OtakuBoards

New Star Trek Film (05/08/09)

TimeChaser

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Well I've seen it and I'm of two minds about it. I'll start with what felt off. Biggest thing was Nero. He was completely and totally underwhelming. Second part was... [spoiler]since when was a mining ship, regardless of being from the future, powerful enough to wipe out entire fleets?[/spoiler] That just didn't sit well with me during the entire movie. Especially since what [spoiler]mining ship is that heavily armed?[/spoiler] I'm sure someone can justify it, but that was the one thing in the movie that struck me as being dumber than hell. =P

Putting that aside, I did enjoy it. Enough that I wouldn't mind getting the DVD when it finally comes out. I enjoyed how Kirk was more angsty/arrogant vs. the getting the woman deal they've often done in the past. I like how it matched with his figuring things out.

I also enjoyed how the cast choices had certain aspects about their predecessors to make them recognizable and yet didn't attempt to simply copy them. It made them recognizable and yet unique enough that they were fun to watch. Like Chekov and his [spoiler]speech making it hard for the computer to recognize him, and Sulu with the fencing.[/spoiler] The actors who played Scotty and McCoy were fun too.

Like a few others, Uhura just didn't click. I know it sounds shallow, but I don't like the slinky tall model look. I do think she did a good job playing her so if they do more, we'll see. =P Spock was good and I'll overlook the [spoiler]relationship deal since they did skip what happened to lead up to it.[/spoiler] It was amusing how she kept [spoiler]Kirk at a distance and wouldn't even tell him her first name.[/spoiler]

The retro ship design with the glaring lights for the bridge and the industrial setting for other parts of the ship was spot on. I also liked how they let you see more of the rest of the crew in action. it made the ship seem more real in my opinion.

As for the [spoiler]alternate time line...[/spoiler] I can see why they went that route since it leaves things open for them to do more and it makes comparing it to the original kind of pointless along those lines. I just hope they do like they did with this movie and keep putting more into it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Well I've seen it and I'm of two minds about it. I'll start with what felt off. Biggest thing was Nero. He was completely and totally underwhelming. Second part was... [spoiler]since when was a mining ship, regardless of being from the future, powerful enough to wipe out entire fleets?[/spoiler] That just didn't sit well with me during the entire movie. Especially since what [spoiler]mining ship is that heavily armed?[/spoiler] I'm sure someone can justify it, but that was the one thing in the movie that struck me as being dumber than hell. =P [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah that was one of the things that struck me as being odd as well but it's addressed (how well is up for debate) in the prequel comic series [url=http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Countdown][b]Star Trek: Countdown[/b][/url] which answers a lot of the unanswered questions of the movie relating to the original timeline. On a side note [spoiler]woot that Data pulled a Spock and became the Enterprise's captain.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Second part was... [spoiler]since when was a mining ship, regardless of being from the future, powerful enough to wipe out entire fleets?[/spoiler] That just didn't sit well with me during the entire movie. Especially since what [spoiler]mining ship is that heavily armed?[/spoiler][/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]More to the point, if it was only so far into the future that Spock was still alive, how the frick was it even that big? The ship had to be bigger than a fusion cube. And it was a [I]mining vessel[/I].

Incidentally, I find it really really pathetic that there's already a novel based on the movie out, meaning that the novel was adapted straight from the script draft, with little real room for the characters the individual actors brought to the screen.[/FONT]

[color=#9933cc]I just saw the movie for the second time today, and I just wanted to say that the aesthetics of it were beautiful. I kind of felt that way the first time I saw it, but on the second viewing, I had more time to appreciate the details.

The CGI work is fantastic. I love the spiraling panning shots that it makes when it zooms out and frames the whole Enterprise in outerspace. And the tiny little ship [spoiler]that Spock pilots[/spoiler] is really really beautiful. In the way that the firefly ship (crossing fandoms now) is supposed to remind you of a firefly, this tiny ship reminds me of a dragonfly or some other beautiful insect (yes, I think dragonflies are pretty).

My mom (whom I saw it with) also said she loved the music. Before she said anything about the actors or the plot she said, "The music was great." I have to agree. There were maybe one or two scenes where the music was too obvious [spoiler]like when Kirk and Sulu are fighting on the drill[/spoiler], but for the most part the music was done well, and intergrated well into the movie ([spoiler]the sound mixing in the beginning when she's giving birth to Kirk and George is fighting off the Romulans - they muted the sound so that just the music is playing with the images. The effect is tremendous[/spoiler]).[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial]More to the point, if it was only so far into the future that Spock was still alive, how the frick was it even that big? The ship had to be bigger than a fusion cube. And it was a [I]mining vessel[/I'].[/FONT][/quote]I was surprised by that when I saw the film, it was so huge that I was expecting it to be something else. o_O So that just didn't make any sense to me.

Other than that, everyone has already touched on the things I enjoyed about the movie. I just hope that any further ones focus a little more on having a much stronger villain/plot vs. reintroducing the original crew. It was okay for this one, but that's it. [/FONT]