OtakuBoards

The Almagest Expedition: Backstage

Shy

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]Guys, lets keep some of the bantering out of the backstage. the only fighting we should be seeing here is between the characters instead of each other, seriously. [QUOTE=Shy][size=1]I don't see where that comes from at all, but maybe I'm missing something. Several players have been quick to hate her since day one.

But yes, the Bavaria rehabilitation process is coming. And soon.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]Harrison doesn't like her, but he doesn't hate her. He just has a very low opinion of her. Remember, he's 17 and still quite young. Plus, he's never gotten to really know her so he doesn't know what she's truly like.

As for the other... It will be done. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I don't see where that comes from at all, but maybe I'm missing something. Several players have been quick to hate her since day one.

But yes, the Bavaria rehabilitation process is coming. And soon.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Personally I've been basing it off her actions and dialogue with Leonhart before his heart-attack. Leonhart tells her she's been spending most of her time at the palace and yes while this could be easily in her capacity as a diplomat does have the unfortunate implication as well she may be spending time with the man she appeared to develop feelings for and a relationship with while her husband was supposed to be dead. Additionally her reaction to Leonhart's new treasure hunt while yes again also easily explained as the reaction of an exasperated wife dealing with an incorrigible husband just lacks any kind of warmth between the two. Finally the way she brought up Jack and the Dynast knowing about the map/treasure sort of made it sound like she might've told them.

Again this is all speculation but that's where I got the idea she's being even more of a pain than usual. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Shy][size=1']I don't see where that comes from at all, but maybe I'm missing something. Several players have been quick to hate her since day one.[/size][/quote]Actually Beth's and I's previous characters didn't hate her at all. Not in the truest sense like some of Leonhart's kids. It was circumstances, Alecia feeling out of sorts (among other things) and they made up before the first installment ended. o_O

Obviously our new characters don't dislike her either. If anything, as outsiders, in that they aren't a part of the drama of either family, they probably see her for what she is, a talented diplomat.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The way I see it, Ivan's view of Lady Bavaria is up in the air at the moment. He's basically a new addition to the Almagest family and is trying to form unbiased opinions of the other members while not getting too swept up in the family drama. He may get a little more comfortable around some of the members and start forming alliances or getting involved with some of the inner workings, but for now he's just watching and judging based on what he sees. I like to think he learned some humility back on the [I]Alania[/I], so he may even be able to pick up something about diplomacy from Lady Bavaria.

Of course, this is all still up in the air. What I do is ultimately going to coincide with how I think Ivan would react and the direction the story is taken.

(Honestly, it's probably a good thing I haven't read the original yet. Helps me think like Ivan a bit more, being so naive. :animesmil)[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace][FONT="Comic Sans MS"'](Honestly, it's probably a good thing I haven't read the original yet. Helps me think like Ivan a bit more, being so naive. :animesmil)[/FONT][/quote]Enjoy being naive while it lasts. :blulaugh: Because later, poor Ivan is going to wish he didn't know what was going on. So many Almagest's are nuttier than all get out.

Also, perhaps someone could clarify this bit for me:[quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][i]Much to the annoyance of her [B][U]former step-mother[/U][/B][/i][/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Did I somehow miss Leonhart and Bavaria getting divorced?

Or is this just Macey engaging in wishful thinking? =P

[I][SIZE="1"]*thinks it's the latter and not the former*[/SIZE][/I]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']
Or is this just Macey engaging in wishful thinking? =P

[I][SIZE="1"]*thinks it's the latter and not the former*[/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Yeah...it's the second one. She doesn't refer to Bavaria mentally or verbally as step mother, and probably just refers to her as 'that damn woman.'[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Regarding Bavaria, I don't think we should be too surprised about the general negative reaction to her. While some of her attitudes are understandable (especially people moving into her house, etc)... it must be pointed out that she's generally been written as a snide, arrogant and somewhat nasty woman.

So perhaps this is our fault, in that we've only ever portrayed her that way. It may be a good idea to try to inject some extra dimension to her character, by way of exploring her motives a bit more.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Regarding Bavaria, I don't think we should be too surprised about the general negative reaction to her. While some of her attitudes are understandable (especially people moving into her house, etc)... it must be pointed out that she's generally been written as a snide, arrogant and somewhat nasty woman.

So perhaps this is our fault, in that we've only ever portrayed her that way. It may be a good idea to try to inject some extra dimension to her character, by way of exploring her motives a bit more.[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Agreed, I'm very much for actually expanding out Bavaria a bit to make her a more rounded character but at the same time if she continues to be such a nasty woman to other characters then such reactions are to be expected. I mean we spent most of the previous RPG writing her as being as rude as possible to the Grimalkins despite their long-standing affiliation with the family (and the particular closeness of the Dame and Leonhart) while then forming a relationship with the Dynast mere days and weeks after this husband was thought dead. Genuinely I think it would be strange if characters didn't dislike her, unless their last name was Deacon of course.[/SIZE]

My opinion on her and the Dynast was simply he was there for her. She had a Father and Brother who was much too busy bickering to really provide her comfort and another entire family who hated her from day one. I was told that sometimes a woman just needs somebody to be there for her and the only person happened to be the Dynast. I think she needs to adopt a child.

[quote name='Malkav']I think she needs to adopt a child.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]She might eat it. A puppy would be less of a moral hazard. Don't make her into Angelina Jolie.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Malkav']She had a Father and Brother who was much too busy bickering to really provide her comfort and another entire family who hated her from day one. [/quote]Rach already covered it in his post, but saying the entire family hated her is a stretch really. Alecia never hated her and they got over the spat they had before the other arch even ended.

Just go back and re-read our posts and you'll see for yourself. I honestly don't know where this idea that everyone hated her is coming from. Macey is just insane really since her intense hatred of the woman doesn't reflect what the rest of the family thinks of Bavaria. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]See that implies that there's no reason Macey hates Bavaria. She's not insane in her hatred, she's also not actively sending Bavaria hate mail, she just passive aggressively makes her annoyed, upset, and feel harassed. Her sister hated Bavaria, Fonty is on the fence, and their mutual sibling is too nice to hate anyone.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]I feel really bad for the child Bavaria would adopt. Or maybe not, I dunno. She has so many aspects of her character that I could see her being a perfect wife/mother to someone who actually cared for her. She loves Leonhart, but it was always a marriage of convenience to him. His hurt feelings regarding what happened during his 'death' probably have more to do with some misguided sense of ownership rather than a romantic attachment. He is not the warmest person if you couldn't tell.

Leonhart loves Dame Anna, only he's too stubborn and proud to admit it. Maybe I'm just a small person but Bavaria's actions towards Dame Anna always made sense to me.

But then again, I wrote it. If it didn't make sense I suspect we'd have another problem to worry about entirely.

Posting shortly with the Anovans.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]If I didn't know any better, I'd say that the Anovan's ship is headed for a really impenetrable structure wherein they will either have to abandon ship, hope they land and the ship absorbs the damage, or become forever one with nature.

Oh you wascally Jack you.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Raiha][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]See that implies that there's no reason Macey hates Bavaria. She's not insane in her hatred, she's also not actively sending Bavaria hate mail, she just passive aggressively makes her annoyed, upset, and feel harassed. Her sister hated Bavaria, Fonty is on the fence, and their mutual sibling is too nice to hate anyone.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]I'm not saying she doesn't have a reason. But we never did fully explore [I]why[/I] some seem to hate her so much. After all she was disliked [I]before[/I] the events at the funeral and follow up with her getting cozy with the Dynast.

Bavaria definitely needs more to her and Indi already started fleshing her out a bit with the concern over Harrison's career, so I'm sure that process will continue as the rp progresses. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Quick question here; does a date exist? What year is it in Anova?[/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]The New Globe goes by the Dynast Calendar. It is 714 YOD (Year of the Dynast) and the original Almagest was set in 709.

Also special thanks to Hinata and Aaryanna for their great posts! I'm really excited to see the various players working to flesh out aspects of the world.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="1"]~snip~[/SIZE] [I]Speaking of which, where the hell does Nathan get off? [SIZE="1"]~snip~[/SIZE] Nathan said something about expecting some confrontation. He was probably putting it mildly.[/I] [SIZE="1"]~snip~[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]There is one minor detail about your post that you might want to fix Ace. My character's name is Harrison, not Nathan. =P [/FONT][/COLOR]

I know I've been saying that I'll post as soon as possible, but spring break and this new week back at school has been a bit more hectic than expected.

If I survive this week, I'll make a post ASAP.
If I don't, it's probably best to assume that the stress drove me to madness and I jumped out my window. :catgirl:

But I seriously have no plan on quitting this! So don't count me out yet!

[size=1]:rolleyes:

What's going on with you Gavin (and Ezekiel, for that matter?)

I have a Fonty/Leonhart post coming up, and the Czenovian crew has my blessing to land safely at Vosper. I imagine they'll stumble across the Hidden Valley as well, since I would prefer they stay away from the Anovans. Just seeing Bavaria try and deal with the cold should be entertaining enough.

My understanding is that Nathan is posting next for the Anovans. If that's not the case I can include Belmonda stuff alongside my Fonty post.

-Shy[/size]

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='Shy][size=1']My understanding is that Nathan is posting next for the Anovans. If that's not the case I can include Belmonda stuff alongside my Fonty post.[/size][/quote]I am and the post in question is halfway written. I had planned on getting it up sooner, but I ended up covering at work for a buddy who's sick. As a result, I ran out of time. If all goes well, I should have that up later tonight. [/FONT]

[quote name='Shy][size=1]the Czenovian crew has my blessing to [U]land safely[/U'] at Vosper. I imagine they'll stumble across the Hidden Valley as well, since I would prefer they stay away from the Anovans. Just seeing Bavaria try and deal with the cold should be entertaining enough.[/size][/quote]I love how you word things.

Just remember guys, we landed safely too. So you know Shy is going to give your party grief as well. =P

At least it's unlikely to be what the Anovans are stuck in... o_O I think that would freak me out, seriously.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]"And then the pilot announces that we'll be "landing shortly." Doesn't that sound like we'll be missing the runway?"

Ah George Carlin, rest in peace you crotchety old jerk...[/FONT][/COLOR]