OtakuBoards

The Extreme/Heavy Music That Isn't Metal Thread!

Jakehammaren

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]
Mr Maul, question not answered because query not yet investigated. I know Dj Caffeine as sort of a hard housy-type dj but the song you mentioned I have not been able to get at yet.

At the risk of sounding picky I'd have to say that lately tracks have to be pretty amazing to catch my ear if they are slow enough to be in the hard house/hardstyle genre. Even most of the gabber I listen to is too slow but the sound of it is exciting enough. That said, Yoji Biomehanika is one of my all time favourite djs and indeed the one that got me into this whole dance music thing, and he is hard house/hard dance.

Then I found Scott Brown... and that was when I became a raver.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I bought the new Avenged Sevenfold album the new Serj Malkian album and the new puscifer album. They are all pretty good but Puscifer is obviously my favorite.

[B]Pusicfer[/B]
General Alternative rock goodness. I love the whole album every song

[B]Av7x[/B]
the Lyrics are meh but the guitar is still amazing(in my opinion) so I listen through some of it.

[B]Serj[/B]
The lyrics are great but he isn't as heavy as he used to be. That's kind of disappointing.

This is my synopsis.

[quote name='Kam']You mean Serj isn't as heavy as System. He is working on a different project now. It isn't System, therefore it shouldn't really sound like System.

-Justin[/QUOTE]

It still sounds like system just a bit softer and with different lyrical ideas. At least to me it seems that way. It's still really good music.

[COLOR="77656"]Serj is excellent. He definitely isn't a generic voice/artist, he's unique and he bring good taste to a genre which I've been losing faith in.

Maynard of Pusicfer is actually friends with Paten Oswald from Ratatou. Maynard is amazing, and tool is pretty cool so Pusifer gets an Ain my books. ****, I'm still laughing at Cuntry Boner. So Avenged, what are the best songs on Elect the Dead and Avenged Sevenfold? [/COLOR]

I'm liking Critical Acclaim from Avenged Sevenfold. It has a really really REALLY nice riff. Like REALLY nice. Also I like it when he talks about the soldiers dying for pathetic lifestyles...that's something I think we all can relate too. The vocal style is different. I don't know if I like it yet.

Serj kept getting more melodic with each successive SOAD album and now he is uber melodic on his solo album. I like it though. It sounds really beautiful actually. Lie lie lie is my favorite song from that album as of yet. I haven't really dug into either album yet.

I have still been sidetracked by LTE and Puscifers new album(which is ****ing sex). Maynard is my favorite vocalist in the world so He can do no wrong in my eyes.

Oh yea does anyone here listen to Dog Fashion Disco?

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I just got into Amon Amarth, after hearing alot of "you'd like them, man"s...Bleehh. Yes, they're very nice, indeed. Good metalcore.

And Light this City, which is a teenage version of Arch Enemy, which is why I like them. They have the youth and hotness that AE doesn't have, aha.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

HELL NO! Amon Amarth is not metalcore. Dude...whoa...that hurt my feelings.

They belong over in the heavy metal thread. Dude, I think I had something else to say, but you just disturbed me at the sub-metallic level.

I won't get into the problems with what you said about LTC or AE, but I will say they both belong over there, as well.

Dude...I have control. But lock your doors and board up your windows. Jake will be coming to pillage your home and end your bloodline forever.

-Justin

[QUOTE]I just got into Amon Amarth, after hearing alot of "you'd like them, man"s...Bleehh. Yes, they're very nice, indeed. Good metalcore.[/QUOTE]

That is what you just did to me.
[IMG]http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Aboywearingvans/RE3.gif[/IMG]

WOW you can't possibly be serious. If that was a joke it certainly wasn't funny...have you ever actually heard metal core? Jesus christ this is worse than this guy I know who was pressed over MCR being death metal...

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I feel absolutely obligated to bring up Circle Takes the Square. I first heard of them from Goodbye, Face who calls them his favorite band, and I think I tried to listen once long ago and went 'eww screamo' or something, but I was listening to Portugal. The Man and discovered that they were going on tour with Circle takes the Square, so I decided to give the ol tic-tac-toe another try.

i gotta say, I'm blown away. Kill the Switch is on of the most epic things I've heard in a while, and interesting. I don't find the vocals annoying at all - they are quite viceral and cool, and the songs are just all-around heavy-hitting. For a segment of Kill the Switch I simply had to stop all else and listen to it solely - blown away I might say. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I just got into Amon Amarth, after hearing alot of "you'd like them, man"s...Bleehh. Yes, they're very nice, indeed. Good metalcore.

And Light this City, which is a teenage version of Arch Enemy, which is why I like them. They have the youth and hotness that AE doesn't have, aha.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

You've just embodied everything I hate about Hot Topic kids. I've sat and watched while tight-panted, comb-overed, eye-linered xcorex posers snatch up Amon Amarth and brandish them unabashedly upon their fad wagon of anti-integrity. I've watched, and I've wept tears of Heathen rage at the outrage of it all. I blame that accursed Sounds of the Underground tour to begin with, which had Amon Amarth touring with Underoath and As I Lay Dying (or whatever ****** ****ing garbage xscenexcorex bands they were, it doesn't matter). Suddenly, all these idiots who are into bands for fashion instead of music decide that Amon Amarth must be cool because they're sharing the stage with these worthless noise-producing baboons.

Amon Amarth is not metalcore. Not in the slightest. The only reason xcorex kids are even involved with them is Hot Topic and the idiots at Metal Blade Records. Amon Amarth writes high-quality death metal with complex, oceanic song structures, well-thought-out chord progressions, and lyrics based on something substantial - culture, honor, pride, etc. MALLCORE LACKS ALL OF THESE THINGS.

It's not that hard to learn something about music. It's really not. Five minutes - FIVE ****ING MINUTES - of reading basic English would've prevented your offensively blatant and nearly violent ignorance.

No, this is not a question of mistaking subgenres. It's not. It's a question of misrepresenting and polluting a culture that I care very deeply about. Metal is not just a form of music; it is a culture, with it's own languages, it's own hierarchies... it is an entire world unto itself. A world that is very important to me - very, very important, to a level I'm positively certain you'll never understand. But Jesus ****ing Christ, man, don't be an ignorant, idiotic, moronic, music-hating scener who pollutes and corrupts the reputation of a good metal band because you think it's funny. Don't be one of those people (I know that was not your intention, but there are a lot of people who's it is).

Amon Amarth is a death metal band. Got it? D-E-A-T-H M-E-T-A-L. It's not that base, simian, filthy excuse for music that gets called Metalcore these days. When listening to them, do you hear uninventive song structures? No. Do you hear whiny vocals and contrived lyrics about middle-school level politics and failed relationships? No. Do you hear repetitive breakdowns chugged over and over again on the E string? No. Do you hear annoying tri-tones that are misused and abused for the sake of being dissonant without any thought or theory behind it? No. THEN IT'S NOT ****ING METALCORE, and by the balls of Odin, you had better get it straight from now on.

Ugh. Philistines. You all make me sick.

[font=arial][size=1]Deus, I almost like you as a person now. Almost. :D

Circle went through a huge line-up change with delayed their album that was supposed to come out this year, I was pissed, but I completely understand. The new members supposedly do their respective jobs very well, and Drew and Kathy are still in the band, so what do I care. So, hopefully, they'll have a new album next year. As the Roots Undo as a whole is epic, and you should get it. However, it is not epic enough to last for five years, and I really wish they at least got an EP together or something instead of just going back on their word every year.

And I feel awful that I missed another completely WRONG statement by Nomura. ;_;[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Deus, I almost like you as a person now. Almost. :D

Circle went through a huge line-up change with delayed their album that was supposed to come out this year, I was pissed, but I completely understand. The new members supposedly do their respective jobs very well, and Drew and Kathy are still in the band, so what do I care. So, hopefully, they'll have a new album next year. As the Roots Undo as a whole is epic, and you should get it. However, it is not epic enough to last for five years, and I really wish they at least got an EP together or something instead of just going back on their word every year.

And I feel awful that I missed another completely WRONG statement by Nomura. ;_;[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oh come now, i still call TMV the best band ever, so you can't start repecting me and stuff or you might ruin your image XD

In any event, after having heard all the songs on their myspace, purevolume, and website I can safely call them epic-amazing-magic. All of their songs are just brutally beautiful - my favorite is probably Non-Objective Portrait of Ruin (I think theat was it) though the entire second half of Same Shade of Concrete would havve been the most epic win evar were it not for that utterly annoying repetitive WTFeverthatis noise ringing over everything >_<[/COLOR]

I was hoping Jake would cover this, but he didn't, so I will.

Metal has nothing to do with your perceived 'youth and hotness.' It's about original, powerful music, and has absolutely nothing to do with age or beauty. The fact that Light This City sounds like Arch Enemy is the [i]problem[/i] with them...they aren't original.

This isn't pop music. It isn't a world in which you get honor for clinging to another bands coattails and milking the genre for everything it's worth. This is metal. You're remembered for your contribution to the advancement of the cause.

Your mistake about Amon Amarth showed your ignorance. But ignorance is a correctable problem. But what you said about Arch Enemy being of less value to you than Light This City, due simply to LTC's "youth and hotness", is what sickened me. That shows that you're just a tool of the machine. And it is that machine that true metal stands against. It is why we exist. We are the undercurrent that keeps the river flowing, and drowns out the weak.

I hate to deride you again, but I hate more that you [i]needed[/i] it.

-Justin

This thread killed me a little inside...

Anyway I listened to AV7X news album a bit more. Brompton is a really good song. Dear God is a really weird country song. Overall it's a good album but not as good as City of Evil. Way better than the metal core stuff though.

[quote name='Kam']I was hoping Jake would cover this, but he didn't, so I will.

Metal has nothing to do with your perceived 'youth and hotness.' It's about original, powerful music, and has absolutely nothing to do with age or beauty. The fact that Light This City sounds like Arch Enemy is the [i]problem[/i] with them...they aren't original.

This isn't pop music. It isn't a world in which you get honor for clinging to another bands coattails and milking the genre for everything it's worth. This is metal. You're remembered for your contribution to the advancement of the cause.

Your mistake about Amon Amarth showed your ignorance. But ignorance is a correctable problem. But what you said about Arch Enemy being of less value to you than Light This City, due simply to LTC's "youth and hotness", is what sickened me. That shows that you're just a tool of the machine. And it is that machine that true metal stands against. It is why we exist. We are the undercurrent that keeps the river flowing, and drowns out the weak.

I hate to deride you again, but I hate more that you [i]needed[/i] it.

-Justin[/QUOTE]

And my respect for you advances even further, warrior. Eloquently put indeed.

And I may have mentioned all this had I actually managed to get past the Amon Amarth statement. :p

[color="#777656"]
[QUOTE]This isn't pop music. It isn't a world in which you get honor for clinging to another bands coattails and milking the genre for everything it's worth. This is metal. You're remembered for your contribution to the advancement of the cause.[/QUOTE]

Metal is like cures for cancer, the better the advancements, the better the genre becomes. Like a human without cancer is better off.

I'm sorry, but I feel that's the truth. Youth and Hotness is best left to Birtney Spears and all of those girls kid. As for metal, it's all about the playing. ****, you should treat every genre like that. I don't the big deal, if you wanted looks to come out of music, google pics of artists. But please, don't say that looks and all that stuff make something better/worse, that's just stupid.

But back to what really matters, music.

I made a new playlists, and I chopped off the excess fat, or the bad songs to be more prescise. I have some good metal bands in there as well. But I still have some songs left, so I'm going to fish through the metal thread sometime and get some great bands to search for. But I've got a few songs on there that are pretty good.[/COLOR]

Looks are irrelevant in music...I mean we use the sense of hearing to get entertainment from the medium and not the sense of sight so what the hell do the people need to look pretty for? Maynard James Keenan is one of the ugliest guys Ive ever seen in my life but that doesn't matter when I am listening to the amazing things that come from his mouth.

I am obsessed with a A Perfect Circle again...I was whoring on Puscifer for a while but then I heard the package and...well I am re hooked.

Oh yea and Mudvayne's new album is coming the 27th of November! I am excited!

[COLOR="77656"][QUOTE]Maynard James Keenan is one of the ugliest guys Ive ever seen in my life but that doesn't matter when I am listening to the amazing things that come from his mouth.[/QUOTE]

I second that. He looks like he got hit with an ugly stick and got humped by a manatee.

Anyways, KoRn... I've revisited the latest album and I realized, I like it. Despite the reviews I've seen, I like the album. I see it's inner briliance. People I know siad it doesn't sound like KoRn used to, but ya know what? That's kind of good in this album. I like the fact that the nu-metal side of Korn is hardly here, well the hip-hop influence part. >_>

[B]Here is a review I never put on my wordpress, because I forgot my account details.[/B]

When I revisit albums, I start to listen to the songs I didn't like or pay attention to before, and I regret not listening to some of these songs before. KorRn's latest, untitled album is just one of those said albums.

Killing, which is a fast-paced songs baout murder, iis one of the best songs on the allbum. But the best part comes at the end when it goes into a gut-wrenching, metal-style vocal party that pleases my ears. The lead singer of Korn would be good in a doom metal band actually.

Ever, is one fo teh more epic tracks of the album. It is also fast-paced, but it has a lot more flavor, and drums that stand out more. And there is Starting Over, the opening to the album. I used to semi-like it, but now I really like it. I don't know why, but after listening to a different album, this one seems tons of a lot better.

If you like nu-metal, and you have some money to blow off, buy the album. And with the songs lyrics, second-glance shows that this could actually be tranlsated into aconcept album, despite it's lack of solid characters and plot-line.

The songs Killing, and Love & Luxery seem to go together. As well as Hushabye, a soft sogn with a creepy feeling, that gets better at the last minute. The atmosphere is creepy in this CD, except for some songs like Evoloution and Kiss. The Intro just makes me shudder, for it is reminescint of an abanded and haunted circus.

Even though I don't like nu-metal much anymore, this album gets a [B]B+[/B]. It's not perfect, but it has value, inner value mostly. But it's there. Listen to it more than 5 times and it gets better.

And if you can, go on yourube and look up Hold On's video. It's actually pretty funny. Despite the lyrics about a monster and holding on for what seems dear life, the video is about bull-riding... >_>[/COLOR]

So anyone know what Maynards next project will be? He just finished up Puscifers new album not long ago so he's gotta be doing something new. I personally think he should do some more work with A Perfect Circle. Since he hasn't made an album with them in a while and they are probably the most talented of the three bands he runs as of now.

[quote name='Avenged666fold']So anyone know what Maynards next project will be? He just finished up Puscifers new album not long ago so he's gotta be doing something new. I personally think he should do some more work with A Perfect Circle. Since he hasn't made an album with them in a while and they are probably the most talented of the three bands he runs as of now.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I am a big Tool fan, but I own 1 album of A Perfect Circle and it is my least favorie album in my collection. I fid it unlistenable. Just too ****ing boring, and I listen to piano melodies.

As for Maynard, he just does whatever he wants. Prolly gunna round off all the intense touring and go back to his vineyard. Also, if you think he's ugly, it's just cuz he's getting on in years (I'm pretty sure he's about 50) but if you look at pics from the early 90s he's a hot dewd. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I am a big Tool fan, but I own 1 album of A Perfect Circle and it is my least favorie album in my collection. I fid it unlistenable. Just too ****ing boring, and I listen to piano melodies.

As for Maynard, he just does whatever he wants. Prolly gunna round off all the intense touring and go back to his vineyard. Also, if you think he's ugly, it's just cuz he's getting on in years (I'm pretty sure he's about 50) but if you look at pics from the early 90s he's a hot dewd. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Nah back in the early 90's with his mullethawk(mullet+Mohawk) he was uglier...for sure. And I love all of APC's stuff. they cover songs like nobodies business.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Off with all the other discussions, but a small little list of a few revies I found about post-hardcore bands, while googling the term "screamo", almost hoping to find a miracle (I was actually searching for a reliable site to buy an Orchid CD off of)

[B]The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus-[/B]

Linne the Librarian (extremely mislead?) says:
Finding this band was completely random - I was in a taxi in the UK and the driver was listening to a US chart show on his car radio. I heard Face Down and was just able to catch the band's name before I had to get out of the taxi. Not available in the UK - I had to source from amazon,com, and it was well worth it.

Really, really daft band name, but the music makes up for it. Extremely accessible metal.

Megan Schwartz (stupid?) says:
After hearing Face Down and Your Guardian Angel, which is an absolutely beautiful song, I decided that I wouldn't mind having this CD. BIG MISTAKE. There is a huge difference between the songs you hear on the radio and the ones on this CD. The only genre I could put them in is screamo. The majority of songs on this album are not sung, they are simply screamed out in what sounds like some type of hellish gag. Do not buy this album if you like what's on the radio, you won't hear it, except for 2 songs.

C. Krow (not as stupid, but mislead as well? Probably needs to roll up windows?) says:
I haven't been listening to emo in years just because I'm getting older. This record has renewed my interest. Hard music with great melody. This has pretty much been playing in my car all summer with the windows down.

[B]Hawthorne Heights-[/B]

Some Kid (ahahahaa) says:
Once again another emo band whining about how terrible life is. We don't want to hear it!!! Keep it to yourselves, you wimps. Why do emo bands exist to begin with. They write about how messed up their life is when basically everybodies life is messed up. We've all got problems. But we don't have to put it in music so the rest of the world has to listen to it. SHUT UP!!!

Some Other Kid (..what?) says:
silver bullet and life on standby are the best songs ever!! JT is an awesome singer and Casey Calvert does the best screaming! with out Casey the Band would be nothing! without his screaming added to the songs.. itd b so boring but hes there so its all good! if ur a fan of emo/screamo musi youll luuuuuuuuuuuuuuv this!!!!!u shoudl defenitly get it and HH's other cd too!!! hope i helped you !!!!! good luck!!! and yes you shoudl luv hawthorne heights!!

Some Other Other Kid (good description of what ONE member sounds like when he's singing, nice.) says:
first of all, this is not my cd, my little brother bought it, and even he doesn't like it that much. I felt i should write a review because i was so offended by the absolute crappiness of this album. Hawthorne Heights would have gotten 3 stars out of me if they didn't have that goofy looking dude whose only purpose is to make some noise that is a hybrid of choking, vomiting, screaming, and at times, hissing. the only good material is the bonus material. at least on the demos you can't really hear the ugly scream dude. the best song on the cd and the only good one is 'apparently hoverboards don't work on water'. too bad they didn't stick with the whole Day In The Life thing and not suck.

Some "opendmindedness personified" deusche (thinks he's the smart one of the group) says:
Despite what everyone else here seems to believe these guys have just as many good points to offset "less favorable" qualities. One part it seems most people can agree on is that the guitar playing by this band really rocks. I'll admit that the lyrics are unoriginal but they are not bland and they are rather catchy. Those of us that listen to real screamo bands such as ATREYU know that the screamer for HH actually sounds really good. And for all of you who think that you listen to screamo I say this to you: just because the singer starts singing a little louder or pounds it out at the end of a song, that's not screaming, that's just singing louder and it's going to sound totally different so it's not even fair to make a comparison there. Also, if any of you hate "emo" or punk to begin with than you have no right to review this cd because your opinions are biased negative. I do enjoy this style of music but my opinions here are completely objective (not the not-automatic 5 star rating). For those of you stuck in the 80s, this is the new punk, get over it and catch up with the rest of us. I personally don't believe in the word "emo" because all that means is that the music is centered on emotions (usually pain or loss). Pretty much every artist and three of their cousins has written a song like that so I declare that everything is emo

[B]Blessthefall-[/B]

James Toon (some guy out of a christian fantasy cartoon) says:
I'm the type of music buyer that is willing to buy a new album even if I have heard very little to nothing about the artist I am buying for. Surprisingly, the majority of the time, I thoroughly enjoy what I buy, with very few exceptions. This album was one of those that I thoroughly enjoyed. Being a fan of a wide variety of Christian music, I try to find music outside of the "Top 40" equivalent in Christian music.

From beginning to end, I found this album very enjoyable. They are a Christian band, but they don't overfill the lyrics with Christian messages. More so, they also use their lyrics to deal with daily struggles in life and they offer strong, positive messages withou giving off the feeling of being in Church and listening to a praise band. Granted, I love worship music, but I also love music with Christian overtures, but can also be enjoyed by secular music listeners. This band does an escellent job of this. While not are hard as some metal bands or as Screamo (as one reviewer puts it; nice word choice, I like the phrase Screamo), they still have some metal influence in them. If you like the Almost, Underoath, Inhale/Exhale, and other metal bands with screaming in it, you'll love this album. Take a chance with them. You won;t be disappointed.

David Nypaver (dude, anyone into good music was dissapointed by this) says:

When I first heard that this band was a Christian band, I groaned. I didn't want to listen to something that was praising God throughout the entire cd, not that there's anything wrong with that--that's just not what I want to listen to. However, after putting it in my stereo, I was pleasantly surprised. More than that, I was overjoyed with my purchase. Blessthefall combines just the right amount of singing with screaming, and the lyrics are great and send a good message. Also, the instrumentality is quite impressive as well. The lead singer does some fun things with his voice, and does a great job with the vocals. This is definitely one of my favorite cds in my collection, and I strongly recommend it to anyone who likes screamo music. They're considered metal, but they're not too heavy, so heavy metal fans will most likely be disappointed. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

edit: Oh yeah, I was just joking about Light This City..That band sucked eheh. But as for Amon Amarth...Sorry about that. I lashed out on myself after that one.

p.s- All of KoRn's CDs sounds the same.