OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

In my many travels, I might finally get the chance to live out a childhood dream and visit Japan in the fall. I found tickets as cheap as 1000 dollars round trip for October, November time frame. I have a friend who is an English teacher there and he knows all the best spots to go to. I might get to do a little sightseeing too :)

[FONT=Calibri]Did not drink enough water yesterday. Side was stitching up during the run today. New minimum: at least two full canteens, which is about 80 fl oz. And this here Gatorade, which was apparently NOT on sale but was the one I wanted anyway, dagnabbit. Shut up and take my money. =P

0815 is not my favorite time for PT. Much rather be doing it at O'Dark Early, so I can eat breakfast at a decent time afterwards.[/FONT]

I'm going to Vegas come July. It'll be my first time going. I'll be there for a week (3rd thru 9th). For the most part I'm there for this fighting game tournament (EVO) that'll take place from the 6th-8th, but the 3rd-5th I'm there sight seeing and whatnot. So far I've been told that I'll need some good walking shoes and a bottle of water... (Then again, I've experienced Arizonia so I think I can handle Vegas in terms of temps) Anyway, anyone ever been there? Any MUST "go to" spots? Should I beware of anything?

Boo, your avatar is too, nvm. Who is she? :wub:

"Respect you elders" sounds good on paper, but it's getting on my nerves. If I treat someone nicely and they treat me like crap, then I don't care how old they are, they are not getting my respect. Respect is earned and being older than me doesn't give someone a free pass to be rude.

[FONT=Calibri]I hear this a lot, and I feel it worth pointing out that those are not the same kinds of respect.

"Respect your elders" refers to what is known as [url='http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deference?s=t']deference[/url]. You are expected to defer to their decisions based on their age and (supposed) greater depth of experience because, hey, you might not yet have seen all the crud they've seen, and they just might have an insight or two that your youth hasn't allowed you to gain yet. This is given regardless of whether the person is a total dirtbag or notâ??and it's also why people often get bent out of shape over seniority-related issues.

It's like saying "I respect your opinion" even when you are convinced the opinion is worthless.

"Respect is earned (and not given)" refers to actual measurement of the quality of a person's character, and more closely resembles [url='http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/honor?s=t']honor[/url] or [url='http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/esteem?s=t']esteem[/url] (the noun versions). It ties directly to the idea that actions speak louder than words; when you see someone acting in a way that you approve of or look up to, you begin to respect them in this capacity.

So, same word, two totally different concepts. And that leads to the two phrases suffering what we call here a "fusion of knowledge". Remember: just because you need to do the one (more for your own benefit than theirs) doesn't mean you automatically do the other.[/FONT]

And expectations are based on ideas you may not share, such as that you should treat elders different for their age, so basically you can say "lol **** this. From now on the only respect I deal is Al's second option". Edited by Boo

[quote name='Magus' timestamp='1336308920' post='711683']
I'm going to Vegas come July. It'll be my first time going. I'll be there for a week (3rd thru 9th). For the most part I'm there for this fighting game tournament (EVO) that'll take place from the 6th-8th, but the 3rd-5th I'm there sight seeing and whatnot. So far I've been told that I'll need some good walking shoes and a bottle of water... (Then again, I've experienced Arizonia so I think I can handle Vegas in terms of temps) Anyway, anyone ever been there? Any MUST "go to" spots? Should I beware of anything?

[/quote]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Definitely hit up all the shops at the Caesar. You can admire all the high fashion stuff and it's really fun to see all of the architecture of the hotel. I'd also recommend seeing the fountain show at the Bellagio at night. It'll all lit up and choreographed to music and stuff. New York, New York has a rollercoaster on top of it. So if you're into that kind of thing, check that out.

As far as travel tips:

-There are Walgreens and CVS on the strip. Don't spend money getting stuff from the newsstands/convenience stores in the hotels. Get all your snacks/drinks/ stuff for your room there.
-Don't walk on the strip if your destination is far. There are buses that are reasonably priced and you can get to wherever you need to go without walking on the hot Vegas streets. Avoid cabs too. Those are hella expensive. Only cabs you should take are to and from the airport. Even then if you can find a shuttle, do that instead.
-Always have cash on you. Some things in Vegas are done by cash only (which is stupid).[/font]

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Tournament stuff:

-please please please bring deodorant. You're gonna be in a ballroom with literally thousands of people in close quarters.I can't say the same for other people, but I didn't like it very much when I sat down next to the guy and had to play while his pits were giving me teary eyes. You're not in the tournament, but it's still a big deal to be hygenic
- If you want to be able to do something, get there early. Seating for any of the exhibitions, panels...etc fills up really quickly. I got a really good seat on finals day (basically upfront) and I was there when the doors opened.
- Bring money to buy some of the merchandise there. There's TONS of t-shirts, key-chains and maybe some SWAG for you to get. So don't walk away without a souvenir from EVO.
- Check out the Bring Your Own Console area. There's tons of older games being played (some of them aren't so old, but they have no scene for them so they get relegated there). And everyone there is very nice and receptive when it comes to people asking to play their games. So don't be afraid to just jump in and have a good time.
-Stay well hyrdated. There's free water at EVO, but it goes quick and gets destroyed quick. So bring some water/soda/ snacks with you in a backpack and have stuff to munch on at the venue until you want like lunch or something.

[b]**KEEP TRACK OF ALL YOUR PERSONAL ITEMS**[/b]- I can't stress this enough. As much as I'd want to believe that people won't be grimy and steal from other people, it happens every year at EVO. Someone loses a stick, their wallet, their iPhone etc etc. Keep your stick with you at all times. If you lend it to someone, make sure that you know where they are and try to stay in the area so you can get it back. I never lent out my stick to anyone, because of that very reason. If you're in an area full of people that's crowded, try putting your wallet in your front pocket. It's harder to pick-pocket that way. Keep your backpack or bag locked if you can help it. And just keep on top of all your things. If it's left out, it WILL get stolen.

Other than that, have fun. Take lots of pics and share them! :)[/font]

Thanks for the input T.O.P., I think they had planned to be at a bigger venue or they didn't plan to have so many people appearing, but now it costs (already paid. I don't mind paying $10 to witness this event).

Now I'm just trying to figure out what hotel to stay at. Caesar's really pricy, especially if I plan to stay a week. Hell, even for 4 days it comes out to $1000+

[font=times new roman, times, serif]Well, school ends this week and I got an invite to a party at The Cosmopolitan, this should be interesting... I've only been there once.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]Hopefully it'll be better than the party we had at the Luxor, the whole Eygpt thing got old quickly.Caesar's, I get dragged to the Forums every weekend; I could go on about the rest of the strip but eh.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]That's basically what the strip turns into after living here for quite sometime. Just eh.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]Although I think City Centre might have the whole hip thing lying underneath the shiny exterior, I mean the Vdara turns into a [url="http://www.lvrj.com/news/vdara-visitor---death-ray--scorched-hair-103777559.html"]giant magnifying glass of death[/url] every summer, that doesn't scream [b][i]hippie [/i][/b]but it just whispers it.[/font]

[font=times new roman, times, serif]Just one more test and I'm done. Then the partying can begin.[/font]

Haven't slept well in a couple days since I found a bed bug on Friday. I freaked out, washed and heated most of my possessions, then called the local pest company. They brought in dogs to try and sniff out more, but they couldn't find anything. They searched every corner and under every piece of furniture but still nothing.
But now I can't sleep. I keep waking up every half hour or so and turning on my lamp in hopes of finding and killing any suckers that escaped the search.

[quote name='otakuuu' timestamp='1336970953' post='711743']
For Boo - I hope you read this! Here is your pony..hehehe! c:
[img]http://i50.tinypic.com/20fdb4j.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

All commission work from otakuuu. It's glorious.

[quote name='Stephanie' timestamp='1337324905' post='711801']
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick...

I go away, always expecting this to have died.

Three years, boys and girls. Three years this thread has been alive.

On a different note: anyone miss me?
[/quote]
Steph! :O *tackles*