OtakuBoards

Energy Drinks

Akieen Cloud

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]With all the energy drinks out there I was woundering what kind most people drink. I don't have a typical one I drink all the time. I do like the Java Monster Chai Hai, but I also like Black Jack Tea as well. My husband loves Sobe No Fears and Bawls; and a friend of mine is obsessed with Lost so I was wondering what kind you have near you, which is the best and which you drink the most. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]My favorite energy drink is SmartWater. Yes, that's right. I drink water. Tea. Unsweetened fruit juice. Soy milk.

Unlike most of America, I don't want my heart to stop beating before it's scheduled to because I downed drink after drink that contained Taurine. Also known as artificial adrenaline. That and the caffeine it contains provides a jolt to your system that could be faithfully recreated if you downed half a pound of sugar in five minutes and then followed it up with some Speed. Oh wait, these drinks typically also contain massive amounts of sugar. Never mind.

And since the FDA doesn't regulate the amount of caffeine contained in 'energy' drinks, you're getting way more than what's healthy for you and all in the name of giving yourself enough energy to get out of bed because you stayed up all night playing video games or chatting on OB.

But since I figure everyone here is young and thus immortal, nobody cares and will continue to drink their drinks and plan on living forever.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I don't have any type that I drink at all. I do have some herbal tea that has the effect of waking you up a bit, but it's not an energy drink and happens to be healthy for you, so that doesn't really count. The closest I come to what could be considered an "energy drink" is perhaps soda for the caffeine in it. In the end, I prefer water actually, even if I am tired and could use something to wake me up a bit. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Following swiftly in Raiha's wake, I'll happily say that I hate energy drinks too! And all I drink (aside from when out boozing) is water. None of this funky bottled junk that's so full of calcium it tastes like milk! Regular old tap water! Nothing like it!

End rant.[/size]

5 Hour Energy is the only one that's really worthwhile, and it really has none of the crap that Raiha was talking about except taurine, which isn't harmful as long as you don't take it all the time, just like just about any other substance.

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Mountain Dew Amp runs through my veins at most times. It is my life nectar and possibly the reason I suffer bouts of lethargy when I am unable to consume it. Addiction![/color][/size]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I don't get energy drinks and I rarely drink soda. I tend to have water, juice, tea, etc. I don't need something to make me more awake or alert. So I just stay away from them.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Morpheus']5 Hour Energy is the only one that's really worthwhile, and it really has none of the crap that Raiha was talking about except taurine, which isn't harmful as long as you don't take it all the time, just like just about any other substance.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm not sure if you mean sugar [sucralose] or caffeine. Did you ever read the label? It has both. Oh yes, and taurine too. Unless their website is lying to me. If it says "high fructose corn syrup" that's sugar for most other drinks. I'm pretty sure water and tea aren't going to be harmful to me.

[URL="http://www.productwiki.com/chaser-5-hour-energy-shot/"]Behold.[/URL]

And since someone else has already confessed to being composed mostly of energy drink I'm pretty sure that was my target audience. Sorry.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Although I don't drink them very often, actually, maybe once a month, I enjoy a tasty Monster BFC.

It's definitely one of the worst products to put into your body in one sitting, but it tastes good to me. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Zen][color=royalblue][size=1]It is my life nectar[B] and possibly the reason I suffer bouts of lethargy when I am unable to consume it.[/B] Addiction![/color'][/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]That's actually called "withdrawal". (^_^)

More simply, your body has grown used to not having to sustain itself.

I don't use energy drinks. I eat breakfast consistently, and so my body is used to dealing with food in the morning and usually threatens to barf if I [I]don't[/I] eat within thirty minutes of becoming vertical. My body also times out the other two meals based on when the first is eaten, and I snack intermittently throughout the day.

My high metabolism and walking see to the rest.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Considering that I tend to sleep on average about six hours a day since I'm rarely tired... energy drinks are the last thing I'd ever actually drink. Plus most artificial stuff like soda just makes me sick, literally. So I'm in no hurry to try something that has the potential to one - keep me from sleeping at all and two - make me sick at the same time. I'm going to continue to stick to water, juice and healthy tea. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]They all stink like vomit.

I (can) eat more than anyone I've met anyway and also rather get tasty sugars from eating fruit. :3[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Indeed.

I hate the smell of energy drinks, and I don't need that 'boost'. I do like coffee, but its mainly for the taste. I've found that coffee doesn't wake me up, and I only drink it on the weekends anyway.

Fruit does equal tasty sugars.[/SIZE]

I don't really care for energy drinks. Not only do most of them smell awful, but if you have one on a regular basis, it adds up. Take my roommate, he gets one that runs between $1.50 - $2 per bottle. Since he usually has at least three or more a week... that just adds up into an expense that seems unnecessary in my opinion.

When you're a college student, everything is about how much it will cost you in the long run. And I can think of lots of things that I'd rather spend the money on. I do have soda with caffeine in it from time to time, but that's about it. And if I'm really tired, I have an herbal tea that's healthy and does a better job of waking me up.

[size=1][color=#8B008B]I'm not an avid drinker of sodas and energy drinks but on occasion I like to dirnk [B]Starbucks Double Shot[/B], [B]Starbucks Iced Coffee[/B], [B]Full Throttle[/B], and [B]VISO[/B]. Once in a blue moon, I'll drink [B]RockStar Juiced[/B].

However, lately I've been drinking milk, [B]Starbucks Shaken Iced Green Tea[/B], and [B]Izze[/B]. It's mostly whatever I can find and how much money I've got to spend.[/size][/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]But since I figure everyone here is young and thus immortal, nobody cares and will continue to drink their drinks and plan on living forever.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Young perhaps, but immortal... if only. XP

Anyway, I don't really consume stuff like soda, coffee or energy drinks. Plus I have this little thing called the Word of Wisdom that I was raised on. General gist of that being: Any beverage that contains ingredients harmful to the body should be avoided. However, a lot of food out there, besides beverages, have ingredients that aren't exactly good for you. Oh well.[/FONT]

I don't drink Energy Drinks myself. At first it was because I couldn't stand the taste of them, but then I learned a few nasty things about their effects as well.

The first one was pointed out by Raiha and Allamorph already: when you consume Energy Drinks continuously, your body ceases to create it's own energy (since it's not necessary to do so anymore), and you become dependent on the drinks to keep you going. What a marketing plot, I gotta say!

The other effect I've heard about (and which I'm less certain of) is that they erode your teeth's crowns. Sugar might cause cavities, but that stuff simply liquifies the surface of the teeth. Good luck with chewing after that...

So yeah, Energy Drinks have joined my "What Not To Drink" list along with alcohol and coffee. I still love my cokes and lemonades, though... XP

[FONT=Verdana][quote name='Zen][SIZE=1][COLOR=#4169e1]It is my life nectar and possibly the reason I suffer bouts of [B]lethargy[/B] when I am unable to consume it.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]I heard my name.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=darkgreen]Personally, I do not like the vast majority of energy drinks out there, as they all have the same, disgusting energy drink taste. However, there is one that tastes like sparkling grape juice that I enjoy very much (I forget its name; even though I like it, I don't drink it that often).[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=darkgreen]I've had a berry energy shot before, and it had a fairly pleasant taste, though the effects [U]weren't any stronger than any other energy drink[/U] (at least for me they weren't).[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Verdana][quote name='Raiha][COLOR=#9932cc']That and the caffeine it contains provides a jolt to your system that could be faithfully recreated if you downed half a pound of sugar in five minutes and then followed it up with some Speed.[/COLOR][/quote][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]So I take it you've done speed before?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Lethargy']

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]So I take it you've done speed before?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]My friend's room mate did it before. And it's even possible he was more hyper than I remember because I fell asleep halfway through the night.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I've never had one and I don't intend to start either. >_> I don't have energy issues so it seems kind of pointless to take something that's likely to just make me feel like I'm bouncing off the walls. That and I'd rather take the money for say three or four of those things and buy a book I want. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I'm pretty much a Rockstar drinker. I try to balance that out with things like Vitmain Water though. But it's not an all the time thing either. I do like the tase of energy drinks though. The smell is horrible for anything other than Rockstar in my opinion. It's about the only one I can stand.

[FONT="Garamond"]I like redbull, but only by association, because I adore JAGERBOMBS.
It ain't cheap to get 'em though, either by making them yourself at parties, or at the bar. I got a jagerbomb at one place, which is less than half a can of redbull and a shot of jager for.. what, $8.95?
Too much.
Alas.

Tab is one that I like by itself.[/FONT]

[quote name='Anomaly'][FONT="Garamond"]I like redbull, but only by association, because I adore JAGERBOMBS.
It ain't cheap to get 'em though, either by making them yourself at parties, or at the bar. I got a jagerbomb at one place, which is less than half a can of redbull and a shot of jager for.. what, $8.95?
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'll confess, I have had these mystical and mythical Jaegerbombs before. And they are good. But unfortunately they give me the shakes, so I usually only down one per party per month.

And since I haven't partied yet this month.... I think you're being massively overcharged. Cheaper to buy the Jaeger and Red Bull in a case.

For the record, a Jaegerbomb is a can or a half of Red Bull with a shot of Jaeger licorice liquor dropped inside it. Very sweet, doesn't taste at all like alcohol and counteracts the downer of alcohol with the massive upper of energy. Not precisely healthy. At all. But I like Jaeger. Curses.[/FONT][/COLOR]