OtakuBoards

Extreme Music

Zen

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I know that "Can You Suggest Any Good Hardcore" is already a thread similar to this in concept, but I wanted one where we could more openly discuss bands and such rather than just tossing out band names and such. Talk about bands we like in more detail, or talk about new bands, exchange bands that we've come to find and enjoy. Also, this broadens the spectrum of what can be discussed.

Extreme Music is catergorized as forms of music that use elements that the average mainstream fan might find unappealing or even repulsive. Genres include hardcore punk, death metal, metalcore, grindcore, noise, and others.

My favorite genres within the "spectrum" of Extreme music are:

[b]Hardcore Punk[/b], which uses excessive speed in both drums and guitar playing along with scream and growl vocals. Notable bands for me are The Devil Wears Prada, Gallows, and Circle Jerks.

[b]Technical/Progressive Death Metal[/b], which uses a more metal approach to the hardcore punk style with deeper growls typically and more technical guitar playing and very tricky, switch-tempo drumming. My notable bands include Tales of the Black Freighter and Opeth.

[b]Metalcore[/b], which combines traditional metal riffing and solos with a combination of clean vocals and hardcore screaming and death metal growls. The drums are also along the level of Death Metal as well. Notable bands for me are All That Remains and Killswitch Engage.

and my favorite of the genres, the one that I listen to more than the others...

[b]Deathcore[/b], which is a complete combination of technical death metal and hardcore punk. The vocals are very, very rarely clean, and usually exclusively screams, growls, pig squeals, and other distorted forms of vocals. The instrumentation is almost always fast, technical, and brutal. Lyrics often center around horror, gore, violence, and generally edgy topics. Notable bands include Bring Me The Horizon, Job For A Cowboy, and Winds of Plague.

Currently, my "extreme" play list is looking something like this (I'll go alphabetically):

Abigail Williams
[b]All That Remains[/b]
All Shall Perish
Avenged Sevenfold (old)
[b]As Blood Runs Black[/b]
Because of This
[b]Born of Osiris[/b]
[b]Bring Me The Horizon[/b]
Bury Your Dead
Dethklok
[b]Gallows[/b]
[b]Job For A Cowboy[/b]
Maximum The Hormone
Rise Against
Senses Fail
[b]Suicide Silence
Tales of the Black Freighter
The Black Dahlia Murder[/b]
The Devil Wears Prada
The Irish Front
Through the Eyes of the Dead
WhiteChapel
Whole Wheat Bread
[b]Winds of Plague[/b]
With Dead Hands Rising

I'm still discovering the genre, but I'm already an enormous fan and I'm attempting to train myself in the vocal style of deathcore. I love it. The music, the vocals, the 'dance'/mosh style. Great stuff.

So lets discuss it all, shall we?[/color][/size]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of now I am really into this whole funky jazzy circus sounding thing. No one I know can tolerate it but me at this point.

This basically consists of

[B]Dog Fashion Disco[/B]
This is the main group. I have every song by them except the live stuff. It has a sort of "It's the end of the world but hey lets have a festival!" feel to it. They have a really odd sound. Imagine if Hardcore mixed with metal had an affair with disco went ahead and raped jazz and all the while was listening to classical music mixed with carnival music.

[B]Polkadot Cadaver[/B]
It's an offshoot of Dog Fashion Disco. Strangely this band has a lot more Disco elements than the aforementioned band. They also incorporate a lot of electronica/industrial into their music. They switch from a sort of Thrashy to a sort of Death Metally sound from song to song. Very good stuff.

[B]Stolen Babies[/B]
I haven't listened to them that much but they sound sort of like a female dog fashion disco.

Another band that is completely unique that I feel is extreme is

[B] Puscifer[/B]
It's as if you combined prog rock,easy listening and industrial together. It's just...really hard to explain how they sound. but they sound damn good with Maynard as the lead singer.

[quote name='Zen][color=royalblue][size=1]Extreme Music is catergorized as forms of music that use elements that the average mainstream fan might find unappealing or even repulsive. Genres include hardcore punk, death metal, metalcore, grindcore, noise, and others.[/color'][/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Before this goes much farther, I just want to remind people that the "average mainstream music fan" generally holds the Classical genre in a high degree of contempt. The same people may also be repulsed by Jazz. It all depends on your upbringing.

Now then. Feel free to completely disregard everything I just said, and carry on. :)[/FONT]

[QUOTE]Before this goes much farther, I just want to remind people that the "average mainstream music fan" generally holds the Classical genre in a high degree of contempt. The same people may also be repulsed by Jazz. It all depends on your upbringing.[/QUOTE] I think the average music fan differes depending on where you are. For instance the average mainstream music fan in DC is most likely a fan of go-go. While the average mainstream music fan in wisconsin probably listens blah rock(a term I came up with to describe rock bands that have no spice i ntheir music whatsoever). So I don't really think that applies generally.

But that really is off topic. So yes ignore this.

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]

[b]Hardcore Punk[/b], which uses excessive speed in both drums and guitar playing along with scream and growl vocals. Notable bands for me are The Devil Wears Prada, Gallows, and Circle Jerks.

[/QUOTE] [/color] [/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]...TDWP is metalcore...

But yeah. TDWP is definitely a good one. Though, their newer album isn't one of my favorites. "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord" remains one of my top favorite albums. It's similiar to that of Underoath's "Changing of Times". Both are amazing albums, full of emotion, and brutality, without having a crapload of chugga.

Though I'd have to say... bands like Senses Fail and Rise Against aren't extreme at all. Mainstream musicians don't have much hope for being "extreme" ever in their life time. Maybe something from "Let It Enfold You" by Senses Fail, but that album is still one big pop album. Of course, you get the harsh songs like "The Irony of Dying On Your Birthday" that have an edge to them that you normally don't see on these kind of albums. But so far.. no extremity.

Honestly, I have no love affair for the blah metalcore bands of today. Clean vocals are okay. But a drowning of pop choruses is not. Bands like Underoath and TDWP can get away with a few clean vocals, because of their originality. But others cannot. The real extremities of "metalcore" rely on the bands that don't use these pop choruses.

Figure Four
xDEATHSTARx
MyChildrenMyBride
The Black Noise Party Boys
Don the Reader
Norma Jean
Chariot

Listen to these bands, and you'll understand what metalcore should be. :] Figure Four is definitely one of those bands that takes a hold of hardcore by the neck and gives it a new meaning with their metalcore sound. It doesn't get much heavier them. All of these bands, by the way, are Christian influenced besides Don the Reader.

Most of what I call extreme lies in the genres that scene kids don't listen to. Screamo, for instance. It's easily agreed that bands like [B]Circle Takes the Square [/B]and [b]pg. 99[/b] are anything but mainstream. Wonderful, though. You should listen to them, pg. 99 especially if you like hardcore punk.

Now, I'm done. I get so delighted when someone mentions something to do with extreme music, because I listen to all of it... So, I guess I always have an input on the subject..

p.s- if you're into extreme music, and what something a little strange, but still... extreme... Listen to my band. Click on the link in my sig, lol. We play post-hardcore without all the pop, and have a heavy influence from prog and screamo. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE]I just want to remind people that the "average mainstream music fan" generally holds the Classical genre in a high degree of contempt. [/QUOTE]
In that line of thinking I have for you.

[B]John Cage[/B]
Extremely Extreme classical muzaak! This is not how I am used to listening to classical music at all. It sounds epic hopeful and melancholic all at the same time. And it almost seems as if the guy is throwing in some industrial stuff at times. Yea Industrial meets classical wtf is the world coming to?

Edit
Where the hell did Phillip Glass come from?

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Right now I'm listening to The Autumn Offering, these guys are amazing. I guess I should throw out a quick list of the bands I really enjoy.

[B]As I Lay Dying[/B]*
Atreyu
[B]The Autumn Offering[/B]
[B]Avenged Sevenfold (first 2 albums)[/B]
[B]Between the Buried and Me[/B]
With Blood Comes Cleansing
Bullet for my Valentine (New stuff)
Circle Takes the Square
[B]In Flames[/B]
Heaven Shall Burn
[B]A Plea for Purging[/B]
All Shall Perish
The Used

Bold font means I own a CD from them. I'm sure there is more, I don't know if Nu Metal could be considered Hardcore in a way, so if so I'll add them later.

Anyways, onto the recommendations, for people who enjoy technicality and plenty of tasteful breakdowns, than Between The Buried and Me is perfect for you, they have some pretty kick *** songs, Colors is an EPIC album, especially White walls, over 14 minutes of hardcore awesomeness. Alaska is another good album, with stand out songs like Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Backward marathon and The Primer. Backward Marathon has a very soft interlude, which is the music's epic climax.

With Blood Comes Cleansing, Heaven Shall Burn and All Shall Perish are also really good, probably the heaviest on the list. The Used is for people who are a bit novice to the genre, but I like them, especially The Bird and the Worm. A Plea for Purging is a bit odd, and they are Christian metalcore of the like with xDEATHSTARx and stuff like that. As I Lay Dying is meh, but they have good things about them, the lead singer has a great voice.

Bullet for my Valentine is A LOT better than they ever were, in fact they have improved on what The Poison failed at, which was almost everything lol. Circle Takes the Square is however, the best group on that list, well 2nd best imo, but they are still wicked good. In Flames is awesome too, but they are close to death metal a bit. But not as much as their earlier albums.

Atreyu's new material isn't like their old stuff, if you've heard The Crimson and Falling Down, you can tell. I don't really think they are one of the best, but they satisfy enough. As for A7X, they have some pretty good stuff, but I wish they'd return to the style of Waking the Fallen, cause I know they could improve that and make it their own.

[b]EDIT:[/b] The Autumn Offering is also a very excellant band, they are signed to the same record company (Victory Records) as Between the Buried and Me, Atreyu, Darkest Hour and sadly Hawthorne Heights, so they aren't hard to find, but they are great, the songs may be a bit small (on average about 3:30) though. Currently I own "Fear Casts no Shadow, but they also have Embrace the Gutter. To check out their awesomeness, I suggest you find the song [B]Silence and Goodb[/B]yes, which isn't all screaming, but it still captures how great they are. The vocalist's screams are a bit death-metally, which isn't bad at all.

[B]EDIT 2: [/B]With Blood Comes Cleansing is also signed to Victory Records... imagine that.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aberinkula'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Right now I'm listening to The Autumn Offering, these guys are amazing. I guess I should throw out a quick list of the bands I really enjoy.

[B]As I Lay Dying[/B]*
Atreyu
[B]The Autumn Offering[/B]
[B]Avenged Sevenfold (first 2 albums)[/B]
[B]Between the Buried and Me[/B]
With Blood Comes Cleansing
Bullet for my Valentine (New stuff)
Circle Takes the Square
[B]In Flames[/B]
Heaven Shall Burn
[B]A Plea for Purging[/B]
All Shall Perish
The Used

Bold font means I own a CD from them. I'm sure there is more, I don't know if Nu Metal could be considered Hardcore in a way, so if so I'll add them later.

Anyways, onto the recommendations, for people who enjoy technicality and plenty of tasteful breakdowns, than Between The Buried and Me is perfect for you, they have some pretty kick *** songs, Colors is an EPIC album, especially White walls, over 14 minutes of hardcore awesomeness. Alaska is another good album, with stand out songs like Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Backward marathon and The Primer. Backward Marathon has a very soft interlude, which is the music's epic climax.

With Blood Comes Cleansing, Heaven Shall Burn and All Shall Perish are also really good, probably the heaviest on the list. The Used is for people who are a bit novice to the genre, but I like them, especially The Bird and the Worm. A Plea for Purging is a bit odd, and they are Christian metalcore of the like with xDEATHSTARx and stuff like that. As I Lay Dying is meh, but they have good things about them, the lead singer has a great voice.

Bullet for my Valentine is A LOT better than they ever were, in fact they have improved on what The Poison failed at, which was almost everything lol. Circle Takes the Square is however, the best group on that list, well 2nd best imo, but they are still wicked good. In Flames is awesome too, but they are close to death metal a bit. But not as much as their earlier albums.

Atreyu's new material isn't like their old stuff, if you've heard The Crimson and Falling Down, you can tell. I don't really think they are one of the best, but they satisfy enough. As for A7X, they have some pretty good stuff, but I wish they'd return to the style of Waking the Fallen, cause I know they could improve that and make it their own.

[b]EDIT:[/b] The Autumn Offering is also a very excellant band, they are signed to the same record company (Victory Records) as Between the Buried and Me, Atreyu, Darkest Hour and sadly Hawthorne Heights, so they aren't hard to find, but they are great, the songs may be a bit small (on average about 3:30) though. Currently I own "Fear Casts no Shadow, but they also have Embrace the Gutter. To check out their awesomeness, I suggest you find the song [B]Silence and Goodb[/B]yes, which isn't all screaming, but it still captures how great they are. The vocalist's screams are a bit death-metally, which isn't bad at all.

[B]EDIT 2: [/B]With Blood Comes Cleansing is also signed to Victory Records... imagine that.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="hotPink"][SIZE="1"]You should pick up Silent Circus by Between the Buried and Me. That album has so much epic in it.. It's unbelievable. The album is more like a work of art. So much rage, and confusion mixed into the brutality of the songs, and then every thing comes crashing down with the beautiful soft parts. Epic, indeed. Plus, the CD has a special edition counterpart, which I recommend greatly, because the band is AMAZING live. And it has an interview, and music videos as well. So yeah... Get your hands on this album, my friend. Imagine Alaska. With the same vocals. Awesome clean breakoffs. And Amazing distorted breakdowns.

Atreyu blows. Enough said. Good job, Atreyu. You really "sunk your ship" with Lead Sails Paper Anchor. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

edit: Is A Plea for Purging signed yet? I remember them... I think they grew up from around here, because for a while, they were all I heard about down here.

[size=1]@ Zen: lulz, The Devil Wears Prada is Metalcore my friend. And btw, since you brought up As Blood Runs Black, I think their new songs are just completely terrible. They kicked out Leche, their previous drummer, so they now have no original members from when they started. So if you think about it, since none of the current members are original, but they're still playing older songs and still using the same name, they're basically a cover band now. hahaha, seriously, think about it.

I personally think "Alaska" by Between The Buried And Me is by far their best album. Listen to "Autodidact" and tell me that song, and the majority of the other ones on that CD aren't pure genius. Oh, and btw, listen to ALL of "Autodidact." That last breakdown is complete and utterly epic secks. "Colors" is alright in my opinion, I respect the technicality to the album, and do see it as genius, I just think their sound lost something that they had in "Alaska." Plus, there are just some completely off-the-wall and random parts to some songs, hah.

Lawlz at Bullet For My Valentine being mentioned in the "Extreme Music" thread.
I never knew commercially watered-down Rock/Screamo was extreme? The same goes for Atreyu. haha, sorry guys.

As of late, I've been listening to the following bands A LOT in my car while driving around:

[list][*]Architects

[*]August Burns Red

[*]Born Of Osiris

[*]Bring Me The Horizon-I'm nervous for their next CD, on an interview with Kerrang! Magazine, Oli described the new CD/sound as being " 'more rock than metal. It's heavy though, and sounds a lot more fatter and beefier. We've also done some mellower tracks too.' Oliver Sykes, vocalist, also states that this album will see the band 'moving away from the sound' of their first album."

[*]Despised Icon

[*]Elysia-I'm also a bit nervous for this bands new CD coming out 6/10/08. From what I've heard of their new songs, they're going for a different sound, which wouldn't be nice in my opinion. If they do, I'm really gonna miss the outrageously brutal, heavy-a** Elysia I once knew.

[*]Emmure

[*]For The Fallen Dreams

[*]Knights Of The Abyss-The same goes for this bands next CD. It sounds somewhat decent, but from the songs I've heard they're going for a more Death Metal sound rather than Deathcore. It sounds like they'll still be using some "-core" influences in their songs though, just not as much.

[*]Parkway Drive

[*]Suicide Silence

[*]War From A Harlots Mouth

[*]Whitechapel

[*]Winds Of Plague[/list][/size]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"][QUOTE]I personally think "Alaska" by Between The Buried And Me is by far their best album. Listen to "Autodidact" and tell me that song, and the majority of the other ones on that CD aren't pure genius. Oh, and btw, listen to ALL of "Autodidact." That last breakdown is complete and utterly epic secks. "Colors" is alright in my opinion, I respect the technicality to the album, and do see it as genius, I just think their sound lost something that they had in "Alaska." Plus, there are just some completely off-the-wall and random parts to some songs, hah.[/QUOTE]

I can't argue with that... period. For me both albums were an amaszsing experience. Another amazing aspect of Alaska is the two 'soft' tracks, most importantly 'Medicine Wheel' that seperated Backwords Marathon and The Primer, it calmed down the music after an epic song, and The Primer became the ending of what seemed like 1 whole amazing song. The great thing about The Primer was that it captured BTBAM's ability to just be... awesome. I mean ****. I do however disagree with you to some extent, the whole band is pure secks.

That and the 'hillbilly-bar' in Ants of the Sky was pure funny. Also Whtie walls is just one of the best conclusions to any album. Plus their cover of Queen's Bicycle Race was pure awesomness.

Anyways, onto the ridiculous stuff YAY! Cattle Decapitation and Cock and Ball Torture... yes these are real bands. I mean, extreme music is awesome, but when it gets to this point, its just stupid. C&BT is jus tplain WtF? It's so extremely well dumb, it's just groaning, moaning and the sound of crap. As for Cattle Decapataion, they are an excellant Grindcore band. As for Atreyu, their new stuff isn't extreme, but some of tehir old stuff is, in a way >_>

Anyways, do yourselves all a favor and listen to them... just ****ing do it.

[B]EDIT: [/B]Yes I am a huge fan of these guys, so here's a link to a review of Alaska that sums up the experience perfectly... [URL="http://www.stylusmagazine.com/review.php?ID=3408"]Alaska Review [/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I'm basing my judgement of genre on [b]The Devil Wears Prada[/b] off of the songs "Reptar, King of the Ozone" and "Still Fly" off of Punk Goes Crunk. Those defintly don't sound metalcore to me. I suppose the lack of clean vocals and metal-like solos are what influence that. Or maybe its the fact that they catergorize themselves on MySpace as Hardcore above metal. But I suppose I can't make a fair judgement since I just started listening to them.

As well, I just started listening to [b]As Blood Runs Black[/b]. So I can't be all "lolz, you're right they are covering themselves" since I have no real point of judgement on it at this point.

Right now, my top five is:

Born of Osiris
Winds of Plague
Job For A Cowboy
The Black Dahlia Murder
Bring Me The Horizon.

As far as I'm concerned, they are the best of the best next to the local scene that I got.[/color][/size]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][size=1]There's something about Job for a Cowboy I really don't like. I don't really know, as for Bring me the Horizon, Hunter has talked about them, and I'm going to check them out soon.

The Black Dahlia Murder kicks mad *** as well, I just love the vocalists voice, something about that kind of screaming just gets me pumped, also, while more Metal than Hardcore, Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine is an awesome song, and TBDM's vocals seem similiar to Dani Filth's inho.[/size][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aberinkula'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][size=1]There's something about Job for a Cowboy I really don't like. I don't really know, as for Bring me the Horizon, Hunter has talked about them, and I'm going to check them out soon.

The Black Dahlia Murder kicks mad *** as well, I just love the vocalists voice, something about that kind of screaming just gets me pumped, also, while more Metal than Hardcore, Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine is an awesome song, and TBDM's vocals seem similiar to Dani Filth's inho.[/size][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]If you like The Black Dahlia Murder's vocals, definitely give me me Bring Me The Horizon a listen, both vocalists have very similar vocal styles. Especially as far as high screams go, both Oliver of BMTH and Trevor of TBDM have very high, raspy, throaty high screams, haha.

And Zen, take a listen to both "Plagues" and "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord" by The Devil Wears Prada, and listen to all of their songs. If they aren't Metalcore at its finest, then I deserve to be punched right in the teeth.
They are Metalcore though, so :p
haha

;D![/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Haha, you yourself may be in a mix up with genres... Bands like Bullet For My Valentine in no way deserve to be called Screamo, lol. If no one here has heard a real emo/screamo band, I suggest you do. I'm sure you've all heard Rick and I talk about "[B]Circle Takes the Square[/B]"... This is screamo at its finest, following in the footsteps of [B]pg. 99, Orchid, Saetia, City of Caterpillars, Rites of Spring,[/B] and so many more... and paving the way for new screamo bands that have started using prog and art in their music, like [B]Gospel[/B] and [B]I Would Set Myself on Fire For You[/B]. If anything, listen to CTTS and pg. 99 to see just how extreme this music is.

Other than screamo itself, you can tell that alot of new post-hardcore bands have taken a big influence from the genre. [B]The Blood Brothers, Fear Before the March of Flames.[/B].. A whole new genre, came straight from screamo, as well, mixed with metalcore and mathematical time signatures. That's right. Mathcore. [B]Dillinger Escape Plan, As The Sun Sets, The Number 12 Looks Like You, Converge, Genghis Tron[/B]. Not to mention, noise rock. [B]Some Girls, Japanther, The Locust, Test Icicles[/B]... whoo.

So if anything. Listen to real screamo, and see the real difference between "Bullet for my Valentine" and the chaotic rawness, that is the emo/screamo genre. This of course, would be a recommendation. Calling metalcore bands "screamo" is a common mistake, so no harm done.

[url]www.myspace.com/circletakesthesquare[/url]
[url]www.myspace.com/saetia[/url]
[url]www.myspace.com/pg99[/url]

Though, you could probably find more songs on last fm.

p.s- if BMTH changes their sound too much, it will be the worst mistake they've made.. Maybe they don't understand how mainstream they are in the U.S right now... [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[size=1]Haha, I know my genres, thanks. Personally, I think Circle Takes The Square has more Grind/Thrash influences then anything, but that's just me.

As for Bullet For My Valentine, I GUARANTEE YOU they aren't Metalcore.
[i]At all[/i].
Labeling them as such is just ridiculous. They have hardly any Metal influences, they're more Rock then anything. Maybe even a bit Punk, with a few Thrash influences. They rely heavily on clean vocals, outrageously simple guitar chords, and have little to no "-core" influences. And you have to admit, their earlier music was definitely Screamo. Some of their newer songs have a different sound, but labeling them Metal, Metalcore, or anything of the like is just downright wrong.

And I agree about Bring Me The Horizon, I've been listening to them since "Count Your Blessings" came out. That's a few good years, haha, and the sound and CD they had were just incredible. If they change their sound entirely, I'm gonna be severely disappointed.
I'm seeing them on Warped Tour when they come down here to San Diego, hopefully I get a taste of what their new music is. I'll make my judgment then, until then though I'm gonna have to keep hoping that they were just joking around, hah.[/size]

Woo let's argue about subjective things! Hell yea that's productive.

Anyhoo I just started to listening to these bands yesterday.

[B]Kylesa[/B]

Goodbye Face recommended this as a metal band with a good female vocalist. And he was right! They have a sorta thrashy sludgy feel which is cool. I should get more of their music.

[B]Unexpect[/B]
I found out on my own about them. They have a really weird feel. Like if you mixed Ion Dissonance with a female Opera singer this would be the result. Very good stuff but I doubt most of you guys would like it.

[B]Made out of Babies[/B]
Another goodbye Face rec here. The lead signer of this band joined Battle of Mice afterwards. I think I prefer this as it is a bit more abrasive and faster. Also it has rhythms that are a bit better than Battle of Mice.

Yup that's it.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I'm just glad we can tell people they're wrong about genre's without clashing into a neverending battle! But I have to admit, screamo or not, the old BFMV wasn't that good, and the new stuff is better. But still the 'scene' kids still prolly think they're real metal >_>

As for BFMV not being metalcore, still whether right or wrong, I don't think they could care less. As for Circle Takes the Square... omg orgazm! Kill the Switch is just... the best. But grind sounds or not, they are still screamo at it's finest.

Converge is the ****, they are more grindy than CTTS by far. No More Heroes is my favorite song by them. Another awesome screamo band is [B]Our Last Night[/B], the frontman is only 14 years old and he is amazing for his age imo, they don't have much pizazz, but they do have valuable assets. However I haven't listened to them in a while so I forgot, anyways, yeah the lead singer is 14 and everyone else is over 18 lol... but check them out... if you can. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='boothten'][size=1]If you like The Black Dahlia Murder's vocals, definitely give me me Bring Me The Horizon a listen, both vocalists have very similar vocal styles. Especially as far as high screams go, both Oliver of BMTH and Trevor of TBDM have very high, raspy, throaty high screams, haha.

And Zen, take a listen to both "Plagues" and "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord" by The Devil Wears Prada, and listen to all of their songs. If they aren't Metalcore at its finest, then I deserve to be punched right in the teeth.
They are Metalcore though, so :p
haha

;D![/size][/QUOTE]

Alright, I listened to the song "Hey John, What's Your Name Again" and I'll agree, there is some Metalcore in there with clean vocals and the opening riff. But still, the style of singing (more pop-punk than metal) and the frantic-ness of their guitars still make me think punk than metal. So I think Hardcore/Metalcore is agreeable, being that they have songs of both genres.

As for [b]Bring Me The Horizon[/b], I personally think Oli Sykes has the best high vocals in the current scene, and yet he still has a pretty suprising range. He's definetly one of my idols when it comes to highs and mids. I love Black Dahlia also, but I like his voice because it's more definable and unique than anything.

But yeah, "Pray For Plagues", "Tell Slater Not To Wash His Dick", and "For Stevie Wonder's Eyes Only" are some of my favorites by BMTH. Not to mention how awesome the video for "Pray For Plagues" is.

Also, recently I started listening to a bit more [b]Despised Icon[/b]. Man are they awesome. I really would like to see more dual vocals going like that. If they experimented with over-lapping and trade-offs more, they could really create a really unique sound.[/color][/size]

Whoa I just started listening to [B]Mr.Bungle[/B]. What the hell? How did they make the money to make more than one album? Don't get me wrong I do like it very much. It's just...I don't really see how anyone else could. It's infectious yet it's just basically random sound...

Ah oh well I like it and that's all that matters.

[quote name='Aberinkula'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I'm just glad we can tell people they're wrong about genre's without clashing into a neverending battle! But I have to admit, screamo or not, the old BFMV wasn't that good, and the new stuff is better. But still the 'scene' kids still prolly think they're real metal >_>

As for BFMV not being metalcore, still whether right or wrong, I don't think they could care less. As for Circle Takes the Square... omg orgazm! Kill the Switch is just... the best. But grind sounds or not, they are still screamo at it's finest.

Converge is the ****, they are more grindy than CTTS by far. No More Heroes is my favorite song by them. Another awesome screamo band is [B]Our Last Night[/B], the frontman is only 14 years old and he is amazing for his age imo, they don't have much pizazz, but they do have valuable assets. However I haven't listened to them in a while so I forgot, anyways, yeah the lead singer is 14 and everyone else is over 18 lol... but check them out... if you can. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="hotPink"][SIZE="1"]Well yeah, it is good to not clash over genres... But man. We just went over this. Our Last Night is pretty much just like any pop post-hardcore band. This is not screamo lol... Like you guys are understanding that CTTS has grind influence. YES. That is screamo... Not so much Thrash. Thrash is Kill 'Em All by Metallica. That, is thrash. But screamo, well its something different than the usual post-hardcore wannabes. It has to have that chaoticness, without the pop to be a screamo band... However, I will say I was impressed by OLN's singer/screamer, though I hate his clean vox, his screams are pretty sweet, though you can hear the obvious 15 year old in his voice... Great label for them to get signed to as well, though I'm starting to get disappointed by Epitaph... for switching from strange punk spin offs to metalcore...

Zen, my friend... those clean vocals are everywhere in metalcore. Most metalcore bands carry on the whiny pop vocals, because it is a trend. None the less, listen to "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord", this album was more raw. Before pop vocals had grown so trendy in metalcore, I suppose.

Speaking of trendy metalcore... I've been listening to As I Lay Dying a little bit... After hanging with my friend Oran last night (drummer for my old band) and jamming, I started playing "Through Struggle" since he could play it on drums... I believe we might practice this song more.. AILD is a good metalcore band, though it seems they try too hard to appeal to scene kids... They also, should work on... individuality. Their songs all sound, well.. [I]Extremely similar.[/I] Nonetheless, I enjoy the music.

p.s- No, boothten. I won't admit Bullet for my Valentine was EVER screamo... Sigh. I'm not trying to get into an argument, but you have to learn that the bands I listed where screamo. That is fact, and can be looked up in a major information provider. So, since you've already heard CTTS. Listen to Saetia, and pg. 99, maybe even Orchid, Gospel, or I Would Set Myself on Fire for you. Somebody should, to hear the real difference between mis-labeled bands like Chiodos, Alesana, Bullet for My Valentine, and all the scene bands... >_<

For once, I wish face was here, because this subject is easily agreed with between him and I.[/size]

[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]Speaking of trendy metalcore... I've been listening to As I Lay Dying a little bit... After hanging with my friend Oran last night (drummer for my old band) and jamming, I started playing "Through Struggle" since he could play it on drums... I believe we might practice this song more.. AILD is a good metalcore band, though it seems they try too hard to appeal to scene kids... They also, should work on... individuality. Their songs all sound, well.. Extremely similar. Nonetheless, I enjoy the music. [/QUOTE]They are one of the first metal core bands I tuned into. I never liked them that much their vocals were just too bad and their instrumentals did not make up for it at all.

However I do like All that Remains which is a pretty"trendy" metalcore band.

But wait...why are we talking about trendy music in this thread?

[quote name='Panache']They are one of the first metal core bands I tuned into. I never liked them that much their vocals were just too bad and their instrumentals did not make up for it at all.

However I do like All that Remains which is a pretty"trendy" metalcore band.

But wait...why are we talking about trendy music in this thread?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="hotPink"][SIZE="1"]Well, they're talking about Metalcore... Honestly, its all a trend, except for maybe Between the Buried and Me and my personal favorite, HeavyHeavyLowLow. I forgot to mention HHLL I think. But... wow. ...Uh.. AILD had instrumentals? Jk. I understand what you meant. But, I enjoy it all, oddly enough. Much more than the other trend holders Killswitch Engage, and All that Remains. TDWP is another one, but not one of those run by guys in their thirties... These guys are appealing to all the girls and young kids with flippy hair, lol. TDWP, I will say, is my second favorite metalcore band.

HHLL is just too great.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][COLOR="hotPink"][SIZE="1"]
Zen, my friend... those clean vocals are everywhere in metalcore. Most metalcore bands carry on the whiny pop vocals, because it is a trend. None the less, listen to "Dear Love: A Beautiful Discord", this album was more raw. Before pop vocals had grown so trendy in metalcore, I suppose.

[/size]

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Of course they are. I wasn't saying that Metalcore doesn't have clean vocals. On the contrary, the fact that I hadn't heard them use clean vocals was the reason why I thought [b]The Devil Wears Prada[/b] wasn't a metalcore band, but rather hardcore.

Believe me, I listen to Metalcore, one of my favorite bands right now are [b]All That Remains[/b] and I'm also a small fan of [b]Killswitch Engage[/b]. They use clean vocals often, so I understand that clean vocals are in metalcore. In fact I think for something to qualify as metalcore, there needs to be clean vocals at some point.[/color][/size]