OtakuBoards

Legalization of Marijuana

XeEmO

[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I think you anti-pot'rs oughta go out and smoke some. It's actually quite enjoyable when done so responsibly, just like drinking and (probably to a smaller degree) smoking. Go get some friends together and watch a movie and each some junk food. It'll be fun, trust me. =D[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Don't be silly. I simply have no intention of attempting to make it legal or supporting the fight for it. If it happens fine, if it doesn't fine. I think it shouldn't be legal, and that is personal opinion only, I'm not out there actively trying to stop the efforts either. One thing I do know is I sure as hell am not going to go out and try it. :rolleyes: Responsible or not, I have no interest in it, or smoking or drinking either. I don't need to be high or wasted to have fun. lol

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

There was a recent poll done in Switzerland (where Marijuana use is legal) that proved that high school students who smoke pot socially are just as studeous and well adjusted as those who do not smoke pot.

Marijuana is a weed, that comes out of the Earth. Nothing is added to it (as far as I know) and it isn't tampered with by other harmful chemicals. People have been using it for centuries. Its probably less harmful than alcohol, and it seems to be that it is safer than cigarettes.

All Marijuana laws are doing is clogging our court system in America and shoving a bunch of (more-than-less) harmless stoners in jail. If we sin-taxed mary-jane like we do alcohol, and made it legal, the government could probably pull a bit of much needed tax dollars from it.

I don't smoke pot or anything else personally, because I'm an athlete and I can't be messing with my lungs. But I don't disagree with the use of the drug either. Its inevitable that people are going to smoke pot, so making it illegal is just preventing the inevitable.

Kinda like asking teenagers to practice abstinence.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="77656"]The Boss pretty much summed it up right there.

[QUOTE]I think you anti-pot'rs oughta go out and smoke some. It's actually quite enjoyable when done so responsibly, just like drinking and (probably to a smaller degree) smoking. Go get some friends together and watch a movie and each some junk food. It'll be fun, trust me. =D[/QUOTE]

Munchies FTW. And on another lighter note, my GF's teacher is named Mrs. Huff and she teaches in room 420. Plus, she allows her students to sniff the sharpies.... ?

[QUOTE]I personally think it should be made legal, at least in an attempt to better understand what would happen. So many of the arguments for and against the legalization of it can't be seen until we observe the effects of both legalizing and illegalizing it. And since we already know what it'd be like if it were illegal i think we should give legalizing it a chance. It's a little like prohibition. We saw what it was like to have it both legal and illegal here and found out quickly which was worse. Since then i doubt we'll ever illegalize alcohol again. [/QUOTE]

The government should legalize it for awhile and iif it gets out of hand illegalize it. But if it goes off without a hitch, they should either think their decidsion or legalize it. I've said that before, and it seemed no one had a prolem with what I said.

[QUOTE]A lot of people here seem to have bad experience with marijuana. Probably a friend or something that's abused the drug. I personally think most anything can be abused and have a negative light put on it. Food is a great example. Obesity in this nation is... well, obese. It's gotten quite ridiculous. But that's totally irrelevant. My point here is that the potential for abuse should be measured and taken into account. I have very little experience with marijuana so i really can't say anything beyond that. [/QUOTE]

That is very true. Almost everything can have a negative influence. As I said beofre I have friend who uses it well, and who doens't just waste life smoking it. She hates school, and she wants out ofthe place, but she's always thought this. Pot hasn't changed her. Some people can use it without screwing up, some can't. It's the same as Alcohol and cigarettes. My mom drinks, but she doesn't drive or get wasted under the influence, unlike some people.[/COLOR]

I'm not sure what the problem is here. Last I checked, Marijuana is perfectly legal and an acceptable thing to smoke here in the US.

When you're about to die most painfully and have no other way to null it.

Any other uses: No. Not even thinking about it. Besides the fact that it's way too abundant around where I live, getting high for no reason is just plain stupid and irresponsible. Even for the "responsible" people, I see both no point and little self control (I must question how you got into it in the first place.)

And finally, I don't care if you revolutionize the country to make fish-slapping common practice, no amount of lobbying for legalization is gonna get you out of this.

EDIT:[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="77656"]The government should legalize it for awhile and iif it gets out of hand illegalize it. But if it goes off without a hitch, they should either think their decidsion or legalize it. I've said that before, and it seemed no one had a prolem with what I said.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://will.incorrige.us/facepalm/picard.jpeg[/IMG]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]AzureWolf: Cigarettes must be godlike then.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]Huh? Please don't tell me you categorize cigarettes as a drug, especially a medicinal one, which is what the OP was comparing marijuana to. But hey, if you do, all the more power to you, I guess.

60s are back, lol.

[quote name='AzureWolf']Huh? Please don't tell me you categorize cigarettes as a drug, especially a medicinal one, which is what the OP was comparing marijuana to. But hey, if you do, all the more power to you, I guess.

60s are back, lol.[/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]My bad, I lost my train of thought midway and thought the second part of your post was separate, I don't even know.

At the same time, though, it doesn't matter. Marijuana isn't anything more than a fun painkiller in medicinal terms, it won't be as effective as pretty much anything else that they use now. People who bring up medicinal uses are ridiculous, it's primarily for recreation and that's what people who want it for common medical treatment really want to do with the drug. If it's prescribed like Oxy-Contin, that'd make it easier to get, wouldn't it? I agree that it should not be legalized for medicinal value alone, rather, my argument was simply that it's a relatively safer version of tobacco.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Don't be silly. I simply have no intention of attempting to make it legal or supporting the fight for it. If it happens fine, if it doesn't fine. I think it shouldn't be legal, and that is personal opinion only, I'm not out there actively trying to stop the efforts either. One thing I do know is I sure as hell am not going to go out and try it. :rolleyes: Responsible or not, I have no interest in it, or smoking or drinking either. I don't need to be high or wasted to have fun. lol[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Haha. You're no fun, man. I can totally understand you being against the use of it if you at least tried it once. It's like saying steak sucks without ever trying it and only seeing people moaning about how stuffed they are from their big fat steak dinners. Try it before you diss it.

Nobody needs to be intoxicated to any level to have fun, unless of course you're hooked on the stuff and are literally going through withdrawal without it. But it doesn't mean it isn't fun. It's also a different type of fun. You can't have drunken fun without drinking alcohol. You can't have a high time without some pot. And even smoking can give you that nice cool relaxing buzz that no other activity can. Not even Monopoly or Battleships! =D

Anyways, i'm not here to argue your opinion on the legalization of pot (in this post), i'm just trying to get ya to live a little. And you gotta try new things from time to time to do that.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='The13thMan][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I can totally understand you being against the use of it if you at least tried it once.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Oh, [I]that[/I] makes sense. Perhaps I should try self-injury as well. Never done that before.

The steak analogy holds no water. However, since I like steak, I'll shift to eggplant. :p

I know the purpose of eggplant: it is to provide nutrition. I also know the purpose of marijuana: it is to mellow one out, so to speak. I need neither item to accomplish either task, since I have other means of mellowing and/or "nutritioning" at my disposal.

Actually, I think eggplant should be declared illegal. It alters the sense of taste in ways I don't care to experience. Works for marijuana....[/FONT]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]that it's a relatively safer version of tobacco.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

But that's just it- it is more likely than not that it is not safer than tobacco, and the only reason it has less research to prove it either way is because with it illegal not as much research has been done with it. It is known to contain a mind-altering substance, that if overused can be deadly both to the user and those around them.

Also, there are known formula after known formula for effective pain relievers. I highly doubt that marijuana would actually be more effective then them; in fact this day and age you could even synthesize the active chemical in pot in a pharmacy lab, and dispense it as an edible pill like normal pain relievers instead of having to smoke it.

I would just as soon be rid of both marijuana and tobacco, though alcohol can stay a while longer since drinking resposibly doesn't hurt anyone while smoking tends to cause others to be affected through secondhand smoke.

[quote name='The13thMan;798751][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Haha. You're no fun, man. I can totally understand you being against the use of it if you at least tried it once. It's like saying steak sucks without ever trying it and only seeing people moaning about how stuffed they are from their big fat steak dinners. Try it before you diss it. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]There we go, lets do something illegal just so we can say we tried it once! :rolleyes: Big difference between steak and drugs, there's just no comparison. There are plenty of things that don't require one to actually 'try' it in order to be against it. Like Allamorph mentioned, I'm not about to try self-injury just to justify saying I'm against it. XP[quote name='The13thMan;798751][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Nobody needs to be intoxicated to any level to have fun, unless of course you're hooked on the stuff and are literally going through withdrawal without it. But it doesn't mean it isn't fun. It's also a different type of fun. You can't have drunken fun without drinking alcohol. You can't have a high time without some pot. And even smoking can give you that nice cool relaxing buzz that no other activity can. Not even Monopoly or Battleships! =D [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]And for some people that kind of fun appeals about as much as the idea of going to the dentist and having a tooth pulled without any painkiller. Some of us don't want drunken fun or being high fun. Besides there are activities that are relaxing and fun and yet don't involve getting wasted or high. lol[QUOTE=The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Anyways, i'm not here to argue your opinion on the legalization of pot (in this post), i'm just trying to get ya to live a little. And you gotta try new things from time to time to do that. [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]You can try new things without ever touching something like drugs or alcohol. There's so many experiences out there to be had so one hardly needs pot for that. I think it goes without saying that I can 'live a little' without ever doing drugs. :p

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Oh, [I]that[/I] makes sense. Perhaps I should try self-injury as well. Never done that before.

The steak analogy holds no water. However, since I like steak, I'll shift to eggplant. :p

I know the purpose of eggplant: it is to provide nutrition. I also know the purpose of marijuana: it is to mellow one out, so to speak. I need neither item to accomplish either task, since I have other means of mellowing and/or "nutritioning" at my disposal.

Actually, I think eggplant should be declared illegal. It alters the sense of taste in ways I don't care to experience. Works for marijuana....[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I find this absolutely hilarious. You complain that my analogy of steak to marijuana is a false analogy by stating another false analogy - the self-injury analogy. Touche!

Now now, i do realize you were being quite sarcastic here, but perhaps i was as well to a smaller degree with the steak analogy? I believe i was. Oh my! The steak analogy isn't so bad. Both steak and marijuana can have positive and negative consequences. Whereas self-injury is much more negative than positive. Anyways, thanks for missing my point. =D

As for the eggplant dealy... i'm going to go ahead and guess you've never tried marijuana either. It's just a guess though. And an irrelevant one at that!

I second the illegalization of eggplant.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']There we go, lets do something illegal just so we can say we tried it once! Big difference between steak and drugs, there's just no comparison. There are plenty of things that don't require one to actually 'try' it in order to be against it. Like Allamorph mentioned, I'm not about to try self-injury just to justify saying I'm against it. XP[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Way to diss one false analogy and use another equally (actually, in my opinion, more false) false analogy.

My point wasn't to do something illegal just so we can say we tried it. Nowhere did i even imply it. I was looking at it more scientifically and experience-oriented. I think it's important to try things before you go making claims about them. You claimed that you would never be interested in doing marijuana when you have no idea what it would be like. This, to me, is foolish. The self-injury analogy breaks down here. With self-injury the end result is to be injured, which all of us have been before. Therefore we have both experienced the end result of self-injury. Whereas with marijuana only one of us has experienced the end result. I won't say who. =o

Of course... that may be a false presumption on my part. Let me ask this question, have you ever been high? If so then i take back what i said. And i do mean this sincerely.
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[quote name='Rachmaninoff']And for some people that kind of fun appeals about as much as the idea of going to the dentist and having a tooth pulled without any painkiller. Some of us don't want drunken fun or being high fun. Besides there are activities that are relaxing and fun and yet don't involve getting wasted or high. lol[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]In my opinion, those "some people" are arrogant to assume that sort of fun does not appeal to them when they have little to no idea what that fun is like. If those people do know what being high or getting drunk is like and decide it's not for them then there is no arrogance to be observed. I say that purely to clarify. I've tried both and have realized that they're only good on occasion. I would never want to get high or drunk regularly. Once every few weeks is plenty for me.

Surely there are activities that are both relaxing and fun that don't involve getting drunk or high... but you don't get drunk or high! That's sorta the whole point here. I'm surprised you missed that... =/
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[quote name='Rachmaninoff']You can try new things without ever touching something like drugs or alcohol. There's so many experiences out there to be had so one hardly needs pot for that. I think it goes without saying that I can 'live a little' without ever doing drugs. [/quote]
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]You're absolutely right here. If you don't want to get high or drunk then i commend you for staying above the influence. It really is great for you. But i'm just going to say, from a person that has tried those things, go ahead and give it a shot at least once. It's worth the experience. And afterwards you can go and do your other super fun activities that don't involve getting high or drunk. But at least you will have the experience for later use. =D

Shoot... i just went back and read your first post on this subject. I missed it the first time through. I can see now why you wouldn't be interested in trying it. Now, that's not to say my points are now invalid, they're still quite valid with the premises i were aware of at the time of writing them. I still think you should try it. But given your previous experience with your friends and pot i would say just try it once. Try it to understand better what was going on. Don't try it a second time because of your experience with your friends. Believe me, one time won't get you hooked. Especially with all of the negative experience you've had with your friends.

That said, i've had negative experience with friends and family abusing drugs too. This is why i see it as such a huge responsibility when i partake in such forms of...intoxication. I do not under any circumstances go driving while drunk or high. I don't do a lot of things. I make sure somebody knows what i'm doing and to have my back while i'm doing it. I make sure not to get too high or too drunk. Basically, i do everything in my power not to abuse these drugs. This is what i recommend to anyone who's interested.

Well... i wrote a lot and now i'm sleepy. Gooooodnight.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]It's a shame I missed this thread when it first popped up. Oh well. I love pot. :love:[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]I'm still waiting for you to drop by. :(

Ach, not that I like weed myself. It's only for silly people and it stinks as hell. Though, I don't see much of a problem with it either, if you have cigarettes and alcohol legalized. Besides, through research is found out that it works against Alzheimer and other syndromes that make you silly! Yay![/size]

The13thMan apparently has a successful career as a drug dealer. "Just try it once, you'll like it. It's not as dangerous as they claim..." That's what they all say. ;P

I have to add that when something is illegal, it's not that simple to just go and try it. Well, maybe not in my country, luckily... You'd have to mess with a ruthless business to get it here, which in my opinion is only positive in that it keeps most kids away from the stuff.

Even if the gate theory wouldn't work in reality, there's always a good chance that the guy who sells you the stuff will start urging you to try some harder drugs. And that's really not the path anyone wants to walk...

[quote name='Sandy']The13thMan apparently has a successful career as a drug dealer. "Just try it once, you'll like it. It's not as dangerous as they claim..." That's what they all say. ;P

I have to add that when something is illegal, it's not that simple to just go and try it. Well, maybe not in my country, luckily... You'd have to mess with a ruthless business to get it here, which in my opinion is only positive in that it keeps most kids away from the stuff.

Even if the gate theory wouldn't work in reality, there's always a good chance that the guy who sells you the stuff will start urging you to try some harder drugs. And that's really not the path anyone wants to walk...[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Y'all a bunch a squares. =P

I live in the US of A. Where do you live?

There are plenty of college kids walking around selling pot. There are plenty of perfectly cool people around that sell marijuana. They might suggest you try a drop of acid or some other harder drug (maybe), but there's really no problem with saying no. They don't care. They just want your money. I don't know what experience you have with drug dealers, but i'd say marijuana dealers are usually pretty relaxed.

And perhaps there's a reason "we" all say that. Though i do appreciate you grouping me with a negative stereotype. That's very generous of you. I hope you just as equally appreciate my sarcasm. :animesmil
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Y'all a bunch a squares. =P[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]There's a difference between discussing the negative and positive effects of the drug and telling people they should go and 'try' it. Regardless of what anyone thinks it's illegal and encouraging others to 'try' it once, is really not appropriate here at all. It is not important to try things before having an opinion on them or making a claim.

So lets drop the you should try it bit since pushing for others to try illegal drugs isn't what this discussion is about. OtakuBoards is [B]not[/B] a place for encouraging people to check out illegal drugs just so they can have an opinion on them. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='AzureWolf']I think there is just hype over the lack of research, and what little research that has been done on the effects of marijuana smoke have been NOT BAD (doesn't mean same thing as good). This says nothing about the long-term effects, or anything else.

Ok, so there has been no research that shows any detrimental effects, but that is not the same as finding consistent, universal benefits either. The drug helps some people, hurts others. It is unpredictable.

Being responsible has little to do with legalizing a drug with unpredictable effects. That just makes no logical sense.[/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]All of you should have stopped shitting on each other when this post came up but, Jesus Christ, you guys really must need an outlet for your hot air.[/color]

I hate marijuana. I have never tried the stuff, but I've been around it before and it smells disgusting--absolutely repulsive--perhaps as bad as or worse than cigars. So, my reasons for not wanting marijuana legalized are probably superficial to that point.

I would never want marijuana to be legalized because it's bad enough as iwhen I have to walk through a wall of cigarette smoke to get into a building--I do not want to have to deal with the smell of marijuana on top of that.

Otherwise, I would not like to see marijuana legalized for moral reasons. I am not offended by others' decision to smoke marijuana and I am pretty laid back in general, but like Rachmaninoff, I do not believe that people need drugs or alcohol to have a good time. Those who believe that they need a drug to mellow out really aren't doing themselves any favors because they are not relaxing in an authentic or meaningful way--they are being maniuplated by a substance.

I also think that smoking in general is a little passe' and is being phased out. People have realized that smoking is pretty disgusting and have instead chosen to gorge themselves into obesity.

[font="trebuchet ms"] It's not like marijuana needs to be legalized. People who want it that badly can get it*, so stop whining about how it's illegal.

*As in, ask anyone in high school or college.

And seriously, if you're stupid enough to get caught, I don't care what your problems are. [/font]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]All of you should have stopped shitting on each other when this post came up but, Jesus Christ, you guys really must need an outlet for your hot air.[/color][/QUOTE]Sounds like someone is grouchy. :p

Anyway, I see no need to legalize it either. The few people I know who got into it changed and it was not a good thing. I'd rather not see more of my friends get messed up by illegal drugs, regardless of whether or not it's supposedly harmless if used responsibly. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Sounds like someone is grouchy. :p[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Very.

I am a cannibal who eats people who argue without thinking it through rationally. I ate The13thMan's liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

;)[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]Very.

I am a cannibal who eats people who argue without thinking it through rationally. I ate The13thMan's liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

;)[/color][/QUOTE]Now that sounds tasty! Blech! I agree with the 'argue without thinking it through rationally' bit though. >_> Something I'm sure I've been guilty of as well. XP But since that part was obvious... [[SIZE="1"]the arguing without thinking it through rationally bit that is[/SIZE]] I figured I'd just poke you instead. :p[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]There's a difference between discussing the negative and positive effects of the drug and telling people they should go and 'try' it. Regardless of what anyone thinks it's illegal and encouraging others to 'try' it once, is really not appropriate here at all. It is not important to try things before having an opinion on them or making a claim.

So lets drop the you should try it bit since pushing for others to try illegal drugs isn't what this discussion is about. OtakuBoards is [B]not[/B] a place for encouraging people to check out illegal drugs just so they can have an opinion on them. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I don't appreciate the lecture. Keep it to yourself next time.

Also, you're mistaken. I'm not encouraging people use marijuana illegally, only use it. Go fly to Amsterdam if you're so concerned with the law. Don't make presumptions on my statements and continue to scold me for them.

Once again, Y'all a bunch a squares.

Ooo, i'm mean. =D
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I don't appreciate the lecture. Keep it to yourself next time.

Also, you're mistaken. I'm not encouraging people use marijuana illegally, only use it. Go fly to Amsterdam if you're so concerned with the law. Don't make presumptions on my statements and continue to scold me for them.

Once again, Y'all a bunch a squares.

Ooo, i'm mean. =D
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Don't be stupid. You can't tell someone to only use it without it being illegal if they live in a country like the US were it [B]actually is illegal.[/B] Keep your stupid recommendations about using it to yourself. That's the point, telling someone to try it is encouraging them to do something[B] ILLEGAL[/B]. And OtakuBoards is [B]not[/B] the place for that, period.

Don't continue to be such an idiot with your presumptions that one has to have tried something before they can disagree with it. [/FONT][/COLOR]