OtakuBoards

Disappointing Games

Magus

Wow, it feels like it's been more than a month since I've last made a topic.

Anyway, we've got anticipations (probably should make another one), favorites, top whatever, and worst type of threads. And I was watching X-play earlier and they brought up a good idea for a topic.

What are some of the games that didn't meet your expectations? (Don't really care how far you take it back.) EDIT: [strike]You know those games that have a lot of hype surrounding it, but when you got your hands on them you didn't see what everyone was raving about.[/strike] Games that never wowed you. (Sounds better right?)

By the way. Let's play nice kiddies.

[strike][b]Final Fantasy 7[/b] - I suppose we can start this off with a bang. For it's time I suppose I can see why it was so great. The graphic's, I mean. But with me coming into the series so late, and starting off with Final Fantasy 8 and then jumping to 10 (Never finished. Not even close to the end and dropped it.) and coming back to play 7 could really do things to mess you up. The whole blocky, chibi-lookin characters just didn't sit so well with me. And I've never been one to follow storylines... I'm completely absent-minded (short attention span) when it comes to them. (I'd have to play a game atleast 4-5 times to pick up on the story.)[/strike]

[b]Super Smash Bros series[/b] - I'll admit I had fun playing it on the Nintendo 64 because I was surrounded by the random acting folks I call my brother and sister. (Any game can be made fun if you have people that laugh at what was never meant to be funny.) I've never played the GCN version because I've became sick and tired of Mario. Jump ahead to the SMBB, and well, I just could never click with it. It was decent and I guess I was looking for something dynamic because it looked kinda pretty. I think I was looking for something like Street Fighters.... DO NOT ASK. I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

[b]Soul Calibur 2[/b] - Probably one of the biggest disappointments ever. Fighting with weapons is great and all, and I had fun with the first Soul Calibur, but SC2 just didn't cut it. It's pretty much a rehash of the 1st SC with smoother looking graphics. Kind of a weird thing to say because that can be said about the DoA series. (which I adore) But what keeps me coming back to the DoA series is the [strike]bounce[/strike] environmental fighting. It's not much but it's there. Being able to knock people through, over, and off things makes things more fun to me. Here in the SC series you gotta worry about ringouts. I hate ringouts. (guess you can see where my gripe/suckage comes in at XD) And to think I actually tried to play Soul Calibur 4.... lol

[b]Tekken 5[/b] - Read Soul Calibur 2, but then replace all of the SC's with Tekkens. But then again, if Namco hadn't decided to change up on a few characters moveset I probably would've enjoyed Tekken 5 a lot more. I've never played Tekken 4 so I don't know the change was made beforehand or not. (JIN SUCKS IN T5) If I have to play a Tekken game these days, I'd much rather it be either Tekken 3 or Tekken Tag Tournament. [nit-pick]I understand the one-hit ko's were takin out to make things more even (Paul's punch was just sick), but what was the deal with that boss? [/nit-pick]

[strike][b]Gears of War series[/b] - Err.. I was expecting a lot from the whole stop and pop experience type of shooting, but when I actually got my hands on it, I just didn't care for it. Running for cover was not my thing. I'm a gung-ho type. I like to run in with guns blazin. (I'd be the first to die on a real battlefield lol.) Everything else looked pretty though.[/strike]

I don't think any of these games are necessarily bad (I still think FF7 is actually a good game.) or the worst games ever made, even though I bash on Mario a lot. They just turned out to be a bit disappointing.

[size=1]I think I'm gonna try to think of a topic for the opposite effect.... What's the opposite of disappointing?[/size]

[FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Oh, ouch, you put my videogame pride and joy out in the air like that. [B]Soul Caliber 2[/B] was my first true love:love2:

Well I still respect your opinions, but I would have to give the nod to [B]Soul caliber 3[/B] as the most disappointing one of the series in my opinion, simply because the balance seemed to drop about here, and also they dramatically change a lot of older characters.[B] SC3 [/B]adventure mode was kinda boring and generic.[B] SC4[/B] feels like it's going in the right direction again. The Tower is cool and interesting, and so is how you can customize your characters attributes.[B] SC4[/B] did a lot better in balancing except Yoda is kind of pathetic. Online can be a bit laggy at times though.

I share your same concern with Jin in [B]Tekken 5[/B]. I only wanted to start to learn how to play with him about the time this game came out, and I was very disappointed that he was supposed to be a flagship character to Tekken. For this, Kazuya will remain my favorite. Strait forward, but deadly.

I had fun with Assassin's Creed. It was a little repetitive, and this is all I'm going to say about that game.

Lastly, I'm going to go with[B] Oblivion[/B]. I found that game to be dreadfully boring. The melee didn't feel that engaging to me, and using the magic made me feel like I was shooting little sparks from my hands like a reject Jubilee. I still don't understand how this game was popular[/COLOR][/FONT]

Haha. I've yet to play Soul Calibur 3, but I've heard that it was the same as SC2 and I pretty much bypassed it. Heard that the adventure mode wasn't so great and whatnot.

Anyway, I forgot to mention [b]Star Ocean: Till the End of Time[/b]. Fayt made it hard to enjoy the game, and then the battle system was either too in-depth (is their a such thing?) or too confusing. (One of those two lol) While I didn't think much of it when I first started out. I did notice the confusion when I started gaining abilities. Slightly tapping the X button for one attack and then hold the button for the another attack. Linking attacks together, although, should've been easy, I don't see how tapping and hold the same button would prove to be so. Tales of the Abyss is quite similar, but at the same time it's much simpler as well.

Well I can't say I agree with a couple of your opinions, but I also haven't played a couple of the games mentioned. I do have to disagree with listing [B]Gears of War[/B] as both games. GOW I was a sort've is it or isn't it game. There was hype, but nothing compared to GOW II. That hype in itself made the second one in the series fall short, but as far as shooters go the first was fantastic for its time.

I guess that's the only beef I have with this thread, is you seem to be rating your games on playing them recentally. Of course non of them compare with how they were when they first came out, FF VII for example.

But I suppose that's the whole "Opinion" thing, its lived up to your personal expectations when you played them....

I do have to list [B]Fall out 3[/B] as mine. Being that this game was made by Bethesda and it was supposed to be a mirror image of Oblivion, I expected a near limitless amount of playtime only to be shortchanged. Other than that small piece the game was amazingly done though.

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Well I can't say I agree with a couple of your opinions, but I also haven't played a couple of the games mentioned. I do have to disagree with listing [B]Gears of War[/B] as both games. GOW I was a sort've is it or isn't it game. There was hype, but nothing compared to GOW II. That hype in itself made the second one in the series fall short, but as far as shooters go the first was fantastic for its time.

I guess that's the only beef I have with this thread, is you seem to be rating your games on playing them recentally. Of course non of them compare with how they were when they first came out, FF VII for example.

But I suppose that's the whole "Opinion" thing, its lived up to your personal expectations when you played them....
[/QUOTE]
Ah, now I see where that's coming from. Took a while for all of that to sink in.

I think for Gears I, I may have had too much of a high expectation of the whole stop and pop gameplay (Set myself up on that one) because I thought it looked interesting and thought these FPS needed a bit of a change. Gears II was more or less the same seeing how my brother-in-law practically forced me to play and just dove right into the whole multi-player part of the game instead of letting me go through the campaign and learn anything. Overwhelming, but at the same time I did come to the point to where I just didn't care for stop n' pop.

Fantastic game to watch yes indeed. But I don't think I'd call it a fantastic game in general (Good game from what I've played of it, but definately not fantastic), but as you said, and as I like to say, it's a matter of preference. Then again this is coming from someone who tends to make things more complicated than it should be. I'm one of those type folk who'll say Goldeneye007 for the N64 is the best FPS ever, and Halo is the best FPS for this generation because they're pretty simple to pick up and play. (And yet, I have not even attempted to play a Call of Duty, or a Half-Life, or another one the FPS that gets high recognition.) And I really hate innovation to some degree XD.

If it's your type of game, hey, more power to ya.

As far as me judging these games for recent measures.... Well, yeah. (A lot of the games I've been playing lately, I didn't get them until a year or 2 ago. Dragon Quest 8 is an 2005 release I believe, I didn't get that game until 2007.) FF7, as I said, I was introduced to the series late. (2004-2005 type late) Back in 97-99, I think I was a Street Fighter or fighting game only. RPG's were games I'd never give a second thought about playing because of the whole "turn based" combat, so I highly doubt if I were introduced to the game back when it first came out that my opinion would've been any different. Because if I wasn't going to complain about the graphics, I was certainly going to complain about the battle system.

So of course I'm going to be judging these games from recent experiences. You hear the hype surrounding the games from back then (Although, FF7 is still lingering), wait 1-9 years later (Prices should be down a good notch) and then you judge ^_^.

[COLOR="Blue"]Sorry Magus, I can't really agree with you on your thoughts of disappointing games.
I like those games. Well, I never really got into Smash Brothers.
But I've played games that let me down before.

"JAWS UNLEASHED"
I was pretty excited about this game. "A Jaws game? And I get to be the shark? Cool!" Wow, was I wrong. I was going to get it, and one week before it's launch every website, magazine, and our anime bashing pals at XPLAY were bombing on it.
At first I didn't care, because XPLAY was the first review of it I've seen, and they hate nearly everything I like. But everyone hated it. Good thing I skipped it.

"VEXX"
It was going to be a platformer game with an edge. No it wasn't. I got really bored with it. Was there an edge? Not at all.

"GUNDAM BATTLE ASSAULT"
Boring. Boring, boring, boring.

There's about twenty more.
I wouldn't want to go on and on.[/COLOR]

That's fine. I really don't expect anyone to agree with me. I just hope no one is taking "disappointing" the wrong way. (I don't mean just as in overrated or bad... Although, that's how I made it seem ain't it? ...Damnit.. *EDITS*)

Even though I find FF7 disappointing, I still enjoy playing it. The game itself just never "wow'd" me.

As for the other games I've mentioned, (Except for Star Ocean.. I need the voices turned off or something.) I won't play them, but I'll watch other people play them. =) I get more enjoyment out of watching those games being played instead of playing them myself. Does that make sense?

[SIZE="1"]I'm going to have to throw two recent purchases of mine in here, [B]Star Wars: The Force Unleashed[/B]and Bethesda's [B]Fallout 3[/B] which has already been mentioned.

With the latter as I said in another thread while there's nothing very wrong with Force Unleashed there's nothing particularly right about it either. The camera angle is absolutely dire until you get used to it (and have Action Cam on all the time) and even then it's never going to be your friend. Targeting is equally woeful never assessing enemies by distance from you but some of system which makes Force tossing them a pain in the ***. Scaled enemies means that the troopers you fight at the end of the game are more difficult to defeat than the Force users at the beginning, which makes no sense at all.

On the plus side the story is pretty good, the characters all have decent enough dialogue and voice-actors and the graphics are quite pretty and well done. Customisation is a nice touch allowing you to have Starkiller look as you'd like him to some degree as you play through the game. I suppose what disappointed me most about this game was the hype that had been built up around it turned out to mask a thoroughly average LucasArts game (and really I shouldn't have been surprised.)

Dealing with Fallout 3, my biggest beef with this game is I consider it to be Oblivion-Lite with a post-apocalyptic setting. A lot of what made Oblivion such a great game, the faction quests and different playing styles was cut to give you a pretty straight forward gunishment dealing RPG with the PipBoy making me want to kill the engineer who gives it to you. Again the story is solid and engaging and the visuals are lovely and unlike in Oblivion Bethesda has learned to hire more than 5 voice actors for the entire game.

Disappointment really game because Fallout feels like it was produced before Oblivion rather than after and has very little replayability in a game of it's hype and pedigree.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I guess I should start off by saying that a few months a go I bought the Devil May Cry 5th anniversary collection.

Anyway, I would say that [B]Devil May Cry 2[/B] was pretty disappointing. Ironic since I saw an article about it a few years prior and made me want to play the DMC games. I heard the game was pretty bad, but I'm the type who tries it out first. "How bad can it be?" Boy was I wrong. The voice acting was hits and misses. The plot really made no sense. The gameplay was okay, but I really preferred the gameplay of 1 and 3. What really got me was how they portrayed Dante in it. He rarely talked and when he did, he sounded depressed. Where's the confident Dante from the other games? It surely wasn't in DMC2. Also, I really hated the fact that it had auto-aim from the get go. It would have made it a little better if I had an option to turn it off.

But I did enjoy Lucia's story mode more. And some of the cutscenes were pretty nice. And I liked how you equip "hearts" to your amulet to gain powers.
[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"][B]Resident Evil 4[/B]
You can't strafe, not scary.

[B]The Wii system[/B]
All of it. Every thing, and game about it. A total letdown.

[B]Prince of Persia[/B]
Yeah, that's cool. Guide me by the hand and tell me where to go every step of the way. No thanks, I'll go back to playing the Sands of Time.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][FONT="Verdana"]Hmm, I actually never touched Prince of Persia. Looks kinda like just a rental from what I've heard about it. I know, I know it's the avi/banner I'm using right now, but I really liked the art style. . . so I was a little shallow when making them:animesmil.

Speaking of the Wii, I can't believe my dad said he wants to get one himself. I don't think anyone on OB is going to find that as shocking as I do.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well I have to say I personally like the Wii. Not that there are any games that I would play solo. I haven't tried it, but I was pretty juiced about the lightsaber duels seeing as that is the one thing I figured the Wii would be good for, but I'm not a fan of Star Wars (can't say I dislike it) but the first game like this I want to try needs to be a good old sword fighting game, maybe even a japaneese style with Katanas

I do enjoy the part games though, [B]Wii Sports, Wii Play, Party Games 2, Raving Rabbids[/B]

[B]Raving Rabbids[/B] in particular brought a smile to my face.

Well this is about disapointing games, so even though I already posted some I think I'm going to go ahead and post another so I'm not just arguing the whole post.

[B]Madden: 09[/B] for the Wii. Here I expected the Wii to be a great way to play madden. Stif arms, celebrations, diving, the whole nine yards I was just jacked about. Then after trying it I feel like I was watching Miami's playoff game this year, though with that one I can say there's always next year. I think that the Wii may be a couple years before the sensitivity, controls, and graphics all sync up the way they were meant to be.

• 10 months later...
Alone In The Dark. The worst game Ive ever played. Ive tried all three difficulties and found no problem beating it/ The storyline just takes you for a constant spin throughout the whole damn game. I bought it, played it for 3 days, and pawned it. Definitely not worth the buy unless ya find it for 10 bucks or less..lol

Mass Effect:
Main story was pretty short, especially for an RPG. You'd think the side missions would make up for it, but they don't. It's basically the same thing every time. Drive around a barren lifeless planet with sometimes frustrating terrain for 15-20 minutes collecting things (via simple button-pressing minigames that get boring [I]very[/I] quickly). Go to the base (occasionally bases) and clear out some enemies. Dialog. The end. And if you want 100% completion (and being a completionist, I did) you have to do most of them a minimum of 3 times (maybe 4; I can't remember). IIRC, there are at least 40 of them.

The menus were pretty bad as well. You have to slowly scroll through a bunch of items one at a time to get to something at the bottom of the list. No sorting, no fast scrolling, not even a page up or page down button. Add to the fact that by the end of the game you'll probably be getting useless junk left and right and it's not very enjoyable.

Yeah I hear ya i got right into mass effect when i first played it.. but once i got about half way done it, it just got boring as hell. Nothing to do but the same stuff go explore random planets for items and kill random guys.... With a boss here and there. Very nice graphics but definitely a piss off in the long run. Hopefully the next one will b e a bit better. I like that signature btw of ur gamerscore i need to get that lol. My gamerscores currently 33690 hehe i need the achievements ;)

I've used this game as an example countless times, but [b]Lunar: Dragon Song[/b] for the DS. It's part of the Lunar series of games, but... goshdarnit it was so awful. You lose health if you run (which, although it makes sense, it's really annoying and walking is slow as molasses), you can't even frickin' target enemies which takes out all the strategy from the game, and... gosh, I just stopped caring two hours in. I barely finished the first dungeon, then called it quits.

Another disappointing game was [b]Lufia: The Ruins of Lore[/b] for the GBA. I loved Lufia II and Lufia: The Legend Returns, but this game... I could not get into it at all. It was just a disappointment. It wasn't awful like [b]Lunar: Dragon Song[/b], but... it was meh. I don't care for meh games.

A game I found a letdown was Mortal Kombat VS DC. I thought it had some nifty features, but most of them turned out to be gimmicks. Doesn't help that the combo system is so tight that mashers can take advantage of it. Also, while you can move in 3D, there is no real point.

But I severly disagree with SC2 and Tekken 5 being mentioned. SC2, at its time, was the re-emergence of the Soul Series, which SC1 was a gem. SC2 wasn't more of the same, quite the opposite. The juggle engine was more free and movement was easy. New characters, decent single player and a better engine.

Ah yeah i definitely agree with Mortal Kombat Vs DC. My friend bought the limited edition for like 90 dollars and brought it over. we beat the game got all the characters and storylines in a day... i mean there are some interesting things to it but it was definitely not worth the money...More of a game to rent for a day or two.

[quote name='Korey']But I severly disagree with SC2 and Tekken 5 being mentioned. SC2, at its time, was the re-emergence of the Soul Series, which SC1 was a gem. SC2 wasn't more of the same, quite the opposite. The juggle engine was more free and movement was easy. New characters, decent single player and a better engine.[/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=navy]Yeah, about my choices... They need to be updated lol. But I do still stand by what I said about SC2 (Tekken 5 and Smash Bros as well). Since I'm still fairly tired (just woke up), I'll just say this. If it's not a capcom game, Guilty Gear game, or Virtua Fighter game they won't wow me... (Unless somebody does something on a similar basis to Power Stone) I've pretty much lost interest/my edge in the fighting games to be honest. But that's a story for another day.

Gears of War is off that list as well as Final Fantasy 7. I like Marcus, and just recently FF7 took me be surprise with the amount of customization you can do. (probably basic, but hey I just learned it dangit)

[b]Ninja Gaiden 2[/b] - (O_O) Still a good game, but it's definately a step down from the previous Ninja Gaiden. Some of the things in the game you just have to wonder what was going on in Itagaki and Team Ninja's head when they were creating some of those stages, enemies and tactics. Chapter 9 is the most annoying crap I've ever came across in any game because of this whole "fighting on water". At first it sounded great, but how they executed it is all messed up because of the cheap enemies that you end up fighting. Then there are enemies that attack you off-screen and you can't see where it's coming from. A lot of this stuff didn't even need to be in the game.

Hard to believe this thread is a year old.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Korey']A game I found a letdown was Mortal Kombat VS DC. I thought it had some nifty features, but most of them turned out to be gimmicks. Doesn't help that the combo system is so tight that mashers can take advantage of it. Also, while you can move in 3D, there is no real point.[/quote]

Agreed. Though I didn't expect much from it to be honest. Seems like a pretty cool idea but they kinda tanked on making it worth buying and actually keeping.

Hmmm... Personally I can also agree on not caring for the wii either. It's okay for some stuff but its not really as amazing as people like to think. Suppose the only reason I would get one is to at least try out the Bleach game they got for it. Some of the sports stuff isnt bad though either. Even so if I do ever get one it's gonna be cuz its been reduced to like $70 used.

The Astro Boy game that came out on the ps2... I dunno if there was just one but the husband and I found it and gave it a shot... and immediately got rid of it. The controlls were really stiff and it was just all around stupid in general. A LOT of glitches too.

The Naruto games for the game cube... Oh goody I unlocked Akamaru... All he does is bite bark and hop like an idiot. How wonderful. I breezed through those in like 15 minutes... Pointless.

Hmmm another Naruto related game that I have an issue with is Rise Of A Ninja. I don't really hate the game itself as much as I hate the voice acting in english for it. Pervy Sage does not sound like Pervy Sage... And at Ichiraku they pronounce ramen like ram-men as do a lot of other characters in the game. Its just an annoyance that made me swap it back so I couldnt hear it anymore.

Perfect Dark Zero for the 360. Husband wanted it since he liked the old game on the 64, he played it and I more or less just watched. Watching him play pretty much told me what I figured the end result would be in the first place, trade back in for something better. Controlls, graphics, virtually everything in it was horrible. The story line was something a five year old may as well have wrote. Rather stupid all around. The final boss like battle was really weird too, considering how the game play went up till that part it didnt make much sense as to how you had to go about it or why they even set up the way they chose to.

Hmmm... To be honest Im having trouble thinkin of more simply because the games I've played that I don't like I generally don't remember since I don't like em. Can't really say I expected much from anything I mentioned either. Just more or less random bits of bad games I've run into.

• 1 month later...
Modern Warfare 2 on the PC. First came the announcement that there would be no mod tools or dedicated servers - a terrible blow, but one that I would've been able to forgive for the sake of a vastly improved CoD4.

Then the release came, and I spent my first week invariably getting decked at extreme range by people dual weilding century-old lever action shotguns. Since then, on top of the lag and ridiculous matchmaking problems, its been one horrible balance issue after another.

so this thread is about games that aren't bad... but aren't as good as you hoped they would be?
i love the idea.

um... Dragon Age... I played it(playing) and i cant help thinking how much more i liked bioware's KOTOR 2
the graphics re the same minus cool lightsaber effects and plus copious amounts of blood. as far as characters go, they don't interest me much, and as far as storyline goes i feel robbed. the main reason why you travel the world is to gather an army to fight a dragon... though by the time you get there you killed about a thousand times more bad guys then the entire last battle... and the final fight is most easily won by shooting it with a ballista and chugging a ton of health potions. this whole thing coulda been fixed by one shop owner...

and off of reading the first few posts in this thread Soul caliber four was a total let down. after three, the game that revolutionised character customisation in my opinion, i expected another masterpiece, but i was left with half the stuff the third instalment had, a five stage storyline... and less weapons/fighting styles.