OtakuBoards

Post Counts Return, eh?

Mykul

[FONT="Arial"][QUOTE=Dagger]I just think that a lot of the objections here show either a basic misunderstanding of how rep actually functions in a decent community, or else are coming from a "We're better than that" angle, which is kind of irritating.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]Try misunderstanding. I don't visit a lot of forums so I don't really understand how it works. On the surface, it looks like a popularity contest, just saying. [/FONT]

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[font=franklin gothic medium]Dagger is essentially right - I think we are all sort of coming at this with way too my cynicism. Ultimately any kind of positive rep system (i.e. where you [i]can't[/i] make negative votes) would really just be a fun little thing that people can use to acknowledge specific posts.

Having said that, I'm still fairly convinced that we don't need anything like reps.. I think post counts are enough.

But still, Dagger is fundamentally right I think. It's easy to sort of come at it from a slightly elitist and overly-serious angle, but that sort of misunderstands the lighthearted nature of the whole thing.

Anyway, the votes are in and I'm comfortable with that. It's something we won't look at further for now. And I'm pleased that at least we've been able to satisfy both sides of the fence when it comes to post counts. So that worked well. :catgirl:[/font]

[quote name='James'][FONT=franklin gothic medium]Dagger is essentially right - I think we are all sort of coming at this with way too my cynicism. Ultimately any kind of positive rep system (i.e. where you [I]can't[/I] make negative votes) would really just be a fun little thing that people can use to acknowledge specific posts.[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]Just for the record, while rep is given on a post to post basis, it is tallied as a whole for the individual member. Nobody but the person receiving the rep and the person giving it can actually see which specific post it was given for. And Dagger, you are indeed correct - an option exists to hide your rep all together if you so choose.

I don't mean this to change peoples' minds - only to maybe clear up some of the misunderstanding about how this system works.[/COLOR]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium]Dagger is essentially right - I think we are all sort of coming at this with way too [much'] cynicism....[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Ironic that one of the more cynical members, then, is sort of defending it.

Well, I'm not, really, but I [I]am[/I] willing to give it a run.

Like I said before, I think our member base is mature enough to handle the reps system. Given the large amount of people who are descrying the popularity-contest nature, I don't think we have to worry about popularity contests at all.

Plus, you never know 'til afterwards.[/FONT]

[size=1]But the votes are cast, yo.

I frequent other forums with rep systems and they really do boil to a popularity contest. There are a handful of members with a million rep points, while others (wih the same post counts and general activity) are ignored. I don't see a potential for abuse here, but also I just don't see a need for it, either.

Shrug.

-Shy[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Ultimately I think what this boils down to is the idea of rewarding good contributors. So that would be the intention behind it.

Post counts will give you new titles, but that's really not very discriminating in terms of quality contribution.

It may be that we will never "reward" quality contributions outside events like Nifty Fifty (which is apparently dwindling anyway).

One thing I like about theOtaku, for instance, is trophies - although these are admittedly just like post counts, with a slightly different presentation.

Instead of this type of system I think there are other things we can do to allow for a level of reward and/or customization.[/font]

[quote name='Shy][size=1']I don't see a potential for abuse here, but also I just don't see a need for it, either.[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Neither do I . . . which is why if it doesn't work for us it won't be terribly painful to discard.

I think this feature is akin to the double-posting decision in the Anthology. I was initially against it because I didn't see a need for it. But so far as it has been in implementation, it hasn't done any harm and if it did we could easily recant the decision.

Same with the increase in banner width and height even farther back, to which I was also initially opposed for the exact same reason?and with the exact same effect.

After seeing the former rule-change in practice in the months following its implementation, and remembering the latter, I began to feel decidedly blue-haired about my stances. Really, I don't think "it's not necessary" is a good enough reason to discard an idea.

Let it run for a while. If it works, no harm done. If it doesn't, nix it, no harm done.

Neh?[/FONT]

[quote name='Shy][size=1']But we put it up to a member vote, and the vast majority voted 'no' so...[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]You keep repeating this like I'm somehow unaware. :p

Anyway, I already said I didn't care either way. So I'm just going on again, like usual.[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I've seen where the system worked well and where it didn't. So there isn't any thought that we are above it, rather one of thinking we don't need it. I know I'd probably just turn it off if we did use it.

I guess that's because I'd rather look at other things we could add that are fun instead of a reputation system. But that's just me. I did vote no, but if it was tried anyway, I certainly wouldn't object either. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='chibi-master']OKAY, GUYS! If my guess a couple months ago was right, then this, my one thousandth post, should make me a SENIOR MEMBER!!!:catgirl:

EDIT: IT WORKED!!!!!!! :excited:[/QUOTE]

:wow::nervous::worried:

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...But honestly, good on ya, Chibi. And thanks for reminding me that I need to start posting more so's you don't overtake me.[/FONT]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Better than me:

Rep count -92.6% Yeah I made up a number[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

How did you get -92.6%!? I thought OB was a loving place!