OtakuBoards

The Otaku Prose Contest

Mykul

[CENTER]Well hello there, and welcome to the
[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]OTAKU PROSE CONTEST[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]

There have been poetry contests, but the anthology has been host to precious few [I]prose[/I] contests (as far as I know, at least). This, in my opinion, is a travesty. There are so many gifted storytellers wandering the cyberstreets of Otaku, it seems a crime not to showcase their talent. But enough of my prattle, let's talk about how this thing is going to happen.

[B][U]RULES/FORMAT:[/U][/B]
- The contest will be set up with a simple tournament bracket.

- Each round will consist of pairs of contestants, facing off in order to advance.

- The challenges set before the contestants will vary from round to round, [I]and[/I] from face-off to face-off. Every challenge will be special and specific.

- Voting will be open to the Otaku public. Whoever receives the most votes wins, thereby advancing to the next round.

- Ties will be settled by a tie-breaker challenge.

- Contestants may not vote on their own matches.

[B][U]THE CHALLENGES...[/U][/B]
will be short and sweet. This is a prose contest, not a novel-writing contest. So worry not, nobody is going to make you write a 2,000 word essay. The challenges will be short, while still leaving infinite room for creativity.

[U][B]TO SIGN UP...[/B][/U]
simply post in this thread and express an interest! Once enough people have signed up, I'll post the tournament bracket, and off we'll go.

Any questions? PM me.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Morph. Seems a shame that you wanna sit this one out, but we shall endure.

As long as more people sign up, that is.

I was hoping that some of the anthology heavyweights would step up. Raiha? I think she totally belongs here...

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I'm going to be sitting this contest out. (I won the last contest hosted in here, and I don't think that's really right. :p)
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Scared of losing this time?

Don't think you're too high and mighty to write with the common folk, allamorph.

This is me calling you out.

(gasping crowd reaction):eek:

[quote name='Mr. Blonde']This is me calling you out.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]And this is me kindly reminding you that I don't take kindly to trolling in my area. (^_^)

Reminds me of a guy I knew who tried to sell drugs to one of his high-school teachers during class.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]
Reminds me of a guy I knew who tried to sell drugs to one of his high-school teachers during class.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yeah 'cause that's exactly the same thing that I did...

I'm not trying to raz you, I'm just saying I would appreciate an opportunity to go head to head with you in this little contest.

This is a challenge.

Accept?

EDIT: Allamorph has made it clear to me he wishes not to accept. Challenge withdrawn.

Too bad...

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]I am the even number ten.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

And so you are.

We now have a number with which we may begin. However, I think we should hold out for a little while longer and see if we can't get up to twelve...or more! Unlikely, I know, but still...

I'll be PMing everyone to make sure that all is well and that everyone is ready.

[FONT="Tahoma"]Oh gosh. I almost missed this. o_O I'm not very good at this stuff, even though I did host a Poetry contest last year. XD But It's fun to play with just the same so if you're still accepting people, I'd like to be a part of it. :catgirl:[/FONT]

You signed up just in time. Now we need to wait for a number twelve, and I think we should be set. Twelve should be plenty. If anyone has a friend that they think would be interested (or [I]should[/I] be interested), now is the time to start lobbying.

[quote name='Anomaly'][FONT="Garamond"]ME!

/dibs

haha I need to be more active & I need to focus on some other writing projects for awhile[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Savior.

Alright everyone, let's do it.

I will assign everyone to random pairs. These will be the first-round matches. They should be up Saturday. Sorry I can't have them up tomorrow...second day of classes.

[FONT=Arial]Good to see this contest start. Once again, I'd like to wish you all the best of luck.

Also, I edited the DeLarge vs Rexikat XVI and pfisland vs Shy threads, since for a moment there Anomaly and Mr. Maul couldn't vote in two contests beside their own. :p

¡Buena suerte![/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Good to see this contest start. Once again, I'd like to wish you all the best of luck.

Also, I edited the DeLarge vs Rexikat XVI and pfisland vs Shy threads, since for a moment there Anomaly and Mr. Maul couldn't vote in two contests beside their own. :p

¡Buena suerte![/FONT][/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks Morph! I knew I was bound to forget something...there was more code in those posts than I have ever done in all my previous posts combined.