OtakuBoards

What got you into art/drawing?

Alucard

• 1 month later...
Actually it was my lover who recognized my potential and gave me the motivation to improve at drawing etc. Also because one day I realized that the more mediums of art, the more expression (I also play guitar, write poetry/ stories, and so on).

Hmmm... Guess with me I picked it up from my mom, though as far as what we do art wise were complete opposites. She's better at realism n' such. As for me I've always loved cartoons so that's basically the route I go. Anytime she's seen anything I've drawn she always says "See I can't do that..."

Earliest thing I remember as far as trying to draw stuff or learn at least was just looking at random stuff out of coloring books and tryin to draw it on my own. Though some of the stuff I've drawn over the years apparently my friends wont get rid of.

In middleschool I drew a picture of all the Ghost Pokemon basically beatin the tar out of other various Pokemon. My friend Kat has it in her livingroom.

Drew Wobbly Headed Bob (JtHM related nonsense anyone?) for my hubby back in highschool and he still has that one too.

Only thing with me is I always nit pick everything to death when it comes to my own work, hence why my DA account is pretty barren. I had one of my old comic book idea's up there a long while back but I took it down just because while I loved it I couldn't figure out what to do with it. So frustration put an end to that. I dunno... I've been more artistic lately though than I have been in a while and now I don't have anyway to really get it all online even if I decided to share it. Haha half the time I don't even show the hubby what I've been drawing.

Personally though regardless of if I share it with anyone or not I think drawing is just simply relaxing, up until I critique myself anyway. :P Good way to vent frustration for me too. So I rather enjoy just grabbin a pencil and drawing whatever comes to mind first.

I was in a gifted/talented art program in the 5th grade of my elementary school. It was one of the way our school offered "extensions" to some of the students. We went once a week to the middle schools to receive art lessons from the teachers there. It was awesome, and I chose art classes over music classes for credit ever since. Because of that, I've always had an itch for the pencil and paints.

I always liked drawing, but it wasn't until the sixth grade when I really started drawing. It was actually the otaku, the MyOtaku to be precise back before the new version.
I saw that there were millions upon millions of other artists drawing and sharing their art.
I thought it would be fun to do that as well so I started practicing hoping to be as good as some who I idolized.
And now finally 4 years later I am getting commissions, but still working to get my artwork to a higher level.

It was actually my lover. He noticed my talent and told me I should make it more realized. I have also since adopted the notion of my art (seeing myself as an artist) as being able to have the most expression from having the most mediums possible. This directly allows for art to be more of art.

There is a certain way with some images, like those of many of the Hindu Gods, and many of the trump cards of the Tarot's images. Shiva, Hindu God of Destruction, in the manifestation (Hindu Gods have many forms) of Nataraja, Cosmic Lord of Dance, holds a flame in right hand; in the left, he holds a drum, while at his feet he dances on a demon of ignorance. He wears a tigerskin, a cobra is at his side. He has a third eye. It has three wavy lines over it, called [i]vibhuti[/i], a symbol of the essence of Shiva.

These many aspects all combine to something that is an emergent phenomena, which in other words means that it is more than the sum of its parts. So this same emergency of phenomena happens, in a different sense, when the artist takes up, and attempts to master in skill and talent, and all aspects utterly every medium possible. Something different is allowed. A more true, full, wholesome vision. One medium assists another, and the other.

I have many other mediums to master. The creative side, as well as destructive (for, as the Shiva manifestation I mention shows, they are one and in balance and entwined and one in the other), has many different possibilities of expression through the human being.

• 4 months later...
According to me art is a thing to learn and possessing the discipline for regular practice. Any art school is required even if all you can looking stickmen. Once I when i will finish doing Fine Art at university I will be going into Illustration and freelancing on the side, selling my own work. This way I can get a nice income.

• 4 weeks later...
I started taking it seriously because my friend was amazing at it and he drew me a picture in 3rd grade and I really liked it. I wanted to be able to do that.

I think it also happened because I didn't (and still don't) really like people and so I usually drew when I didn't feel like drawing.

• 4 weeks later...
[font="Garamond"][size="2"][color="#800080"][b]Woot! [/b]Go first post in years! Ahem.

Man it's been[b] years[/b] since I've last drawn. But the last month near the end. I actually got into drawing again.

I can simply say, my best friend. She is the one who inspired me to pick up a pencil and draw anything that came to mind. This was back in the seventh grade during fifth period I presume. We had barely known each other and what connected us was her Sailor Moon comics. Ah, good memories...

Anyhow, one day she whipped out her sketchbook and showed off her work. I was simply astonished at her talent to draw so darn good. Heck, I even got slightly envious and wished I could do that. So in due time, I eventually started practicing in my spare time. I was crappy and they looked more like doodles than actual drawings. But I kept on and I got the hang of it. I would show her my works and she'd give me her opinion and advice. We even drew tidbit comics together and wrote fanfics. It was a blast being able to draw with her and the fact that it open so many doors for me. I learned so much and tried many things throughout my years. It's fun and shows my creativity. I also got to meet other artist and so forth. Got to look into everyone's style and it's just...well cool. Lol. I don't want to bore anyone anymore. So I'll leave it at that. I always look back and smile at those memories. During this day she is now a graduate of graphics and such (Forgot the correct term) and I just do it for fun. I actually drew something for her for the first time this year. [b]^_^ [/b][/color][/size][/font] Edited by Persona

• 3 weeks later...
This question is as easy to answer as why is there something rather than nothing, but I'll come up with something.

I honestly have no idea what got me into art. All I remember is that I liked drawing ever since I could hold a pencil. As I got older and refined my art, I found more techniques that I could use to get the things out of my head an onto a paper. Now how fascinating is that? Putting down for all to see something that originated in your head? In a way, art is like a language in that it contains "meanings" that are immediately understood by whomever happens to create or observe the piece in question. Of course, there are cases when art can go over someone's head, just are there are cases when a sentence can go over someone's head. However, that's when art-as-language stops "speaking", and instead starts gesturing, singing, screaming, dancing - i.e. it makes us [i]feel.[/i] And that says something interesting to me; when we work with an object of art, we're engaging with it in a way that [i]demands[/i] our full attention. It's this sustained effort to create something new and arresting that captivates me, and keeps me coming back to try new things. Perhaps, what made me start drawing was the fact that I had a talent to speak without language, as it were.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know what got me into drawing in the first place. When i was little i would sit with a steno pad scribbles (tornadoes) and stick people...... at our kitchen table. I hated coloring, with crayons. In second grade my friends at the babysitter's were watching pokemon, so of course i became hooked on anime, I just didn't know it. Later in seventh grade most of my friends became hooked on anime and manga, and then I bought my first manga book and have been obessed with anime ever since.

I guess what got me into art was early grade school art class. I remember one class I had in which there was no boundaries set upon us by the teacher. We weren't told to draw a pumpkin or an apple....we were asked to draw what we wanted to. I drew alot of Final Fantasy artworks and Pokemon as well. Of course I looked like a loser to the class so I stopped drawing anime things. I was unhappy for awhile but then I stopped caring what others said and started back up drawing anime things. I had a little help from a friend to get me started again and Im very gracious for that matter. Now Im going to school majoring in Graphic Design. Im hoping to open my own store selling graphic art t-shirts and designing cd covers and any other cool things I can come up with.

• 2 months later...
I got into drawing when I was 14 (15 now) and read a manga called 'Bakuman' from the creators of death note. So after trying to draw with trial and error, I thought that I might as well buy a book, so I bought artofotaku.com's book and it helped me alot. But I still cant say that I'm professional or someone that can draw awesome manga without guides. But I can draw quite decently. Later on in the same year, I moved to another school and met a guy the meets the same passion as me, but he was not THAT good at it. So we teamed up to make mangas and one-shots and we liked it. Now we're best friends thanks to art :)

Thanks,
SoK Edited by Sea Of Knowledge

• 1 month later...