OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy VII

Akieen Cloud

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, I am so glad i joined this site, no sarcasm inteded!, finally people who know something about what they are talking about, wether wrong or right! But, BUT! I am going to say something I can back up, I know more about FF7 than anyone I have met on the net, website or otherwise! and I want to share the knowledge. I have been waiting severla yearss to do it. i have been waiting several years for people to realise the lil estereggs in ff7, i will admit I don't much compartively with the other final fantasies. to tip you off a lil about what I know:
1 ff7 is succesful to this day, numerous reasons, they include a battle system that is limiltess in power, [you can become a god in this game, you can become unkillable, and you can kill monsters like Emerald weapon in less then twenty minutes with just the right materia, {And I don't mean Knights! (counter mime, counter mime, counter mime, w-item)(final-attack, Pheonix) with omnislash, equip others if you like but they just over kill! (by the way, I counted at one point, omnislash does more damge than Knights and in less time)}] and it also includes really really felt characters! (but not limited too)
2the programing in the game is phenomenal, I am still playing the game and finding new lil eastereggs (yuffie's ultimate weapon conformer increases in strength when used with morph instead of the atack being divided by ten)
3the chocobos give you reason to spend DAYS sometimes working on them, there are so many greens, and so many nuts, I don't know what they all do yet)
3 with a gameshark (I don't suggest this till you have played it though obviously) you can open debug mode and play the game from the begining again . . . with everything you had in your prvious game)
4as far as I know, ff7 is the first to use cinematics, yeah they weren't the best, but they used what they had to promote the FEEL of the game not just the look! They wanted you to really see how EVIL sephiroth was
5this is the first GAME you have a bad guy you really feel for, sephiroth was a good guy, but he went nuts thank to a psychological trigger that occured before the game began.
there is more but . . . i don't want to take up toomuch time

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]I actually have too, though not a lot. My brother owns it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#4b0082]The thing is, there's customization with materia but every character is otherwise the same. You can build a character who's a good fighter, a powerful user of both black and white magic, [I]and[/I] a summoner, no matter who you choose. (This wouldn't be so bad if speccing heavily into one area at least lowered their abilities in others enough to matter.) The only real differences come in limit breaks, which make up a tiny fraction of their actions.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#4b0082]The result is that it actually promotes less variety than a class-based system and every character ends up being the same in battle. It doesn't matter when you get hit, anyone can heal next. It doesn't matter if an enemy is only weak against magic, everyone can use it. There's no reason for the back row to even exist, other than to make long range characters even more overpowered. Because of all this, very little of the game requires any planning, strategy, or MP conservation.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#4b0082]There's a reason you only get three characters in your party in FFVII and it's because everyone can do everything all at once. If they had given you four they might as well put in an, "I win," button to automatically kill every enemy in any fight instantly.[/COLOR][/quote]

Ah! but your wrong, but sadly not wrong enough. you do have a point that the characters SEEM the same but they are not. if you look at their statistics they level up differently, cloud seems the strangest through most of the game, however i have found that later, Yuffie in regular combat is better, because of the hidden lil secret about her ultimate weapon, Conformer, If you ever went to the Crashed Gelinika, you would realise how mauch a pian it is to Morph those monsters (who by the way, all of them turn into different Sources when morphed) try this out on Yuffie, (Morph, hp-plus) (Morph, mp-plus) (Morph, sneak-attack) (counter, Mime) Mega all.

As I said, you were part wrong, yes they aren't as differnt as ffIV, but they still have differences, yes they PRACTICLY put a "I win" button in, but you have to find it, I have been spending a lot time on this game and I know how to make my characters leveled up, materia maxed, with out touching the controller. so your part right.

[quote name='Matt']Jeez guys, if you are reciting these titles from memory alone, I must give my props to you.

But then again, if you are just copying it from GameFAQS, then you can just ignore this. :p[/quote]

I know I am:)! (which just shows how little of a life I really have:P)

[color=#4B0082]I merged your posts since double posting isn't allowed. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

[quote name='Denkezal'] 5this is the first GAME you have a bad guy you really feel for, sephiroth was a good guy, but he went nuts thank to a psychological trigger that occured before the game began. [/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I can think of half a dozen villains from Chrono Trigger alone I could really feel for.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Also, FFVI's General Leo, anyone? :animecry:

And yeah, I know the characters aren't identical, but the differences are so small that it hardly matters. You can pick any two characters to go along with Cloud and use the same exact strategies as with any other two characters to get through the game. (Again, with the exception of Aeris.) The differences in stats and limit breaks are almost entirely inconsequential if you use good materia combos.

Even FFVI, which also features a lot of customization and overpowered magic combos through the magicite system, is far more varied. Characters have significantly different stats, their own unique abilities, [i]and[/i] you can affect how their stats increase when they level up.

The thought occurs to me, however, that FFVII would be a lot better if the difficulty were ramped way up. If they made you actually [i]need[/i] all those overpowered materia combos just to survive, it would take a lot more thought and be a lot more fun even with the lack of character differentiation. Coming up with crazy-awesome materia combos is fun, but when nothing can even begin to put up a fight against them it makes the game dull.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I can think of half a dozen villains from Chrono Trigger alone I could really feel for.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Also, Dhaos from Tales of Phantasia. Seems like some fans tend to assume that if their object of obsession is a certain age and they've never seen anything else do something it does, it's automatically the first example. Not to sound arrogant or anything, since I was once a major offender of this one back in my One Piece obsession days, but it pays to be more wary about making "it was the first" statements without doing proper research. I can guarantee you plenty of people claiming that Tales of the Abyss ripped off the word "Sephiroth" would be rather embarrassed to stumble across the term while looking up Hebrew Mythology.

On that note, I should probably play this game some time. I'm almost positive it won't live up to all the hype I always hear, but considering how popular it still is, it should probably still be decently entertaining.

[SIZE="1"]Didn't I already fall into this trap with Naruto?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]On that note, I should probably play this game some time. I'm almost positive it won't live up to all the hype I always hear, but considering how popular it still is, it should probably still be decently entertaining.

[SIZE="1"]Didn't I already fall into this trap with Naruto?[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Well, at this point...no, it won't. But honestly I'm not afraid to say I still love the game. Sure it's not as good as RPGs nowadays, and yes most [if not all] the spinoffs are utter trash [IMO, anyway]...but it did kinda set a standard for most RPGs today. I daresay it's actually kinda [i]fun[/i]... so, I'd say it's worth a shot.

[spoiler]Though I'm slightly biased since I was a hardcore Sephiroth fangirl back when I was fourteen...but yeah. >_>;[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[color=deeppink]FFVII is still a wonderful game. If you can get past the outdated graphics, the at times awkward dialogue, somewhat archaic battle system, and the few confusing and under-explained plot points, you'll find a game with a superb story and top-notch presentation.

All these problems (except for perhaps the last one) can basically be summed up by saying "it's old" though.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]FFVII is a good game and worth playing if you like the standard Final Fantasy formula. It's just not as amazing as a lot of people make it out to be.

One of my favorite things about FFVII, though, is the game's setting. Its world is very interesting to me, both in the landscape and mythology. A lot of RPG locations are very forgettable but places like the Nibelheim mountains, the Forgotten Capital, and Midgar stick in my mind.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]FFVII is a good game and worth playing if you like the standard Final Fantasy formula. It's just not as amazing as a lot of people make it out to be[/COLOR][COLOR=#4b0082].[/COLOR][/quote]
I definitley can't deny this, espeacially since you were absoluely right about how they should have amped up the difficulty level in this game, i tend to hate having to replay it because most of the begining is kind of boring considering you have alreeady played and know waht's comeing, but I have to admit my favorite part ofplaying this game is facing off agains ruby and emerald, which is sad considering they were added in the american version and really don't have anything to do with tthe story. hopefully when the do remake it, they amp the difficulty and variety among characters. Maybe the new remake willl set a new standard for rpg's once again! with this in my mind I hope that square enix is taking it's time thinking over the best way to remake this game.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]...This game deserves to live as a legend as long as eternity stands...

End of story...

Final Fantasy IV was amazing. And Zeromus was easy as ****! Probably because I used the gameboy gameshark on the advaned version of the game :p However, my 2nd favorite Final Fantasy is the one wih bosses like Kefka, that game had a brilliant array of bosses and I loved the characters... despite my obvious forgetting of the storyline.

I never finsihed Final Fantasy VII, nor did I defeat Emerald or Ruby. I did vanquish the Ultima Weapon... if that counts as good, haha.[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]There's nothing official as of late and while [b]Crisis Core[/b] did hint at that the beginning of FFVII, there's nothing in the works.

To be very honest, I wouldn't want a remake of FF7. I think Squeenix needs to keep looking towards the future of that franchise and look to innovate and make the series as a whole better. The hallmark of the series is that each game progressively added something new or the game was tweaked to avoid giving gamers the same old song and dance. Why would you want to go back and totally re-do a game that doesn't need re-doing? Sure, there are a lot of FFVII fans, but I would sooner play FFXIII or Versus than a remake of FFVII. I've already played it, why would I want to do it again?[/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
It is only after seeing and playing ffXII (which has been very recently like NOW lol) that I have come to a point where i agree. Final fantasy VII is done. why remake a game like ffVII? It was a great game! it was an awesome Game! if they remade it, they would be wasting their time, as I have seen ffXII. FFXII uses an entirely different system but still a very good system. the story line intrigues me. as i was playing this game I realised, they aren't going to tremake FFVII, they are going to use what they learned from FFVII to try and make a bigger and badder FF that is completly different from that game. they obviously realise how good FFVII is otherwise they wouldn't be making so many spin offs of it (dirge of cerberus, crisis core and the anime of FFVII which I dont rember the name to) but I have always wondered why they have yet to touch a remake of the game itself. I figured they were waiting. well i finally figured out they mostlikey aren't. the dangers of making a remake of FFVII are high excessivly so. because they would have to incorporate the same system otherwise us hard core fans would be ticked but the new fans, they want something new interact and action based. Materia slots is wonderfull and awesome but it is not action based, not to the degree that others would like. Dirge still had materia but not to the complexity that ff7 had, but it had more action thus I realised dirge was more of a test, to see how it would sell. I don't know the results. but I do know FFXII utilises a semis strategy based system with a lot more interactivity going on. I have to say, I love how I can practicly play the battles one handed if I set it right, HECk in FFXII, thewre are times where i can sit and watch without loking for a turbo controller and some weights to set my controller for auto leveling Like I did in FFVII. Thus once again i doubt that there will be a Remake of FFVII anytime soon.

[quote name='Denkezal']snip.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Well as much as I liked FFVII, I don't see how changing the battle system to appease fans of "action based" combat would work, seeing as the ATB( active time battle system) had been used since the early days of the series. Hell, even FFX-2 used it. I'm not sure about FFXII because I have yet to play it.

But Dirge of Cerberus was an attempt to break into the Action game genre. Although it used Materia, it wasn't anything like the system in FFVII. I would liken the use of materia in that game more to Devil May Cry 2's amulet system. The general consensus with DoC was that the game was a bad attempt to make "Vincent may Cry", due to the similarities between Devil May Cry and Dirge of Cerberus. Hell, Vincent did cooler stuff in the cutscenes than he could do in the game itself. [/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think that in recent times it's become sort of popular to knock FFVII in one way or another, or to claim that it's "overrated". One of the problems with that though, is that we are always looking backwards with 20/20 vision.

I distinctly remember FFVII when it was still new and fresh and there were very valid reasons for its success (both critical and commercial). Unfortunately it hasn't aged well and I think we sometimes judge the game based on today's criteria, rather than actually considering its value in context.

Of course, having said that, it's still worthy of plenty of criticism. I just think it's sort of become the arch-enemy of the RPG intelligentsia, which is unfortunate.

Anyway, a remake? We've been hearing about this for years with no real result. I am not expecting anything, but I would personally like to see a remake.

There are a few reasons for this. First and foremost, I think that the game's art design almost begs to be refreshed with a big set of HD lenses. Let's face it, the game was very much about art design and today's technology could do wonders to further enhance this.

Also it would be great to get proper, fully-orchestrated music, better controls and maybe several other tweaks to gameplay. In other words, a simple visual remake would be nice... but it'd be [i]great[/i] to see something with a bit more love and care taken.

And, frankly, if we get more remake and less crappy spin-offs... I'd be happy with that.

Although I am currently playing Crisis Core on PSP and it's actually pretty darn good, although it has a couple of its own quirks. [/font]

[COLOR=#35425e]I played 8 before 7, and that's why I didn't enjoy 7 so much. Had I played 7 before 8, I imagine Cloud and company's adventure would be my gold standard and would've appreciated 8 only as an "advance" rather than a "breakthrough".

The only thing I remember from FF7 was the Knights of the Round summon. Best summon EVER.[/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Ugh, Knights of the Round. Sure it does a lot of damage but, it takes freakin' forever for the animation to happen. When chain casting it against Emerald WEAPON (W-Summon + Mime + Mime for six casts) I literally had time to put the controller down, walk into the kitchen, make a sandwich, eat said sandwich, and come back before I regained control of my party. That is just ridiculous.

I think Bahamut ZERO looks way cooler, too.[/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I macroed that whole fight on my controller. I did the cast, and walked away. When I came back, I won. Yayz.

I also liked to cheat against the people at the Gold Saucer and cast Odin over and over again. Ribbon+ Odin= Supreme Victory.[/FONT]

I loved VII, but the problem with it is that they are milking the series far too much with oft negative results (case and point, Advent Children).

As far as I know, the PS3 demo was merely a test run by Square-Enix to see the PS3's capabilities before releasing XIII, and other than that, no remake is being planned.

I, also, wouldn't like to see a remake of the game. After seeing the DS ports of I-IV, I was terribly disapointed at the watered-down dialogue and voice-overs. Although a PS3 remake of VII would be placed in much better care (at least I hope so), I like it the way it is.

As far as it being overrated, it isn't so much as overrated of a game as it is mainstream, IMO. For instance, my favourite FF was and still is to this day IV, because I played that before I played VII. Most people never looked back into the older FF games, and their first game was VII, meaning that VII brings back many nostalgic memories for them that the other games wouldn't, which I think is the main reason for its popularity.

• 1 month later...
is ne one as po'd as i am about this???? i seems it'll never come to the usa.....

[SIZE=4][B][I][U]EVER!!!![/U][/I][/B][/SIZE]

is square realy that naive and stupid they don't realize how much money they can make off this????? do they really have there heads so far up there A-- that they cant think straight???? I.D.k it might come out here some time in the next 50 centre's from now... or maybe half past never what do you guys think????

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Well, for one, there is no FFVII remake out yet, or as far as I've heard, even announced. There are spin-offs and extended universe entries, like Advent Children and Crisis Core, but no remake.

I think, with a game as insanely popular as FFVII, if a remake were announced I'd be hearing about it absolutely everywhere (especially since I live at and attend a college where it's nerdier to study on a Saturday night than it is to play Dungeons and Dragons on a Saturday night), and I've heard nothing, so I'm guessing all you've heard are rumors.

And given the popularity of the game and how port-happy Square Enix seems to be with the Final Fantasy games, I'm sure a port or remake (or both) of FFVII will come eventually. It's like someone said about the Pokemon games- "the series is a cash cow that lays golden eggs. It's pretty much inevitable."
And when they do, I'm willing to bet that it'll definitely be available in English.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

i donno, maybe square is not ready to make a new game soley for the purpose of making money... maybe they would rather be known for making games that dont need FFVII slaped on it to make something that sells.

If it were me at least... i would try to limit my sell-out ness... cant you be happy with the bonus stuff 7 already has? i know a few people who would kill for a sequal/remake/spinoff of their personal favorites like FFIX or FFVIII...

in my honest opinion, i dont think they should extend it much farther than it is already. i would rather see a FFXIII or something for the PS3 or 360. 12/17/2009 baby!