hopes that I'd understand why some people are so excited about these wankers, and guess what? I got three albums of the same exact song. Sure, they can play songs in time signatures like 143/75 and 27/Blue, but that doesn't mean they write good music. Awful, boring band that I'm sure I will be accused of not appreciating complex music for not enjoying their pretentious monotony."

Haha! I'm awesome.

This thread blew up in the last twenty four hours. And I'm getting a certain satisfaction from seeing James post in a metal thread. Just not something I ever expected to see. Meh...

Messhugah...meh...chugga chugga.

And Holy Diver the is the best song Killswitch never should've covered.

Give me some intelligent reviews on the following albums:

3 Inches of Blood- Fire up the Blades

Arch Enemy- Rise of the Tyrant

the Black Dahlia Murder- Nocturnal

Exodus- The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A

Candlemass- King of the Grey Islands

The Absence- From Your Grave

I've also just read that both Carcass and At the Gates are confirmed for reunion tours in 2008. My metal dreams are closer to fulfillment.

-Justin

Oh my Gods... the new Candlemass...

Definitely - BY FAAAAR - the best album you listed there. Candlemass' latest is an epic, monolithic, unforgiving, mallcore-kid-crushing slab of pure ****ing DOOM. The gods of the genre have returned full-force (with the vocalist from Solitude Aeturnus, no less) and delivered an album that truly exceeded my expectations. It seems as if Candlemass simply cannot write a single riff that isn't the heaviest riff you've ever heard. There's something about the album that just makes you have to headbang. It's pure traditional doom metal at it's very finest. Oh, and the remake of Solitude? Perfect. It's somehow even heavier than before. This might - [I]might[/I] - even be their best album since the legendary [I]Epicus Doomicus Metallicus[/I].

For those of you who think you like heavy music, you haven't even heard heavy until you hear Candlemass's "King of the Grey Islands". And yes, this is heavier than whatever band you are going to try and say is heavier after you go and listen to it.

[B]Best Doom Albums of 2007 (thus far):[/B]

[B]1. Swallow the Sun - [I]Hope[/I]
2. Mael Mordha - [I]Gaeltacht Mael Mordha[/I]
3. Candlemass - [I]King of the Grey Islands[/I][/B]

God, I love doom metal.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Listened to a bit of a couple Candlemass songs and while heavy, I found them to be boring. So I started listening to Swallow the Sun who are excellent. Don't Fall Asleep was great, especially because I was watching the knife vs. baton fight posted in the best fights thread and I happened to start each video at a time in which the song synced perfectly, which was completely badass.

The doom-metal genre has always been pretty hit-and-miss with me. I either end up liking the band or totally being bored by it, so Swallow the Sun sounds like one I would love. [/COLOR]

I've found that a lot of people who don't really appreciate the more traditional metal have a hard time getting into Candlemass. Try periodically trying them again, they might grow on you. And that's still pretty much one of the heaviest albums of all time, regardless.

I'm glad you liked Swallow the Sun. They're one of my top 5 favorite bands for sure. All their albums have been incredible strong, very atmospheric, full of emotion, and good lord the RIFFS. The new album absolutely slays (hence it's #1 spot on my top picks for Doom Metal this year). You need to listen to the song "These Hours of Despair". Good lord. When the keyboard part comes in.... yeah. Holy ****.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']I've found that a lot of people who don't really appreciate the more traditional metal have a hard time getting into Candlemass. Try periodically trying them again, they might grow on you. And that's still pretty much one of the heaviest albums of all time, regardless.

I'm glad you liked Swallow the Sun. They're one of my top 5 favorite bands for sure. All their albums have been incredible strong, very atmospheric, full of emotion, and good lord the RIFFS. The new album absolutely slays (hence it's #1 spot on my top picks for Doom Metal this year). You need to listen to the song "These Hours of Despair". Good lord. When the keyboard part comes in.... yeah. Holy ****.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jake, what would you consider your top 5 bands, anyway? i know Agalloch and probably Opeth are in there, and now I know Swallow the Sun, but why not show us the rest of the picture?[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jake, what would you consider your top 5 bands, anyway? i know Agalloch and probably Opeth are in there, and now I know Swallow the Sun, but why not show us the rest of the picture?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]They're Agalloch, Opeth, Moonsorrow, Swallow the Sun, and Wintersun. :]

Riiiiight Jake? :P[/FONT]

Mastadon sounds OK to me. I got them mixed up with Gogoroth(sp?) once and said they really sucked. Oh and I listened to Amon Amorath on the school bus today. And guess what? I couldn't hear all the trash music that the other annoying kids played! W00t!

@Jake: I haven't listened to a whole lot of their songs but a\ll the ones I have heard sound different to me. Although you probably have a considerably better ear for that sort of thing than me. Oh and I listened to one song from candlemass. I didn't really like the vocals. But I guess I will try more and see if it grows on me.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mastodon indeed kicks *** (Billy, get in here). Blood and Thunder is the song that got me interested, being the only song on the album I really liked. Blood Mountain, however, is among my favorite albums. Between The Wolf is Loose, Crystal Skull, Capillarian Crest, Bladecather, and Colony of Birchmen are some of the best riffage, solos, and overall amazing metal in existence. The brutal, visceral, intense and complicated riffs are the main draw, of course.

My best memories of the album were playing World of Warcraft and rocking out to it - absolutely sad as that is. It should also be noted that Pendulous Skin is one of he greatest songs ever written, period.

I think I could appreciate Leviathan a lot more if I listened to it now. Just listened to Iron Tusk and it was great.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Here I am, and I come bearing my opinion on [B]Mastodon[/B]: they rip you a new cornhole and make you eat the old one.

What is great about them is that I went to Best Buy with really no prior knowledge of their music other than a CD-ROM packaged with a Guitar World magazine and 15 bucks. I bough [I]Blood Mountain [/I]and have absolutely no regret.

The instrumental interlude in Capillarian Crest: I will never, ever, ever stop pimping Mastodon because of that riff. It was the definititive reason for me liking Mastodon so much.

All this talk of power metal hasn't brought up [B]Yngwie Malmsteen[/B]! I absolutely [I]hate [/I]him because he is the most pompous prick I have ever seen, but he can really shred a Strat. I'm not a big fan of shred guitar, but I have an affinity for Yngwie because of his Legend of Zelda theme cover :animeswea[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Eh, I've said somewhere before that doom really isn't my shindig. But I really didn't give King of the Grey Islands a fair shot. Though, it's lucky it got a shot, as Candlemass is the only doom metal outfit that can occasionally crank my tractor. And Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is the only record of theirs that I own.

I'm too sure I'd call Yngwie Malmsteen power metal. That's kind of like calling Dio power metal. The fact that the two influenced the genre is obvious; but they don't really qualify. Power metal is a bit more recent of a developement than that, in spite of how retro it may sound to the casual listener.

I'd say power metal came from that style of heavy metal, combined with early thrash and post-NWOBHM(which I actually think was the first group of bands to be labeled 'power metal').

Think Yngwie Malmsteen getting in a barfight with Kill 'Em All era Metallica, when suddenly...Amored Saint bursts in and sings a duet with Iron Maiden. That's more like the modern idea of power metal.

He is, however, an excellent guitar player. As I understand it, he sort of set the bar for over the top solos when he broke out in the pop metal world.

-Justin

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Hmmm. I came across an older message by Rev. He said something about Disciple, and how he didn't know anything about Christian metal, or something.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]DISCIPLE?[/SIZE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Man. You obviously don't get out much do you ;]

[B]xDEATHSTARx[/B] -Death Metal mixed in with a few Metalcore signatures, but without any of the pop. Seven members. Three Singers. Two Guitarists. Bass. Drums. A few members no longer are in the band, but, that's what it was like on their last CD "We Are the Threat", which, unlike alot of albums from bands like this, got even heavier. Highly recommend this band, because, they rock. I'm not into alot of music like this, because of the stale repitition, but this band definitely doesn't go for the poppy chorus crap, and still manages to go in other genres like punk, but still keeps it "metal" or whatever. These guys rule.

[B]MyChildren MyBride[/B]- A band that I like to call "Alternative Metalcore". Basically, sort of like xDSx. Basically, while you still get punk mixed in with metal, you get no melodic crap. This band is another one of those "Call to Arms" straightedge bands, just as xDSx, and call out to men and women to stand up. :] These guys have a really nice sound, because of the fact that they have alot of deathmetal riffs and metalcore signatures, and the drummer doesn't use alot of double-eight bass rolls, but instead just flams the bass a few times to make a nice small touch, which is very effective, and then he actually uses drum beats! Oh noez! Something other than a constant doublebass, even though he does use it alot, which is evident in songs like "Boris the Blade". :]

[B]In Irons[/B]- I've mentioned them before, I think. They're another one of these Alternative Metalcore bands, again mixed in with Death metal. This band basically takes a bit of everything from their influences, to make one awesome sound. Dual vocals, one cookie monster vocalist, and another one that screams. The all-together sound is great. I've heard quite a few of the metalcore time signatures before, but these guys are yet another band that make it original.

[B]This Runs Through[/B]- This band probably doesn't belong here because of how much of their music is made up of punk and hardcore riffs, mixed in with harsh vocals and doublebass. They're the good version of Underoath, with some parts that sound like old underOATH. Spencer's voice is way better in this band, probably cause his voice matured and started sucking after the break-up of this band. The guitarists use alot of sad uplifiting riffs, that would be in a metalcore band liek old UnderOATH, and the drummer uses doublebass, just like a metalcore band would. So, for the most part. This is another metalcore band without any poppy choruses, but they do have harsh yet melodic bits.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"]Nah, I don't get out much. I used to think Flyleaf was Christian Metal. I was [I][B]that [/B][/I]stupid.

But as for what Billy said about Mastadon ripping out your ******* and making you eat it: tis' true. Mastadon is excellence at it's best. Despite hearing a select few songs, I feel the power of Mastadon while listening to them. I see why Billy practically foams at the mouth at the mere sound of the band..[/COLOR]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]They're Agalloch, Opeth, Moonsorrow, Swallow the Sun, and Wintersun. :]

Riiiiight Jake? :P[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well [I]someone's[/I] been to my Myspace!

Haha! Yes, my top favorites are:

[B]1. Agalloch
2. Opeth
3. Moonsorrow
4. Swallow the Sun
5. Wintersun[/B]

Keep in mind, the bottom two change somewhat often, but Agalloch, Opeth, and Moonsorrow have been my top three for a very long time. As you can see, I like transitional bands who write long, complex songs with lots of dynamics and atmosphere. Those three bands have all of these qualities in droves, they just accomplish them in different ways.

Swallow the Sun has made it onto the top list because I've really been in a doomy mood lately, and they're simply amazing at it. The atmosphere of their music is perfect for what I've been wanting lately. Wintersun is on there because, simply put, Jari is an absolute genius. His songs are godly. No power metal band gives me that "holy ****, I'm in awe of this" feeling like Wintersun does.

Now, I listen to a LOT of music. I mean a LOT. So if you want to know of any of the other stuff I'm into, just ask. And if you want suggestions in any specific genre, I can probably give you a pretty good list of bands (see, genres [I]are[/I] helpful).

Some of my other favorite bands are as follows. I've bolded the ones I'm particularly fond of, but I do enjoy and listen to all of these bands, and own CDs by most of them:

3 Inches of Blood, Absu, Aes Dana, [B]Agalloch[/B], [B]Alcest[/B], Alestorm, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, [B]Arkona[/B], Asmegin, Autumnal, Avrigus, [B]Battlelore[/B], [B]Bathory[/B], [B]Belenos[/B], [B]Blind Guardian[/B], Bloodbath, [B]Burzum[/B], [B]Candlemass[/B], Crom, Dark Forest, Demons & Wizards, Diabolical Masquerade, Dissection, Dunwich, [B]Draconian[/B], Drudkh, Edguy, Electric Wizard, Elite, [B]Eluveitie[/B], Emperor, [B]Ensiferum[/B], [B]Enslaved[/B], [B]Epheles[/B], Equilibrium, [B]Falkenbach[/B], Faustcoven, [B]Finntroll[/B], Forest Silence, [B]Funeral[/B], Gamma Ray, Gallhammer, Goatsnake, Great Vast Forest, [B]Grendel[/B], Hallowed Butchery, Hammers of Misfortune, [B]Hibria[/B], [B]Himinbjorg[/B], I, Iced Earth, [B]Immortal[/B], Insomnium, In the Woods..., Iron Maiden, [B]Isengard[/B], Isis, [B]Isole[/B], [B]Judas Priest[/B], [B]Kamelot[/B], Kampfar, King Diamond, Kiuas, Korpiklaani, [B]Krohm[/B], Leviathan, Lumsk, [B]Mael Mordha[/B], Månegarm, Mayhem, [B]Mithotyn[/B], [B]Moonsorrow[/B], Mouth of the Architect, My Dying Bride, Myrkgrav, Mystic Forest, Nachtmystium, [B]Nazgûl[/B], Negura Bunget, Nevermore, [B]Novembers Doom[/B], [B]October Falls*[/B], [B]Odroerir[/B], [B]Opeth[/B], [B]Otyg[/B], Parabstruse, Pelican, [B]Primordial[/B], [B]Rhapsody[/B], Satyricon, Savatage, Sirenia, [B]Skumring[/B], Suidakra, Summoning, [B]Swallow the Sun[/B], [B]Sworn[/B], Symphony X, [B]Taake[/B], The Lord Weird Slough Feg, The Sword, Thurisaz, Thyrfing, Tristania, [B]Twisted Tower Dire[/B], Tyr, Tyranny, Ulver, [B]Vandød[/B], [B]Vinterland[/B], Vintersorg, [B]Weakling[/B], [B]Windir[/B], [B]Wintersun[/B], Wolfchant, Wolven Ancestry, [B]Wolves in the Throne Room[/B], [B]Woods of Ypres[/B], Wovenhand, Wyrd, Xasthur.

[I]*A one-man acoustic neo-folk band that released one metal EP, hence it's inclusion on my list.[/I]

AND OH MY GOD, KAM - LISTEN TO THIS RIGHT NOW:

[url]www.myspace.com/fallentoruin[/url]

The band is called Primordial. They're another favorite of mine. They have a new song... go to that link and listen to the song Empire Falls and tell me if you like it. This is seriously one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard.

[COLOR="Red"]@ [B]Woah, Mann[/B] - please keep the metal thread discussion to metal bands only.
[/COLOR]

[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=56512035"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=56512035[/URL]

What do you guys think of this band Malastrana? I think they sound pretty cool. they just randomly sent me a friend request one day and I accepted. The longest bridge is a really good song I think. I like those sounds that go along with the guitar. I don't know what they are called. kinda sounds like a whale or something. Anyway I think they are really cool and y'all should check them out.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Consider Primordial my new favorite black metal band - these guys are ****ing amazing. The music is loaded with so much emotion and beauty. These guys are on Agalloch-level when it comes to emitting pure emotion in their music. The vocals are quite unique and awesome and the music is just all-around powerful. Indeed, some great stuff. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Inuyasha7271']My favorites currently are:
Behemoth, Dark Funeral, Finntroll, Opeth, and Otep. Love em all I still love the symphonic metal though you know like Nightwish, Epica, and Artosis.[/QUOTE]

Otep is not even remotely metal. They'd be a good band to discuss in the "Extreme/Heavy Music That Isn't Metal" thread.

[B]@ Digital Boy[/B], Primordial doesn't really play black metal any more. Their albums up until the Gathering Wilderness were black metal, albeit a very, very unique brand of it. Now it's sort of a doom/folk/black hybrid. Either way, it's incredibly unique, and absolutely amazing. You're right about the emotion in their music - it absolutely pours through your speakers like a tidal wave. Good lord, I love it. I cannot wait for their new album!!!