OtakuBoards

The Extreme/Heavy Music That Isn't Metal Thread!

Jakehammaren

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Flyleaf is just bad. Another crappy Christian Post-loser-hardcore band that can't come up with something actually original. No offense.

But They're just another pop-rock group like Evanescence... [B]Eyes Set To Kill[/B] is way better than Flyleaf anyday.

This thread doesn't consist of actual heavy or extreme music that isn't metal... just whiny bands, and "hard rock" bands that aren't "heavy"..>_<

Let's talk about... [B]From A Second Story Window[/B]. Death-metal-mathcore. :D Or atleast, those are the genres that come to mind. I'm sure they're not metal, lol, so here's the thread for them. I'd call this music...music for people with short-attention-spans...bad patience... ADD, etc. So, indeed. I like it. I can listen to every song by them and like it, because of the fact that...it's got so many bits. And I love every single breakdown, and I'm really into the story of the songs... The lyrics are the best story I've heard since some of Co&Ca's music (veiw Coheed and Cambria thread), and I'm not sure what this means... but...

"Kiss the flames of Loki's Blade." :D Sounds awesome, yes?

And also, I'd like a conversation to start about [B]The Dillinger Escape Plan[/B]. I recently got a few songs of theirs, that I havn't heard... Well, I heard one, and fro mwhat I heard I liked. I'll have to take some time to listen to the rest on my iPod, but in the mean time, tell me more about this band.

Progressive- mathcore maybe?

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font=arial][size=1]Dude, all you listen to is talentless Christian Post-Hardcore/Metalcore bull-****. I'd watch it if I were you. This isn't about me supporting Flyleaf, that's not the case AT ALL. We just don't need hypocrisy in THIS thread either. And we'll talk about DEP once I get over the shock of you [i]actually listening to good music.[/i]

With all these mentions of Flyleaf, I have to bring up Made Out of Babies. Julie Christmas is my favorite female vocalist, she goes from a cute mousey voice to full on screams. Combine this with some "alternative metal" and you have a really solid band. Julie's also in a post-metal band called Battle of Mice along with dudes from Isis, Red Sparowes, and I think Neurosis. Both are pretty high on the list of bands I adore and have a similar (but a million times better!) sound to Flyleaf.

And HORSE the Band is hilarious live, hahaha![/font][/size]

DEP was more or less just a standard metalcore band, in their vein of it. Comparable to Converge, Botch, and later Norma Jean. Nowadays, they're more of an experimental post hardcore band. But calling them progressive is off quite a bit.

Prog. requires at least some basic knowledge of jazz and jazz structure. None of that exists in DEP.

FASSW...meh...another something-core band that is of no use to me.

-Justin

[quote name='Kam']DEP was more or less just a standard metalcore band, in their vein of it. Comparable to Converge, Botch, and later Norma Jean. Nowadays, they're more of an experimental post hardcore band. But calling them progressive is off quite a bit.

Prog. requires at least some basic knowledge of jazz and jazz structure. None of that exists in DEP.

FASSW...meh...another something-core band that is of no use to me.

-Justin[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Now that I'm actually listening to DEP, I can hear that there isn't any prog-bits, but it's pretty clear that DEP is what we call zeh "Mathcore". Quite a nice genre, but FASSW is a mathcore band, as well. So, you might not like the genre in general, but the bands are sometimes totally different that they can't be compared, except of course, for the math breakdowns that make it mathcore.

FASSW is just a taste of mine. Such as The Number 12, bands like Converge...etc.

:] Now let's move on to a band from 1998 ( I believe), that are post-hardcore and metalcore, with a few twists, but mainly can just be called metalcore. now, I don't listen to this band all that much, but I do have a few albums of theirs. Some songs are good, some just suck. What do you guys think of-

[B]Poison the Well[/B], [I]anyone?[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

No, my friend. DEP may have bits of mathcore influence. But check out their entire catalogue, minus the last two albums. You'll find them, on the whole, much more comparable to Botch, Converge, and...ah, yes...the finer days of Poison the Well. That is to say, experimental metal/hardcore. In the case of DEP, it's more on the hardcore side.

Speaking of bands that sacrificed their experimental hardcore for dumb ****...enter Poison the Well. Both they and DEP used to be big favorites of mine. And they have both let me, and the majority of their original fanbase, down.

You should listen to 'O, God the Aftermath' by Norma Jean. I'e said it here before, that's the best experimental hardcore record since the early albums of Converge.

-Justin

[font=arial][size=1]He didn't say anything about new or old DEP, Kam. (But he did say something about math breakdowns... WHAT?!) I have to say, Miss Machine is complete trash, I don't really like their old self-titled either. Calculating Infinity is my favorite of their releases, but their EP's are really good too. The stuff in there is extremely mathcore/math metal/whatever. Miss Machine felt dumbed down in comparison and I wonder if that's what you were talking about. Ire Works looks promising as hell, though.

I don't really know how you can call Norma Jean experimental, either. O' God the Aftermath was just an example of a metalcore band actually doing something RIGHT. I love how they went right back to generic bs on Redeemer, though.

Also, does the band really roll dice to choose time signatures for their songs? I've read that in a few places. (LAAAAAATE EDIT: I mean DEP here.)[/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Miss Machine [I]is crap[/I]. >_< I really like Calculating Infinity, though, and parts of their s/t. And... Aren't Converge mathcore too? Despite the punk sound of some of their songs...

I havn't looked into Poison the Well's new stuff, after hearing their single "Letter Thing", I kind of don't care what it sounds like.

And as far as "O' God, The Aftermath"... duh I've listened to it. It's one of the best metalcore albums... ever (?) in my book, though Norma Jean isn't exactly one of my favorite bands, and plus there is alot of repitition in songs on that album (which is kind of why they're not one of my top favorites)... But it's way better than Redeemer, which has alot of its cliche' moments, but I can stand to sit down and listen to a few of the songs on the album, and won't lie...some of the catchy parts are stuck in my head >_<.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]Some people seem to be forgetting that rock bands aren't the only artists who make extreme/heavy music.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]The Prodigy[/B] have been around for almost twenty years now, and with each new album, their sound just gets heavier and more intense. To quote Liam Howlett, it's simply, "[B]bass, beats, and bullocks[/B]." Badass, as well.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Also, [B]Venetian Snares[/B] has been pushing the envelope when it comes to abrasively extreme electronic music for quite some time now. [B]Rossz Csillag Alatt Szuletett[/B] is an epic and earth-movingly-powerful album that can be enjoyed by all walks of life in the music world.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray]Forgive my spelling... There's no spell check on this computer.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]The Dillinger Escape Plan[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]abrasively extreme electronic music[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]Say hello to Error ([url]http://www.myspace.com/errorband[/url]). The vocalist (Greg) from DEP accompanied by heavy electronic beats, rather than recordings of musical instruments falling down staircases ([spoiler]I kid[/spoiler]). Believe it or not, Tony turned me on to this band. Weeeird.

So yeah, maybe we can all find common ground? hahaha[/font][/size]

Eh, I'll concede on DEP. Not because I agree, but because I don't feel like disputing the finer point of mathcore. I prefer math metal, myself.

I do, however, still consider O, God the Aftermath to be the best experimental metalcore album since early Converge. Why experimental? For the same reasons DEP, Botch, Converge, and Poison the Well all are/were: Arrangement and time signatures.

Non-experimental metalcore bands are, in varying interpretations of the genre, Hatebreed, Zao, Darkest Hour, Chimera, and so on. Understand, however, that I don't enjoy most of these bands. As I've said in the metal thread, I find them to be just a cheapening of true metal.

However, experimental metal/hardcore bands I can dig. For instance, early DEP, early Poison the Well, Botch, most Converge, and "O, God the Aftermath" Norma Jean. I also enjoy earlier forms of hardcore like the Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today and Agnostic Front. And hardcore punk, Minor Threat, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, the Misfits, blah, blah, blah.

I just think new DEP and Poison the Well are disapointing. It pales compared to their previous work.

-Justin

You just remember Jake...false metal lurks around every corner. And it seeks you out in your slumber. It seeks to pillage the halls of the highest metal orders, and to rape the most unwilling of subgenres.

I heard a folk metalcore band just last week, and I imagined you feeling a discomfitting itch in your ear. I just had to laugh at them.

-Justin

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Laaaameeee. :] Well lately. I've been making a list of albums to buy before Christmas, and a few albums and EPs I have yet to get are from these bands. Most of these bands are emotive hardcore, and some are mathcore.

Saetia
Circle Takes the Square
The Blood Brothers
Head Wound City
Envy
HeavyHeavyLowLow
Gospel
Iwouldsetmyselfonfireforyou
pg. 99
Protest the Hero

Now, please tell me somebody here has heard of any of these bands... Argh. Tell me if they're good or not... I know kevin knows some, he's told me about three of them before.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]I've been listening to a lot of gabber lately. Also sometimes spelt gabba. Anyone on here ever heard of it? It's a genre of dance music but it's synonymous title is hardcore. In the dance music scene it is actually referred to just as 'hardcore'.

Originates from Amsterdam, the city of Rotterdam actually.... some people may be familiar with the group Rotterdam Terror Corps.

I'm absolutely obsessed with the stuff, it sounds like being kicked in the face with a steel cap boot and features a lot of scary movie samples and nasty phrases. It's really taken off here in Brisbane. We get all the international gabber acts for parties here. Anyone else on these boards know what i'm talking about?

[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Ravenstorture][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=DarkGreen]Anyone else on these boards know what i'm talking about?[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]What a laughable question.

Of course, I know what you're talking about. I listen to all forms of dance music, including gabber. I prefer hardstyle to gabber, though the two are very similar.

[B]Ravenstorture[/B], have you per chance heard the song "On The Floor" by [B]DJ Caffeine[/B]? It's not necessarily gabber or hardstyle, but it's a great song, nonetheless. I'd imagine you'd enjoy it.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Stuff.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]Mathcore bands? None of those are mathcore. Quit going out of your way to mention genres when you FAIL at it.

And yes, I think I would know about all those bands because I told you about ALL of them, except for Blood Brothers, HHLL, and Head Wound City. HWC sucks, right off the bat. It has members of Blood Brothers and The Locust in it and those respective bands are FAR better than HWC.

You're not going to like Saetia. I don't even like them anymore. And I hope you at least listen to some more pg.99 before you pick up one of their cd's or something, they're really tough to get into.

The rest are good and I think you'll like them. Quit copying my music taste![/font][/size]

[B]@ Whoa, Mann [/B] You didn't think anyone would notice that you copied his list almost exactly?

On topic...sorta...Mathcore is a subsubgenre of metal core right? I really enjoy the few metalcore bands I heard(curl up and die,the locust,mudvayne).

[quote name='Gunslinger'][COLOR="77656"]I don't really like Mudvayne, and for the record, they're not Metalcore, they're Nu-Metal. But the new album For the People By the People looks interesting. Dull Boy is actually a good Mudvayne song.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Mudvayne are an American alternative metal band. Their music has been described by drummer Matthew McDonough as math metal[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Mathcore (also known as technical metalcore, technical hardcore, and [B]math metal[/B]) is a style of metalcore recognized for a high level of technical musicianship.[/QUOTE]

Um riiight.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']On topic...sorta...Mathcore is a subsubgenre of metal core right? I really enjoy the few metalcore bands I heard(curl up and die,the locust,mudvayne).[/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]Woah, woah, WOAH.

I haven't heard too much Curl Up and Die, they're terrible, but I believe you're right in calling them metalcore.

The Locust is a mixture of Speed Punk and Grindcore. I have no idea how you can hear The Locust's music and think anything even vaguely metal-related.

And... Mudvayne? Metalcore?! WHAT?!

For a good idea of what metalcore is, check out Botch. They do it and they do it RIGHT.

For a good idea of Mathcore, there can only be one: The Dillinger Escape Plan. They're all over this thread, it's really funny. In fact their whole new album is up on their myspace right now.

Mathcore bands that are also of note are The Number Twelve Looks Like You and Daughters. Neither of those are totally mathcore though and borrow ideas from some other genres, but mathcore is a vague genre anyway.[/font][/size]