OtakuBoards

Death Note TV

Dagger

[quote name='Syk3']Anyone else wondering about the lack of a preview after the credits?[/quote]

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, but I searched like three different videos but couldn't find anything after the ending tune. :/ Too bad, but hopefully Episode 14 will come out this week so it wouldn't matter...

Oh, and Syk3, I don't know if you misunderstood me, but I was actually saying that the episode moved the plot forward, too. I was just expressing that if it hadn't done that, things would've gone stale quickly. ;D

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dagger]They took out the best line of all: in the manga, when they watch [spoiler']Misa walk up the stairs to Light's room, Sayu mutters under her breath that she can see her panties.[/spoiler][/quote]
[SIZE=1]
[COLOR=DarkRed]I know it :(, that was my favorite part.xD Anyway's, I really liked episode 13 because I had really been anticipating [spoiler]the meeting between Light and Misa.[/spoiler] But what really got me this episode was [spoiler]Light's devilish smile at the end.[/spoiler]:p And I was really disappointed about there not being a episode 14 preview. Oh well, guess i'll just have to wait. :animesigh [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I wonder if we'll get the new OP in episode 14? There's definitely one coming soon, and apparently it's going to be [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smvamE4QHc][u]this baby[/u][/url] (<-- that's the music video, which has quite a few winking Death Note references in it already). It's "Zetsubou Billy" by a band called Maximum the Hormone, who are--according to their [url=http://www.55mth.com/main.html][u]site[/u][/url]--performing with groups like Jimmy Eat World, NOFX, Newfound Glory and the Dropkick Murphys this spring.

But as for the song itself... not my bag at all. Less generic screaming plz. Well, at least it's obvious that Misa would be a fan of this group. You know what would redeem it for me? If they kept the part with the incongruous female vocalist that appears at around a minute and a half and had Misa singing it in the OP animation.

What really strikes me is that it's very much a Naruto/Bleach sort of OP song. This time, maybe we'll get to see Light's bankai. :p

~Dagger~

[quote name='Syk3']*tilts head* I'm finding it surprising that some of you are saying the story line was slow in this one[/quote]
I dunno... Well, [I]I[/I] said it seemed that not much happened, which isn't precisley true when you think about it, but that's just how it felt to me. Maybe it's just because the only really memorable part came right at the very end. :p

[quote name='Dagger]They took out the best line of all: in the manga, when they watch [spoiler']Misa walk up the stairs to Light's room, Sayu mutters under her breath that she can see her panties.[/spoiler][/quote]
Ha! Wow. Well that just gives awkward a whole new meaning.

[QUOTE=Dagger]I wonder if we'll get the new OP in episode 14? There's definitely one coming soon, and apparently it's going to be [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7smvamE4QHc][u]this baby[/u][/url] (<-- that's the music video, which has quite a few winking Death Note references in it already). It's "Zetsubou Billy" by a band called Maximum the Hormone, who are--according to their [url=http://www.55mth.com/main.html][u]site[/u][/url]--performing with groups like Jimmy Eat World, NOFX, Newfound Glory and the Dropkick Murphys this spring.

But as for the song itself... not my bag at all. Less generic screaming plz. Well, at least it's obvious that Misa would be a fan of this group. You know what would redeem it for me? If they kept the part with the incongruous female vocalist that appears at around a minute and a half and had Misa singing it in the OP animation.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that was some kinda intense video. He he... Not exactly my kettle of fish, but I can deal with it. Yeah, Misa in the OP would be great. :D A perfect fit. I definitely picked up on the DN references, too.

Okay, no new OP for #14, which makes me wonder when they'll introduce it. If I had to bet again, I guess I'd say (manga spoilers!!) [spoiler]at the kick-off of the good Light/Yotsuba arc.[/spoiler]

Anyway--it was an awesome, awesome episode (and seeing the cliffhanger on which it ended filled me with the evil urge to giggle gleefully at those unfamiliar with the manga). Due to the continually brilliant voice acting, I think the anime has started to bring out a better sense of how much [spoiler]Misa unintentionally confounds and pwns Light.[/spoiler]

Hey, manga readers, was [spoiler]the full dialogue with Takada[/spoiler] added in for the anime version? [spoiler]I quite enjoyed it, and I'm pretty sure she at least had a cameo or some kind of mention in this part of the series, but I don't recall her actually conversing with Light or anything.[/spoiler] Either way, I thought her voice suited her character to a T. Another instance of smart casting.

Comedic highlights of this episode: [spoiler]Apparently Light uses "Gentle!" rather than Google as his main search engine. What would they have instead of "I'm feeling lucky"? "Please treat me gently" leaps to mind, but that's probably because I've seen a few too many hentai, haha. But my favorite part was how, after Misa's dramatic show of jealousy, Light's mommy comes to scold him about keeping a girl in his room too late in the evening. Ownz0red. Plus Misa & Ryuk's mutual "Yoroshiku~!", Light's abject disgust at the fact that the main obstacle in his way is a lesbian shinigami, Misa's NFL-worthy tackling (am I watching DN or Kanon?), Matsuda's whispered remarks about seeing L asleep...[/spoiler] oh, and the list could go on and on.

By the way, I could have sworn that someone was holding a Wiimote in the next episode preview. :animeswea

On the dramatic front, the most important developments are [spoiler]L's ingenuous declaration of friendship and Rem conceding to Light about killing him.[/spoiler] So how do you guys feel about the former? [spoiler]Is L sincere? Half-sincere? Lying through his sugar-encrusted teeth?[/spoiler]

Word has it that there's a canonical answer for this in the supplementary volume of the manga--if one considers that which an author states outside of his or her actual work to be canonical. But we can get into that later.

I thought that the anime carried off those key segments of the episode with aplomb. I really felt [spoiler]Light's incredulity when L said he was the first friend he'd ever had, and I also sensed the hollow, hard-to-process impact it had on him when Rem agreed to kill L. They succeeded in conveying the complexity of Light's reaction (which again, ironically, heightens his similarities to L): he's glad, naturally, to have things going his way, but he can get lost in his enjoyment of the tooth-and-nail fight to stay one step ahead. When he doesn't have to do anything to work for his winnings, it's not as easy for him to just relax, accept it and celebrate. Then again, it'd take the apocalypse to stop him from at least gloating...[/spoiler]

In sum, a strong episode. It made me reflect on the fact that DN has very few female characters worth remembering, and even fewer worth rooting for. But in that sense, at least, the series is equal opportunity: the women, when they appear, are as flawed and problematic as the men. (Manga spoilers, though only for names-->) [spoiler]Naomi, Sayu, Sachiko-mama, Weddie, Hal Ridner, Takada, Misa... am I missing anyone? Hal is my favorite by quite a bit (no Rem here--I'm just talking about humans).[/spoiler]

I've seen plenty of complaints that DN portrays women in a very unflattering light, pun intended. While Misa-Misa is a few doughnuts short of an L, in reality DN tends to portray [i]everyone[/i] in an unflattering light. That, in its own way, can be refreshing.

~Dagger~

I thought it was a decent episode, albeit strangely humorous. lol I was thinking about listing a few of the more prominent comedic moments, but you've just about hit the nail on the head, Dagger. It's as if the series is saying, "woah, I know we're trying to kill each other, but let's not take ourselves too seriously now!" :p

[quote name='Dagger]Hey, manga readers, was [spoiler]the full dialogue with Takada[/spoiler] added in for the anime version? [spoiler]I quite enjoyed it, and I'm pretty sure she at least had a cameo or some kind of mention in this part of the series, but I don't recall her actually conversing with Light or anything.[/spoiler'] Either way, I thought her voice suited her character to a T. Another instance of smart casting.[/quote] *attempts as best he can to delete spoilers when quoting Dagger's post without looking* ^_^;

Nah, that was in the manga as well. Nearly word for word, just as most of the series has been.

[quote]By the way, I could have sworn that someone was holding a Wiimote in the next episode preview. :animeswea [/quote]Nah, that was definitely a cell phone. I can see how you'd say that from a quick glance, but I paused it and it had a screen.

[quote]On the dramatic front, the most important developments are [spoiler]L's ingenuous declaration of friendship and Rem conceding to Light about killing him.[/spoiler] So how do you guys feel about the former? [spoiler]Is L sincere? Half-sincere? Lying through his sugar-encrusted teeth?[/spoiler][/quote][spoiler]I think he's sort of half sincere at this point.. The distance that has always been between them makes it seem unlikely that they would consider each other friends (come to think if it, there's a lot of space between all the characters), but considering he said it was his "first friend" that might be to show his inexperience with the concept. Shikashi.. I'm also getting the feeling that if he [i]does[/i] still have doubts about Light's innocence, this is his last-ditch attempt to appeal to whatever humanity remains in him, if you know what I mean.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]As for Rem conceding to kill L, that along with his strong protection over Misa are what shocked me the most in the episode. I have a feeling that something is going to prevent it from happening.. and also that Rem will die at some point.[/spoiler]

[quote]I've seen plenty of complaints that DN portrays women in a very unflattering light, pun intended. While Misa-Misa is a few doughnuts short of an L, in reality DN tends to portray [i]everyone[/i] in an unflattering light. That, in its own way, can be refreshing.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]Yeah, I can definitely see how the author would be attempting to put humans in general in a bad light. It would be nice to see some intelligent women on the level of Light and L, though.

EDIT: So Rem is a girl, then? I could see that going either way. <_>

EDIT AGAIN: I also thought I'd mention that I'm not a big fan of that song you linked to earlier. lol Maybe if they remixed it.. without the screaming.. just maybe.. We'll see, I guess.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hazaah, I just finished watching episode 14, and I have to say that this episode was pretty good. I just loved the part where [spoiler]L tell's Light that he is his first friend.^^[/spoiler] It was so emotional *awww*.^^ Anyway's, I also like that part where [spoiler]L is eating that donut thing.^^[/spoiler]And, is it just me, or does it seem like L is alway's eating something?:p Anyway's, can't wait till episode 15.^^[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Dagger']Anyway--it was an awesome, awesome episode (and seeing the cliffhanger on which it ended filled me with the evil urge to giggle gleefully at those unfamiliar with the manga).[/quote]
Mocking the ignorant! Curse you, Dagger! He he, jk, jk...

Anyway, episode 14 was certainly very eventful... One of the funniest so far, for one thing. :D [spoiler]Misa body slamming Light[/spoiler] was pretty much hysterical. And she can be one jealous girl... dangerously so.

Anyway, yes, the ending is quite infuriating for a non-manga reader, such as myself, although [spoiler]I very much doubt that this is the end of L[/spoiler]. I guess I'll just have to wait and see... :animeangr

Also, I'm more than a little confused about Rem's gender...

I actually find it rather sad that there aren't any characters displayed in said "flattering" light. I mean, everyone's got their flaws, but people have their good points too... But I guess the characters we're dealing with are all a bunch of nut jobs, anyway, so it's fitting, I suppose. :rolleyes:

Argh!! Another lack of preview, at least for the one I saw. :[

[spoiler]I can't see how L wouldn't believe Light is guilty now, even though he doesn't have direct evidence against him. For those of you who have read the manga, I just finished the episode and have only breifly looked through the corresponding chapters (32 and 33), but it seems that the manga may have explained L's thoughts a bit better when he revealed that Misa had been arrested.[/spoiler]

In any case, great episode, and I once again have to wait anxiously for the next one, haha. [spoiler]Light's comment at the end where he said goodbye to Ryuk has really got me wondering.. Is this the last time we're going to see him in the series? ;_; Perhaps he'll have his own memories erased and then stick with Rem, or.. I have no idea. lol[/spoiler]

I may update this later when I get around to reading the manga.

[SIZE=1]The raw I saw had a preview... basically just shots of [spoiler]Light and Misa both bound up in separate cells. Light's narration was about discarding his useless/rotten pride.[/spoiler]

As for episode 15--well, perhaps I should just mention that L/Misa is one of my favorite hypothetical couples in the series and leave it at that. Kukukuku. [/Ryuk][/SIZE]

-----------------------------

Okay, episode 16. I know people were curious/worried about it, but if [url=http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/DEATH%20NOTE/DEATH%20NOTE%20-%2016%20-%20Large%2020.jpg][u]this[/u][/url] isn't [spoiler]a face of absolute innocence,[/spoiler] then I don't know what is. More thoughts once I actually get to watch it.

~Dagger~

Heh, well it seems kind of late to comment on episode 15, but I will anyway. :D I was doing some hard core studying for exams, so I'm a little behind. :animeswea

Anyway, very eventful episode. It's pretty amazing how [spoiler]L completely turned things around like that. And the fact that he knew he was in danger in the first place... Light is in a completely different situation.[/spoiler] Things are picking up now.

The ending was also very intriguing... Can't wait to see what'll happen.

If the preview was any indication, episode 17 is going to be another [spoiler]Daddy Yagami-driven[/spoiler] thrill ride. They could have only been picking the good clips, of course, but the animation looked episode-1 quality.

Oh, and going by the names of future episodes, [spoiler]the first arc may well end sooner than one might think.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger]If the preview was any indication, episode 17 is going to be another [spoiler]Daddy Yagami-driven[/spoiler'] thrill ride.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ooo..I can't wait to watch it. I thought that the entire sequence was well executed in the manga. Man, it sure had my heart racing when I read it :animeswea
[/COLOR]
[quote name='Dagger]Oh, and going by the names of future episodes, [spoiler']the first arc may well end sooner than one might think.[/spoiler][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]That is definitely fast. I'm curious to find out how the rest of the story is played out :D [/COLOR]

Episode 16: Wow, what a turn of events. don't really know what Light is thinking... I actually found the whole [spoiler]"discarding the Death Note"[/spoiler] thing rather confusing... I'm sure there's more to it than I am really understanding here... I guess I'll just have to keep watching to get a better understanding of this...

Also, those were some pretty shweet acrobatics on Ryuk's part... Hee hee, him with his apple cravings.

Light's father seems to be on the [spoiler]brink of insanity[/spoiler] right now... And judging by the preview for episode 17, it seems that [spoiler]he's about to go over the edge[/spoiler]. How unfortunate.

[QUOTE=Dagger]if [url=http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/DEATH%20NOTE/DEATH%20NOTE%20-%2016%20-%20Large%2020.jpg][u]this[/u][/url] isn't [spoiler]a face of absolute innocence,[/spoiler] then I don't know what is.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
It certainly is. I don't think I've ever seen anything more pathetic. But it was almost refreshing to see [spoiler]him actually seem innocent[/spoiler] for once...

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, I just got done watching episode 16, and I have to say [spoiler]that the fact that L's bewildered look's are absolutey histerical. But it was really smart on Light's part by acting the way he's acting, because it is definetly not the way that Kira would usually work.[/spoiler] Anyway's, this was a great episode.^^ I can't wait for episode 17 and [spoiler]Yagami's rampage.[/spoiler]:p[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Episode 17 was as crazily awesome as I had hoped (more on that in a second), and the Yotsuba arc has started at last. For some reason, [spoiler]good Light[/spoiler] is a lot more interesting & likeable to me in the anime than in the manga (maybe it's just the seiyuu?), so I'm fired up to see more. The contrast between the exaggerated comedy and even more exaggerated drama was quite drastic.

I loved the background music toward the end, and the final line spoken by [spoiler]Rem, 「人間って生き物は実に醜い」 (I can't translate gracefully for my life, but it'd be something like "These creatures called humans are truly ugly"),[/spoiler] was just chilling. See, I'm not a demanding viewer when it comes to Death Note--give me some pretty animation, pretentious music, humor and hardcore voice acting, and I'm good to [strike]fangirl[/strike] go.

Speaking of which, this episode also delivered the plot device that spawned a thousand BL doujinshi. [spoiler]Mm, handcuffs.[/spoiler] On a personal level, though, I liked [url=http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/DEATH%20NOTE/DEATH%20NOTE%20-%2017%20-%20Large%2017.jpg][u]this part[/u][/url] even more. :catgirl: I can't wait for [spoiler]the punch-out[/spoiler] in the next episode. Plus the introduction of [spoiler]Aiber, Wedy and Manager Matsuda.[/spoiler] Hooray hooray.

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]I just got done watching episode 18, and I have to say that [spoiler]i'm starting to like the idea of Light and L working together more and more. Anyway's, I absolutely loved the part in this episode where Light punches L in the face, that entire scene was absolutely histerical.^^ But I did feel sorry for Aizawa, since he quit the Kira case. I am also really interested in these two new character's, and seeing them in action.:p[/spoiler] Well, i'm off to wait for episode 19. I just know it's gonna be awesome.^^[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm boycotting this show until we get the new OP & ED. :p The frigging singles were even released... what else are they waiting for!? Actually, it's pretty obvious what they're waiting for, but I still think it's lazy. They could at least have the grace to switch [spoiler]Naomi & Raye[/spoiler] out of the OP animation.

(By the by, the song I identified as the new OP is actually the new ED--the new OP is another single by the same band, "What's Up People?" Haha. I only wish I were kidding.)

Wedy and Aiber are two of the most [spoiler]woefully underused[/spoiler] characters in DN. But at least they look cool.

~Dagger~

It's great to see another female character to the vastly male cast, although I don't think Wedy and Aiba will be very prominent figures...

The 18th episode was quite slow in comparison to other recent episode, but I have a hunch it's just calm before the storm. ;D It was also a nice glance to the Japanese culture of shame and career-orientation (although I thought Aizawa was pathetic for crying because he had to spend more time as a responsible parent *rolls eyes*).

I didn't enjoy the fighting scene, though, I think it's stupid that two male protagonists always have to get physically violent at one point or another in every single tv-show or movie. >:/

So I didn't get to say anything about episodes 17 and 18 because I was gone in Thailand. Very very cool. Even stopped by the Tokyo airport on the way over. ;)

Anyway, enough of my rambling. Finally watched those two episodes, and is it just me, or has this series suddenly turned into a comedy? :animeswea Very interesting turn of events, but I'm finding it hugely entertaining.

Anyway, some high points: The animation has been noticably lovely lately. :p The [spoiler]Mr. Yagami fake-murdering his son[/spoiler] scene made me freak out... just a little. Also, I loved the whole [spoiler]punching-each-other-out scene between L and Light[/spoiler]. Hilarius. :D That was some ultra-dramatic [spoiler]flying across the room[/spoiler]. :animeswea Matsuda's MisaMisa-ing was also rather funny in a mildly annoying kinda way. :animeswea My heart also went out to Aizawa. :( Poor Aizawa. These Wedy and Aiba people also certainly look interesting... And very blonde. :D

Anyway, I don't know where these crazy Yotsuba people came from, but I guess I'll find out more about them...

Also, it's a little weird that [spoiler]Light is so different now, but I suppose I do prefer the present him to the old him[/spoiler].

I did [i]love[/i] the everybody-being-mean-to-Matsuda montage, complete with dramatic music.

They really are working to move the plot forward. I keep noticing huge chunks of dialogue cut from the Evil Yotsuba Eight - I think it was in the manga so people could have fun analysing each member's remarks and trying to work out [spoiler]which one has Rem's Note[/spoiler], but I'm pretty glad they've axed it for the show. Looks like we'll get the second arc packaged neat in this season after all.

Episode 19: Ha ha, poor Matsuda. Great to have an episode dedicated to him, though. He's quite a guy. Loved the [spoiler]balcony stunt[/spoiler]. :animeswea He tries so hard to be useful, but he's always going to be a bit of a bumbling, happy-go-lucky idiot. :D

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Yeah, about episode 19.....I didn't really like it. I mean, I just don't really like Matsuda that much(he's a tard). But I did like the way it ended with [spoiler]them breaking through Yotsuba's security, and getting a hold of their camera's.[/spoiler] So at least the next episode should be pretty good.:p[/COLOR][/SIZE]

The new OP is here!! (Not that I've had a chance to watch it yet, but it--and the ED as well--look amazing, at least based on stills. Plus, episode 20 should contain my favorite light-hearted moment in the entire series, so I'm looking forward to watching 18, 19 and 20 at once. The embargo ends at last.)

[spoiler]MELLOOOOOOOOOOOO! NEEEAAAAAAAAR! MIKAMI! TA-KA-DAAA![/spoiler]

*coughs and slinks away*

ETA: I, um, lack the words to describe the OP music. But the animation? [i]Ohgod[/i]. Someone definitely had fun making this, and by that I mean the extreme acid trip variety of fun (I feel unoriginal--so many people have already said that Madhouse has collectively gone on drugs in the best way possible, but oh well). It's easily one of my favorite OP sequences in a long time. The [spoiler]multiplying maniacal Light[/spoiler] heads? [i]Genius[/i]. They have distilled Death Note to its absolute essence and have chosen to embrace the crazy. I cannot handle such a big dose of win.

The elevator in the ED gives me Utena flashbacks... :animestun

~Dagger~