OtakuBoards

Does anyone believe in love at first sight???

Lunar

[COLOR="Red"]Look, I don't want to get all mushy here, and believe me, I'm [I]not[/I] an avodcate for romance novels, but, i was wondering if anyone still believes you can love some one as soon as you see them. What do [I]i [/I]say? heck no!!! that person so can be so ultra cute but be a psycho who chops you up into pieces and eats you if you leave him (or her for you guys out there). that's kinda crazy, but what do you think those scary movies come from, huh? you don't know someone until you spend time with them. period.:animeangr[/COLOR]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That depends on what your definition of Love is. In order for me to love someone I need to have a deep and meaningful relationship with them already. So yea that's impossible at first site obviously. Now I know for a fact people fall in LUST with people at first site all the time. Hell I do it every day I go to school. But alas lust and love are vastly different from each other.

[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I agree with LUST at first sight. That kind of worries me, because I think I just fell for that. I'm not so sure though, because lust is usually very...very shallow.

A friend of mine is trying to hook me up with a very pretty girl who actually wants to know me better. I also want to get to know her better, but I'm worried that it might just be motivated by lust. So far, all I know about her is that she's down to earth, but yet likes to hang around my crazy friends, so I think I'm in the clear.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='desertphoenix'][FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I agree with LUST at first sight. That kind of worries me, because I think I just fell for that. I'm not so sure though, because lust is usually very...very shallow.

A friend of mine is trying to hook me up with a very pretty girl who actually wants to know me better. I also want to get to know her better, but I'm worried that it might just be motivated by lust. So far, all I know about her is that she's down to earth, but yet likes to hang around my crazy friends, so I think I'm in the clear.
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Well I mean your gonna care about looks to some degree. It's human nature. But I don't think you should make a big deal about if your shallow or not. I mean if she's a total ***** you won't stay with her just beacuse she's attractive? As long as you aren't that fargone I think you are okay.

[quote name='Panache']Well I mean your gonna care about looks to some degree. It's human nature. But I don't think you should make a big deal about if your shallow or not. I mean if she's a total ***** you won't stay with her just beacuse she's attractive? As long as you aren't that fargone I think you are okay.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I completely agree.

Which reminds me that I need to give up the nice-guy routine, because we are a dieing breed.

p.s. I don't really get how my writing always comes off in a serious tone, when I'm usually very mellow. Never mind, I guess that's just life
[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]Which reminds me that I need to give up the nice-guy routine, because we are a dieing breed.[/QUOTE]

Just be true to yourself. If you are it will show in your actions. If your a nice guy be a nice guy to the best of your abilities. If your not then don't try to be what your not. I am usually only nice to the people I care about. To everyone else I am pretty much indifferent too or a dick too.

[COLOR="Red"]oh my gosh! what the heck? lust at first sight, love at first sight. i can't take it anymore! i'm out! and really, um, lets just stay on topic. no boyfriend girlfriend stuff. love at first sight=bah. romance=bah. stupid, stupid stupid.:animeangr[/COLOR]

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]oh my gosh! what the heck? lust at first sight, love at first sight. i can't take it anymore! i'm out! and really, um, lets just stay on topic. no boyfriend girlfriend stuff. love at first sight=bah. romance=bah. stupid, stupid stupid.:animeangr[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Well you should expect some level of romance to be discussed in a thread like this. Anyway I think lust has more to do with nature than romance. It's just an emotion that people feel when an attractive person of the opposite sex(or I suppose the same sex too).

[quote name='Panache']I don't understand...how can you immediately have a deep meaningful relationship with someone by looking at them? Do you guys just have a really simple definition of love or something?[/QUOTE]

No, no, you silly!:animesmil We have super powers that you can only gain by truly and whole-heartedly believing in the very depths of love. If you don't understand what I just said, then oh, well.:p

[quote name='chibi-master']No, no, you silly!:animesmil We have delusions that you can only gain by truly and whole-heartedly believing in the very depths of love. If you don't understand what I just said, then oh, well.:p[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]fixed.

Love is not possibe at first sight because love is not based on sight. "Love at first sight" is infatation. It could develp into love, yes, but i's not love.[/color]

[QUOTE]No, no, you silly! We have super powers that you can only gain by truly and whole-heartedly believing in the very depths of love. If you don't understand what I just said, then oh, well.[/QUOTE]

I dunno sounds like simple lust to me. When I was younger I used to see beautiful women and think they had to be perfect for me. I guess I thought it was love at first sight. But really it;s not. It's a superficial temporal state of mind. Love in my opinion is long lasting if not eternal and requires time and nurturing it isn't. That said you should not focus on searching for love really but focus on taking care of people. Then the love will spawn automatically. I think the whole love at first sight thing requires one to believe in the whole soul mate thing which I don't really buy. I think people are completely capable of having a deep personal love for one another without having some predestined fate by being honest with each other and caring for each other.

[FONT=Arial]What's amusing to me is that both sides of the argument are very similar idealistic views of love. One is the almost magical feeling that happens when [I]that person[/I] meets your eyes from across the room/square/field/whatever-it-is, and the other is a near-perfect situation achieved through patience and effort.

So why not both?

Half of our entire makeup as humans is emotional abstractions, or things that make sense without actually making any sense. So why it should be impossible for two people (or maybe only one :p) to feel an instant connection for no reason is beyond me; certainly it makes no [I]logical[/I] sense, but can one deny that it happens in the first place?

But then, love is sustained through the effort of those involved; if you don't try, the feeling will not remain, whether or not the connection was built up gradually or made instantaneously. (I think it's easier to sustain when made over time, since those involved have at that point made their efforts almost natural.)

The point is, you people are arguing over two completely different [I]aspects[/I] of love that are not mutually exclusive. Yes, love does require time and work, but that does not mean that it can't just happen?nor does the fact that "love at first sight" is able to happen mean that it happens to everyone.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I am a firm believer of love at first sight due to the fact that it happened to me. I first met my husband in high school. At the time I was dating someone else and as soon as I saw him something clicked. I knew in my heart it was him, it took us a while to actually get together but I never stopped thinking of him from that day on, even now when he's at work over night or on deployment I never get him out of my mind. We've been together 5 years now, dating 4 married 1. We have 2 boys and couldn't be happier. It seems hard to believe, even to me, but it happened. I can't really explain it, but that's that thing about true love, it never makes sense, mostly cause of the fact that him and I did not get along when we first met, we got into fights every time we saw one another but at the same time it hurt me to think of never seeing him again. Like I said it took us while to finally get together cause after a few days the guy I was dating stopped having us hang out in the library where Knuckles always stayed and it hurt me when I couldn't talk to him and see him. 4 months later we started dating and we never split up. I know for me it was love at first sight and I agree with Chibi master, it happens once and it happens fast so keep your eyes open. And just for the record, I was VERY self conscious so my attraction to him was FAR from lust, and it was the same way with him. We just connected when we first saw one another. I was just lucky enough to know it when it hit me and take the chance on it; it's turned out the be the best gut choice of my life.Needless to say our bond has gotten stronger over time but I believe it was at first sight.[/FONT][/COLOR]

OH YEAH!!! YUSSS, love at first sight pwns cynics!!!:p[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="1"][INDENT]I removed the quote chibi-master, it's completely unnecessary to quote someone when not only are you the next person to post, but their post is quite a bit longer than yours is. ~Rachmaninoff[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

Actually, though Allamorph did shine a different light on the subject, I don't particularly agree with it because it all depends on each person's opinion on the definition of love.

You pass by thousands of people every day, and you don't immediately fall in love with them. And even if a person catches your eye, or if you feel a connection the first time you meet, that is not love. I believe most consider it attraction, or chemistry. You can be head-over-heels infatuated with a person's outer appearance and mistake that for love.

So if your definition of love is a positive bond between two people, then it happens everyday.

But if your definition of love is a deep physical, spiritual, and emotional bond formed on a foundation of trust and loyalty, then love at first sight is impossible. For all you know, the person you are 'in love with' is a lying creep.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I will agree with some of that to an extent. I agree it depends on the person, and the persons beliefs; to me its kinda the same concept of if you believe in god or not. Just cause you think he's not there doesn't mean he isn't. Just because you think it's impossible doesn't make it that way. I have always and will always believe my husband and I fell for one another the moment we saw one another. Its something I have always known happened to me and I will always think that, no one can convince me otherwise. No offense anyone on the god comment, its just the same concept. [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]First of all... *ignores Allamorph* [quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Red"]Look, I don't want to get all mushy here, and believe me, I'm [I]not[/I] an avodcate for romance novels, but, i was wondering if anyone still believes you can love some one as soon as you see them. What do [I]i [/I]say? heck no!!! that person so can be so ultra cute but be a psycho who chops you up into pieces and eats you if you leave him (or her for you guys out there). that's kinda crazy,[B] but what do you think those scary movies come from, huh?[/B] you don't know someone until you spend time with them. period.:animeangr[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Someone who is laughing at gullible people who actually think it's based on a true story. I know I'm laughing. :p

Anyway, connection or not, thinking you are in love with someone you've just met is short sighted. Saying that you fell in love from the moment you first met is in my opinion merely looking back at the moment through rose colored glasses. Now Lust at first sight, followed by attraction and then attachment, that I can see.[/COLOR]

Trying to apply relativism to the concept of love at first sight are you Allamorph?

Anyway, my thoughts mirror what Indi just explained. I won't argue that you can't instantly connect with someone, but to go so far as to claim it's love? Rose colored glasses indeed.

Now if you were to argue that one needed that connection for something to develop into love, that would be more believable since you do need something that would even prompt you to want to get to know the person better.