OtakuBoards

Heavy Metal: A Head Banger's Discussion Thread

Justin

[quote name='Jakehammaren']This Godless Endeavor is an absolutely f***ing genius album. Jeff Loomis is a machine.[/QUOTE]

Final Product and Enemies of Reality is SEX. He has a really good voice that fits great with the instrumentals perfectly(especially the rhythm guitar). I think they just jumped over Amon Amarth as awesome new metal band I discovered in the last two months.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but it's on my list for albums to review. I've already read and heard a lot of great things about it.

You have done damage to me, Jake. I've found that I can no longer live without Agalloch in my life.

Curator's new albums is going to be released online early in 2008. Originally, I was suppose to be handling all the vocal duties, but the drummer wants some of his associates on it, as well. So, I'll probably only be handling three songs. But I'll make sure that my stuff is the stuff that goes up.

The other vocalists that are going to be on the record are really not good at all. I'm kind of disapointed by DJ's decision to permit that.

-Justin

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="77656"]Well, I bought a copy of Metal Maniac magazine at a store yesterday. I bought it to help me further indulge myself in metal. And I read a few articles. They even interviewed a bunch of artist's, but the only familiar bands I saw were Agalloch, Cattle Decpitation, Exodus, Ackercocke and Evergreen Terrace. A few of which I've only heard of. And I also found out that Exodus and Dethklok have something in common. The video for Riot Act was filmed a bit by Jon Shnepp, and so were things in Dehtklok.

Even if the magazine isn't a good source for metal, I found it pretty useful. My cousin told me he would be able to burn me some copies of metal bands that are really good, about a week or so ago. (Nevermore, and some other bands I've heard talk about on OB from Jake and various others.)[spoiler]Ironically my cousin's name is Jake, coincidence?[/spoiler]

So I'll ask him next time I got some burnables and he's here.[/COLOR]

To tell you the truth I don't really like the direction metal is heading in.With all these hardcore bands that sound pretty much the same to me, and once one band does something new all these other bands just start to emerge and sound the same having a cookie cutter effect.As the days go by I find myself each day listening to other types of music other than metal itself.I hope in the future this will soon all change, but for now there seems to be no hope for the genre of metal.

[COLOR="77656"]Today Youtube worked at my school for once, anyways I got a chance to listen to 2 Agalloch songs. Not Unlike the Waves and She Painted (something?) Across the Sky part 1. I didn't like Not Unlike the Waves as much as the latter but they were both excellant songs. Now I want an album SO BADLY, but I doubt FYE sells them, or any other store here for that matter.

I also had the chace to listen to a minutes or so worth of wintersun. I forgot the name of the song, but they were imense. Next time I'm at the school library I'll look up some other bands like Nevermore, Opeth and Blind Guardian. I'm really amped to buy an album, if only I had the money.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Gozu']To tell you the truth I don't really like the direction metal is heading in.With all these hardcore bands that sound pretty much the same to me, and once one band does something new all these other bands just start to emerge and sound the same having a cookie cutter effect.As the days go by I find myself each day listening to other types of music other than metal itself.I hope in the future this will soon all change, but for now there seems to be no hope for the genre of metal.[/QUOTE]

You obviously don't listen to metal, or you'd know that wasn't true at all. It's called the [I]underground[/I]. Hell, you don't even have to search the underground for great metal - there are some awesome mainstream bands as well (Opeth, Blind Guardian, and Finntroll are a few great ones that have been brought up in this thread). Anyone who says metal is dead or dying is only watching MTV and reading Revolver.

And Premonition, I'm sure you can find Agalloch at FYE. They sell Agalloch albums at Best Buy, so they aren't that hard to find, man.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']And Premonition, I'm sure you can find Agalloch at FYE. They sell Agalloch albums at Best Buy, so they aren't that hard to find, man.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I don't know what kind of crazy Best Buy you go to. They didn't have it at Best Buy or Planet Music (Fye) when I went. I had to get The Mantle and Ashes Against the Grain at an underground record store, and I got Pale Folklore on Amazon. (cost me a clean 30 cuz I accidentally did overnight shipping, but it was worth it!!!)[/COLOR]

I'v noticed over the past few years that metal has kinda changed direction. Their are many different types of metal. You've got black metal,thrash metal,screamo metal,new age metal,nu metal(whitch iv noticed is going down bands like slipknot broke up Korn changed thier sound).Alot of the other metal kinda died out like hair metal,and techno metal.
But back to my point iv noticed alot more scremo metal then anything else.Im not really complaining somes not bad but their is a point just like theirs a point when thrash metal loses it.
Im not really concerned witht he direction its heading as long as we have people who support and listen to it their will always be metal.

Another topic is why so many people dispise metal.Mny of these people include very religous even thoug their is christain metal.They find it to be evil or otherwise.Im not saying metal is perfect you'll get a band that just goes easily over the line and makes no sence what so ever. I love metal with a message and heat i n it.

[quote name='Crono']I'v noticed over the past few years that metal has kinda changed direction. Their are many different types of metal. You've got black metal,thrash metal,screamo metal,new age metal,nu metal(whitch iv noticed is going down bands like slipknot broke up Korn changed thier sound).Alot of the other metal kinda died out like hair metal,and techno metal.
But back to my point iv noticed alot more scremo metal then anything else.Im not really complaining somes not bad but their is a point just like theirs a point when thrash metal loses it.
Im not really concerned witht he direction its heading as long as we have people who support and listen to it their will always be metal.

Another topic is why so many people dispise metal.Mny of these people include very religous even thoug their is christain metal.They find it to be evil or otherwise.Im not saying metal is perfect you'll get a band that just goes easily over the line and makes no sence what so ever. I love metal with a message and heat i n it.[/QUOTE]

This post is as hilarious as it is depressing.

Actually, I really hope this was just a bad joke.

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Screamo Metal sounds like it would be awesome. XD

Oddly enough, that seems to be kind of the direction that Circle Takes the Square is taking with their new record. There's a new song on youtube that sounds like it's half hardcore and half Isis.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]That one was by far my favorite, though, so I've got high hopes for the new genre XD [/COLOR]

[QUOTE]This post is as hilarious as it is depressing.

Actually, I really hope this was just a bad joke.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="77656"]I hope so too. I saw him use Nu-Metal as a genre and instantly I knew he was like me. Now I just shut my mouth. Besides I can't read the guys post anyways, his grammar stinks.

Today my friend gotpissed because I complaiend about metalcore. i jsut don't like it. Then myf riend Brooke lashed on me because I'm picky about genres. I'm not picky, I just hate it when my friends get stuff wrong. It would help if they knew I don't know about genres I just know what genre a certain band is. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']You obviously don't listen to metal, or you'd know that wasn't true at all. It's called the [I]underground[/I]. Hell, you don't even have to search the underground for great metal - there are some awesome mainstream bands as well (Opeth, Blind Guardian, and Finntroll are a few great ones that have been brought up in this thread). Anyone who says metal is dead or dying is only watching MTV and reading Revolver.

And Premonition, I'm sure you can find Agalloch at FYE. They sell Agalloch albums at Best Buy, so they aren't that hard to find, man.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to get all worked up over this man.In my eyes metal is dead, because not too many metal bands these days bring something new, but there are definitely some out there, I'm not going to go into details, but there are some that are original.But for your information I do listen to metal just not like I youst to because I think it got boring and I got introduced to different types of music and also for the record I hate MTV and Revolver, so don't get going saying things when you don't know what you're talking about.It's just an opinion man, so just relax lol.

[QUOTE]In my eyes metal is dead, because not too many metal bands these days bring something new[/QUOTE]

Uh oh....

Anyway I just gotta new Ipod touch and I don't have much metal on there...maybe like 20 bands roughly. So I wanna spice it up a bit.

I need a FAST(like dragonforce+) Thrash band
A great Black Metal Band(one that sounds like Old Mans Child)
And something Sludge

All preferably stuff you can pick up at best buy.

[font=arial][size=1]The only reason why we're all trolling you to different extents is because that when a band goes off into nu-metal or screamo territory, they're not a metal band. They may be inspired by actual metal music or whatever, but that's like saying Opeth is a jazz band because they introduce some jazz influences in their music. We're all kind of tired of this constantly coming up.

Isis, Baroness, and Kylesa are pretty much the only metal bands I listen to. I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread half the time. We're all just passionate about music here and when someone as uncaring as you apparently are comes around, it gets us a little angry.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]The only reason why we're all trolling you to different extents is because that when a band goes off into nu-metal or screamo territory, they're not a metal band. They may be inspired by actual metal music or whatever, but that's like saying Opeth is a jazz band because they introduce some jazz influences in their music. We're all kind of tired of this constantly coming up.

Isis, Baroness, and Kylesa are pretty much the only metal bands I listen to. I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread half the time. We're all just passionate about music here and when someone as uncaring as you apparently are comes around, it gets us a little angry.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Listen man I'm not trying start any trouble I'm just expressing my opinion, that's why people go to forums is to express their opinions about a subject whether it's positive or negative.And I'm not saying that a band that is apart of the metal genre strictly plays metal music I'm saying I like it when bands like Opeth and Meshuggah play metal with jazz influences it just seems to me that all the real good bands are mostly underground and that there is only a handful of good mainstream bands.So like I said before I'm not trying to start any trouble, and sorry if I got anyone worked up over what I said.My apologies.

[quote name='Gozu']Listen man I'm not trying start any trouble I'm just expressing my opinion, that's why people go to forums is to express their opinions about a subject whether it's positive or negative.And I'm not saying that a band that is apart of the metal genre strictly plays metal music I'm saying I like it when bands like Opeth and Meshuggah play metal with jazz influences it just seems to me that all the real good bands are mostly underground and that there is only a handful of good mainstream bands.So like I said before I'm not trying to start any trouble, and sorry if I got anyone worked up over what I said.My apologies.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Your opinions just don't seem to have decent foundation. At least not if you'd read the rest of the thread. Not to disrepect you. I mean our favorites lists are very similar XD[/COLOR]

I don't care I'm just not going to go in this thread anymore and just keep things plain and simple now, but I do have a tendency to not read things that contribute to the topic at hand so sorry to anyone who I got worked up over my post and hope that we can push this behind us and colleagues.

[COLOR="77656"]Metal, dead? You just don't have faith or ears I guess.. Metal is stronger now in my eyes than it ever was. Or go to the extereme not-metal thread.

Anwyays, tomorrow I'm going to F.Y.E. I'm going to find an Agalloch album. Fair to midland is better for me. But I'll nag out a second album, maybe I can get two and listen to them. [/COLOR]