OtakuBoards

Oh Em Gee, yo... Old members

Skye

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Sara][size=1']I just expected to see more unfamiliar faces, you know?[/size][/quote]I didn't know what to say since I've only been here a little over a year. ^^ So since I'm pretty new here (at least compared to those who have been here for five plus years) I didn't bother to comment. [/FONT]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'][size=1]I actually think this place has changed a ton. I don't know about you guys, but it doesn't feel the same to me, and I'm one of the oldest members here amongst a few of you.[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Agreeing oldie is agreeing[/color][/size]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'][size=1]I actually think this place has changed a ton. I don't know about you guys, but it doesn't feel the same to me, and I'm one of the oldest members here amongst a few of you.[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"][FONT="Verdana"]
This is true. Then again, that's coming from an infrequenter... yes, I made that word up. But just about everything has changed since my time here at OB. But it is good to see that it's still thriving (in some sense of the word) and providing OB goodness to newer generations. (Wow, the way that sounded makes it seem like we've been here for decades, lol. Just meant it as newer waves of people coming in. :D)[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Meh I suppose I'd have to agree to a degree with my fellow oldies on how OB has changed over the last few years since you were all active, maybe it's just that I've been here continuously all that time that I've not noticed it as a huge change as much as incremental changes that I've just become used to or didn't notice at all. I think every version of OB has had a certain feel to it and it's only natural that that feel would change over time with different members.

I wouldn't say any one version is distinctly better than another, we all have tinted glasses on when thinking of our own favourite time on OB that make it seem better than any other. Sure it has to be said the quality of the site has improved drastically over the eight years I've been here but that is not in and of itself enough to make it better now necessarily than before. Each era had its own quirks and great moments and if (probably) I'm here in eight years time again we'll have had another dozen of these discussions.

Sara does have a point though, I would be fairly certain our member population has dropped fairly substantially over the last few years, or rather we're just not getting enough new members to replace those who're (heh heh Al) no longer around. Perhaps it's the way TheO has become much more member oriented with the World and chat function instead of just an anime information site that's been cutting down on new sign-ups but certainly I'd like to see a flood of new blood into the forums to liven things up a little. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Sara does have a point though, I would be fairly certain our member population has dropped fairly substantially over the last few years, or rather we're just not getting enough new members to replace those who're (heh heh Al) no longer around. Perhaps it's the way TheO has become much more member oriented with the World and chat function instead of just an anime information site that's been cutting down on new sign-ups but certainly I'd like to see a flood of new blood into the forums to liven things up a little. [/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]I also think that the average age has gone up considerably, so the people who are around have more offline responsibility, and less free time to devote to a message board.

I also agree that as theOtaku has morphed from "information" to "community," there has been less need for people to connect using OtakuBoards. (Why register at a completely separate site for social interaction when the first one meets your needs just fine?)

There are some places where the two sites overlap, and some things that theOtaku does much better (the art community there is huge, while the Art Studio has less than a dozen threads that have been active in the last month), but OtakuBoards definitely has its strong points. The RPG forum (whatever it's called now) is an excellent feature of OB that would be difficult to approximate on theOtaku (I don't know if it's been done). There's also something very pleasant about having a centralised forum (i. e., the Lounge) for general discussion--such discussion could definitely take place on any number of Worlds, but would be fragmented, as well as largely be limited to people who already know each other. (I am assuming here that most casual discussion would take place on a personal World, and tend to be participated in only by people who have mutual friends.) The Lounge (in theory) allows people with no previous contact to have discussions on any number of topics.

Basically, there is some overlap (that should probably stay--regardless of theOtaku's success with fanart, it would be a great loss to the OB to get rid of the Art Studio here), but many aspects of the two sites are still complementary.

Is there some way to orchestrate a member drive? theO doesn't seem to have a front page anymore, so I'm not sure where the message would go, but it would be neat to have a week where there was a push on theO to encourage OB sign ups. Maybe with an accompanying "welcome" event on the OB?

There would definitely need to be a period of adjustment during/after any large influx of new members, but really, new blood can only help any social site.

Anyway. I don't know if it's been done before or not, but I think it would be neat.[/size]

[quote name='Sara][size=1']Is there some way to orchestrate a member drive? theO doesn't seem to have a front page anymore, so I'm not sure where the message would go, but it would be neat to have a week where there was a push on theO to encourage OB sign ups. Maybe with an accompanying "welcome" event on the OB?[/size][/quote]The front page of theO is here: [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/"][U]theOtaku[/U][/URL] And the nice thing about it is OtakuBoards has it's own link now. Whether or not that has helped bring in new members, that I don't know.

[quote name='Athena'][size=1][color=indigo]Yikes, a person could choke on all the power-tripping that goes on around the OB these days. Give people an inch...or a "mod rod".[/size][/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
Power-tripping?

Ok, you keep thinking that....;)[/FONT]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]Hookers? Psh. How about we just lure them with the [B]Bikini Bandits[/B]?

Oh and as far as how many years, I have been here approximately 7 years- give or take a few months. And there have been a plethora of awesome-ness during those years.

But back to my first and foremost statement: Bring on the Bikini Bandits.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Revelation'][size=1][color=#8B008B]
But back to my first and foremost statement: Bring on the Bikini Bandits.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=indigo]Dibs. Trust me, my brain is working...maybe in a few months, or later this year. That's if I'm around.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Lunox'][FONT=trebuchet ms] Ok. I'll go get my cat ears and purple wig.[/FONT][/quote][IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6590/wizardrobe.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4333/wizardhatn.jpg[/IMG]

Ready when you are.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial][I]*power-trips you*[/I]

[I]*trips*[/I]

Yay pratfalls. :animestun[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[CENTER][IMG]http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/omfgonfire/slowpoke.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Unrelated note: I guess I'm too young to say that I really didn't notice/care that the boards has "changed"?

You old codgers.[/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']The front page of theO is here: [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/"][U]theOtaku[/U][/URL] And the nice thing about it is OtakuBoards has it's own link now. Whether or not that has helped bring in new members, that I don't know.[/QUOTE][size=1]I guess I meant "front page" in a different sense. That feels more like a "behind the scenes" view than my usual idea of a front page. I'm trying to think of a way to explain what I meant, and failing at the moment.[/size]

[quote name='Korey'][CENTER][IMG]http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/omfgonfire/slowpoke.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Unrelated note: I guess I'm too young to say that I really didn't notice/care that the boards has "changed"?

You old codgers.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Haha, ooohhh, Korey :] That is only because you're too wise beyond your years.[/size]

[quote name='Korey'][CENTER][IMG]http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp84/omfgonfire/slowpoke.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

You old codgers.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[size=1]=D Ahm an ooooooooooooldie to yooooooooooooou. *does happy dance*

After a long hiatus, I thought there WERE tons of new folks. So nyeh.[/size]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][quote name='Dragon Warrior'][size=1]Haha, ooohhh, Korey :] That is only because you're too wise beyond your years.[/size][/QUOTE]

Ha, such knowledge impedes me sometimes. I've actually been on the boards for a bit, but I'm not so popular as to be considered an "oldie", heh.

[quote name=' Stephanie']Ahm an ooooooooooooldie to yooooooooooooou. *does happy dance*[/quote]

Yup, so old in fact, I'm going to your high school graduation. Wait...

[/FONT]