OtakuBoards

Sad Anime Deaths

koon

[quote name='EyesOfHaruhi'][i]Clannad: After Story[/i] contains two death scenes which, to this day, still bring tears to my eyes.

[spoiler]The first is with Nagisa's death during childbirth due to her unknown illness.

But the worst is Ushio's death. Bring tissue, because you're going to need it.

While not a "death" per se, I was also moved by Fuko's appearance in [i]Clannad[/i], disturbed by her removal in the credits in [i]After Story[/i], but happy because she wakes up and befriends Ushio.

Note about the ending: Um, yeah. YOU figure it out.[/spoiler]
;)[/QUOTE]

Ugh, yes. I could see the former coming from a mile away, but that in no way diminishes how painful it is. The latter practically tore my heart to shreds. [spoiler]Ushio swoops in and becomes just about the most wonderful child ever in anime -- just by being a real kid! -- and watching her struggle through the snow is so heartbreaking.[/spoiler] It also made me momentarily terrified that [spoiler]Tomoya[/spoiler] wouldn't get a happy ending.

Probably the saddest moment in any anime I can think of is [spoiler]Akemi's death[/spoiler] in [b]Saikano[/b]. What leads up to it is [i]very[/i] contrived, but [spoiler]seeing Akemi laying on the bed, physically ravaged, pouring out all her buried feelings for Shuuji that have been hinted throughout the series and desperately trying to go out with a sense of dignity and closeness to the person she loves.[/spoiler] In a series littered with harsh, sad moments, that got to me the most. I don't know that I could ever watch it again, frankly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope I know how to do spoiler tags right...

I lean more toward silly comedies, so haven't seen too many deaths. Grave of the Fireflies goes without saying. And in Last Exile, [spoiler]Dio's death tore me up. I hated him at fiirst, and he gradually worked his way into my affections, just in time for his horrific fate among the Guild. And then, after Luceo already died to save him, Dio dies completely pointlessly and needlessly, mistakenly believing he killed his only friend. It was too cruel.[/spoiler]

As for Death Note, [spoiler] after L died, I only followed the manga to see Light get his comeuppance. Grr![/spoiler]

• 3 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"][B]Berserk [/B]- [spoiler]The entire original Band of the Hawks with the exception of Guts, Caska, Griffith and Corkus (because I never liked Corkus)[/spoiler]. After all the group went through those deaths certainly did create a massive downer, of course considering the anime ends pretty soon after that I guess that made it even worse.[/SIZE]

I forgot to mention Fantastic Children. All the deaths were sad, but I especially choked up when [spoiler]Hiisuma was killed. I didn't even like him much...but the poor little goober just wanted to go home. [/spoiler]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=Red]Hands down the death of [/COLOR][spoiler][COLOR=Black]Kikuchiyo[/COLOR][/spoiler][COLOR=Red] from Samurai 7. Partially because he was my favourite character, and partially because [spoiler]it was such a noble death. Sacrificing himself to protect Kanna. He embodied what it meant to be a samurai, despite his peasant upbringing. That was just heartbreaking[/spoiler] :animecry: [/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Gundam SEED's [spoiler]Nicol[/spoiler]. God damn it why is it that you seem to have to be a complete asshat to survive one of Sunrise's animes. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

A sad death, and it marks the turning point where [b]Gundam SEED[/b] actually becomes good!

[quote name='Shinmaru']A sad death, and it marks the turning point where [b]Gundam SEED[/b] actually becomes good![/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]:animesigh

I suppose you're right, the pace of things has picked up a bit since he and [spoiler]Tolle[/spoiler] bit it, again another side character I actually quite liked.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]:animesigh

I suppose you're right, the pace of things has picked up a bit since he and [spoiler]Tolle[/spoiler] bit it, again another side character I actually quite liked.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

And yet friggin' [spoiler]Flay[/spoiler] of all people lives until the end of the series. WTF.

[quote name='Shinmaru']And yet friggin' [spoiler]Flay[/spoiler] of all people lives until the end of the series. WTF.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][b][Edit][/b] Just got to the last episode and [spoiler]Flay's[/spoiler] death. Have to admit given how she matured over the course of the last 15/20 episodes I was actually a a bit sorry to see her die, with the speech afterwards.

That said, after Kira blocked the first shot and then the second one struck [spoiler]the shuttle[/spoiler]. The first thing I thought was "FAIL!". ^_^;[/size]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]At the end of Chrono Crusade, [spoiler]Rosette's death was a one of the saddest for me. It was one of the few anime deaths to actually make me shed tears rather than just get a bit teary-eyed. Throughout the whole series it sort of made me think they'd find a way to save her but it never happened. And then the way they showed it, with just her and Chrono sitting alone on the porch swing as it finally hit home that she really was out of time and she broke down and cried.... I couldn't help but cry along with Azmaria and the others when they found her the next morning.[/spoiler]

Air's [spoiler]Misuzu[/spoiler] ranks up there on my list as well.[/color][/QUOTE]

oh yeah, that was one of the saddest things i've ever seen.

Hmm, other sad anime deaths? well, from that series when [spoiler] Satella died it was pretty sad also, especially her past with her sister. when they hugged and the spear peirced them, it was sweet and extemely sad. why does every main character except Azmaria have to die?! [/spoiler]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[COLOR=Sienna]For me, the death of [spoiler]Euphemia and Shirley[/spoiler] of code geass and especially the death of [spoiler]lelouch at the end of r2[/spoiler] :animecry::animecry::animecry:
Their deaths made everyone cry, I guess. These are the most tragic dea[/COLOR][COLOR=Sienna]ths for me.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]I added spoiler tags to your post. Please make sure to use them in the future. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

• 1 month later...
i never cried so hard in my life while watching chrono crusade at the last episode OMG!! i nearly died watching that! lol
elfen lied made me cry like a baby and scrapped princess...every time i just see a picture of the guy i feel like crying.....::Cries::

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MCRfan333
In death note [spoiler]L's death that eefing ticked me off[/spoiler]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Please use spoiler tags in the future regarding things such as character deaths. It's common courtesy, since not everyone has seen the series. ~~Sangome[/SIZE][/FONT]

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=black]INSANELY HUGE SPOOOILERS, i'm sorry idk how to hide them! [/COLOR]

[spoiler][SIZE=1]Rolo Lamperouge[/SIZE] ;_; idk he died thinking the best about his brother and it was all a huge lie and asdfas. I can't handle it. and also, [SIZE=1]Lelouch's death[/SIZE]. I cried like a baby, srsly. I couldn't help myself but cry. He gave his life and his honor for a better world for his sister. [/COLOR]
[SIZE=1]Itachi Uchiha[/SIZE], arghh i cried too. I haven't even watched these episodes yet. I DON'T WANT. i almost died when i read it in the manga. [/COLOR]
[SIZE=1]Shuichiro[/SIZE] from Wish ;_; i thought he fainted or something.[/COLOR]
[SIZE=1]Rossette Christopher[/SIZE].. i can't even explain it .-.[/COLOR][/spoiler]

well there is 2 things I want to say about previous post before I list my fav deaths.

First on in DBZ you knew that if any of the fighters failed they were going to die. Goku gladly died several times in order to save the earth or universe from whatever. The point when Killian died was shocking because it was unexpected. He was there as a support member not as a true fighter. He never expected to go toe to toe with Frieza or Vegta and he knew that.

Second in some series (Naruto, One Piece, etc) there are expectations that people are going to die. It was one of those things that most of the deaths in Naruto were expected. You knew that one way or another either one fighter would die. It's not that I don't enjoy this Alpha vs Alpha but u know it won't be over til someone is dead.

Now onto my sad deaths.

Naruto
[spoiler] Azuma's death while fighting the dude with the scythe (I forget his name....) was truely tragic. [/spoiler]

[spoiler] Jiraya's death not only explained why he was who he was but also why he took an interest in Naruto. His death defined his character and showed his true nature[/spoiler]

One Piece
[spoiler] The death of the Going Merry was one of the first times an anime brought a tear to my eye. The fact that the ship took on a life of it's own and they didn't truely realize til she had to be burned and sent to the bottom of the sea.[/spoiler]

[spoiler] This is a combo death that is going to happen in the One Piece serise (it just happened in the manga) so it won't happen for another few weeks. It's the death of Portegez D. Ace and Whitebeard. It happens during an epic battle with all 3 Marine Admirals, the entire marine force at Marine HQ vs the Whitebeard Pirates, combined with the pirates known well throughout the new world. Luffy is in the center of the whole mess. Heck even Shanks appears in the most recent Manga.... I personally can't wait to see this whole thing play out. [/spoiler]

Those are my top one for sure.

As strange as it may seem, [spoiler]Light's[/spoiler] death in the Death Note series was very sad for me. Although[spoiler] he[/spoiler] had it coming to him, it was sad, perhaps that's because it marked the end of an amazing anime. :animedepr

• 5 weeks later...
[FONT=Arial]One sad Anime death is of course the death of [spoiler]Roy Focker[/spoiler] in 1982's "The Super Dimension Fortress Macross". [spoiler]It's not just the death of an awesome fighter pilot, but it's also a death that ended up tragically symbolizing the lost of everything a friend of his, Hikaru Ichijo valued in childhood thanks to the Zentradi pilot who murdered Roy.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Guys, let's not be afraid to use [spoiler]spoiler tags[/spoiler]. I went ahead and added them to the past couple of posts, but next time, be sure to add them yourselves. Remember -- just because you or a bunch of other people have seen a series doesn't mean everyone else has.[/SIZE][/FONT]