OtakuBoards

The OtakuBoards Nifty Fifty: 07 Edition(Nominate or Die)

Justin

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Who?

[b]Indifference[/b]: Because she likes me and thinks I'm gorgeous. That and she's not a sweaty 15 year old boy panting over his computer monitor.

[b]Allamorph[/b]: Because he's one of those sweaty boys panting over my image on his computer monitor. Just kidding. Actually it's because he's capable of deep thought, something I often feel is a dead art here on OB.

I'd nominate more, but my memory of 2007 is fading fast. Oh wait. Now I remember.

[b]Put On Your Red Shoes And Dance[/b]: With the minor exception of one post, it was an amazing duo RPG with two amazing cameos. Charles and I had an amazing ride, and it was fun while it lasted. And RicoTranzrig, former moderator and boyfriend of mine made his guest appearance. What more do you want?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[B]Who is it? [/B]

[color=crimson]DeathKnight[/color]

[B]Why is he nifty?[/B]

Because DeathKnight's posts are always fun to read. They often drip with delicious sarcasm and ironic wit. His sharp style can lighten the darkest days, and even causeth the blind to see.

Despite being [I]that[/I] cool, he never has to point that out. In fact, he has made fun of members who think they have to, in his typical style. D.K's 'fame' doesn't come from shameless self prmotion, and that in of itself is nifty.

His avatar is also an owl, that should win him a spot ont he 50 by [I]right.[/I] :p

[color=#4B0082][b]What is it?[/b] [thread=57786][u]What are You Watching/Reading Now?[/u][/thread] [size=1]by 2008DigitalBoy[/size]
[b]Why was it nifty?[/b] This is a handy thread for quick comments about anime/manga that people are currently watching and reading. Posts are usually short and sweet and provide people with impressions of the animes/mangas without them having to wade through a full blown discussion of the series. It's probably the best thread currently on OB for finding both new and old series that you might enjoy.

[b]What is it?[/b] [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/graphicworm.php?][u]OtakuBoards Graphic Worm[/u][/url]
[b]Why was it nifty?[/b] The graphic worm has got to be one of the coolest things to come out of the Art Studio. It grew (figuratively and literally) from a little member-run thread struggling to find hosting for the images to an official part of the OB Network and is now one of the most successful collaborative graphics projects on the site.

[b]What is it?[/b] [thread=57950][u]The Otaku Lounge Description[/u][/thread] [size=1]by Boo[/size]
[b]Why was it nifty?[/b] This thread demonstrated that no matter how small or trivial something might seem, if there's enough member support for a change on OB and there's no good reason not to do it, it'll be implemented.

[b]What is it?[/b] vB 3.6.7 upgrade
[b]Why was it nifty?[/b] Simply the change in version number, upgrading from vB 3.0.3 to 3.6.7, should tell you that this was a huge update to our forum software. Many new features were added and others improved upon to make both posting and moderating smoother and easier. The transition was a bit bumpy and it was a lot of work but the end result was loved by all.

[b]What is it?[/b] [thread=57362][u]Guide To Becoming An Internet Superstar At OtakuBoards - An Essay[/u][/thread] [size=1]by DeadSeraphim[/size]
[b]Why was it nifty?[/b] This was one of the best uses of satire on the site ever, even being immortalized in its own Otakupedia article. In the thread Alan (aka DeadSeraphim) set forth ways of gaining quick popularity on OB and others quickly joined in with their own methods, many of them using tongue-in-cheek humor to mock the various cliques and clichés that have appeared on the site over the years.

[b]What is it?[/b] [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=33065][u]Konata[/u][/url]
[b]Why was it nifty?[/b] Konata is an all around awesome member and one of the best to find their way to OB in 2007. She's intelligent, funny, and realizes that [i]internets r srs biznis.[/i] She was also honored as Member of the Month in the second issue of the Otaku Times.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Heh, I really did mean to write this up before the last day. Oh well, better late than never. ^_^'

[b]Who is it ?[/b] Crystia [Indifference]
[b]Why is she Nifty ?[/b] Because despite what her username seems to imply, she's one of the most friendly and kind people on the site. The more I get to know her, the more glad I am that I did get to know her in the first place. Crys is also an awesome writer, despite never admitting it.

[b]Who is it ?[/b] Aaryanna
[b]Why is she Nifty ?[/b] Another annual nomination from me and the reasons have yet to change, Aaryanna is simply an all-round great person. She's polite, calm and affable and one hell of a writer. As a fellow dog lover, she's awesome for that alone.

[b]Who is it ?[/b] D'Ann [Neuvoxraiha]
[b]Why is she Nifty ?[/b] Not only is OB's sexiest vixen my beloved wife [12/03/03], but she's probably the most prolific story writer on OB. From her current project Little Deaths, to older projects like High School Hell, as well as her portrayal as Macey Almagest in The Almagest Legacy, D is just a brilliant writer.

[b]Who is it ?[/b] Josh [Shy]
[b]Why is he Nifty ?[/b] *Whacks* I refuse to even explain this one. He's Josh, enough said.

[b]Who is it ?[/b] Mike [Zen]
[b]Why is she Nifty ?[/b] Even if he hasn't been active in the last while, I consider Mike to be OB's best action scene writer, and just a hell of a writer altogether. I hope that this year I'll get the chance to work with him again.

[b]Who is it ?[/b] Aaryanna_Mom
[b]Why is she Nifty ?[/b] Because she can put Sandy back in his place in about twenty words. ^_~ I'm just kidding Sandy. No, Mom is an awesome member because as OB's voice of reason and fairness, she's not afraid to tell people off when they've been jerks and she's definitely helped to make us all a little more grown up.

[b]What is it ?[/b] Nominating yourself to be Nifty
[b]Why is it Nifty[/b] See Ken's post, because he sums it up better than I could.

[b]What is it ?[/b] Hopeless [OB Horror Story]
[b]Why is it Nifty ?[/b] Go read it. Then come back here and smack yourself for asking that question. It's really a great read, and I don't want to say any more because if I do, I'll end up spoiling the plot.

[b]What is it ?[/b] OB's Artists [All of them]
[b]Why are they Nifty ?[/b] Because I'm a writer, I work with words to try and create a believable and enjoyable work for people to appreciate. When I write a character, I have to try and express my vision for that person's appearance and mannerisms in words alone. An artist can do this much more successfully and completely than I can, and OB's has some awesome artists.

[b]What is it ?[/b] OB's Writers [All of us]
[b]Why are we Nifty ?[/b] Because we create worlds with words for people to lose themselves in and have fun. From role-playing, to poetry, to anthology stories, we allow people to be themselves and yet be someone completely different. We allow people to get to know one another better, and with the like of The Almagest Legacy, let people experience life as a family with their friends who live far away.

And that's ten.[/SIZE]

What is it?
Arguing on the internet.

Why is it Nifty?
Because we're total psychos. No, but seriously, This is actually one of the better debate boards out there. I love a good debate. Although some people aren't good at it, it's really fun to see everyone's views on a subject laid on the table and be surprised at who you agree with.

What is it?
Otakuboards eBay.

Why is it Nifty?
Selling off other people's belongings over a fake internet auction is fun. I mean, I got paid in Chalupas for 21st Century Digital Boy! Besides, it was the only thread I've ever been slapped and fed in during the same post (shouldn't have tried to sell Aaryanna [dog.])

Who is it?
Desbreko and James

Why are they Nifty?
Without these guys, no OB. Plain and simple. Adam may still stop by sometimes, but he's not managing the site. These guys keep the site running, fix system hiccups, and are all around great to talk to. James is highly intellectual and a great debater. Des is even more of a gamer than I am and always makes sure to beat some sense into me if I go off on a Smash Bros. tangent.

Who?
Raiha

Why?
1. She's awesome.
2. She's hot.
3. She's standing right next to me holding a firearm.

Who:
21st Century Digital Boy

Why?
Because every site needs an elitist to kick around. Plus his constant name changing makes me wonder what he would do if I created a ghost account named 2009DigitalBoy.

[B]What is it?[/B] [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58074][u]A Change If You Will[/u][/url]
[B]Why was it nifty?[/B] It's an elegant (if unwitting) demonstration of the fact that some things never change.

[B]What is it?[/B] [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=25558][u]Fasteriskhead[/u][/url]
[B]Why was it nifty?[/B] I admire his persistence in the face of both honest & willful misunderstanding. Plus, he's a pretty chill guy, which is more than you can say of most people who talk philosophy online.

[B]What is it?[/B] Indigo
[B]Why was it nifty?[/B] Salvation for people (like me) who hate it when there's any possibility of color-clashing between their avatars and the site skin. I'm fond of Liquid & Geisha, but it's great having a neutral alternative to all that turquoise and purple.

~Dagger~

[size=1][b]What is it?[/b] Me

[b]Why is it Nifty?[/b] One, because no one else is going to do it. Two, because I've been here for a while (since '03 - although not as long as some) and STILL never been Nifty. So I'm due. :P

[b]What is it?[/b] Gavin

[b]Why is it Nifty?[/b] Because he's awesome.[/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B]What is it?[/B]
The Nifty Fifty Staff

[B]Why is it Nifty?[/B]
Because when it comes down to it, with out their time spent making the selections and then presenting it in a totally awesome and flashy manner? The nifty fifty just wouldn?t be as well? Nifty!

[B]What is it?[/B]
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57300"][U]I Forgot What You People Look Like[/U][/URL]

[B]Why is it Nifty?[/B]
Because you get to see how pretty everyone is! That and its fun to finally see the face behind the user name.

[B]What is it?[/B]
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58139"][U]The Official OtakuBoards Whine Day![/U][/URL]

[B]Why is it Nifty?[/B]
Because lets face it, we?re all whiny little brats at times and having an official day where not only was whining allowed but actually expected? was downright silly and fun.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][U]The 50 Themes of Art Studio[/U]

Possibly one of the most all-inclusive events the Boards has ever seen. It didn?t matter what your talents were; if you had an ounce of visual creativity in you, you could join.

I saw some of the coolest free-hand sketches in that thread....

[U]The Death Card series[/U]

Combine strategy, role-play, and Clue, and you have the essence of this amazing game title, which has already had four successful installments.

[U]The Banning (again) of The Blue Jihad[/U]

Even more overdue than that of the blathery Mitch, this decision was nifty because of the extreme tact and unobtrusiveness with which it was handled.

Seriously. I almost didn?t realize it had happened. (This makes James nifty by proxy, I think, but that?s another issue.)

[U]The OtakuBoards Graphic Worm[/U]

If nothing else, it?s just fun to watch it assemble itself.

[U]The Theater[/U]

It?s awesome, it?s chock-full of great stories in the making, and I live there.

[U]The Otakuboards Celebration: Part 1[/U]

Inspired by the interesting return of Rick Hunter and the surrounding Otakupedia fiasco, and continued for no reason whatsoever besides merriment and pie, it was simply a fun read.

I think I died a few times in it, but I got to collar Alex, so whatever. :p

[CENTER][SIZE="1"]------------------------[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]Oh and I'd like to make an [b]anti[/b]-vote on:
[QUOTE=indifference][COLOR="Indigo"][B]What is it?[/B]
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58120"]Views on self pleasure[/URL][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[/size][/QUOTE]
Seconded.

Sorry, Indi. Just . . . no.[/FONT]

Well I had planned on doing more, but most of what I wanted to nominate got covered, however, I do want to add these:

[B]What is it?[/B]
RPG?s that finish

[B]Why is it Nifty?[/B]
Because it seems like there are so few of them so it?s fun to see it when they happen. From the death card series to the first Silver One, Survivor 4 and even short events like the Stones of Power - Dirge spar. It?s definitely nifty to see people work together to weave the various stories in the Theater, taking them to their conclusion.

And though I'm sure it will perhaps surprise all of you I'm going to say yes to this though I think it needs a different reason as to why it would be considered nifty.[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"][B]What is it?[/B]
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58120"]Views on self pleasure[/URL] [/COLOR][/QUOTE][B]Why is it Nifty?[/B]
Because it shows that OtakuBoards is open enough that you can have silly threads like that without someone immediately getting offended and locking them down. I may not like them, but I applaud the more open minded nature of the staff that allows them.

Anyway, I think that wraps it up for me, even if I nominated something I never would, but seriously guys... lighten up! That kind of utter nonsense keeps the boards from being stale, even if I did shake my head. :p

A few more hours to go, and this thread shuts down, folks. If you have anything else left to say, say it now.

But please, don't nominate yourself while wrapping up your nominations. It just makes you look like a damned sight of a fool. :)

-Justin

[quote name='Dagger']Plus, he's a pretty chill guy, which is more than you can say of most people who talk philosophy online.[/QUOTE]Well, thanks - it's nice to know that I'm not [I]completely[/I] lumped in with that gang of thugs and charlatans. I guess being drenched in that kind of stuff on a daily basis eye are ell encourages me to be more casual about it when I talk shop here (although I don't get much of a chance anymore).

[B]What is it?[/B] [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57786"]What are You Watching/Reading Now?[/URL]
[B]Why is it nifty?[/B] Sometimes you really want to talk about something (say, a show), but [i]not quite enough[/i] to warrant starting a new thread about it. Starting a thread on a show is arduous. Sure, you could just write "such and such is good, what does everyone else think?", but you know and I know that that's exactly the kind of first post that a thread about a decent show/manga should not have. Yes indeed, to really do it justice you need a plot synopsis, character analyses, background of the creators' previous work, and so on - basically, you need to do the kind of work [year here]DigitalBoy puts in on a regular basis. That is just way, way too much damn work when you only want to say, for instance, that show x is pretty good and that you're going to keep watching it. All of this being the case, then, the What Are You Watching/Reading thread is a godsend. It's a catch-all for throwaway comments and isolated discussions - and, maybe even better, it lets you keep up with what the rest of the community's got its eye on. True, it's probably made us all a bit lazier overall, but I still love love love this thread. It's the PDA of Otakuboards - the timesaving organizational device that, a few years ago, we never knew we needed.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]What it be? Me.

Why it be dat? I love me. You don't love me, but I don't love you either. So, ha. Haaaa. Haaaaa. Haaaaa.

What it be? 2008Digitalboy

Why it be dat? There's a chance he has no life, and so he devotes it to the OB. And for that, I less than three him.

What it be? Prem

Why it be dat? The underdogs are always secretly cool. Prem gives me funny and awkward posts, that tend to make my day. Thanks for that Prem. By the way, your posts sometimes don't make sense, but I less than three you.

What it be? Sandy

Why it be dat? He's gay. I'm totally for it, d00d.

What it be? Jakehammeren

Why it be dat? He was by far the coolest guy in the amphitheater when he was around.. And everyone took the man for granted. I hope you all feel bad. That dude was awesome. And he would like you all to know... That the bands you're talking about aren't METAL. :]

What it be? Goodbye, Face

Why it be dat? I bet fifty of his posts have something to do with lashing out on me, Prem or DB. And, that my friends... Takes devotion. Thanks for being devoted to lowering our self esteem, Kev. Less than threez for you.

What it be? Everyone that still posts on OB!!!!

Why?????? Because you give me something to be amused by! :D
[/COLOR]

[/SIZE]

[COLOR="1234"]Oh, how could I forget...

[B]Who is it? Whoa, Mann

Why is he Nifty?[/B]
He's my bodyguard, and he's a good freind. He lightens me up sometimes, and he never dissapoints me. Plus, although he is a little bit unkown on OB, he's still one of the best here. Cheers, oh and your kidney's are mine.

[B]Who is it? Allamorph

Why is he Nifty?[/B]
He's funny, inteligant, smart and a good freiend. He helped me a bit earlier this year, and for that I thank him. Cheeres Allamorph, keep up the good work.[/COLOR]