OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

[quote name='Grouchy Cat' timestamp='1309456936' post='708221']
Eh, 'scuse me but there are over 90 million German native speakers [size=1]yay so many like me![/size] (apparently only 'standard' too, so they didn't count Switzerland and some other places) in comparison to about 70 million French natives so I must disagree on that.
Though I must say, French is a hell of a lot easier than German so it might still be the better choice if one's not willing to study uber hard for it.
[/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]
Well I was factoring in those in Africa who would speak French as one of their first languages too, according to Wiki there's about 120 million French vs 118 million German so really there's not that much of a gap. Probably would've preferred to learn German instead in school but we had no fluent speakers to teach us, it would at least give me some recourse for constantly being mistaken for German abroad.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Grouchy Cat' timestamp='1309469040' post='708224']
Wait wait, IRISH people are being mistaken as Germans? You can't be serious. By whom?
[/quote]
If I remember Gavin's description of the experience, it went something like:

*Cashier or someone starts speaking to Gavin in German*

Gavin: Oh, I'm sorry. I don't speak German.

Cashier/whatever: I've never heard of a German that can't speak German.

Gavin: *facepalm*

Was that even Gavin? Hmmm... Maybe it was Korey? I dunno. I just remember the conversation.

[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]It's amazing what pregnancy can do to teenage girls.
[b]Before pregnancy[/b] -> skinny and very pretty.
[b]After pregnancy[/b] -> fat and not so pretty. Their faces look all swollen after being pregnant.
._.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Elle Jay' timestamp='1309529323' post='708231']
[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]It's amazing what pregnancy can do to teenage girls.
[b]Before pregnancy[/b] -> skinny and very pretty.
[b]After pregnancy[/b] -> fat and not so pretty. Their faces look all swollen after being pregnant.
._.[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

Because we all know it's impossible to be fat and pretty.

[quote name='Ducky' timestamp='1309531483' post='708232']
[/quote]
No, but it's very possible to be fat and unpretty. Just as it is very possible to be skinny and unpretty, except that if someone's first very pretty and skinny, the contrast will put a great emphasis on their newly acquired fatness and unprettiness.

[quote name='Ducky' timestamp='1309531483' post='708232']
[/quote]
[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]I think you took the wrong message from what I was saying. I know many above average people that are beautiful; look way better than me.[/font][/size][/color] Edited by Elle Jay

I am not sure why people have such a big problem with generalizing. It is smart not to do it often, but certain things like teen pregnancies having negative effects on ones appearance is probably correct most of the time. People treat generalizing like an error when really it is the recognition of a pattern. So long as the person doesn't judge some based only on the actions of others I don't see what the big deal is.

I am always maddened when I get paired up with kids playing online games. I don't care if they suck at the game (which they usually do) and I don't care how annoying their voices can me ( I have heard enough squeaky, screechy kids to last a lifetime) but what really bothers me is how almost all of them are trash talkers. It doesn't even matter if they are winning or not, as soon as they get a singe friggen point they have to show unsportsmanlike conduct. I know it is a maturity thing, (I wish they would wait until they are old enough to buy the game before they play it with me) but I was never like that as a kid... so I don't have a clue where it comes from.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Honestly, that could go for [i]anyone[/i] that gets pregnant, not just teenagers. But it's a good thing to have weight during pregnancy, obviously, as it keeps the baby [and mom] healthy.

I am by no means condoning teen pregnancy [I am not, and shows like 16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom make me rage], but yeah.[/font][/color]

[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]I.. I.. I.. ._.
I'm scared of this city now. I was at Taco Bell and there were two cars, one guy was out of his car, and he was doing the "I'm gonna shoot you" symbol to the guy in the other car. ._. And then another guy came out from the same car and did the same thing. I couldn't see the faces of the guy in the car... but I was getting really scared. I couldn't hear them either since I had the radio on and was driving away (and besides, I didn't stare, either, because they might've noticed ._.). But then the guy who was sitting in the car started following me for two miles... ;A; I was seriously about to cry..

sdiuvhhdfoiv. blatrhg. I wonder if this city has more gangs than my old town.. probably.. bskfih. But at least I live in a great neighborhood, unlike the one I used to live in back in Southern Illinois.

and I noticed something... ;A; When I was getting my food, I looked at the guy who was out of the car first (he wasn't making any hand symbols, but he was talking), and he stared back at me. ;A;

AUYFDSUXHV!! I am [i]so[/i] glad that they didn't have actual guns...[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Elle Jay' timestamp='1309569006' post='708239']
[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]I.. I.. I.. ._.
I'm scared of this city now. I was at Taco Bell and there were two cars, one guy was out of his car, and he was doing the "I'm gonna shoot you" symbol to the guy in the other car. ._. And then another guy came out from the same car and did the same thing. I couldn't see the faces of the guy in the car... but I was getting really scared. I couldn't hear them either since I had the radio on and was driving away (and besides, I didn't stare, either, because they might've noticed ._.). But then the guy who was sitting in the car started following me for two miles... ;A; I was seriously about to cry..
[/font][/size][/color]
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]That sounds terrible - I'm glad you are OK. The worst part about this type of thing is that even if nothing happens, it makes you a little bit more nervous about going to certain places in your own city. And that's pretty horrible for anyone.

In terms of safety in the streets, most places here are not too bad. But like anywhere, there are the specific places that you'd probably rather not go, just in case.

Although I did have one really weird incident that reminds me a lot of your experience.

I'd gone to Brisbane with my mum (it's about a 2.5 hour flight from here, so we were on holiday a little far from home). We were on the train going from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, which takes maybe an hour or so. And as we're sitting there, these two dodgy-looking guys were ahead of us and they kept looking back. At first I took no notice.

But then, one of them wandered down to us and sat in the seat right opposite us, across the aisle. He just kept staring. And his friend kept looking back at him, then at us. It was really weird and it started to feel very uncomfortable.

Eventually my mum just quietly said "Why are these guys staring at us like that?"

We had a lot of shopping bags and stuff, so for a moment I really wondered if they were going to try to mug us or something. There were only a couple of other people on that carriage, too.

I just told my mum to ignore them. I figured that we would be getting off at a pretty big city station where lots of people are around, so I didn't want to get off early at a quieter place and allow them to follow us.

Eventually - after what felt like a long time - they both got off the train just near the city.

The whole thing was really bizarre. Nothing [i]actually[/i] happened, but it's one of the very few times where I've actually felt that I might be in danger.

I think that I still won't have any problem getting that train again in future, but I do wonder how I'll feel next time - whether I'll be a little more nervous about it or something.[/font]

I lived in the back alley of San Francisco, so I have been mugged, stolen from, and jumped. I don't have the same experiences here in southern California, though my roommate was mugged just a block away from where we live. So long as you don't die, these things give you street smarts. I have never had any of these things happen to me twice, mostly because by being aware you can intimidate people, or even confront them. I don't know for sure, but maybe the reason they didn't mug you James was because you could see that they were being suspicious.

I have had a few instances where I have avoided potential threats around this area. Back when I was in highschool, I didn't drive and my guardians sure weren't gonna pick me up, so I walked to and from school. Eventually I made freinds that also walked home, but before that I was walking a mile and a half everyday alone. One incident I remember was a group of four Mexican guys walking ahead of me kept turning there head around to look at me, and then talking to eachother in Spanish. I picked up on gringo so I figured they were talking about me. I just simply walked really really ridiculously slow. They slowed down a little at first, but then just started walking normally again.

On a much scarier incident, me and my two Asian anime/video game club friends and I were petitioned for money by a group of around nine guys, most wearing the same black sweatshirts. (a gang color of the Center Street Locos) They asked for a dollar, but I know that is a tactic for seeing if people have any real money on them. On that occasion I just lied and said I didn't have any money, neither did any of my friends. I put on quite the performance, even when they threatened to check me... but I guess I am a convincing liar. In that situation I knew that if I did pull out my wallet it would have been gone though... so I really didn't have much of a choice.

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]"Near-death experiences" or "Times you seriously thought you were gonna die" sounds like a great thread idea, honestly. I'll get on that here shortly. >_>[/font][/color]

[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]Iâ??m sure a lot of people have those moments. :V They definitely are not fun. *shivers*

this world is so freaking scary. ;A; I can't believe how horrible it has gotten. (and I can kind of relate to the train thing, but nothing really happened, I was just very, very paranoid. Probably the most paranoid person you would've seen.)

and that's one thing I'm not looking forward to about living in a big city like Chicago. And I just looked up the crime rate of my city. ._. More than 3/4 of the city have high crime rates. :|

I just got back from Barnes and Noble (again) and I really wish I had a $1000 gift card for that place. Yesterday, I spent $35 on two art books, and $45 on German learning stuff today. :I I still donâ??t understand how I still have money left after how much I spent in one month. AND THESE JETS FROM THE AIR SHOW ARE ANNOYING. ._. ZRRROOOOOMMMMM, nonstop, all day. Why did they have to fly all weekend right by where I live. D: But one of the jets did draw a smiley face in the skyâ?¦ They sound like they are so close. D: SO FREAKING ANNOYING

have a smiley face
[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg53/lyndy05/DSC00343.jpg[/img][/font][/size][/color] Edited by Elle Jay

[color="#008080"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]So today I actually went to the Air Show and it was pretty freaking awesome. Got to see a fighter pilot do some tricks and stuff; it was SO freaking loud. And then there were two planes doing tricks together, and sometimes it looked like they were going to hit each other. o_o But we didn't get to see the part where four jets perform together or see the jet-powered truck. But I could see the smoke that was coming from it. And why the HELL were the porta-potties right in front of the plane strip where we couldn't see anything on there? *shakes head*

And why won't the lacrimal caruncle of my right eye stop twitching? It has been twitching for the past few days now. ._.[/font][/size][/color] Edited by Elle Jay

I finally got internet for my room in Las Vegas.
I am about 200$ in the hole so far so I doubt I will be on much (I gotta run from the Mob)
I am hoping I win the tournament I am entering... but I doubt it. I really enjoy playing with my family though... so I guess it is all worth it. Edited by CaNz

[quote name='CaNz' timestamp='1309985673' post='708272']
I finally got internet for my room in Las Vegas.
[/quote]

so that's where you disappeared to :P

anyway, i've had [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYwAWZlzGRM"]this[/url] part from swan princess keep playing over and over in my head, kind of annoying really. Edited by Midget Ninja

[quote name='Grouchy Cat' timestamp='1310028319' post='708283']
Playin' it safe, huh CaNz? :p
[/quote]
Well, I with the amount of money I lost in poker, I need to!
I just finished a tournament in 10th (right before the final table) due to my pocket aces being flushed out by pocket 7s.... I even flopped an ace.
Basically I am doing really bad, but I am having fun with my family.