OtakuBoards

Your Latest Musical Obsession

Aberinkula

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Sometimes, we buy an album, or hear a song and go meh. But sometimes a good song drives us further and halts us within the town of Obsession. So, I ask you, what is your latest musical obsession. It can be 1 song, it can be 1 album, or it could be a whole band.

For me, it's [B]Chevelle[/B]. In under a week I've bought two of their CD's, [I]Vena Sera[/I] and [B]This Type of Thinking (Could do us in). [/B]which is different for me, because I never in my life have bought two albums from the same band in the same week. But god, Chevelle is awesome. They could be compared a bit to Tool, but mostly due to lead singer [B]Pete Loeffler[/B], who can go from soft and melodic to harsh and aggressive. And also, they have some similarity between their voices that I just love.

Also, Pete has an [I]AMAZING [/I]writing talent, using metaphors at almost every turn. ([B]"Time holds us for a minute, it dries the wrists like penicillin" [/B]- [U]Brainiac[/U] from [U]Vena Sera[/U].) Plus, the lyrics, while sometimes very serious sounding, can be very foolish. Like the song Get Some, which is really based on drinking whiskey and passing out on the yard.

To really show how much I love Chevelle, I've hardly had any time to listen to Coheed and Cambria.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms] [b]The Bi*ch of Living[/b] from [i]Spring Awakening[/i], because it's hilarious and I love the fact that it's about [spoiler]teenage guys in 1800s Germany who aren't getting any[/spoiler]. But also strangely very catchy and fun to sing... lol
[/font]

[SIZE="1"]Like Crys, "What are you Listening to ?" gives away my latest musical obsession, or rather my latest two obsessions in the form of [B]Disturbed[/B] and [B]Nickeback[/B]. Mostly listening to the former at the moment, having heard their remake of "[I]Perfect Insanity[/I]" for their up-coming album Indestructible. Decent piece, but it wouldn't be my favourite Distubed song.

Of Nickelback, [i]Someone That You're With[/i] from All The Right Reasons has just clocked up it's jus over the hundred listenings mark according to iTunes, with [I]Fight for All the Wrong Reasons[/I] two places behind it. Awesome band, I wish I hadn't taken so long to get their stuff.[/SIZE]

Nickleback, Nickleback, Nickleback! I love Savin' Me and Someone That You're With too, Gavin! Funny, I had never heard of them or listened to their songs until summer of 2006 when my friend forced his MP3 headphones into my ears and made me listen to them. I'm very glad he did!

Where would I even begin? >_> I have so many things that I consider a music obsession and I could easily spend hours listing all of them and the reasons as to why you should check them out. XP I don't have just one album or recent song that I'm geeking over so to speak, I have so many that it's a challenge to decide just which one I'm going to listen to.

If we are going by recent additions that are not classical in nature, then I would have to list Nightwish, specifically their Dark Passion Play album, as it's one of the more recent additions to my library as it were. I like it because of this aspect: As with their previous studio album, Once, the band worked with the London Session Orchestra and Metro Voices Choir while recording the album. There's just no getting around how powerful the songs are on account of the orchestral work that went into the songs.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"]I think I'm overdosing with all this [B]Vitamin R (Leading us Along) [/B]by [B]Chevelle[/B]. It's kind of funny how a song about addiction to Ritelin can be addicting itself. But really, once I start hearing I have to listen to it 10 times more.

I suggest this song to anyone who's a fan of any grundge/post-grunge, Alice in Chains, Breaking Benjamin, whatever, LISTEN TO THIS SONG![/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Panache']Tchaikovsy Owns My Soul!!!!

I don't know why...it just does.[/QUOTE]Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky is one that I would list and then the reasons as to why one should love his music would run into a full length essay/paper. He has so many works that I enjoy listening to.

Anyway, you all already know that one of my main obsessions is Sergei Rachmaninoff. Rachmaninoff is regarded as one of the most influential pianists of the 20th century. His stuff is just fantastic and I pretty much never get tired of listening to it... :animesmil In fact, I think I'm going to go and put in one of his piano concertos to listen to. Heh.

Well there is Nightwish's album Once, however my other album that I got recently that I really love listening to is [B]National Treasure: Book of secrets[/B] I really like the orchestral music from this movie. It has so many pretty and moving moments that I enjoy hearing. Hehe. I've listened to it a lot since I acquired it.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]For some reason, I have this odd obsession with[B] Blink-182[/B] right now. All that pop-punk stuff is kinda bleh, but at least Blink does it right with some good drumming and appropriately worked guitar pieces. As far as songs go, it'd have to be [I]Online Songs[/I] and [I]Story of a Lonely Guy[/I].

I'm also hyped up on [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B]. Most people are still riding the [I]Almost Easy[/I] radio play waves...but right now I'm stuck on [I]Afterlife[/I] and [I]Unbound: The Wild Ride[/I]. Gonna get a chance to see them in a few weeks here. It's gonna be sick I'm sure.

For some reason as far as performing music goes, I have an obession with using double ride cymbals in our more recent song making ventures. Kinda speeds up our song tempo, but I think that the musicality our band is known for still is evident. Most bands now a days sacrifice musicality for speed...the result is bland sounding music. My set is starting to resemble the Devil's set from Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.[/FONT]

[size=1]The latest edition to my musical obsessions would have to be [B]Dream Theater[/B]! They're such an underrated band in my opinion and I'm very sorry that I'm only now really appreciating them. [B]Systematic Chaos[/B], they're recent album is currently what's playing in the car, in the house and on my Laptop almost constantly.

The friend who originally got me into them is sending me odd songs from the other albums which are being added to my Media playlist in a similar manner and I'm most likely gonna splash out on some more albums after pay day when I decide to do a bit more shopping!

I'm not even gonna bother going into why I like DT's music, I just wouldn't do them justice. I highly recommend![/size]

Guest withcake
Most recent obsession: Arctic Monkeys. They're upbeat and look like a chess club when they perform live, but [I]I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor[/I] is so stimulating, and [I]Mardy Bum[/I]- it describes every downer-friend day I've ever had. I listen to them at least once a day. For now...

[Andrew: I've had one of Dream Theater's CD's for a while now, but never really listened to it, I suppose I should get on that. xD]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero.

It's like a throwback to the days of Star****ers Inc. and Head Like A Hole. And that brings me such joy. The heavy electronic sounds with deep, complex bass lines are also fascinating, now that I have access to my parent's ridiculously expensive sound systems, and as such can now really enjoy the music.

.....until they come home and find me rocking out to it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Isn't this thread awfully similar to "[B][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57779]What Are You Listening To?[/url][/B]"?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]Not really, listening to a song doesn't automatically equal being obsessed with it. :p Though that reminds me that I probably should go and trim some songs out of my play list altogether since there's plenty in there that other than a few times... I'm sick of hearing already.

Unlike the Nightwish I mentioned earlier in this thread, the more I hear that, the more I like it. Hence my listing it as an obsession. You could also say the same about some of Depeche modes music, though that's not a recent obsession. I have my moments when it is, like the other day, I was listening to all my cd's of that off and on all day.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][quote name='Andrew'][size=1]The latest edition to my musical obsessions would have to be [B]Dream Theater[/B]! They're such an underrated band in my opinion and I'm very sorry that I'm only now really appreciating them. [B]Systematic Chaos[/B], they're recent album is currently what's playing in the car, in the house and on my Laptop almost constantly.

The friend who originally got me into them is sending me odd songs from the other albums which are being added to my Media playlist in a similar manner and I'm most likely gonna splash out on some more albums after pay day when I decide to do a bit more shopping!

I'm not even gonna bother going into why I like DT's music, I just wouldn't do them justice. I highly recommend![/size][/QUOTE]
Oh I love Dream Theater :animesmil I don't think their music is as mind-blowing as [B][URL="http://www.myspace.com/opeth"]Opeth[/URL][/B]'s unearthly rock, but they are pretty awesome.

Recently, though, I've become a die-hard fan of the [B]Gorillaz[/B] :animeswea Their music just makes me happy lol[/SIZE]

Right now I'm obsessed with 30 seconds to Mars. A lot of people say they're an emo band, they're not. I've only borrowed a couple of their CD's (from which I cannot remember the names) but I'm working on getting some of my own.

The flow of their music is kinda... unique and it sounds good. Something inspirational, and it lets me bang my head on some songs. So yeah, 30 seconds to Mars.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]If we are talking about recent musical obsessions then I have to list Nightwish. I picked up Dark Passion Play last fall and recently picked up their Once album. [[SIZE="1"]this is where Allamorph snickers[/SIZE]] But it doesn't change the fact that I really enjoy their music. It's not often that I get something that I like that much. Perhaps not as much as Crystia but still. :p

It's that combination of metal with what I consider my type of music, the symphonic side. I love orchestration and soundtracks to movies so that part of those two albums is what draws me to it in the first place. [/FONT][/COLOR]

Is Allamorph and I the only ones who like composed music around here? >.>

Well, I've been having a fascination with the third disc opening track of the "Universe At War: Earth Assault" soundtrack. It was composed and written by Frank Klepacki, who you probably know as the guy behind the majority of the Command & Conquer soundtracks, as well as "Star Wars: Empire at War".

[U]Divine Intervention[/U] is the first song of the Masari race. It begins with this amazing chorus, and throughout the entire three and a half minutes, it is a beautiful mixture of chorus, classic orchestra, and techno. A beautiful song, and a great action piece.

You guys should check the soundtrack out. It was released for free. [URL="http://www.petroglyphgames.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7587&hl="][U]Here[/U][/URL] you go.

[color=darkred][size=1]I've slowly started to become a bigger fan of [b]All That Remains[/b], a Metalcore band from Mass who's sound, while my friends tell me is influenced almost entirely by Killswitch Engage, is more suited to me than anything else in the genre.

Normally, I'm a Hip Hop fan almost strictly, listening only to the best that other genre's have to offer. At the moment, [b]All That Remains[/b] is the only Metalcore band that I listen to and really I enjoy it more than most other music related to it. The super brutal guitars, the heavy, heavy drums, and the singer who's ranges from relatively easy listening singing tofull on battle cries is all great. Some of my favorite songs by them currently are:

[b]Six[/b] (as featured on Guitar Hero II's bonus tracks.)
[b]The Weak Willed[/b]
[b]This Calling[/b]

Most bands in their genre are too dark or depressed sounding for my tastes, where is [b]All That Remains[/b] feels more "aggressive" to my ears, and rarely veers from its firey sound. Love it.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Matt;809056]Is Allamorph and I the only ones who like composed music around here? >.>[/QUOTE][quote name='Rachmaninoff']Anyway, you all already know that one of my main obsessions is [B]Sergei Rachmaninoff[/B']. [/quote]Sounds like some education on your part is in order Matt. :p I'll even help you out since I spent far too long writing up a bit on one of my favorite [I]composed[/I] pieces by Rachmaninoff: [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/overture/view/6171/sergei_rachmaninoff_-_piano_concerto_no._2/"][U]Piano Concerto No. 2[/U][/URL]