OtakuBoards

Comfort Anime

pax et agape

Times are stressful for a lot of people these days, me included but sometimes we can find comfort in odd places.

I remember not too long ago I went into work one morning only to be inform that I had been let go. Angry and stressed out I walked back home but picked up my mail along the way. That day I had received a volume of Lucky Star from Netflix so I popped it in once I got home. By the time that hour and 40 minutes were over my mood had greatly improved and things seemed not so bad. It became my comfort anime.

So I ask you, do you have a comfort anime?

[IMG]http://media-wallpapers.theotaku.com/caption-706620-20090925234510.jpg[/IMG]

picture from [URL="http://www.theotaku.com/wallpapers/view/186698/play_together"]Blue Latte on theOtaku[/URL]

[size=1][color=navy]Unfortunately, I've yet to find that comforting anime (probably because of my lack of taste and pickiness) when I'm dealing with stress. The closest thing to comforting was [b]Moribito[/b] because of its serene look. I'd like to continue watching this since it became a top favorite after seeing the first 5 episodes, but since the time slot changed on adult swim I haven't been able to watch it anymore.

Now when it comes to anger... [b]Black Lagoon[/b] seems to calm me down quite a bit. As evil and demented as it sound, the level of violence and agression in this does wonders for my anger. [b]Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal[/b] is another that I'd say does the trick for me as well. [b]Death Note[/b] does a little bit as well. "coughs"[/size][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][SIZE=1][COLOR=navy]Unfortunately, I've yet to find that comforting anime (probably because of my lack of taste and pickiness) when I'm dealing with stress. The closest thing to comforting was [B]Moribito[/B] because of its serene look. I'd like to continue watching this since it became a top favorite after seeing the first 5 episodes, but since the time slot changed on adult swim I haven't been able to watch it anymore.

Now when it comes to anger... [B]Black Lagoon[/B] seems to calm me down quite a bit. As evil and demented as it sound, the level of violence and agression in this does wonders for my anger. [B]Samurai X - Trust and Betrayal[/B] is another that I'd say does the trick for me as well. [B]Death Note[/B] does a little bit as well. "coughs"[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

Those would have a lot of cathartic potential.

While I don't exactly have a comfort anime, I've found that watching Millennium Actress tends to raise my spirits randomly. I've watched it several times with different people, so it's probably my memories of watching with good friends and/or my sister that perk me up, as much as the film itself that make me consider this as a comforting anime to settle down with. Nothing else really comes to the surface for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]Have to admit [B]Lucky Star[/B] is a good anime to brighten your mood, watched the entire series after a bad break-up a couple of weeks back and it really helped to make me laugh.

Of course if you want boundless courage, hot-bloodedness and kicking reason to the curb in the name of going beyond the impossible then you can't go wrong with [B]Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann[/B]. Rule of Cool, Crowning Music of Awesome, multiple Crowning Moments of Awesome, quite frankly it's the best damn anime series I've ever seen.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]Have to admit [B]Lucky Star[/B] is a good anime to brighten your mood, watched the entire series after a bad break-up a couple of weeks back and it really helped to make me laugh.[/SIZE][/quote]

I've come to realize that slice-of-life comedies in general have that relaxing effect on me. Even live-action films like "Linda Linda Linda" and "The Taste of Tea" help to relax me.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1]Have to admit [B]Lucky Star[/B'] is a good anime to brighten your mood, watched the entire series after a bad break-up a couple of weeks back and it really helped to make me laugh.[/SIZE][/quote]Agreed, it's just mindless silly fun that makes you laugh. Another one that's fun to watch for similar reasons is [B]Fruits Basket[/B]. It has it's serious moments but for the most part it's full of feel good stuff along with goofy moments.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]Completely agreed about Lucky Star; I had the strongest, strangest urge around this time last year to marathon the series [after previously watching the first two episodes and hating it], and I wound up loving it to pieces. It's just one of those feel-good anime that makes you laugh sometimes! I needed something happy after playing the last stretch of TotA, which is notoriously depressing, and it did the trick. The OVA was pretty good too.

Also, the Ghost in the Shell TV series. I dunno what it is, but it seems good to wind down with, and it makes you think. That, and the music is [I]spectacular[/I] [though, with the amazing Yoko Kanno at the helm, that's not too surprising], and adds to it, especially "Psychedelic Soul" and [I]Living Inside the Shell[/I].[/SIZE][/FONT]

I find comfort in any Anime I enjoy, which is most of the ones that I see on TV, as well as many more I've found through internet forums and things like magazines. I think the real question here is regarding a "Healing" Anime, which the are a few of for me. One is Death Note, because it is not intense in the battle sense, but rather is a fun to watch story that is very consistant. Another one would be Code Geass, I guess just because the art gives it a "Royal" vibe, it's very sophisticated. Rurouni Kenshin is a great one for healing as well, because it's setting, vocabulary, and deep storyline. I also enjoy watching Case Closed or Cowboy Bebop when I'm feeling down, they both have very good vibes, and neither of them are completely action-oriented. It's safe to say that Shonen Anime are my choice when I'm already feeling good, but the more artsy type Anime are great when I need a quick relief. Anime is a perfect Anti-Drug if you need one, though I've never needed nor wnated drugs, so that's only a theoretical opinion.

[color=#4B0082]I don't think anything can beat Lucky Star for this kind of thing, but [b]Ichigo Mashimaro[/b] comes close. The whole show is exceedingly cute, exudes a soft-and-fluffy aura, and has a ton of great gags.

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned [b]Aria[/b] yet. It's basically the definitive calm and soothing anime. I don't know of anything better for pure relaxation.

Another couple good series for this are [b]Hidamari Sketch[/b] and [b]Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~[/b]. I especially recommend Hidamari Sketch to anyone who likes Lucky Star.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][b]Ichigo Mashimaro[/b][/color][/QUOTE]

... pfffffffffffffft. You would, Des. You would.

Anyway, on to the real post now.
I gotta say, I can't exactly pick out a specific anime that comforts me more than others. Really, most of the anime I watch does that already. If it's able to draw me in in any way, then I'm happy. Helps me wind down and get my mind off other things.

[I was gonna go on about .hack, but that's nothing new from me now is it?]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Another one I find fun to watch when I'm feeling down is [B]Lovely Complex[/B]. It's a romantic comedy but it's just too fun at times. I've watched it twice and I'm thinking of watching it again, even though I'm not feeling down. XD[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I usually pop anime in right before I crash out for the night so this is exactly the kinda stuff I'm watching right before I doze off. I definitely have some of the suggestions listed here (like Doki Doki School Hours, Ichigo Marshmaro, etc.) but my all time fav is Ping Pong Club. This is a series people either love or hate but I absolutely love it. It's kinda a mix of Revenge of the Nerds, Beavis and Butthead, and South Park all in one Anime.

I would also recommend City Hunter, Genshiken, Midori Days, Lupin the 3rd, Tentai Senshi Sun Red, and Ninja Nonsense. If you're okay w/ more fan service than I would recommend Girls High and Golden Boy. All titles have a nice dose of comedy and always make me laugh no matter how many times I've watched them.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

More than comfort. Inspiration to live. Inspiration to achieve. Inspiration to reach for greatness. I've gone through a few rough patches in the past couple years, but no matter how bad I'm feeling the first few episodes of Lagann give me courage and hope like no other piece of media or art ever has. It's really something special.

• 4 weeks later...
Hopefully this thread isn't totally dead but I recently discovered a new comfort anime. I recently have been watching [URL="http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Sketchbook"]Sketchbook: Full Colors over on Crunchyroll[/URL] and it has been extremely relaxing for me.

[IMG]http://53rg10.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/sketchbook_sorahazukikateaso.jpg[/IMG]

I love it.

Comfort anime for me has to roll along the lines of [B]FLCL[/B], [B]Trigun[/B], or [B]Yu Yu Hakusho[/B]. All of these animes cast a feel good vibe on my mind. The all have comedy, action, that character you cant wait to see, and an interesting plot( no matter how deceptively short the whole show is.)

I was glad to see FLCL on Adult swim this past weekend. It made me feel great. I was having trouble sleeping and after I watched FLCL and had a great laugh, I felt like it all just went away. Slept like a baby too.

• 1 month later...