OtakuBoards

[OFFICIAL] The OtakuBoards Nifty Fifty of 2008 - Nominations

Shy

[color=#4B0082][b]Anime Season Threads[/b] ([thread=58478]Winter[/thread], [thread=58930]Spring[/thread], [thread=59254]Summer[/thread], [thread=59626]Fall[/thread])
These threads have been excellent for picking out new anime to watch, seeing what others are interested in, and talking about the shows once they start airing.

[b][thread=58914]Caramelldansen Skin[/thread][/b]
Maybe it's a bit pretentious to nominate something I did myself, but I don't care; the Caramelldansen skin is too awesome. The result of an April Fools prank turned into a crazy idea for a new skin, I banged it out in one furious week of work and am still surprised at how well it ended up being received. It was a lot of fun to make and even more to hear about people enjoying it.

[b][thread=59917]Nathan and Indi's Engagement[/thread][/b]
This joyous bit of news is so nifty that it warranted an exception to the no-all-caps setting.

[b]theOtaku Chat[/b]
It may not be part of OB itself, but a lot of OB regulars hang out there along with others from theO. It's sort of the successor to the crazy AIM chats that used to happen and it's been a great place to talk with people, meet new friends, and even drag some theO people over to OB.

[b][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=8750]Petie[/url][/b]
Besides moderating, he's done an awesome job with various technical tasks around the site as part of the development team. It's great to have someone around who's familiar with PHP, databases, [i]and[/i] the administrative side of vB, and working together with him as been a pleasure.

[b][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=5277]Shinmaru[/url][/b]
Shin's one of my longest standing online friends with whom I love geeking out together over video games, anime, or whatever else. I gotta give him a shout-out for another year of being an all-around awesome guy.

[b]The Utah Crew[/b]
Starting from SunfallE, Mariskah, Aaryanna, and Indi, this little group has gradually expanded with Aaryanna_Mom, Rachmaninoff, Sabrina, and Nathan. All of them are great people and they've contributed a lot to both OB and theO.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Woah, I should probably nominate stuff for this. Dohohohoho

[B]What is it?[/B]

theOtaku.com Chat.

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Not a part of OB, no, but as Des said, many regulars hang out in it, and it's one of the things in life that manages to successfully siphon a bit of my life day after day. It's always a boatload of fun [when n00blets aren't around, anyway], and not only did it drag some theO people over here, it actually got [b]me[/b] back into OB...for more than a two month period! Definitely an accomplishment.

[B]What is it?[/B]

Rach and SunfallE's Love Shack

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Look at everyone else's explanations for it. :P

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Ace

[B]Why are they nifty?[/B]

I'm the butt of the jokes at theO. Whenever he arrives, the jokes all get directed towards him! Yay!

[B]What is it?[/B]

[U][URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59936"]This cake...isn't a lie, unfortunately.[/URL][/U]

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Yeah yeah, it's my own thread...but it was the first thread I posted in the Lounge of any real significance, and the reception is honestly hysterical. [I also think Aaryan Nation Campbell should be a meme...][/SIZE]

[I][SIZE="1"]*facepalms at the love shack nominations*[/SIZE][/I]

Anyway, here's the few things I wanted to add to the list.

[B]What is it?[/B]

Version Vibrant

[B]Why is it nifty? [/B]

Because not only did it revitalize theOtaku with a spiffy new layout and lots of new features that were added once it was launched, but OtakuBoards finally got a nice nifty link on the main page.

[B]What is it?[/B]

theOtaku Chat

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Because both theOtaku and OtakuBoards members hang out there. Not only did you meet lots of people but it resulted in theOtaku members visiting OtakuBoards. Over all the chats are often utterly insane and just great fun for everyone.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Monark & chibi-master

They’re like the newest hyper duo running around the boards posting. Watching them in action is not only fun but inspiring since you wonder just where they get the energy from.

[B]What is it?[/B]

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59917"][U]Nathan & Indi getting engaged[/U][/URL]

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Because not only was the news awesome in its own right, having a thread in all caps was funny. Also, getting to see Allamorph be a Desbreko Fanboy for a week as a result was hilarious.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

TimeChaser

For creating the Watercooler, a world for basically spamming with fun and silly stuff. They've also been a great contributor to various discussions in The Lounge.

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Who is it?[/B]

Vicky

Because of posts she does like this:

[SIZE="1"][B]Drunk Posts/Members/AIM Chats[/B] I know I'm not the only one who's done this!!! >_<;; [/SIZE]

They always make me laugh.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Gavin

Thanks to an offhand remark of his about wishing Desbreko wouldn’t turn OB into a giant Caramelldansen video, Desbreko did just that. This in turn inspired a new Caramelldansen skin so we have him to thank for the every so lovely pink skin. Way to go Gavin!

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Allamorph

Because the goofball thinks he’s not. Pfffft. As if.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Sabre

They run around the boards with those friendly posts that they put up. They’re always nice to see.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Raiha

Who else can you point blank argue with to the point of whacking each other upside the head and yet still be friends with? It’s refreshing to talk with someone who not only dishes it out but can take it back in return.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Sabrina

Just take a look at SunfallE’s post. It’s all true.

[B]What is it?[/B]

The Poetry Contest

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

For how fun it was and the nifty poem Support Raiha Queen of Death. I can’t recall the last time a poem actually made me laugh out loud.

[B]What is it?[/B]

Rach & SunfallE’s Love Shack

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Not only was the title of The Lounge on Valentine's Day changed to [B]Rach & SunfallE’s Love Shack[/B], which was vastly entertaining, but the description: [I]If this forum’s a rockin’ don’t come a knockin[/I] was hysterically funny.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Shinmaru

[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/moebooks"]The Books of Moe[/URL]

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Sangome

For being the spazz queen when it comes to avatar changes, and for the Chatlogs of Doom. Oh and for her reaction to this: HA HA HA!

[B]What is it?[/B]

Site updates

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Additions like the youtube tag or paragraph indent just bring to home how nifty this place is with the updates that just make the experience all the more fun.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Korey

He’s just an overall nice friendly guy. That and he’s my slave.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Boo

If you have to ask… :([/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Indi'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Who is it?[/B]

Vicky

Because of posts she does like this:

[SIZE="1"][B]Drunk Posts/Members/AIM Chats[/B] I know I'm not the only one who's done this!!! >_<;; [/SIZE]

They always make me laugh.

[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]...it's only me who's made drunk posts then, isn't it? ¬_¬[/size]

[quote name='Indi'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][B]Who is it?[/B]

Shinmaru

[URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/moebooks"]The Books of Moe[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well, now I [i]have[/i] to write another part to it, don't I?

I haven't been as active on here as I would like (outside of the Anime Lounge, anyway), but hey, I'll contribute.

[b]What is it?[/b]

Anime [strike]Lounge[/strike] Central

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]

No matter where I go to discuss anime on the Internet, I inevitably come crawling back to Anime Central because it is an easygoing, familiar place, and I can jump right in to just about any discussion. I wish the place were a bit more active now that I am more active with my anime watching, but oh well.

[b]Who is it?[/b]

Desbreko

[b]Why is he nifty?[/b]

Despite infecting OB with [strike]the scourge of the Internet[/strike] Caramelldansen, Des is someone I am proud to call one of my best online friends. His Anime Club on theOtaku.com is one of the highlights of my week (up to your discretion whether that is a sad thing or not), and I have watched a fair amount of shows on his recommendation. On top of that, Des is just a good guy in general and fun to talk with [strike]when he's not coding[/strike].

[b]Who is it?[/b]

Sangome

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]

I've had a lot of fun randomly spazzing with 'Gome about various things in theO's chatroom. She's also had a positive influence on my anime watching -- she got me excited about [b]Mobile Suit Gundam 00[/b] and [b]Code Geass R2[/b], and I watched [b]Tales of the Abyss[/b] and [b]Higurashi no naku Koro ni[/b] on her recommendation. 'Gome is quite nifty, in my book.

[b]Who is it?[/b]

Dagger

[b]Why is she nifty?[/b]

Because her word is the Word of God for me in terms of anime recommendations (don't know if she'd be embarrassed to hear that, haha), and she is my [b]Lost[/b] spazzing partner. Dagger is niftiness to the extreme.

[b]What is it?[/b]

[url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59449][b]New Members: Introduce Yourselves Here![/b][/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]

Yes, it was technically made in 2007, but in 2008 it remained a good place for newbies to let themselves be seen by the wider community. Anything that makes new people more welcome is good.

[b]What is it?[/b]

[url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59011][b]Until Proven Guilty: The Court Records of Ace O'Turney, Ace Attorney[/b][/url]

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]

One of the more amusing OB stories in a long line of them that followed the legendary [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=33457][b]OtakuBoards: Enter the Net[/b][/url]. I've enjoyed reading each chapter, and I hope Ace is able to find the time to continue it soon.

[b]What is it?[/b]

theOtaku.com's chatroom.

[b]Why is it nifty?[/b]

Because it has made me a ton of new friends. :)

(Maybe more nominations to come later.)

[SIZE="1"]P-People are nominating ME? I actually have some significance in people's lives??? *cries* [Seriously. I'm shocked. o_o][/SIZE]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][I][SIZE="1"]*facepalms at the love shack nominations*[/SIZE][/I][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Hush you, you know you enjoy the attention. :D

That being said...[/SIZE]

[quote name='Indi'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]Oh and for her reaction to this: HA HA HA![/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/rifax3.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"][spoiler]stfu i don't care i just proved her point[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]MOAR.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Jade Curtiss

It's not just because I can tease Gome about being attracted to him (Besides, I'd be a total hypocrite if I tried that, considering [strike]Teacher McHawtness[/strike] Raine Sage.) It's not because he's incredibly powerful and it's definitely not because he apparently puts the "romance" back in "necromancer." I had been meaning to try out [B]Tales of the Abyss[/B] for a while, and this snarky jerkface was probably the most endearing character in a cast full of win and likability (Luke, Natalia and Anise being up for debate.) Seeing as how he's basically become a minor meme around here, I think he deserves a spot this year.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Sangome

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

For starting all this Jade Curtiss madness. And the Chatlogs of Doom. And the Library of Memes. And her Fan Challenges. And...

You know what, it would be easier to list the one or two ways in which she [I]isn't[/I] nifty.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Gavin

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

He's such a worthy courtroom opponent that even when I'm writing, he manages to win the case by destroying my hard drive and hiding my iPod, effectively hindering my writing for a while. He's also awesome and fun to discuss crappy manga with.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Shinmaru

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Because Shiggy Lemons the Lord of Moe declares it so.

[B]Who is it?[/B]

Desbreko

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

Because as evidenced [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/worlds/chatlogs/view/69532/the_des_summoning_ritual!/"][COLOR="Blue"]here[/COLOR][/URL], the guy's the life of the party even when he's not there.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][B]I Forgot What You People Look Like[/B] - [I](thread)[/I]

Surviving on the front page of the Lounge for a year and a half, it serves no other purpose than to let members show they are real people. Most of us, anyway. Sure, there's some small degree of back-patting "you're so pretty/handsome/goodlooking" here and there, but mostly it's just people coming in to show off their new style, latest shoot, or fun party pics.[/FONT]

[quote name='Shinmaru']
[URL="http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=59011"][B]Until Proven Guilty: The Court Records of Ace O'Turney, Ace Attorney[/B][/URL]

[B]Why is it nifty?[/B]

One of the more amusing OB stories in a long line of them that followed the legendary [URL="http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=33457"][B]OtakuBoards: Enter the Net[/B][/URL]. I've enjoyed reading each chapter, and I hope Ace is able to find the time to continue it soon.[/quote][COLOR=#503f86]You remember it!! *humps Shin*

I'm happy ^_____^

Although I never did get to write The Non-Motion Picture...
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503f86]You remember it!! *humps Shin*

I'm happy ^_____^

Although I never did get to write The Non-Motion Picture...
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh I don't think any of us could forget Enter the Net Solo, you pretty much defined the standard for OB fanfics with that one. Also seeing as you mentioned it you are duty bound to write The Non-Motion Picture.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'm going to add another one though doing so makes me feel like I'm losing my sanity around here... >_>

[B]What is it?[/B]

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=35704"]The DailyOtaku[/URL]

[B]Why is it nifty? [/B]

It's one of those things that you [I]think[/I] you want to be a part of because it's so unbelievably hilarious and fun to read. And then you just about absoutely[I] die[/I] from mortification or laughter [SIZE="1"](or both)[/SIZE] when you find out that you are. o_O At least the last edition got OtakuBoards a newly brainwashed Convention Center Moderator, aka Gavin. ^^ [/FONT][/COLOR]

Hohoho, how laziness pays off. Almost everything and everyone I immediately thought about nominating has already been nominated, and with great warmth and eloquence. So I'll just chip in with one that hasn't been mentioned yet. [strike]Unless it has, in which case I shall hurry off to commit ritual Internet pseuicide.[/strike]

[b]Seasonal threads[/b]

Apparently I joined OB in '03 (wait, what?!). And I'm not gonna lie, I have a terrible memory, both for online stuff and in real life. So whenever the Nifty Fifty comes around, I tend to find myself drawing a blank at first--as in, "Uh, what exactly happened this past year?" I'm afraid that even the most epic threads and events of yore have long since slipped my mind. But there are some topics that you can pretty much count on to reappear every single year. Halloween. Thanksgiving. Christmas. Valentine's Day. April Fool's. Summer break. And of course the list goes on. It's comforting, and familiar, and somehow it never gets old.

~Dagger~

[size=1][b]Kei[/b]

Bless your heart, dear. You have remained loyal to the site for years, and you are moderator of Manga Alley. It is your numerous contributions to the site over the years that make you deservedly nifty.

[b]6 Fiction- AKA The Short Short Story[/b]

I liked this thread a lot.

[b]Nerdsy[/b]

Nerdsy says in two lines to describe his opinion when another member might write a small essay. He isn?t lazy: he?s [i]efficient[/i]. When you?ve been around the block a few times you?ll know when to hold your paragraphs, too.

[b]Darren May Cry[/b]

Dragon Warrior?s OB parodies have become a site tradition, and Darren May Cry was one of his stronger efforts. Although the names and the faces always seem to change, every year, DW proves that there will always be an audience for potty humor and in-jokes.

[b]The Almagest Legacy[/b]

Never before has a single project taken exhausted so much of my time, creativity and patience. The Almagest Legacy was an enormous undertaking, but despite all of the drama and controversy I feel like we pulled off one of the greatest and most coherent RPGs in the site?s history. This was a true collaboration in every sense of the word, and I?m very grateful to have been a part of it with such talented and dedicated writers.

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE="1"]Just to let everyone know the Nifty Fifty nominations will end officially in [B][U]10 hours[/U][/B] (00:00 GMT) so if you have any late votes to make this is the time to do it.

Adding my last four.

[b]Who Is He ?[/b] Magus

[b]Why Is He Nifty ?[/b] Without him I'd never have anyone to talk Bleach with and it's always fun to discuss crack-pot theories.

[b]Who Is She ?[/b] Sangome

[b]Why Is She Nifty ?[/b] Don't be surprised you're getting votes Sangome, you're a great addition to the Anime Lounge and always have something interesting to add to the discussion.

[b]Who Is He ?[/b] Sandy

[b]Why Is He Nifty ?[/b] While Sandy is no longer a member of Otakuboards I have to give him credit for all the work he did in getting the Almagest Legacy started with Josh. Sure there was some drama but it wouldn't be Sandy if it wasn't, and I for one am sorry to see him gone.

[b]What Is It ?[/b] The Almagest Series

[b]Why Is It Nifty ?[/b] As we're now into the sequel a year after the first one kicked off, I have to agree completely with Josh in this has been the best RPG in Otakuboards history without question. Looking forward to working with you all in the third incarnation. [/SIZE]