OtakuBoards

'Noob' could be the millionth English word

Gavin

[quote name='chibi-master']The erosion of the English language has left me in despair... *curls into a fetal position in corner and bawls*[/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Says person with the word "huggles" in their signature.[/color][/size]

[quote name='John']Dear most of you,

1) Recognizing a word officially doesn't mean it will suddenly gain common usage among highly-regarded literary works now and in the future. No sensible person ever defends their word usage with the phrase "it's in the dictionary". People use what words they want, and giving one the recognition of being a "real word" means nothing.

2) If you haven't noticed, English is already pretty messed up. For the most part, that's what gives it character and makes it endearing.

3) Language isn't sacred. People should use whatever words they want however they want to get their meaning across. If anything "corrupts" a language, it's resisting new developments as they come, which are natural and culturally beneficial.

You're welcome,
John[/QUOTE][size=1]I feel like this needs to be in the thread again in order to balance things out a bit.

Seriously, English is a (sometimes ugly, piecemeal, and patchwork, but nevertheless) wonderful language. It is infinitely adaptable, and absorbs (and leaves behind) new words at an exciting rate.

The fact that a computer-illiterate person could look up "noob" in a dictionary to see what it means? Somehow, that doesn't cause me great concern.[/size]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Yeah, that just takes the fun out of the thread doesn't it? Though I'm sure he got a good laugh out of our expectations. =P[/QUOTE]

[size=1]I feel loved that my post wasn't completely overlooked. =][/size]

[quote name='Sara'][size=1]The fact that a computer-illiterate person could look up "noob" in a dictionary to see what it means? Somehow, that doesn't cause me great concern.[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
Personally I'm just waiting to use it in Scrabble against my technophobic relatives.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='John']"I don't care [I]what[/I] it's about, we need to have an image accompanying every article. It doesn't matter what, just put something in there. Don't give me that look. Now go back to your desk and do it."[/QUOTE]

[size=1]I thought the exact same thing :] I'm more amused by that image than the actual article itself. I mean, after all, the word "ain't" was accepted, so why can't "noob"? Next up will probably be something along the lines of "Wasssup?"[/size]

[quote name='PiroMunkie'][size=1]I'm half-tempted to post the video of the guys head exploding from Scanners just to appease some of you, but that might be a bit graphic even though it's not real, lol.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You mean this ?

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="What We Were Waiting For"]HY-03vYYAjA[/YOUTUBE]
[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[quote name='chibi-master']Don't you make me bring up the self-termination-die-as-a-virgin incident, Mr. Smarty Pants.:smirk:[/QUOTE]

Touche, you conniving she-devil.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]If they are going to pull through with it, they should at least use zeroes for O's.[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]I second this notion.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Lrb'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]
Strictly speaking video games, a noob or "newbie" is someone that's either new to the game or is so bad that they seem like they are new to the game. A player that is [i]actually[/i] new to the game can still be a noob, but if they aren't stupid (because noob really is meant to be an insult) they're just a lowbie (low level newbie).[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]It's always been shown that being a newb is perfectly acceptable, however, being a noob (or n00b) is highly unacceptable. Newb, being short for newbie, as you've stated, and n00b being someone who plays like a newbie. Not trying to argue or anything, that's just the context that I've always seen it given in and how I've seen it come across.

I already use the word regularly in my group of friends, so it wouldn't make too much difference if it was added or not. It's not like we don't already have an array of miscellaneous other words that aren't actually [I]words[/I]. Mostly gained from flubbed versions of insults and random movies you've probably never seen, let alone heard of.

Now I feel like a nerd. Thank you.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'm not sure if I even care that they might choose that word. o_O Watching the people I know who got their degree in English is amusing though. Some of them see it as a simple sign of how our language is changing, where others think it sucks. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Webster is rolling in his grave.[/FONT][/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]

If it were up to Webster, we'd all be spelling 'feather' as 'fether' now. I think he'll adapt. He was all about economical spelling usage. :p[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior'][size=1]I thought the exact same thing :] I'm more amused by that image than the actual article itself. I mean, after all, the word "ain't" was accepted, so why can't "noob"? Next up will probably be something along the lines of "Wasssup?"[/size][/QUOTE][FONT="times new roman"][SIZE="2"][center]That really got me thinking about some amazing words that could be put in there...such as "PWN", "GILF", "ROFLCOPTER", "OMG", "BIATCH", "NIFTY FIFTY" and of course, "PUMPKINESS" which would read, most awesome person in the universe.

I shall die happy then. [/center][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='PiroMunkie'][size=1]Perhaps, in the extreme long-run, we're just meant to go back to a system of grunts.

Brevity is the soul of wit. :P[/size][/QUOTE]

Text Talk = NewSpeak...

Orwell is spinning furiously in his grave.

But 'noob' really isn't a text talk term, it's just slang for 'newbie' which is slang for new person or player. [/color][/size]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Well there won't be any heads exploding now since it's not n00b.

[URL="http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE55913M20090610"][U]Web 2.0 crowned one millionth English word[/U][/URL]

Oh well, perhaps another time? :p[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You mean n00b got pwned ? Yes, lame joke but I still felt it had to be made. ;)[/SIZE]

[quote name='John']"I don't care [I]what[/I] it's about, we need to have an image accompanying every article. It doesn't matter what, just put something in there. Don't give me that look. Now go back to your desk and do it."[/QUOTE]

lawl <- Maybe that'll get added in there too! lol not only did they have to pick a web slang term, they had to put in some little kid's rendition of the word. =p