OtakuBoards

Need some games

Magus

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I should be playing Dragon Quest 8, but I just don't feel like it.

[strike]I only have a PS2 and Gamecube at the moment. (My mom has a DS, but she won't let me buy anything for it, so "shrugs") And I don't think I'll have any of the newer consoles before the year is up so if we can keep those games crossed off for the time being.[/strike]

I tend to stay away from [b]ALL[/b] musical games, so please don't waste your time suggesting Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Heroes. [strike]I'll probably end up deleting your post by accident or something[/strike] I also stay away from the GTA series as well as Mario games. (Picky indeed.)

S/T RPGs are another variety of games I stay away from. I suck at em, and I don't be up to thinking so much. And then I tend to stay away the Soul Caliburs and Tekkens. You can probably suggest some racing and sports games, but chances are I won't play them.

Rare gems that has the same price of an used PS2 (Marvel vs Capcom 2, Shin Megami Tensei) don't need to be mentioned. Don't be afraid to shout out some PS games....

My brother has Zelda: Wind Waker.

Chances are that I'll end up remembering if I played this or that when the games are mentioned. So, fire away.

[size=1]Seems like I'm leaving something out.[/size]

Edit 2: So this can help people out...

[b]Games I've played[/b] (I'll edit this regularly)
Final Fantasy 7 & Final Fantasy 8
Onimusha 3 & Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Devil May Cry 1 & Devil May Cry 3 (and SE)
Metal Gear Solid 2 & Metal Gear Solid 3 (and SS)
God of War
Genji
[i]Resident Evil 2
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Dead or Alive 2 Hardcore
Soul Calibur 2
Tekken 3, Tekken Tag Tournament, Tekken 5
Indigo Prophecy
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Chronicles
Virtua Fighter 4[/i]

[b]Games I have[/b]
Devil May Cry 3
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy 7
Kingdom Hearts 2
Genji
Dragon Quest 8
Street Fighter Alpha Antholgy
Guilty Gear X2[/COLOR]

[size=3]Ignore this post[/size]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I'll suggest to you the only two PS2 games I've bought in the past several years, and I recommend looking them up elsewhere before you buy them, as they're both a little on the odd side.

[B]Okami[/B], for one. Just imagine a Zelda game where you're a wolf with magical caligraphy powers (so says every game review site that's even touched on the game). Don't get me wrong, it's very unique, but some of the play style, and particularly the interactions with the people around you smack of Zelda. But isn't that a good thing?

And the other unexpected hit, [B]Shadow of the Collosus[/B]. Short, short game. But brilliant. And strange. The gameplay consists of finding and then destroying sixteen 'collosi' (is that how you spell plural collosus?). I won't go into the story, but if you like new types of gameplay, you've got to try it.

Again, look 'em up. Don't take my word for it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="Navy"]Heh, I think this is the third time that both, Okami and Shadow of the Colossus were mentioned together.

In any case, I've seen some boss fights for Shadow of the Colossus, and while the graphics looks prettiful, I can't say that I was really thrilled to watch it. For some odd ball of a reason it just looked boring. I remember someone telling me that SotC might not be for me with the types of games I normally play. (action.. similar to DMC)

Speaking of which, I've also played Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore, and Final Fantasy X and Star Ocean 3.. (about 5 hours of FFX and 11 of SO3 before tossing them.) X-Men Legends 1 & 2 as well as Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Ultimate Spider-Man.

That's about all I can remember at the moment.

Oh yeah, and Final Fantasy Chronicles... (Chrono Trigger only)[/COLOR]

[Font=" Franklin Gothic Medium"] Nice try, Nerdsy. That was good for a few lol's but let's try to add a little more to the topic next time, thank you.

If I could suggest a good game that's not too taxing on the brain, but good for a few playthoughs...it would have to be the [B]Ace Combat[/B] series. I own AC4 and AC5 and I find the flight sim games pretty enjoyable. The graphics on the game are fantastic, but the gameplay is what I love most about the games. I would say AC4 is the better entry of the two, but it really doesn't matter which one you pick up, since the games aren't tied in chronologically from game to game. [/Font]

[quote name='Korey'][Font=" Franklin Gothic Medium"] Nice try, Nerdsy. That was good for a few lol's but let's try to add a little more to the topic next time, thank you.[/Font][/QUOTE][size=1]You're getting trigger happy, kid.

Anyway, have you tried playing FFXII? I know you said you played FFX and hated it, but XII is a much, much different game. Just about everything in the game is more complex and interesting than its' predecessor, although I must admit that the characters are a little boring.

Plus, it's a Final Fantasy game so you'll be able to spend 100 hours of your life completing it.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Korey']If I could suggest a good game that's not too taxing on the brain, but good for a few playthoughs...it would have to be the Ace Combat series. I own AC4 and AC5 and I find the flight sim games pretty enjoyable. The graphics on the game are fantastic, but the gameplay is what I love most about the games. I would say AC4 is the better entry of the two, but it really doesn't matter which one you pick up, since the games aren't tied in chronologically from game to game. [/quote]

I had Ace Combat 6 here the other day (borrowed my friends Xbox 360), but never got around to playing it. (was playing Ninja Gaiden 2) I think the last airplane type game I've played was Afterburner, and that was a long time ago. Is it anything like that?

[quote name='Shy']Anyway, have you tried playing FFXII? I know you said you played FFX and hated it, but XII is a much, much different game. Just about everything in the game is more complex and interesting than its' predecessor, although I must admit that the characters are a little boring.[/quote]
I've only played the demo and didn't like what I was playing, but after Sandy's explanation of the gameplay/battle system (one of those), I'm tempted to trying out the actual game. Honestly, I've actually been tempted to buy FFX again, too. I didn't give it much of a chance, and I didn't explore the grid thoroughly.

Alright Guilty Gear fans. What's the difference between X, X2 and XX Accent Core? (Besides different numerals.)

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]No I wouldn't say that Ace Combat is anything like Afterburner. I'm assuming you mean the original arcade game from Sega, and not the remake that they did. Ace Combat is more like flying an actual plane, where After Burner is more like other arcade plane shooters, just not top down camera style. Both games are very fun though.

And the difference is as follows.

X- Guilty Gear X. The game that came before X2.

X2- AKA Guilty Gear XX. Sequel to GG:X,

Accent Core- Newest revision of X2, with new features and gameplay balancing. Think of it like the revisions they did for Street Fighter 2 (Champion Editon, Hyper Fighting, Turbo...etc.)[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]X2- AKA Guilty Gear XX. Sequel to GG:X,

Accent Core- Newest revision of X2, with new features and gameplay balancing. Think of it like the revisions they did for Street Fighter 2 (Champion Editon, Hyper Fighting, Turbo...etc.)[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Ah, so it wouldn't matter which one to pick up?

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Accent Core would be the easiest one to find. It's currently on the Wii and the Playstation 2. I have a port of GGXX#R (sharp reload, a revision of GGXX) on my PSP that is part of a bundle pack called [B][I]Guilty Gear: Judgment[/I][/B].[/FONT]

Finding the Guilty Gear games hasn't been much of a problem since I tend to go to amazon a lot. Hm, I think I'm worried about missing out on the story mode if I buy Accent Core, but at the same time, I'm not certain what I'd be missing out on if I buy X2.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]The story mode for Guilty Gear is kind of overrated. It's very dry and only used to clear up why fighter A hates fighter B. It's not really that essential to the enjoyment of the game. The thing that Accent Core has over X2 though is that it is highly refined and more balaned than it's three predecessors (GGX2: Slash, GGX2:#R and GGX2). The developers took a lot of glitchy elements in the game and added a whole bunch of new features and moves. This game is probably the best entry in the series so far, in my opinion. [/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]You really need [B]Soul Calibur 4[/B], and don't say you don't, because I know you like fighting games, even though you tend to stay away from Soul Calibur and Tekken which is absolutely silly, so don't be a Picky McPickerson and play the glorious game feat. Darth Vader if you're cool and have it on the PS3 or Yoda if you fail at life and have it on the 360.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Silpheedpilot (along with Random.. I'll get to you in a bit), you tell me not to be picky, I'm gonna tell you to read. If you're going by them days where I had a 360, I only borrowed it for a couple of days from a friend, and he's long gone away from here. Even if I did own a 360 or PS3, I don't have intention on getting another Soul Calibur or Tekken game again. Silly? "shrugs"

[quote name='me']I only have a PS2 and Gamecube at the moment. (My mom has a DS, but she won't let me buy anything for it, so "shrugs") And I don't think I'll have any of the newer consoles before the year is up so if we can keep those games crossed off for the time being.[/quote]

Randomuser, welcome. If you're going to suggest games to me, I'm going to need more reasoning than "it's a terrific game".

Edit: I do thank y'all for the suggestions no less, though. :)

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Oh, I read it's just that I didn't care that you were picky and wasn't aware you only had the 360 for a while. Instead of wasting bandwidth on useless; 'I don't really care about your opinions! lololol' topics pick up a magazine and head straight for the review section cause at least it doesn't have to put up with your snide attitude. Or better yet, jump into the next-gen pool with everyone else.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Fair enough. My snide attitude.. My bad. I'll leave that bit out from now on. (Or atleast I'll try.)

Now, I don't suppose you're going to give me $280-$400 to jump into the next gen bandwagon then? XD

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Save up some paychecks, mow some lawns, steal some money from your mom's purse. Do what you gotta do.

As for PS2 games I can suggest...

[B]Rogue Galaxy [/B]is an excellent RPG if you haven't play that. Basically all of the good in an RPG and none of the bad, except maybe a not-so-Final Fantasy storyline.

[B]The Punisher [/B]is a nice violent retreat for a night. Good rental.

[B]Killzone[/B] if you can stand to play a sub-par shooter with so much wasted potential. However, it is fun and has so much style to spare.

[B]Shadow of the Colossus [/B]is quite amazing. Great production values as well as the perfect concept of fighting only bosses. Climb to the top or wherever you gotta be to hurt it and, well, do it. Most the fun comes from figuring out how break a piece of armor off, how to stop it from moving or whatever.

[B]EDIT[/B]: You've played Rogue Galaxy but if you haven't beaten it why not go back and do that?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I never beated the first game, but the [B]Viewtiful Joe[/B] games are incredibly fun beat-em-up games. I believe both part 1 and 2 are available on the PS2 and the Gamecube.

The games themselves may look childish and may be kind of a turn off, but they are seriously packed with challenging enemies and bosses. I remember most of the bosses were pretty cheesy, but they also have a unique charm to them. However, the best thing I like about this series is the awesome combat engine. You could slow down time, speed things up, or even replay powerful attacks at almost any given time. This results in some of the most stylish and coolest looking attacks ever seen in a videogame. It?s pure action at its best.

Most importantly, these games are pretty cheap these days, so if you never played them, I highly recommend them.

Also, if you haven't played [B]Resident Evil 4[/B] yet, you should totally get it. The game is more action driven than about being scary. Amazing selection of guns to mess around with, and blasting those possessed humans in the head is a lot of fun. Probably one of the best games from last generation.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Treble']I never beated the first game, but the [B]Viewtiful Joe[/B] games are incredibly fun beat-em-up games. I believe both part 1 and 2 are available on the PS2 and the Gamecube.

Also, if you haven't played [B]Resident Evil 4[/B] yet, you should totally get it. The game is more action driven than about being scary. Amazing selection of guns to mess around with, and blasting those possessed humans in the head is a lot of fun. Probably one of the best games from last generation.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree whole heartidly here. I've only played the first viewtiful Joe and it was an incredible game.

You didn't mention any of the Resident Evil games, I would suggest starting at the begining and working your way through they're all great games. And if you try them and like them, the Silent Hill games would be my next suggestion. My finacee would never play video games with me unless we got out the old nintendo and played Mario I, or III. Other than that she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I owned RE I-III when we first started dating, I finally got her to play them around the time RE IV came out and she got hooked. The same was for the Silent HIll series. Try them, you'll love them.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I would suggest playing through the MGS series if you haven't already. I loved all the games ([B]Metal Gear Solid 3[/B] being my personal favorite). The stories are about as convoluted as any heterogeneous paint mixture, but the action is always high and the amount of "lolwut?" moments are always high. I often spend time just messing around in the game and seeing what happens. [spoiler]You'll be surprised the first time that you look up in MGS2 on the Plant and a bird poops on you[/spoiler]. I loved the boss fights in the game, with the most memorable fight probably being against Pyscho Mantis. That fight is always very challenging , especially when you figure out why he can "read your mind". [/FONT]

• 5 months later...
Pretty much a Nintendo DS only recommendation here. You can pretty much ignore the very first post. I rarely have any time to play console games, especially now that finals are coming up. (I know, I just said I was playing 2 games yesterday, but yesterday was a free day lol) Just a few rules though.

[b]Don't suggest[/b]

Phoenix Wright series - I am well aware of how awesome the games are. I had [i]Justice for All and Apollo Justice[/i]. I have every intention on buying these games again. [spoiler]The lady with the whip is scary.[/spoiler] XD

Music games - Pretty much the same deal with consoles. I don't play them.

S/T RPGs - Like before, I'm not much of a thinker, and all that setting characters up and stuff... nah. I like to just get on with it.

Chrono Trigger - Much like the Phoenix Wright series, I'm aware of it's awesomeness. It's just a matter of time when I get my hands on it.

Pokemon - Err... I'll just say I'm not a fan and leave it at that.

Everything else is pretty legit... (Although, I should say mario as well, but I think it's bout time I put my biasness against him aside lol)

Edit: Oh... crap, forgot to say everything I played. It's not much though..

Sonic Rush (Honestly, I just don't care for Sonic anymore)
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]If you are interested in [B]Chrono Trigger[/B], you might also be interested in[B] the World End With You[/B]. It's a little awkward for me to be recomemding this right now, so I'll just point you to the TWEWY thread
[/FONT][/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=58999"]click[/URL]

"Headsmack" I forgot about that game, and it's been on the rage for quite some time. I even managed to suggest it to someone to check it out (even though I never played it). Yeah, I have intentions on picking up the World Ends With You as well. Thanks for the reminder.

[color=deeppink]Castlevania: DS is a great side-scrolling platformer. It's got fantastic RPG elements (levling up, equipment, items, stuff like that), and you can unlock a second mode that requires almost an entirely different kind of play style, which gives it great replay value.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village is incredible, though it there's a good chance you might not like it considering it's nothing but a bunch of brainteasers.[/color]