OtakuBoards

Scariest Video Game you ever played

Lunar

[COLOR="Indigo"]yes, this idea branched off the"Worst Video Game ever Made" thread. anyway, have you every played any freakishly scary video games? maybe some that kept you up at night? two freaked me out. constintine, which i couldn't even finish. and devil may cry 3, i almost beat it. [I]almost[/I].[/COLOR]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crimson Spider
I feel a little sheltered whenever someone makes a thread like this.

Now, most of the games I've played aren't "scary" in a sense of freaky, but scary in the sense that they make you jump and panic because you had no idea what was coming next.

That, for me, was Bioshock. Not too frightening in it's content, but the game is a bit creepy at times, and also is best played on a rainy night in the dark for a full "something's gonna get me" feel.

[quote name='Eclipsed Dreamer'][COLOR="Indigo"]What do you mean by "sheltered"?:confused:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Most likely that the topic is sorta confined, but anyways...

Games that scare me? Hmm that's almost never the case but there are games that were sorta freaky and had moments that made me jump. For example, when [spoiler] the zombie pops out of the furnace in RE4, the first time that happened it scared me[/spoiler] or any part in [B]Fatal Frame.[/B] I'm not scared of those games, but it's very cool to have them.

Constantine and DMC3 being scary? Maybe I'm just desensitized to this stuff, but I don't find either of those games scary in the least. They're both action games that offer little to no scare value besides the fact that you fight monsters. I'd say you'd need to delve into the survival-horror and science fiction shooter genres a little bit before you say that these games are scary. So play games like [B]Resident Evil[/B] ,[B]Doom 3[/B] , [B]Silent Hill[/B] ...etc so you can really be scared. ^_~[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Well, scary games are scarier for me 'cause I always watch horror movies. i'm kinda scarred for life. hehehe. anyway, i've watched silent hill alot so i take it that the game is twice as scary. as for overly happy people, i'm one of them.:catgirl:[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
It isn't recent, but one of the games that probably freaked me out the most was Doom. Not that the game is horribly scary mind you. It was probably the fact that I was only fourteen when my older brother decided I needed to give it a try. Up until that point, I had never played anything like that before. The second time I encountered it, I was older and it had lost it's ability to startle me.

[b]Friday the 13th for the NES[/b]. I believe I was between 8-9 when I played this game. Seeing a giant head flying around with a head full of snakes don't do you any justice, and what's worse is that your weapon of choice was paper airplanes. Now that I actually think about it, it's more comedy than scary. What is paper airplanes going to do against a friggin head full of snakes besides give them paper cuts?

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']The scarriest game I think I've ever played (I'm hoping when I go buy Dead Space today it'll blow this away) would have to be Metal Gear Solid 2. Does anyone remember what happens towards the end with the communicator?

Yeah, if you don't know play it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know what you're talking about, not really scary but its damn distressing for a time lol.

Im gonna have to say Dark Sector, I recently completed and to be honest the first time i played it through it did make me jump a few times and later on in the game when the stronger enemies start to mass it does get quite hectic. For those who havent played it its like a mixture between Res. Evil and MGS. I really enjoyed it though.

I imported the original Japanese Fatal Frame game, scared the life out of me. Not because I only had a camera and all these zombie things where coming at me, no. And it wasn't the fact that it wasn't censored no. It was both those things combied plus the fact that the game was all in Japanese and I had no idea what anyone was saying.
Recently bioshock scares the life out of me, the first level in particular when all I have is a wrench and I'm being attacked left right and centre by splicers and big daddy's.
Houndi splicers still scare me no matter what weapon I have equiped, the disappearing and re appearing thing, especially at 3 in the morning in a pitch black room.
Not good for my heath I'll say that much.

• 3 weeks later...
The games that scared me... I'ts hard to really decide, I play so many survival horror games not much even gets me to jump. But back when I first got the Resident evil games for the gameqube I jumped quite a few times. The silent hill games scared me because of the anbience of the levels, I mean have you played homecoming yet! It's so damn dark you can't see your character half the time lol. But I have to say the most scary game I've ever played to date is Condemed 2 bloodshot. The game gets you freaked out just by how short it takes for you to die.

What is it that gets you freaked out in a game, I ask this to everyone?
For me its always the ambience of the game, how it sets the mood is key for me. Lots of akward silence, running for your life etc.
Like the part in condemed where your chased by that huge grizzly bear, my heart was pounding the entire time.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Well, it's really the part about me not knowing what's going to happen next. I mean, in Constintine(I totally spelt that wrong) there was this horde of monsters I was fighting, that's hard enough, but they had to add another monster right behind me that was so easy to beat, but hard to beat since I was fighting another group of them. Another example is when I was in a hall or something, hoping I would be able to calm down, I would hear the shriek of a monster and t urn around. It's like I didn't get any rest at all. :animedeprSo yeah................... NOT TO MENTION THE WAY THE MONSTERS LOOKED WERE FREAKIN' DISGUSTING!:animeangr[/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]Super Mario Brothers 3. Specifically, World 3 Level 3. Boss Bass.

That was the most terrifying **** ever. To this day, I have an irrational fear of underwater areas in videogames because [I]a Boss Bass might eat me.[/I][/color]

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']The scarriest game I think I've ever played (I'm hoping when I go buy Dead Space today it'll blow this away) would have to be Metal Gear Solid 2. Does anyone remember what happens towards the end with the communicator?

Yeah, if you don't know play it.[/QUOTE]

It's been a long time since I've played MGS2, and had to remember what you were talking about. You're not talking about [spoiler]Raiden running naked[/spoiler] are you?

Now that I think about it, you're right. No matter how many times I've played that part, my heart would always beat a bit faster due to my paronoia of being spotted. I always try to go through my games tranquing everyone. And to come across something like that for the first time is just ...argh...

Same with MGS3. [spoiler]Stripped of your weapons and running from the dogs[/spoiler]. I've yet to really play the 1st MGS, but I hope (if I ever play it) that it don't nor MGS4 have anything similar to the experience. I hate it when I have to go through areas without being armed.

[quote name='Metalcore501']
What is it that gets you freaked out in a game, I ask this to everyone?
For me its always the ambience of the game, how it sets the mood is key for me. Lots of akward silence, running for your life etc.
Like the part in condemed where your chased by that huge grizzly bear, my heart was pounding the entire time.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same for me. That's why I think Fatal Frame 2 is the scariest for me so far. (I know the others are supposed to be scarier, but it is the only one that I've played so far.)

But without giving anything away, the ambience in that game is really great. Even if you're not looking at it, the floor boards, the ceilings, almost everything has a great amount of detail to it. And some ghosts have just the right amount of details in certain places. (Like their clothes while leaving their face a bit more ghostly.)

Besides that though, your character helps add to that ambience. Since she sometimes hesitates to open doors, and you feel for her because of that. (Or I did at least.) Because if I were in her shoes, I wouldn't be quick to get a door open, or open any door at all if I could.

That's the scariest for me so far. Other games have scared me, but it was always just more of one of those 'surprising' scares. Fatal Frame 2 just creeped me out, even when the game was off.

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"]Hands-down, Fatal Frame II. Everything about the game just screams 'WTF NO!' from the sound, to the vibration (ALWAYS play with vibration), to the general look of everything, the way the camera filter is used, and the fact thatyou lack two very important things in a survival game, being 1) a weapon (I STILL don't think a mystic camera qualifies as a weapon, as it only works when enemies are really uncomfortably close to your face), and, more importantly, 2) a freakin' RUN button. Honestly, your character seems to have two speeds: 'walk slowly' and 'walk a little less slowly'. It's like the game's FORCING you to take your time and pay attention to all the details, when after a (short) while you REALLY don't want to.

Myself, I haven't touched it in three months. I think mine's possessed by a demon. I swear it's like [I]staring[/I] at me from my game shelf. I ain't touching that thing. Srsly, gais.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Neko'][SIZE="1"] It's like the game's FORCING you to take your time and pay attention to all the details, when after a (short) while you REALLY don't want to.

Myself, I haven't touched it in three months. I think mine's possessed by a demon. I swear it's like [I]staring[/I] at me from my game shelf. I ain't touching that thing. Srsly, gais.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]
Isn't that the point?:confused: That's the best part of any game. I'm with you on not playing it. I know Constintine doesn't hold a candle to Fatal Frame, but considering how many scary movies I watch, I understand your reasoning. How much did you pay for it?:catgirl:[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Neko'][SIZE="1"]'bout $35.

I'd say it was well spent, even though I don't play the thing. Gave me a healthy respect for people that keep the lights on when they sleep :catgirl:.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

now thats funny, but yes I have slept with the lights on before:animeswea
I havn't played fatal frame 11 or any of them now I think I have to, what consols are they on? Recently I got Left 4 Dead and was blown away. I wouldn't say scary as much as jumpy it'll make your heart race, so its more suspensful and climactic pretty much 99.9% of the time. Thats just me a guy who has almost all survival horror games on my shelf, so I'm very used to stuff of the genre.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]I'll tell you what's scary....playing Goldeneye on 00 agent after not touching the game in over a decade. All sorts of accuracy problems, being fragged by the first guard on the Dam mission, random spurts of "What the hell am I supposed to do again?" and various lol moments like "Why does everything have a small explosion when you shoot it?"

Needless to say, I haven't slept much these past few days. Some say it's finals week, but I blame Rare for that. You hear that Rare? YOU are responsible for my pain![/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
Castlevania 2 for the original Nintendo. It was a dark night during a lightning storm and I had heard in the paper of a kid that got zapped using a Nintendo during a lightning storm. My parents were out of the house so it was pretty quiet besides the storm and the faint 8 bit music. An image of the flame whip on one of the later levels is still burned into my mind.

A few years later I rented Bart's Nightmare for the Super Nintendo and had a similar experience. For some reason when your a kid and you have the chance to play a game all night when no one's home except for maybe your older siblings it changes the way you interact with the game. Especially if it's a game your renting rather than a game you own. If that's the case then the game just doesn't feel familiar and safe. Though these days playing a game is pretty much like watching a movie, so I dunno.

Revolution X for Super Nintendo had some pretty creepy scenes in it too. That game just felt awesome though so it didn't really matter.

Killer Instinct always had this evil vibe to it that I could never put my finger on. To more of an extent than Mortal Kombat 1, 2 ,and 3 (which it's basically a rip off of)

• 1 month later...
Dead Space is the only game that has really scared me. The dark atmosphere and the necromorphs movements are really creepy.

Among the Resident Evil series, only the original and 4 really were noteworthy especially REmake. I was much more surprised than scared though when an enemy would pop out of nowhere and attack.

Can't wait for Resident Evil 5.