OtakuBoards

Comfort Anime

pax et agape

Comfort? I LIKE a lot of series such as Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, and FMA. But for comfort?

I would usually say Maison Ikkoku, but I'm watching it now and the antics of the three tenants are getting a LITTLE old.

Other than that, Inu Yasha, Card Captor Sakura, the entire Miyazaki catalogue---basically anything that won't give me nightmares.

Looks like some good suggestions in this thread.

• 1 year later...
Okay, this isn't comforting in the cozy sense of the word; it's rather more cathartic than anything else: [i]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/i]. When I first watched this, things in my life were really changing. I have no doubts that personal events in my life greatly influenced not only how I felt about his one, but also how I completely [i]experienced[/i] it as something basically fundamental. Without dropping an essay here, I can't explain it any more clearly, so I'll leave it at that. Nevertheless, NGE is the complete cathartic experience, reaching its peak with "The End of Evangelion". It's probably one of the greatest releases of primal, repressed humanity ever thrown into the world.

Lately, I've been watching some [i]Gunbuster[/i], perhaps trying to prepare myself when I watch NGE once again, but goodness, I'm really not prepared to watch "End of Eva" right now, haha. I'll have to, though, to really get the most out of the series.

• 2 weeks later...
[b]I only have a few comfort anime, which usually fall into slice of life also. I seperate mine out into three categories though.[/b]

[u][b]Relaxing Comfort:[/b][/u]
This is just any anime that I find relaxing in general. [b]Niea_7 (Niea Under 7)[/b] is a big one for me. It falls under the laughter comfort too, but there's something relaxing about it even though it involves aliens. [b]Haibane Renmei[/b], even though it has a lot of drama is another relaxing one. Lastly, [b]Kino's Journey[/b] is an ultimate comfort for me. Despite the plot and drama, at times there's just a really relaxing atmosphere from the art and the scenery in the travels.

I could probably put the last two into a fourth, Catharsis Comfort category, but that whole category would be filled with too many examples. XD

[u][b]Laughter Comfort:[/b][/u]
[b]Azumanga Daioh[/b] definitely gets the top spot for this one. This is the only comedy anime so far that I can watch again and again and still laugh. Same with [b]Sayonara Zetsubou Sense[/b]i, depending on the episodes. [b]Niea_7[/b] fits into this category too for certain episodes.

[u][b]'Get up and go' Comfort:[/b][/u]

The only one I've seen so far that fits this category is [b]Welcome to the N.H.K.[/b] I won't spoil anything, but at times I would watch it and think 'wait, I should be able to easily go out and do something if I just try. I don't even have that many problems weighing me down.'

[b]Well, that's everything that isn't Lucky Star. ^^[/b] Edited by Lilt

Actually, to be more faithful to the thread (which my first reply kind of wasn't) I'd have to say [i]The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[/i]. This might be the perfect summer anime. Since it's getting nice and warm again, I have no doubt that I'll watch a few of these episodes again. To me, this fits the season perfectly, and it really puts me in a good mood, even if it's just a tad colored by wistful overtones. Heck, I don't think summer would be complete without that sense of longing, while remembering the joy. [i]Haruhi Suzumiya[/i] does this well.

• 3 weeks later...
Yu-Gi-Oh DM always xD The addition to this comfort is that I can actually enjoy the dub despite the many pitfalls in it as well as the sonic x anime. Lucky star is pretty fun though too xD

[quote name='Lilt' timestamp='1305391483' post='707350'][u][b]'Get up and go' Comfort:[/b][/u]

The only one I've seen so far that fits this category is [b]Welcome to the N.H.K.[/b] I won't spoil anything, but at times I would watch it and think 'wait, I should be able to easily go out and do something if I just try. I don't even have that many problems weighing me down.'

[b]Well, that's everything that isn't Lucky Star. ^^[/b]
[/quote]

I love welcome to the NHKk :D wouldn't say its comforting but I was watching it over recently for a pururin cosplay xD Edited by fujyoshi