OtakuBoards

Emos, Preps and the Whole Clique team

Aberinkula

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]10 miles wide, one inch deep (You get boosted an extra 9 miles, congratulations). Your opinion is best applied to mainstream rap, and according to most people 'in the know' and who are 'crazy cool to the max' mainstream music usually consists of what is marketable to the broadest audience possible. The independent, underground rappers that exist in the United States and the United Kingdom (primarily) rap on a wide variety of issues that touch political, religious, socioeconomic, and philosophical topics. Rap music is a very broad field of sounds and messages. What is popular is unfortunate, but it is simply popular.

So asterisk yourself and make the necessary addition of "mainstream" before "rap".
[/color][/QUOTE]
[color=darkred][size=1]

You just went up in my cool book for that one.

Now that I've started attending a much larger school, I've seen the formation of the seperate cliques, though they don't much apply to me. Like I've always been, I'm a bit of a social chameleon and hang out with anyone I really feel like.

Today, for example, I hung out at lunch time with a hardcore gamer, because the two people I usually hang with were gone. My ex-girlfriend was skipping school, and my indie-rock musician/skater bud was bed-ridden from an operation. Later on that day, I went to my wrestling scrimmage with all the supposed "jocks" who are all pretty fun guys once you get to know them. After that, I went to my Metal-head/Gamer friend Trey's house for some Halo 3.

There are several cliques, and there is a bit of intermingeling. I happen to thrive on that, as I don't have a very concrete group that I can fit into. So I just go from friend to friend in each group and say whats up, hang out for a bit, do whatever. I have a circle of close friends that I keep, and they are mostly in seperate social groups, but they get along seeing as how they all have similar base personalities.

I havn't had many issues in my school career with ridicule due to cliques or whatever. The only problems I've had thus far have to do primarily with race and racism, since I live in the American south. I've had to deal with crap due to interracial dating and due to racial slurs thrown at either me or my friends. Thats a completely different issue, however.

Sometimes I think either I'm just a lucky guy or maybe this whole clique thing is taken far too seriously by everyone. Sure, Emo kids look funny, and Geeks are weird and Jocks can be jerks, but if you have any kind of people skills, you can usually get past that stuff.

Maybe its just me.[/color][/size]

[COLOR="Green"][SIZE="1"]Cliques. God how I hate them. Not the people in them necessarily, but the consequences from them. Not a lot of people know how much exactly they can harm, not only mentally but also physically, people.

Cliques start up in Junior High, or so I?ve seen. For my seventh and eighth grade year I was known as the new girl. I only stopped getting called the new girl when I was in ninth grade. I made a new name for myself: I wrestled.

I don?t get introduced as Kailen to the new kids at my school; I?m introduced as the girl wrestler. That?s my label. I don?t have a name. It?s annoying as hell, but I learn to deal with it. I finally this year snapped in my English class (we are currently going over the Renaissance Period and the changes and the systems. Luckily our sub was my former Honors English teacher of my sophomore year and she didn?t send me to the office.) and went off in this manner:

[list][*]I?m the weird girl here. I?m the smart kid. I?m the girl-wrestler. I?m one of the few conservative girls here. I?m one of FIVE ?gamer? girls here. I?m the girl who gets annoyed over common misspellings. I?m the girl who wants to play football; I?m one of TWO seniors going into the military after high-school. I?m the girl who freestyles. I?m the one who doesn?t give a **** about what other people think about her. I did at one point and time and you know what it made me do? Try and commit suicide. Our society forces these unbelievable standards on today?s youth. And yet most of you just follow those standards just to fit in.

IT?S BULL-****. WE HAVE TO STAND UP AGAINST IT.

You (I pointed to my classmates) are just feeding the fire. Just today, I saw some of you making fun of others in the hallway, and not in a joking manner. You?re too damn self-centered to realize just what exactly is going on here in the world. One of our own can be going thru a hard time, and yet you still tease. You ?classify? them as: un-cool, ugly, fat, nerd etc. **** that you put on people make people buckle. And when they buckle, things you do to people may turn into another Columbine or Virginia Tech. THEN that?s when people realize that classifying and bullying people is wrong. Why wait until it?s too late?[/list]

Not a lot of people said anything to me after that. I mean, I hate cliques with an undying passion. They?re just a creation of mainstream society. A lot of people don?t like me because I stand up for what I believe in. I guess I can be considered biased, but I give everyone a chance. . I hang out with everyone. I love the ?nerds? because of the fact that they supply my need for intellectual discussions. The ?jocks? because who else can I talk about sports with and not have it fly over their heads? The ?emo? kids because I like what music they?re into. You never know who your next boss is going to be. <3[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I'll make this short and sweet.

I'm skater and I play way too many videogames, I hate thug types. I think preps are toolbags, and anyone who dresses remotely like a goth should end their life. Indie music sucks, rock music is the best.
My clique could kick your clique's ***.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1] here at my school, we've got groups of people who [I] think[/I] are unique but are just your run of the mill kids, we've also got the jocks, emos, preps, geeks, band geeks and etc, etc.. there's a twist we have foreign exchange and deaf students at our school

I used to associate with one of those "unique" groups last semister til I finally realised that they talked about the same bs every single day, so I left that group and now I associate with the deaf kids, because they have things to say, and it's not the same thing over and over again. [plus I also associate with them due to the fact that I'm going deaf.][/size]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]and anyone who dresses remotely like a goth should end their life. Indie music sucks, rock music is the best.
My clique could kick your clique's ***.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1]1. I guess I should go die then. :)
2. A lot of rock groups are indie.
3. I'm not so sure about that... you say "meat" around most of my friends, and I'm sure they'd grind you up yelling, "HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE ON THE WAY TO THE SLAUGHTER HOUSE, B***H?!"

Hehe.

I like this discussion. It's fun.
[/size]

[quote name='Fyxe'][size=1]1. I guess I should go die then. :)
2. A lot of rock groups are indie.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I should prolly go die too. But no sooner than killing all my friends XD although I dunno is just wearing all black most of the time counts as goth. Last year I was more trying taht image, but this year I don't care - I wear all white on ocasion. So maybe I get spared? But I'm not sticking around if Fyke gets killed :catgirl:

And anyway, what kind of goth listens to indie? Wouldn't that effectively make you un-goth?[/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I think my friends and I weren't cool enough to be classified into a group in High School.

I went to a middle school with about thirty-six students... it was a school for kids with behaivor problems if that explains anything. So I guess there just weren't enough people to have labels. Hells most of the time my eigth grade class only consisted of four girls because the two boys kept getting suspended for doing dumb shtuff.

So yeah.. labels... unless that strange girl who'd rather read than deal with you is a label... I don't think I had one. Of course it has been over eight years:animeswea[/color][/font]

[font="garamond"][color="darkgreen"]I'm a couple of years out of highschool but I'm still a member of a subculture that gets yelled at when I walk down the street. I'm not talking about goth or punk, because in this city they are quite prevalent and no one notices or cares if you dress up like that for downtown. Emo is also getting big here in Brisbane and that's good to see too, they are a nice bunch of people. But when my clique dresses up, it is noticed - and I love it.[/font][/color]

[font=arial][size=1]I fit in with the undead crew, mostly.

[img]http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v155/73/39/515250417/n515250417_301713_1133.jpg[/img]

We like to stalk the living, it's our favorite past time. We also like to sit around eating brains and watching 70's horror movies. We'd play Halo or something, but we have bad coordination.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]I fit in with the undead crew, mostly.

[img]http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v155/73/39/515250417/n515250417_301713_1133.jpg[/img]

We like to stalk the living, it's our favorite past time. We also like to sit around eating brains and watching 70's horror movies. We'd play Halo or something, but we have bad coordination.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Whoah, is that my grandma behind you? This is war... She betrayed me and the Senior-Citizen Club for you undead pricks?

Sonofabitch.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

SOmething els that goes on in these groups clicks whatever is that there is discrimination in the groups themselves, you should know that Prem.... When stuff goes down we need to stick together not shun them, not saying anymore about that :animeangr . I have spoken to the preps and the geeks and all I have strings in them all and im Goth, the preps are like us they worry about things like us different of course but they are like us, from what I can tell from geeks in our school they are the ones most likely to bring in some guns and shoot up the place.... I had problems with cutting well so did a prep I know too.... we are one in the same clicks are retarted....

I went for Student Council President this year my speech tearing down the groups and how they stay afloat, how the teachers praise some and shun others when they say flat out we are treated eqwually in the school. Just like in real life in the south especially you still see black racsim in court rooms.... This world sucks....:animeangr

[COLOR="77656"]We know each other is real-life, but we have our own views. And I'm not willing to respect the other groups unless they respect me. Some of the other groups insist that I'm gay, and keep calling me gay. So until they stop, I won't respect them. Personally, I dont' mind some of the preps. Like Kelsey and all them. Last year Kelsey talked to me and thanked me for my compliments. And htat, I apreciate.[/color]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]I'll make this short and sweet.

I'm skater and I play way too many videogames, I hate thug types. I think preps are toolbags, and anyone who dresses remotely like a goth should end their life. Indie music sucks, rock music is the best.
My clique could kick your clique's ***.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

Shall I rant? I shall.

Problem number one. Short and sweet was half-way right. Short, yes, but that's about it. Sweet normally signifies something nice. That means, not being an *** about things.

Problem number two. Preps are tool bags. By prep, I'm guessing you're meaning the general stereotype; rich, popular, wears clothes that are "in-style". I happen to know "preps" who can fend for themselves. "Tollbags" as you put it, by what I'm guessing, means they are used a lot, and walked over most of the time. Normally, "preps" as you would call them, do the using and walking over of people.

Problem number three. Would you like to hear my wardrobe? All of my pants are Tripp pants (you know, the ones with the chains, and skulls and stuff?) All of my shirts are either black, or red, and most of the black ones have either an anime reference, or "nerd" reference, or just some saying. So, to reply to what you said about "dressing remotely like a goth," I've thought about killing myself, found out it wasn't worth it. Frankly, being that "emo" doesn't suit me. Also, I would love to hear your reason for disliking "goths" I'll get a good laugh out of it probably.

Problem number four. Music sucking, is a matter of opinion. I personally prefer techno, or classical (yes, the Beethoven stuff for those of you who are wondering.)

And finally, problem number five. Since I don't classify myself in a "clique," there's no way your "clique" could beat my "clique's" arse. Even though, I'd like to see you try, not that you ever would, or care to. It would still be funny to watch you and your "clique" to attempt to own me at anything. I would be my own "clique" in this case.

Anyways... aside from the rant, I think I've made my side clear. I hate anything along the lines of stereotypes. They are pointless labels that ignorant people use to divide themselves from people they don't like. They have very destructive power, that is often used against people. It cause people to commit suicide (something I am now strongly against.)

But... for all you people who can only judge someone by stereotyping them, I'll give you the pleasure of hating one more person. I am, what others would say, goth/emo. I'm not really full blown goth, and I'm not emo enough to cut (also something I'm against, it's pointless, harmful, and just plain stupid.)

[quote name='Metalcore501']I went for Student Council President this year my speech tearing down the groups and how they stay afloat, how the teachers praise some and shun others when they say flat out we are treated eqwually in the school. Just like in real life in the south especially you still see black racsim in court rooms.... This world sucks....:animeangr[/quote]

I just read that, I agree with you fully Metal. Groups tear each other apart, as well as themselves. They have some kind of hierarchy embedded in their roots, and the more popular people in the groups have "power." Teachers often praise the sports players and cheerleader types, or the students that are smart and show effort. I especially hate when a teacher has a family relative in their class, and they don't have to do anything to pass the class.

Also, the black racism in court rooms is pretty sad, and it's not just racism either, it's also sexism. Women today are still treated like sex toys, or slaves in parts of this world, it's sad. This world does suck Metal, but you gotta find that one person that makes living here worth while.

[quote name='Nerdsy'][COLOR=deeppink]THat's an interesting stereotype you've got there.[/COLOR][/quote]

Well most people in this day and age, do not want to have anything to do with "uncool" people, or people they just in general don't like. Normally they become scared when they find out that some person, whom they hate or dislike for whatever reason, start to seem much like themselves. So, to avoid their "friends" finding out that they may be emo, nerdish, or whatever, they start to put the other person in a different group than themselves, and try to draw an imaginary line between them. People in this day and age don't care about friendship anymore (a few select people do anymore, so why count the .01%?) all they care about is fame, money, sex, and/or drugs.

Feel free to question me, or correct me if you want on this as well.

[quote name='Aethon_Liam']Well most people in this day and age, do not want to have anything to do with "uncool" people, or people they just in general don't like. Normally they become scared when they find out that some person, whom they hate or dislike for whatever reason, start to seem much like themselves. So, to avoid their "friends" finding out that they may be emo, nerdish, or whatever, they start to put the other person in a different group than themselves, and try to draw an imaginary line between them. People in this day and age don't care about friendship anymore (a few select people do anymore, so why count the .01%?) all they care about is fame, money, sex, and/or drugs.

Feel free to question me, or correct me if you want on this as well.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I think you might not have gotten my point. I was pointing out that you claimed to "hate anything along the lines of stereotypes," and immiediately after saying that you stereotyped a group of people. [/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][COLOR=deeppink]I think you might not have gotten my point. I was pointing out that you claimed to "hate anything along the lines of stereotypes," and immiediately after saying that you stereotyped a group of people. [/COLOR][/quote]

No, I found your point quite fast, I was just justifying it. I'm hypocritical, yes this I have found out, but I'd rather be a hypocrite, than keep all my knowledge to myself.

[quote name='Aethon_Liam']No, I found your point quite fast, I was just justifying it. I'm hypocritical, yes this I have found out, but I'd rather be a hypocrite, than keep all my knowledge to myself.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Justifying a stereotype with more stereotypes? Methinks you don't hate steterotypes at all - just the ones applied to you by people [i]you[/i] don't like.

By the way, congratulations on intimately knowing every human on the planet.[/color]