OtakuBoards

Let's do this the old-fashioned way.

Sara

[quote name='Trigun 11'][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]

You have to admit, more youth are using digital books (via Kindle, iTouch/Phone, online) during these times. It's irritating, but it's life.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]Really? I haven't talked to anyone who prefers to read long passages in anything but hard copy.

At my university it was not uncommon for people to print off their own copies of online reading materials. [/font]

[quote name='Sara][font=trebuchet ms']Really? I haven't talked to anyone who prefers to read long passages in anything but hard copy.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]I was talking to a friend of mine about this just last week. He believes (and I concur) that books will never die out because not only is it easier for people who write to read stuff in segments like that (there are no bottoms of pages on the internet), but there's a big sensory stimulation from just the touch of the book itself, and sometimes from the smell.

I have never known a scent quite so wonderful as the smell of an old book.

Besides, laptops are inconvenient to curl up with. =P[/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']I read books. Not online magazines and stuff, but books. Books that are 7 inches thick. I actually still have the 5 inch thick bedtime story books I read when I was 3.[/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]Books will never be old-fashioned.

I wrote out a short story by hand recently and that kind of sucked, but it was old fashioned. I light my cigars or pipe with matches sometimes if my lighters are out of fluid. Also, homemade salsa? Good ****.[/color]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]I do everything the old-fashioned way...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[center][IMG]http://www.fi.edu/learn/sci-tech/bicycle-tech/images/w11.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads/2009/10/shaveheader.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Man_chopping_wood_-_greyscale.svg/552px-Man_chopping_wood_-_greyscale.svg.png[/IMG]
[IMG]http://aam.govst.edu/projects/jshileny/images/loc_images/communication%20pictures/telegraphoperator2_lg.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/bungled-personal-flight-attempt-1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://chestofbooks.com/reference/Wonder-Book-Of-Knowledge/images/The-Abacus.jpg[/IMG]
[/center]

[hr=darkgray]100[/hr]

[quote name='Knucle's Girl']I still use my old VHS player[/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]VHS for life.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='DeathKnight][COLOR=crimson']I light my cigars or pipe with matches sometimes if my lighters are out of fluid.[/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Cigars and pipes should ALWAYS be lit with matches.

Always.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson']I wrote out a short story by hand recently and that kind of sucked, but it was old fashioned.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]Most anything that I write and am taking seriously is handwritten. It just feels better to me.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]Most anything that I write and am taking seriously is handwritten. It just feels better to me.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I concur! At least with handwritten stories, they can't be lost because of a virus or if a laptop decides to be bitchy and not turn on. I type up school assignments. Shows you just how much I care about those.

I can sew by hand without pricking myself every two stitches. This means I can fix my own clothes instead of throwing them out every time a string pulls loose like SOME PEOPLE I KNOW.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]Most anything that I write and am taking seriously is handwritten. It just feels better to me.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] I feel like I could never do this, just because the way I write I'd be constantly crossing things out and half the paper would probably just be scribbles.

However at work study I sometimes have to use a typewriter to copy things, and I love that so much. Punching the letters and hearing them imprint is really satisfying.[/font]

[size=1]Enter electronic paper:

[IMG]http://www.kennislink.nl/upload/258527_962_1228486326532-117582_962_1094468331593-polymervision.jpg[/IMG]

With that out of the way: I don't do thing the old-fashioned way. I do things the way things should be done.
[/size]

[quote name='Lunox][font=trebuchet ms'] I feel like I could never do this, just because the way I write I'd be constantly crossing things out and half the paper would probably just be scribbles.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]That's how it usually ends up for me. Which is why after I finish I transcribe to the computer; gives me time to actually implement the edits I made, and forces me to go back through as if I didn't know what was on the page.

Also your banner is borked.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]That's how it usually ends up for me. Which is why after I finish I transcribe to the computer; gives me time to actually implement the edits I made, and forces me to go back through as if I didn't know what was on the page.

Also your banner is borked.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet] Lol when I first loaded the thread I was like "who posted a giant picture, goddamit"

That's an interesting approach to handwriting, though. I might try it now.[/font]

[FONT=Calibri]I should probably explain a bit more then, because really that's an added bonus (I feel) to doing it that way.

The reason I write on paper is because that's how I grew up doing it. And then again I can take paper with me without having to worry about what to carry it in or startup time or battery life or hard drive failure or all sorts of stuff. I can also see an entire sheet of paper at once, and flip between pages really quickly if I feel like it, and it just generally feels more accessible and more free than straight typing does for composition/editing.

Heck, when I do final edits for things I've got in a computer, I print it off and attack it with a red pen. :animesmil It's just easier to manage, I find, when I can see it right there, I can touch it, move it around, stuff like that.

Also there's something very invigorating about scratching out two-thirds of an entire section of a page when you realise how badly it sucks.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]...Does walking everywhere count? Though that's kind of out of necessity, since I have no car or license, and everything on campus and downtown is within perfectly reasonable walking distance of my residence hall... Plus, exercise = good (supposedly *shot*).

I still rake leaves by hand, I use an actual broom when I sweep, and I use a push (...okay, not quite, since it's motorized, I just have to steer and walk behind it) lawn mower instead of a riding one...

If they weren't banned in the residence halls for being a fire hazard, I'd probably light candles every once in a while in my dorm... Candlelight isn't fun to read by, but it's a lot cozier than the dorm fluorescents or my desk lamp.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][COLOR=DimGray]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Cigars and pipes should ALWAYS be lit with matches.

Always.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]I'd disagree, but to each their own. I've never had an impact on taste with butane torch lighters or soft lighters on my tobacco. Bic lighters are a terrible way to ruin a good cigar or bowl of pipe and it's depressing to watch people light up their stogie like that. :(

Also, it's not to say that I dislike matches as there's kind of a nice touch to sitting in a humidor lighting your cigar with a match that's hard to replicate with a lighter.

Alla: I write mainly on computer for the same reasons - I feel the editing and composition of the paper is easier on a computer with the tools given.

Poems, however, I usually do strictly by hand first for some reason.[/color]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="hotPink"]My best friend and I like to m-[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="8"]LEEEERRROYYYY JEEEENKKIINNNSSSSS[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]....to make WoW references.

maybe it's not technically super old fashioned, but I mean... people don't just go around making the references like they used to. WoW is still a big deal to us. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Probably 90% of the food we have at my house is not pre-prepared. Buying things ready to heat and serve is too expensive for our monthly food budget. Not that I mind, my mom's a great cook. I've learned at lot from her so I'm not too bad at it either. [/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I still write letters via snail mail to my two grandmothers, who love traditional mail and hearing from their favorite [prettiest, smartest, most elegant] grand-daughter.

I still knit scarves and potholders occasionally.

I make strip quilts when the mood strikes me and I have a month off from school.

I scrub my own hard surface floors on my hands and knees. Enjoy that thought for a moment, you're allowed.

I cook meals from scratch as well as cookies, cobblers, and biscuits with lard. Yes. Lard. There's simply no replacement.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Writing up assignments I prefer to use the computer, but for some reason whenever I'm working on a score I prefer to write that out by hand instead of using the software I have for it. I end up later transferring it to the computer but I still prefer to do the initial work on paper. [/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff'][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Writing up assignments I prefer to use the computer, but for some reason whenever I'm working on a score I prefer to write that out by hand instead of using the software I have for it. I end up later transferring it to the computer but I still prefer to do the initial work on paper. [/FONT][/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]Writing on paper is good for working out the kinks in a lot of things, I think. I do a lot of circling paragraphs and moving them around and adding/deleting stuff on paper. It's useful to have everything laid out before I start to type, because then I can do the fine-tuning as I go.

By contrast, works that start on the computer are frequently more choppy. It's easy to move stuff around, but it seems to take much more effort to get the transitions to feel right, since there's no set point at which I retype the whole thing.[/font]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][QUOTE=Sara][font=trebuchet ms]Writing on paper is good for working out the kinks in a lot of things, I think. I do a lot of circling paragraphs and moving them around and adding/deleting stuff on paper. It's useful to have everything laid out before I start to type, because then I can do the fine-tuning as I go.

By contrast, works that start on the computer are frequently more choppy. It's easy to move stuff around, but it seems to take much more effort to get the transitions to feel right, since there's no set point at which I retype the whole thing.[/font][/QUOTE]I don't get that same feeling from regular writing, only from composing. I don't write anything on paper other than to say take notes in a class. Or simple little notes when I go to the store or things of that nature.

I suppose it's because when I write music, I can hear it in my mind as I work. Though I'm not sure why that seems to flow better if I write it out. I just know that it does. When it comes to papers or essays, I actually find attempting to write them by hand, painfully irritating. I do all of those on the computer and then print them out.[/FONT]

[quote name='Mr. Maul']

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Man_chopping_wood_-_greyscale.svg/552px-Man_chopping_wood_-_greyscale.svg.png[/IMG][/quote] Huh, I didn't know that's how they used to play golf. Something new every day, I guess.