OtakuBoards

Things you were wrong about.

Sara

[quote name='Kikyouchanx']Thought Root Beer came from roots of a plant. xD [/QUOTE][size=1]Well, [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras#Culinary_uses]it [b]used to[/b]. [wikipedia link][/url]

The more you know!
☆≈≈≈≈≈[/size]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sakurasuka'][font="arial"][size="1"]

There was a Disney movie, I currently can't remember which, where the evil villianess pulls off her false eyelashes. I always thought that if I tugged on the ends of my realy eyelashes that they would come off in one continuous line.

[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Medusa, from The Rescuers.

I thought that there was a crocodile living under my bed when I was little. I propped a long wooden board against my bed and used it as a ramp to climb into it every night to avoid being eaten.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Due to my mother kicking me out of the bathroom to get some 'privacy' I thought that another word for tampons was 'privacy' until around the puberty age.

I used to believe that hippos were gentle peaceful creatures who loved me and wanted to be friends. This might be due to the fact that I used to have a little stuffed pink hippo plushie that contained a little music box that played the 'You are my sunshine' song.

I once pronounced 'hors d'oeuvres' as 'hour devours.'[/FONT][/COLOR]

In 6th Grade, during an Advanced Studies test, too see if I should be in it, I was asked what the word "Fragrance" meant, and I replied by saying "Just the surroundings."

Needless to say, I scored high in everything....other than common sense(general knowledge, what I call information, not knowledge), and for that I didn't get to do Advanced Studies. That was horrible.

I also was a very strong follower of what I now consider the worst cognitive bias. The "Just World Bias," which pretty much says that anything that happens does so for a good reason because the world is right. It's called a bias, because such is false. Of course, being a kid you're likely to see through filtered eyes, but I still look back on that with a frown.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]When I was a kid I used to think women had to wear pads because they would continue to wet themselves even as adults.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]See, as a female kid (who did not have problems with incontinence), I knew this was not true. And I thought the commercials were awesome (strange blue fluid! Unusually absorbent materials! It was like a science experiment! Or magic!). . . but I could not for the life of me figure out what they were actually for.[/size]

[quote name='Sara'][SIZE=1]See, as a female kid (who did not have problems with incontinence), I knew this was not true. And I thought the commercials were awesome ([B]strange blue fluid! Unusually absorbent materials! It was like a science experiment! Or magic![/B]). . . but I could not for the life of me figure out what they were actually for.[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I think that was the major culprit in my misunderstanding as well. Granted in hindsight it's infinitely preferable to the real thing but still damn confusing to a male child who has no idea of the function of sanitary pads.

[/SIZE]

[quote name='HopscotchEyelid']In 6th Grade, during an Advanced Studies test, too see if I should be in it, I was asked what the word "Fragrance" meant, and I replied by saying "Just the surroundings."[/QUOTE][size=1]I remember smugly telling one of my older cousins that I was petrified. She asked me if I knew what it meant and I told her it was when you felt sweaty and tired. I dont even know how I jumped to that conclusion..[/size]

[quote name='Sara'][size=1]See, as a female kid (who did not have problems with incontinence), I knew this was not true. And I thought the commercials were awesome (strange blue fluid! Unusually absorbent materials! It was like a science experiment! Or magic!). . . but I could not for the life of me figure out what they were actually for.[/size][/QUOTE]

It took me forever to figure out what those giant boxy things in the women's restrooms were selling. And to understand what "feminine hygeine products" were and why it was such a bad idea to flush them instead of placing them in a little box on the side of the stall that I assumed was for candy wrappers and whatnot.

[quote name='chibi-master']It took me forever to figure out what those giant boxy things in the women's restrooms were selling. And to understand what "feminine hygeine products" were and why it was such a bad idea to flush them instead of placing them in a little box on the side of the stall that I assumed was for candy wrappers and whatnot.[/QUOTE][size=1]I remember being sad once when my mom told me I couldn't get anything from a bathroom vending machine. In my mind, vending machines=special treats, haha.

Of course, some bathroom vending machines do supply some interesting stuff. There's one at the mall near me that dispenses pads, tampons, condoms, and little mini flavored lipglosses.[/size]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]I used to think that cooking eggs in a frying pan meant you were doing drugs.

That's not a joke.[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]For some reason, and I can't figure out why, this reminds me of how desperately I wanted to be as cool as Kid Vid from the [i][url=http://progressiveboink.com/archive/bkkidsclub.html]Burger King Kids' Club. (link)[/url][/i][/size]

[quote name='Sara'][size=1]For some reason, and I can't figure out why, this reminds me of how desperately I wanted to be as cool as Kid Vid from the [i][url=http://progressiveboink.com/archive/bkkidsclub.html]Burger King Kids' Club. (link)[/url][/i][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Oh holy crap I haven't thought about them for years.

It should be obvious I was more of an I./Q. fan, though I recall having a strange fascination for the horribly named Wheels.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]Oh holy crap I haven't thought about them for years.

It should be obvious I was more of an I./Q. fan, though I recall having a strange fascination for the horribly named Wheels.[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]Whoa. Check this out:

[center][url=http://progressiveboink.com/archive/bkkidsclub.html]
[img]http://progressiveboink.com/mike/img/bkkidsclub/iq.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3201/825966-izzy_super.jpg][img]http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/3201/825966-izzy_super.jpg[/img][/url] [/center]

I think there was something [i]else[/i] Izzy's parents weren't telling him...[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='taperson'][SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I used to think it was possible to swing over the bar & become an inside-out girl.

[youtube="Inside Out Boy"]xfmOaKLmSXw[/youtube][/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

Nickelodeon was very strange when we were kids. Think of Cat/Dog, Ren and Stimpy, and Stick Stickly (I can still remember the address jingle from that).

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]I think that was the major culprit in my misunderstanding as well. Granted in hindsight it's infinitely preferable to the real thing but still damn confusing to a male child who has no idea of the function of sanitary pads.

[/SIZE][/quote]

Come to think of it, they do use that same blue liquid for diaper commercials too.

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]When I was young I used to think women were too pure to go #2.

When I was young used to think we were all immortal and didn't die, then when I found out we die I cried for hours.

A few years ago I told myself I'd always be straight... things can change awfully fast.

When I was young I thought cartoons were real things, I don't know why but I did.[/FONT]

[quote name='Nomurah!'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="hotPink"]Apparently [B]Jason Earls[/B] from the hit show Hannah Montannah, [I]is[/I] in fact not a teenager.

...he's like 30. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]I'm not familiar with this person, so I looked him up to see how on earth a person could mistake a thirty-year old for a teenager (or the other way around).

There are [url=http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ei=TmIBS7bkG8KylAetutC2Cw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=jason+earles&spell=1&start=0][b]some pictures[/b] (link)[/url] where I can kind of see it, and some where I'm convinced he's twelve.

It cracks me up that there's [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Earles#Birth_date_controversy][b]controversy[/b] (link)[/url] about it.[/font]

[quote name='Nomurah!'][SIZE=1][COLOR=hotPink]Apparently [B]Jason Earls[/B] from the hit show Hannah Montannah, [I]is[/I] in fact not a teenager.

...he's like 30. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Holy crap. I'd never seen the show but my God he really doesn't look 32. O_o

Must be annoying as hell for him to have to have ID on him at all times to prove he's actually over 18.[/SIZE]