OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy: A Steampunk RPG

Sandy

Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?

• Primas Generous
    • Augustine Beauteous
    • Juvenus Courageous

Good news, everybody: Shy and I have been working so hard that it seems we will get the auditions thread up by tomorrow the earliest.

Don't miss your spot in the big happy family of the Almagests! ;D

Also stay tuned for the next Chronicle-feature, which should be up tonight.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=darkred][size=1]

Would it be allowed to have a character who is a career athlete in a combat-sport style arena? I was thinking of creating a character who is a champion savate-boxer and wrestler, maybe as an Almagest family star-athlete. Since there is that whole monster-battle arena, would it be alright to have a venue for human fighters also (not to the death)?

I was thinking it'd be interesting to have a David Beckham-style super star athelete in the Almagest family to play a type of celebrity.[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

Would it be allowed to have a character who is a career athlete in a combat-sport style arena? I was thinking of creating a character who is a champion savate-boxer and wrestler, maybe as an Almagest family star-athlete. Since there is that whole monster-battle arena, would it be alright to have a venue for human fighters also (not to the death)?

I was thinking it'd be interesting to have a David Beckham-style super star athelete in the Almagest family to play a type of celebrity.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Actually, it's a monster race circuit, there's no battling (besides some ferocious tackling). ;P

But yeah, as long as the sport isn't some brutal SmackDown-type of show wrestling but sophisticated and fit for the aristocracy, I see no reason why your character couldn't do that. ;D

And this is a cue for everyone else to get themselves to the Auditions as well, since the recruitment thread is up.

[size=1][COLOR="Navy"]I was wondering if you could elaborate on how long ago it was that Lady Patrice died, how long it was until Leonhart married Lady Bavaria, and whether Leonhart and Bavaria have had children. Just asking since it wasn't specified in the new Chronicle unless I missed it.

One reason is that I've been working on my sign up and have most of it covered, but have been thinking of being a young child of Leonhart (late 20s) but not sure if that'll fit in with what your idea is.

For example, if I was to make my character 27, Leonhart would have been 38 at the time of birth, and whether he was married and if so which wife.[/COLOR][/size]

I'm sorry, Mary, but apparently Raiha has snatched the much-coveted position of the youngest child of Leonhart and Patrice. It has been nearly thirty years since Patrice died, apparently.

We were planning that Lady Bavaria is childless - barren, even - and that is why she feels so disconnected from the rest of the family. If you want that changed, we can probably arrange that... Just remember that you can also play as a grandchild or a niece of Leonhart's.

I'm just saying that people shouldn't be afraid of playing as someone who is over 30 years old, or under 15. I'm not forcing anyone, just encouraging. ;D

[size=1][COLOR="Navy"]Thanks for the response. It's fine though, I didn't really aim to be the youngest as I was planning to put 'one of the youngest' so as not to limit that for any other people who planned to sign up as Leonhart's children, but seeing as Raiha posted before me she's got it set and I'll go with that. I just find it funny that we planned characters one year apart and both working at Prometheo Laboratories but it seems our personalities are different.

And yeah, my back up plan was a grandchild but a separate family from Beth's.[/COLOR][/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]My character will be well over 30, but not linked by blood to the family (as I've discussed with Sandy and Shy).

I was waiting for Raiha's sign-up though because I wanted to know more about her character, given the relationship with mine.

I've also got to find a suitable picture. I'm having trouble finding solid resources for the style I want, heheh. :catgirl:[/font]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]......*pout* You discussed that with me to.

See? This is why divorces happen. Haha. But anyway, sorry I stole your position Sakura, but Sandy and James and I had been having little midnight collaborations to develop things so yeah.

Me first FTW![/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sandy;797720]I'm just saying that people shouldn't be afraid of playing as someone who is over 30 years old, or under 15. I'm not forcing anyone, just encouraging. ;D[/QUOTE]I was already planning on it. [quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium']I've also got to find a suitable picture. I'm having trouble finding solid resources for the style I want, heheh. :catgirl:[/font][/quote]Same here, finding a picture for this was a pain. I finally had to get Beth to help me. Since I was looking for something rather specific to fit the type of character I wished to play as.

Anyway, my sign up is done. I realize the picture is realistic, but it fits my character perfectly so I chose to go with it. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions Sandy and Shy, but for now I'll just wait to see how things go and to see just who you finally decide on choosing for this. :catgirl: Looks like fun!

[COLOR="Indigo"]My sign up has been posted. I left it vague as to who Harrison's parents are, but if you and I make the cut Gavin, you can always claim the brat as your own. He can drive you nuts with his refusal to take up a more [I]fitting [/I]occupation for a member of the Almagest family. :p

Anyway, even before you commented on the age thing Sandy, I figured you needed a brat who always gets himself into trouble. [/COLOR]

It's great that you decided to sign in as a "brat", Crystia, but isn't you character a bit too young to be a son of Daedalus? I would see him as his [I]grand[/I]son, rather, if that's alright with you (and Gavin, of course).

Just trying to be consistent with the ages here, since it's not very believable that Daedalus would've become a father in the age of 53... ;D

[quote name='Sandy']Just trying to be consistent with the ages here, since it's not very believable that Daedalus would've become a father in the age of 53... ;D[/QUOTE][size=1]I know a lot of fathers who are well into their 50's, so I have no problem with that bit.

I also wanted to say that I'm really pleased with the quality of sign-ups so far. We don't have a set number of players in mind. In fact, we're looking to include as many different players into the game as possible. I'd also like to encourage new players, or people who don't normally RP to give us a chance. Sandy and I can be a little.. imposing at times, but we have high hopes for the game and expect that it will be a lot of fun.

So um, yeah. Just keep doing what you guys are doing. If you need any help with creating your character just let us know.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]My sign up has been posted. I left it vague as to who Harrison's parents are, but if you and I make the cut Gavin, you can always claim the brat as your own. He can drive you nuts with his refusal to take up a more [I]fitting[/I] occupation for a member of the Almagest family. :p

Anyway, even before you commented on the age thing Sandy, I figured you needed a brat who always gets himself into trouble. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I suppose I ought to give you fair warning then Crystia, Daedalus isn't the parental type. He'll likely spend as much, if not more time working on a new project of his than he will with his family.

Indeed, I'd almost imagine that he'd leave Harrison up to his own devices in an effort to distil a sense of responsibility and maturity into the lad, or at least hope he tries to work on something to impress his father that actually merits his attention. There's a similar idea going on in my sign up, where Daedalus attempts to impress his father into giving him attention. You might say the condition is hereditary.

Also, given that Daedalus is practically the god of weaponsmithing, Harry will like have an interest in his father's work.

Now I just need a wife to provide a mother for the brat.[/SIZE]

[size=1]I left it out of my sign-up, but assuming SunfallE doesn't mind (and that I actually get accepted into the RPG) I intended for my character to be her father since she didn't specify her lineage (either than Leonhart being her Grandfather of course).

Any other problems with my sign-up, please let me know, I'd like to be a part of this.[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I feel a bit rusty on my sign-ups, and RPing for that matter... But I signed up nonetheless. I have a feeling there will be some character problems with my entry. I wasn't sure if you had already fleshed out some of the NPCs, and I wanted to tie Charles into the Aristocracy more than just "Widower," so I added a bit about his romance with Meredyne Artemis... If you think this shouldn't happen, or you had a specific age picked out for her that wouldn't allow for such a romance, then let me know... I'm sure I can think of something.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Well, I'm currently working on my sign-up, but before I continue, and given that my sign-up is up to par, I'd like to ask Andrew and SunfallE [given that she accepts him as a father] if it'd be fine for me to join their branch of the family; i.e. Andrew's son and SunfallE's brother.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sandy']It's great that you decided to sign in as a "brat", Crystia, but isn't you character a bit too young to be a son of Daedalus? I would see him as his [I]grand[/I]son, rather, if that's alright with you (and Gavin, of course).

Just trying to be consistent with the ages here, since it's not very believable that Daedalus would've become a father in the age of 53... ;D[/QUOTE]Sandy, it's not alright. :p And as Shy already pointed out, it's not as unusual for someone to become a father in their fifties as you think. Maybe where you live but not here in the USA. And I speak from experience since I have an uncle who got remarried at fifty five and has himself a set of twins by his new wife. So no deal as it's more than believable. [quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]I suppose I ought to give you fair warning then Crystia, Daedalus isn't the parental type. He'll likely spend as much, if not more time working on a new project of his than he will with his family.

Indeed, I'd almost imagine that he'd leave Harrison up to his own devices in an effort to distil a sense of responsibility and maturity into the lad, or at least hope he tries to work on something to impress his father that actually merits his attention. There's a similar idea going on in my sign up, where Daedalus attempts to impress his father into giving him attention. You might say the condition is hereditary.

Also, given that Daedalus is practically the god of weaponsmithing, Harry will like have an interest in his father's work.

Now I just need a wife to provide a mother for the brat.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]That's fine by me. It can be his mother that he drives nuts more than anything. And it was just an idea that I thought would be fun.

Anyway, Sandy if you object to him being a son instead of a grandson, then you and I are going to disagree. In older societies without modern medicine like we have. It was not at all unusual for someone to remarry when older to a younger wife when their first one passed away. So how you're thinking it's unrealistic just boggles my mind since having a son when someone is in their fifties would have been common in older days. It certainly was in the state I'm currently living in.

Remember, women often died early due to the dangers of giving birth so for someone to later remarry was not unexpected. Also, don't believe me that it's believable? Just go and read this please: [URL="http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/11/06/do_over_dads/"][U]Article[/U][/URL][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Sandy']It's great that you decided to sign in as a "brat", Crystia, but isn't you character a bit too young to be a son of Daedalus? I would see him as his [I]grand[/I]son, rather, if that's alright with you (and Gavin, of course).

Just trying to be consistent with the ages here, since it's not very believable that Daedalus would've become a father in the age of 53... ;D[/QUOTE]Crystia may have already addressed this but Sandy... I have to do this, no getting around it.

[CENTER][IMG]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9664/objectionwo9.png[/IMG][/CENTER]
This may not be my rpg, but I'm going to agree with Crystia here. Based on my own family history as well as the fact that I could easily name five families that I know living in my area who became fathers after they turned fifty. One of them in just the past few months no less. I believe that the only difference nowadays is that instead of remarrying because their wife died, it's more common that they remarried because they got divorced. :p [quote name='Andrew'][size=1]I left it out of my sign-up, but assuming SunfallE doesn't mind (and that I actually get accepted into the RPG) I intended for my character to be her father since she didn't specify her lineage (either than Leonhart being her Grandfather of course).

Any other problems with my sign-up, please let me know, I'd like to be a part of this.[/size][/QUOTE]If we both get accepted, that's fine by me as well as for Omega should they wish for their character to by my character's brother. I left it open on purpose so people could choose to be related like that if they wanted to. So that works for me provided Sandy and Shy pick us for this rpg. XP[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

The character I made is the son of Leonhart Almagest, but with another spouse after the death of Beatrice. Is there any issue with this or should I turn him into an Almagest cousin?

I was hoping to work in some forms of hostility with Raiha's and Shy's character due to his only being a half-brother, seeking approval and praise and not getting it just to add some extra dimensions to his character.

Is there any issue with this?[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

The character I made is the son of Leonhart Almagest, but with another spouse after the death of Beatrice. Is there any issue with this or should I turn him into an Almagest cousin?

I was hoping to work in some forms of hostility with Raiha's and Shy's character due to his only being a half-brother, seeking approval and praise and not getting it just to add some extra dimensions to his character.

Is there any issue with this?[/color][/size][/QUOTE][size=1]I'm not sure about giving Leonhart a third wife, but I don't see a reason your character can't be a half-sibling of sorts. Leonhart Almagest is a larger than life character; I suspect he's got more than a few illegitimate children floating around...

As I have said before, some slight retooling may be neccessary in order to make everyone's character fit under the same general umbrella. The existance of Darren's character in particular introduces a lot of NPCs that I'd simply rather not deal with. Hopefully we can adjust this somehow, but right now I'd rather players make the characters they want... we can sort out the bloodline later.

-Shy[/size]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I went by what you said and made him the son of Leonhart and an unknown mistress. But if this also conflicts with anything, then just tell me where you think he'd fit in and I'll try to fit my sign-up around that. The only real issue is who birthed him by Leonhart.[/color][/size]

[size=1][COLOR="Navy"]Wasn't online most of yesterday but after thinking about my sign up, did you, Shy and Sandy, want me to change it because of its similarity to Raiha's? I don't really think there's much of a problem with it but I thought I'd ask because they're a year apart and both working with Chimaera production.[/COLOR][/size]

[quote name='Sakura'][size=1][COLOR="Navy"]Wasn't online most of yesterday but after thinking about my sign up, did you, Shy and Sandy, want me to change it because of its similarity to Raiha's? I don't really think there's much of a problem with it but I thought I'd ask because they're a year apart and both working with Chimaera production.[/COLOR][/size][/QUOTE][size=1]I think your characters are different enough to stand out from one another, but if you want to change your character feel free. We are all playing as one large family, so it's likely that many of the characters will have certain similarities.

The most important thing for me is that you enjoy the character you are RP-ing as.

-Shy[/size]