OtakuBoards

The Dark Knight

Allamorph

[font=franklin gothic medium]I saw this last night...my god it was long. A little too long.

Still, it was very enjoyable and significantly better than Batman Begins, I think.

While I would hesitate to say that Ledger was the best villain [i]ever[/i] (who can really make such a proclamation?), I do think that he was undeniably amazing. And he will definitely be remembered as [i]the[/i] definitive "Joker". Topping Jack Nicholson is certainly not easy, but Ledger did it with apparent ease.

What I really liked about this Batman was the story. It was far deeper than any Batman film before it and it was full of gritty tragedy. The latter part is important because it didn't feel like a typical glossy men-in-capes type of thing. It wasn't campy, really. It felt like "this is how the world would really be if Batman existed". And of course, in the real world, tragedy is very real and the story doesn't always end happily.

I liked that The Dark Knight had the guts to be this way. It wasn't just dark for the sake of being dark; it revealed the complex (and very realistic) nature of crime and criminals, as well as the nature of public faith. Some very interesting and relevant lessons in there.

The acting was utterly superb throughout. Bale was wonderful as Batman, Freeman was heartwarming and funny, Eckhart was fantastic as Dent and of course, Ledger was the best Joker we've seen.

I guess my only two gripes are that the film was just a little too long and, although I loved Harvey Dent...Two Face wasn't all that great. I mean he was a very "real" villain and his component in the story was critical, but I suppose he just wasn't interesting at all. Then again, The Joker was [i]so[/i] interesting that it's pretty hard to compete.

Overall, I'd say it's probably the best superhero film I've seen. It's not just about the combat and the special effects, it is very much a character-driven piece. The dialogue in particular is notable for being eloquent and very appropriate for each character.

Still, without The Joker, I think I might have gotten quite a bit more bored by the end. He was very much the center of the film, entertainment-wise and he definitely carried it.

He had a ton of great moments, including [spoiler]the whole hospital sequence[/spoiler]. He was scary, funny, sad and everything in between.

So yeah, I imagine this will be a big hit for Batman fans.

[b]Edit:[/b] Oh and to address Aceburner's comments about The Joker:

[spoiler]That was the whole point. There are several times during the movie where you don't know whether you should laugh or be disgusted. The fact that The Joker turned a horribly violent act into a joke (at least he thought it was funny), was absolutely fitting for his character.

I didn't see The Joker as a contradiction at all. He actually explained his motivations and point of view several times during the film. I think it's just that he was almost the polar opposite of the establishment. He was like anarchy personified.[/spoiler]

As for people taking their four year olds, I personally don't think this movie would be suitable for very young children. However, that isn't because of the way Ledger died (P.J. was right with what he said). I think it has more to do with the fact that this was a violent and dark film. It's probably fine for teens, but probably not so good for very young children.[/font]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]However, that isn't because of the way Ledger died (P.J. was right with what he said). I think it has more to do with the fact that this was a violent and dark film. It's probably fine for teens, but probably not so good for very young children.[/font][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I really never meant for it to sound that way. I was just using it as an example for how gritty and dark it is. Bad example, I see.

As for Joker, yeah. I know. It just kind of bothered me how everyone in the theater instantly cracked up every time he shot a guy in the face. No hesitation at all. The guy [I]is[/I] supposed to be a creep, after all.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aceburner'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]As for Joker, yeah. I know. It just kind of bothered me how everyone in the theater instantly cracked up every time he shot a guy in the face. No hesitation at all. The guy [I]is[/I] supposed to be a creep, after all.[/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Navy]
But that's the point, he is the Joker. JOKE-er. He doesn't just shoot the guy in the face, he does something comical. Something that is scary, but you can't help but bring yourself to crack up.

[spoiler]When he pulled the pencil trick, not only did I laugh, I clapped. His delivery was not only unexpected, it was in true Joker fashion.[/spoiler]

That is how the Joker operates. It's not what he is doing, it's how he delivers it. If you don't realize that, then maybe you don't understand the character. Of course he is a creep. That's why we all enjoy him.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Alright, I'm getting tired of this, I'll just lay it all on the table here.

[I]I get his deal.[/I] I know how the Joker operates and all that. I know he's supposed to be funny in a dark way. I know he's supposed to be flashy and big.

I'm just not too fond of the Joker in general. I guess I've always preferred the other guys, like Killer Croc or Two-Face. The serious ones. I've never really liked how Joker can kill, torture and maim on a whim and then just laugh it off right afterwards. Not that I grudge you all on it, but it's really not my cup of tea.

(By the way, what was up with Scarecrow in the beginning there? Was there really a point in him reappearing? I thought he was dealt with.)

To end on a lighter note here: Shark-Repellent Bat Spray. Discuss.[/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I didn't get the Scarecrow thing either. That seemed very random and odd, but perhaps I'm missing something.

As for Joker...I think personal preference is totally fine. I personally think that what makes Joker effective is the fact that he's truly scary. And the fact that he doesn't have a typical motivation makes him even more creepy.[/font]

[SIZE="1"]I love it. I saw the midnight showing on thursday with my boyfriend and his friend, then again on friday with him and five others. It was even better the second time around, and it seemed the audiance was more lively this time too, lol.

Heath Ledger's performance was astonishing, he totally made the character. Just the way he ansered questions, or explained things gave you the creeps but also made you laugh at his personality as he did so. All the actors did a great job with this, although Rachel got on my nerves more than anything else.

One of my favorite scenes was when[SPOILER]the Joker was dressed as a nurse, priceless.[/SPOILER]

Go see it.[/SIZE]

I thought the point of the Scarecrow thing was just to show us the [spoiler]fake Batmen,[/spoiler] with the minor twist that Scarecrow himself [spoiler]was still under police control and being used as bait.[/spoiler] It made sense to me--if they were going to have a scene like that, might as well use a character we already know. If it were a random villain, it would've been more confusing when [spoiler]he turned out to be working (albeit unwillingly) with the police all along.[/spoiler]

Or did you guys already cover that?

Either way, I have to admit that it made me really want to see the Joker break Scarecrow's mind. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Navy]Christopher Nolan did a great job with both of his Batman movies, and I personally hope he has another one coming. It seems like he is favoring the darker, more realistic villains. If he does work on a new movie I'm wondering which villain he would go with in this film?

I know he has already used Joe Chill, Ra's al Ghul, Zsasz (hidden in Batman Begins), Scarecrow, Joker (of course), and [spoiler]Two-face.[/spoiler]

I would love to see them use Firefly, Bane, or Hush.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='P.J. McKrafty'][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Navy]
I know he has already used Joe Chill, Ra's al Ghul, Zsasz (hidden in Batman Begins), Scarecrow, Joker (of course), and [spoiler]Two-face.[/spoiler]

I would love to see them use Firefly, Bane, or Hush.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]But remember, they tried using Bane before and it was quite honestly the most horrific villain from any movie ever, right down to the little rubber hoses.

I mean honestly, if they use Bane again I can only DREAM that they'll be better at it now. HO YES, I think Lady Shiva would be more amusing and feed the shameless fanboys that would just love to see a hot asian girl with swords.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='P.J. McKrafty'][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Navy]I would love to see them use Firefly, Bane, or Hush.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]Those are two and a half of the worst Batman villains ever. I say 'half' because Hush is well... [i]Hush[/i]. Visually he is pretty cool, but I've always found his motivations and characterization pretty generic. [spoiler]However, if you like Firefly he [i]kind of[/i] cameo'd in the Batman: Gotham Knight anime shorts. As did Killer Croc.[/spoiler]

Call me old-fashioned, but Batman villains always boil down to the 'Big Four.' Joker, Riddler, Catwoman and Penguin. Since we already got Joker, I wouldn't be surprised to see one, if not all of the others make an appearance.

I just got back from the theater and I absolutely loved it. My biggest complaint was with the length of the film, but every scene felt neccessary. It all tied together so well, I can't imagine what they could do to trim the length. [spoiler]Actually, the whole 'Batman cell-phone wiretapping' thing could go, but I imagine this kind of thing will be the springboard for plot points in later films.

The deaths were shocking and the non-deaths were equally as shocking.[/spoiler] Excellent film all-around.

BIG FAN!

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I recently saw the Dark Knight and everyone knows what I am going to say from here. About Heath being the best, most believable Joker I have ever seen (I happen to be quiet twisted so i was laughing hysterically with each punch line, albeit it was sometimes unnecessary but still amusing to me.) Dent was a believable character as well and defiantly inspired that feeling of the true goodness in the city, When Rachel went I almost crapped myself, i really couldn't believe they had done that and it left me in awe and shock. The Pencil trick was personally my favorite trick and I will watch the movie many more times just to see his prestidigitation of the whole situation.

Next bit I will go on about is the next villains that should come into the picture, penguin is not an option in my mind because he wasn't a good villain and isn't very believable. Catwoman has been done twice and she wasn't that good in either movie, Riddler has been seen once and I would like to see the twist they give him. To see how they shape him into one of the masterminds of the old batman comics and show.

On a another note of Joker, not everyone is gonna like him, and the reason why he can blow someone to hell, kill people senselessly and maim anyone he sees he can; Is simply because he is "super-sane" as is one of the reasons they say he can be the way he is. Anyone not read the wikipedia on him, this is for you. Joker is, as I said, super-sane. He is in a constant state of personality change to cope with the reality of the world around him, which is why he can execute horribly graphic and brutal jokes with a twisted smile on his face and his most excellent and terrifying laugh. Of course this is only one of the theories on why Joker is the way he is. But hey, I only know so much and for all I know, the writers simply made him a psycho with a funny disposition.

And to finish this off, i leave you with the best quote of the movie. From Joker : "[COLOR="Purple"][B]Why[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]so[/B] [/COLOR][COLOR="Red"][B]serious[/B][/COLOR]?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]P.S. I really just wanted some reason to say it :D[/SIZE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Personally, I thought the movie was amazing. I didn't think anything would top the Hulk and Iron Man for me, but boy, was I wrong. The realistic feel of Batman's plight, the way Heath Ledger actually persuaded the crowd to love the psychopathic joker, and a Harvey Dent who I truly believed in... I knew it would be good, but that good? I mean, wow. I'll admit, yes, a great deal of it was depressing, but that only made it better for more me- more life like. [spoiler]Especially Batman taking the rap for Harvey's rampage.[/spoiler] I think putting Batman into that situation shows him as a real hero- fighting against injustice even as the people he defends hate him- like Spider-man, but more awesome. I only had one real complaint [spoiler](as I really wasn't all perturbed by the death of Rachel, I really didn't like her)[/spoiler]:

[spoiler]The death of Harvey "Two-Face" Dent. I mean, what the hell? The choice to portray him as a hero pushed over the edge into anti-heroism was brilliant, but I was seriously hoping he'd be the main villain for the next Batman.[/spoiler]

Otherwise, I thought it was the best movie ever. A friend of mine complained about the multitude of story lines, but I actually found that enjoyable- I liked chronicling other exploits aside from Batman's. It was great watching the events of the movie unfold from both sides- or rather: The Heroes [spoiler](Batman, Commissioner Gordon, Harvey Dent)[/spoiler] and the Villains [spoiler](the thug lords and the Joker).[/spoiler]

Again, all-in-all, wonderful, wonderful movie. Heath Ledger wins best Joker in my book. I've never been so terrified and awestruck at once [spoiler](who was actually cringing when the Joker put his knife to people's faces? I seriously thought they were gonna show him carve someone up)[/spoiler] Christian Bale wins best Batman. Hell, the whole cast just gets "Best and Most Believable Batman Cast Ever." Ahh, and this movie would also get an award for "Best Magic Trick"- making a pencil dissapear in a man's face.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][I]Oh, and I know it's been said quite a bit, but seriously, Batman and Robin was horrible.[/I][/SIZE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Oh man, I loved this movie, I have to say personally that these newer batman movies are so much better than the older ones. The gadgets, vehicles, outfits, it all was so much darker and better then the first, I have I to say that if no one has seen it go and see it, it is the best, absolute best Batman movie I've ever seen. Heath Ledger as Joker was the best casting move they made. He did it perfectly and he has the laugh down to an art. It's a must see.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]With regards to all those Joker scenes when people didn't know whether to laugh or be disturbed... I think I was the only one at my screening who laughed hysterically at all of them! I even laughed when he was [spoiler]telling the story about how he got his scars and then changed it the next time he told it[/spoiler], just awesome!

And as for the [spoiler]pencil[/spoiler], by God that was awesome! The combined force of Ledger and Bale owned this movie! No question. Couldn't stand Harvey Dent though. A really unlikeable character in my opinion. So much so that I didn't take the time to remember the actors name. ¬_¬ [spoiler]The effects of Two-Face was amazing though.[/spoiler]

My only real gripe (and technically it's not even about the movie), is the fact that Ledger was signed on to do a sequel, but alas. Really does sadden me.[/size]

[quote name='Andrew'][size=1]

My only real gripe (and technically it's not even about the movie), is the fact that Ledger was signed on to do a sequel, but alas. Really does sadden me.[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]Kind of heartbreaking really. [spoiler] the Joker didn't die in the end, and we also got to see a little cameo of Scarecrow in the beginning. I would of love to see a similar cameo, if not a bigger role with the Joker. Or at least some insight to where the scars really came from.[/spoiler]:animesmil

Well, while I'm still posting. [spoiler]the Bat Pod is sweet, but long lived the Tumbler.[/spoiler]

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='desertphoenix'][COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]Kind of heartbreaking really. [spoiler] the Joker didn't die in the end, and we also got to see a little cameo of Scarecrow in the beginning. I would of love to see a similar cameo, if not a bigger role with the Joker. Or at least some insight to where the scares really came from.[/spoiler]:animesmil[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'd guess they could have enough unused material from this movie for him to make a short cameo in the sequel. Who knows?

I really, really, [I]really[/I] liked the movie, despite it's lenght. Although, the only problem I had with the lenght was that I almost forgot what happened in the beginning, what triggered the events. There sure were many scenes that could've been deleted, but that would've probably made the story less deep than what it was now.

I'll boldy name the Dark Knight as the best comic-based movie I've ever seen (and I've seen quite a many). It really has almost everything I look forward in a movie: great characters with visible development, many twists to the plot, deep philosophy, dazzling visuals, exciting action scenes and thrilling moments.

What I would've liked to see was more stronger female roles. Sure, Rachel was prominent, but she was pretty much the only girl in a sausagefest (I wouldn't complain if the men were more to my liking in appearance, but alas, they weren't).

I also couldn't help to roll my eyes on the lenghty villain monologues in the climatic scenes, but I guess they're a given on every superhero movie.

[quote name='Sandy']

I also couldn't help to roll my eyes on the lenghty villain monologues in the climatic scenes, but I guess they're a given on every superhero movie.[/QUOTE]

I take it you haven't read enough comic books then, or at least, The Killer Joke. The Joker can be quite the talker when he wants to be.

[quote name='Matt']I take it you haven't read enough comic books then, or at least, The Killer Joke. The Joker can be quite the talker when he wants to be.[/QUOTE]

I think you misread my sentence. I'm very aware that supervillains always fall into lenghty monologues at the most crucial moment, allowing the hero to escape while their jabbering on. I just kind of expected that this movie would be above that, but no avail. XD

[quote name='chibi-master']Okay, yesterday my mom asked me if I wanted to see this movie. My answer?
"I dunno..."
Yes, I gave the typical teen answer to everything. I can't decide if I want to see it or not. Anyone have some suggestions on whether or not I should go?:confused:[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]If you don't go, think of it as selling out humanity.

I saw it today.

AWESOME.

Inspired me to make an RPG ^_^.

I'll post more later when I can think straight.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]If you don't go, think of it as selling out humanity.

I saw it today.

AWESOME.

I'll post more later when I can think straight.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

You were thinking of starting a superhero RP as well? Shoot me up on AIM.

[quote name='Vicky'][SIZE=1]If you don't go, think of it as selling out humanity.

I saw it today.

AWESOME.

I'll post more later when I can think straight.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well then, sounds like I'm going to see it! After all, I like humanity when it's [I]not[/I] sold out.

[quote name='chibi-master']Well then, sounds like I'm going to see it! After all, I like humanity when it's [I]not[/I] sold out.[/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]So the collective orgasm of the reaction in this thread wasn't enough to convince you, but one more spurt tipped the scale? I'm baffled.[/font]