OtakuBoards

Death Note TV

Dagger

OMGWTFBBQ!!!!11one The new themes are teh SUXXORZ!!!!11

...Ehm, yeah. Didn't like them. Not a big fan of ear-aching heavy-duty metal blare. XP The new animations were even more psychedelic than before, I'm actually a bit sad that the series is moving away from the dark gothic ambience to a cyberpunk-ish environment (with all the high-tech and gadgetry).

And somebody can just shoot Misa-Misa, she really got on my nerves in this episode! Hopefully she'll rediscovers at least some of her intellectual capacity in the next episode... *rolls eyes*

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm definitely with Dagger re: the new op and ed. Death Note is really at its best when it is completely off its rocker, and these things are good proof that at least [i]some[/i] people on the staff have finally lost their minds completely. (I especially like the random tempo change at the end of the op, and also the fact that it [spoiler]pretty much attempts to compress the rest of the series into a minute or so[/spoiler])

On the other hand, they're completely overusing Low of Solipsism!! (the music that plays during the [spoiler]infamous potachi scene and elsewhere[/spoiler]; you can also hear it in my synthesis of it and the [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGD6bby9oUw][u]Van Damme dance[/u][/URL]) Guys, it's going to totally lose its hokey power at this point! I mean, come on, dropping it during [spoiler]a [i]phone call[/i][/spoiler]?? I could totally get behind its use in the previous episode, but this time it just isn't unjustifiably silly enough and the whole scene lacks an adequate number of dramatic panning shots.

I'm divided. I love the new OP and ED sequences but I'm not a fan of the songs. The OP song is okay until the random tempo change F*head mentioned and then I lose all interest.

But yes, the animation sequences themselves are off the rails. I'm not such a fan of the multiple wacky Light-heads, but L spinning round on his chair and eating snacks is inspired.

Oh, wow. That new OP is the best thing since Alice in Wonderland. :D Love the L spinning and eating sweets thing. The screaming Light thing just weirds me out, but hey, that's a good thing. :p Kind of hate the screaming music, though...

Anyway, episode 20 was okay. Not my favorite episode. Although, I'd have to say my favorite part was [spoiler]L saturating his tea with sugar[/spoiler]. :animeswea Heh heh, that boy is gonna have diabetes in a major way...

I agree with [B]Sandy[/B] about Misa. She was particularly annoying in this episode. :animeswea

Hey, guys, don't decide on a firm opinion of Misa until after you've seen episode 21! :)

The most important plot development in this episode is the revelation that [spoiler]Higuchi is the Yotsuba Kira.[/spoiler] Did any of you guess that ahead of time? It took me a bit by surprise when I was reading the manga. I think he definitely qualifies as one of the more pathetic characters in the series, at any rate.

There's also a lot of good stuff for [spoiler]us Rem[/spoiler] fans. Anyway, things keep clipping along, and the first arc should be over in a couple more episodes. Look forward to it... :devil:

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Look forward to it...[/quote][spoiler]How can you say such a thing! Honestly. I might cry.[/spoiler]

I never worked out who was the [spoiler]third Kira[/spoiler] when I was reading ... I had a quick scratch-the-surface theorising session and settled on [spoiler]Shimura, because he seemed so nervous the whole time ... that was a stupid theory when you remember Rem picked the new Death Note owner herself[spoiler].

It's kind of interesting to watch knowing who it was. [spoiler]It's clear throughout that Higuchi is the most bloodthirsty, but then, translating that into 'likely Kira suspect' is easy to do in hindsight[/spoiler].

EDIT: Enthusiastic Mogi-manager needs his own show. Plus, I don't hate the ending theme so much now I've noticed it contains the phrase "DEATH PIRATES".

[quote name='Raiyuu][spoiler']How can you say such a thing! Honestly. I might cry.[/spoiler][/quote]
Much like the Death Note itself does for Light, the Death Note anime brings out the worst in me. :animesmil

On a lighter note, check out [url=http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7788/deathnote19konnadeathnory3.jpg][u]these variations[/u][/url] on [spoiler]the mattress rescue[/spoiler] scene from earlier. Oh, Matsuda...

~Dagger~

I'm finding the anime extremely painful to watch. I'm all ready so far ahead if it in the manga its ridiculous. The anime does have great animation but it's practically word for word with the manga. People who are dying of anticipation should start reading the manga it's a lot far ahead of the anime. It's almost at it's climax. Ill continue to watch the anime being the loyal DN fan that I am. But i'm not ready to jump out of my skin like you guys are since manga wise I'm really far ahead.

If it weren't for Geass Id say this would be the most anticipated anime of the year.

[QUOTE=Kenshin DX]
If it weren't for Geass Id say this would be the most anticipated anime of the year.[/QUOTE]
Which is funny, since Geass owes a fair amount to Death Note. ;)

The only winter shows I'm actively watching right now are Kanon, Geass and Death Note. Somehow everything else got dropped by the wayside. I guess the main thing they have in common is that they're all endearingly silly in one way or another.

EDIT: For the record, a lot of dialogue has been cut out of the Yotsuba arc in the anime. At least 50% of the manga-dialogue was absent from episode 21. This is a good thing.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]

EDIT: For the record, a lot of dialogue has been cut out of the Yotsuba arc in the anime. At least 50% of the manga-dialogue was absent from episode 21. This is a good thing.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

The arc where [spoiler] Light becomes a wussy good guy right?[/spoiler] Yeah I couldnt stand that arch even the climax to it is pretty lame.

[quote name='Dagger']Hey, guys, don't decide on a firm opinion of Misa until after you've seen episode 21! :)[/quote]
Okay, okay. You're right. Misa is starting to show symptoms of posessing a brain. Even though she's still [spoiler]just doing everything to please Light.[/spoiler] :animeswea

Anyway, episode 21 was pretty exciting. :p Now we know [spoiler]who the Yotsuba Kira is[/spoiler], and it was certainly a surprise to see [spoiler]Rem approach Misa again.[/spoiler] And it IS really nice to see [spoiler]Misa starting to show some intelligence, and do some stuff independently.[/spoiler]

Things are getting interesting. Can't wait to see what'll happen next. It is pretty amazing though, how much this series has changed since the beginning. It gives off a completely different atmosphere now, in my opinion.

The results are conclusive: Reiji Namikawa has the nicest hair in the entire series. Not much more to say about episode 22, except that it had better art than the past few episodes. Quite possibly I'm just saying this because I was blinded by the glory of his hair. It makes Pantene commercials resemble split end fests.

I tend to mentally split DN into four parts--[spoiler]L versus Light, Yotsuba, Light versus Mello and Light versus Near.[/spoiler] Of those, I would rank Yotsuba the lowest in either the anime or manga.

I don't want to say too much more about the manga, just because it's been a while since I read it, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that the second arc (which comprises [spoiler]Light vs. Mello and Near[/spoiler]) could translate to anime form far better than the first. They'll be forced to compress it to its juiciest bits because of the smaller number of episodes left. Additionally, the second arc is in many ways broader in scope and more action-packed. This gives it the potential to translate better to screen, so long as they use whatever remains of their budget judiciously.

The number one thing I'm hoping for right now (vague second arc spoilers!) is that [spoiler]Near's[/spoiler] seiyuu, whoever he or she may be, succeeds in [spoiler]distinguishing him from L.[/spoiler] They have a huge opportunity here to do what the manga could not (at least initially) and show us, purely through the power of kick-*** voice acting, [spoiler]why he isn't just L's Mini-Me.[/spoiler]

In some ways, I think that casting might matter more than anything else when it comes to affecting people's opinions of the second half. After all, the animation will probably be about the same--ranging between impressive and competent with a few cringe-inducing moments. Same goes for the music, direction style, and so forth. The only element that really has the chance to surprise and impress people is the voice acting for the new characters. Again, [spoiler]Near[/spoiler] is at the top of my anxiety list. I'm worried about [spoiler]Mello[/spoiler] as well, but that's mainly because he's my favorite character (on most days, at any rate). If you look at it more objectively, he'd be pretty hard to get wrong.

I'm also anticipating hearing & seeing [spoiler]Mikami and Matt.[/spoiler] Which is a little weird, because I wasn't [i]that[/i] wild about them in the manga, at least not at first. Any fresh blood is a good thing, I guess.

~Dagger~

So, episode 22... Not particularly eventful. Matsuda got to make himself useful for once, though...and we got to see Higuchi [spoiler]lose his cool[/spoiler]. :animeswea And there was more of L filling his face with sweets...same old. I'm really curious as to how this series of events is going to turn out though. The suspense is KILLING ME! >_< Heh heh. :rolleyes: I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Ahh... this is more like it. Episode 23: In which L and Watari add [spoiler]helicopter flying and super l33t sniping[/spoiler] to their resumes, L once again dabbles in [spoiler]bondage games[/spoiler] with Misa, much dramatic music is played, and more action takes place than in all the other episodes (so far) put together.

If Madhouse plays their cards right, and there's no reason to believe that they're dull enough not to do so, then the next episode should be the best in the entire show (again, so far) by a long shot.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Eh, this episode was good,[spoiler](although the Helicopter and Sniper Rifle did make it a bit better)[/spoiler]. The fact that [spoiler]Light will finally become Kira again in the next episode[/spoiler] is what really got me. Since ever since [spoiler]Light lost his power and became innocent and the complete opposite of what he was when he was Kira[/spoiler]. It's been really hard for me to watch this series probably because they took away the one thing that really made me enjoy this series.

I may go back and watch some of the episodes from this arc but I really doubt it since after watching a couple of the first episodes of it I really lost interest.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]
I may go back and watch some of the episodes from this arc but I really doubt it since after watching a couple of the first episodes of it I really lost interest.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I had a hard time there as well. No need to punish yourself. Especially not if you know what's going to happen...

~Dagger~

[quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The fact that [spoiler]Light will finally become Kira again in the next episode[/spoiler] is what really got me.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Yeah, I agree, I am really looking forward to seeing this next episode just because of the fact [spoiler]that Light is going to become Kira again.[/spoiler] I'm so happy!!!^^ But yeah, this episode to me was really dramatic, between all the music, and [spoiler]the capturing of Kira,[/spoiler] I just couldn't keep my seat!^^ So I am definetly looking forward to next week's episode.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm glad that this Yotsuba storyarch is over, I really look forward to the continuation of the "real" storyline. This detraction to Yotsuba seems quite odd when you look at it from Light's perspective: he assumably meant to use it to fade L's suspicions towards him, but in the end L just found out about Death Note.

I just have to trust Light that this was all a bigger plan to kill L, although now that they've become such close buddies, will he really have the balls to do that?

(Note that the above is just a rhetorical question, I don't want to get spoiled. ;P)

Wow, what an exciting episode. Episode 23 is one of the best I've seen in a while. They certainly weren't stingy with the action and suspense in this episode.

Man, that Higuchi is a spaz. It's rather satisfying to see [spoiler]a Kira actually get captured[/spoiler]. Which says something about [spoiler]what a lousy Kira Higuchi was[/spoiler]. :animeswea

That preview looked VERY interesting though. Hmmm... wonder what's going to happen? :rolleyes: Even I can figure that one out.

I probably won't get the chance to watch episode 24 until tomorrow (*whines and cries*), but in the meantime, here are links to two chibi Death Note figures that are being made by Good Smile Company (one of the better figure companies out there).

[url=http://www.hobbystock.jp/item/view/HBY-ICF-00000217][u]Light[/u][/url] ([url=http://www.amiami.com/shop/?vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=HOB-FIG-5282&template=review.html][u]more pictures[/u][/url])
[url=http://www.hobbystock.jp/item/view/HBY-ICF-00000218][u]Ryuk[/u][/url] ([url=http://www.amiami.com/shop/?vgForm=ProductInfo&sku=HOB-FIG-5281&template=review.html][u]more pictures[/u][/url])

Sooooo adorable. Man, I love these Nendoroid figures, especially the interchangeable expressions. GSC has done similar ones for characters like [url=http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/68957][u]Haruhi Suzumiya[/u][/url] and [url=http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/70596][u]Yuki Nagato[/u][/url] as well.

ETA: [spoiler]JUST AS PLANNED,[/spoiler] 24 was made up of equal doses of EPIC and WIN. And capslock-inducing fever as well, apparently. More on this later. I tell you, it makes the whole Yotsuba shebang worthwhile.

~Dagger~

Ah, Death Note's back to it's good old self. No more goody-two-shoes and kawaii silliness, it's time to...

[center][b][size=6]KILL [/size](BIL)[size=6]L[/size][/b][/center]

<3

I just hope the future episodes won't ruin my pleasure... On the other hand, I was a bit surprised that Light's time away from the Death Note didn't affect him at all. I guess it's the notebook's influence.

[spoiler]Getting all his memories back at once must have been a pretty intense experience. I imagine that would trump the time he whiled away with L, especially now that he knows it was part of his master plan anyway.[/spoiler]

I am struck by the irresistible urge to skulk around muttering [spoiler]KEIKAKU DOORI.[/spoiler]

The twelve episodes left after 25 are going to have to cover [i]five volumes[/i] of material. It's perfectly doable, but heads will roll if the animation is as variable as in the first arc. :animesigh I did read that episode 27 is titled [spoiler]"Kidnapping"[/spoiler] or something of the sort, which is a good sign as far as pacing is concerned. Also: where the hell are the seiyuu for Near, Mello and Mikami? I'm astounded that nothing has leaked out about them yet.

~Dagger~

I thought they handled [spoiler]Light's reawakening[/spoiler] incredibly well - even if I did have a little chuckle when L turned around and found [spoiler]Light freeze-framed in mid-scream[/spoiler]. I might have to frame-grab that and use it as a wallpaper.

The animation was pretty nice all round in this episode, and I can see it going back to first-episode insane-writing-scene quality next week - [spoiler]it's probably the most important of the series so far, after all[/spoiler].

And the next episode preview? Expertly done.

Woah! Intense!!! Well, the genius Light has done it again. I was kind of expecting this to happen at some point, but I really hadn't the slightest idea how.

The whole [spoiler]flash flood of memories[/spoiler] thing was very well done---very intense.

I'm finding myself wondering [spoiler]just how much time Misa has left[/spoiler]... I guess I'll find out.

And those chibi figures... I dunno why, but they kinda creep me out. :animeswea Is that unusual?

Anyway, everything seems to be going according to [spoiler]crazy/genius Light's master plan[/spoiler]. And I see he's back to [spoiler]seeing himself as a god[/spoiler]... Hmmm... :rolleyes:

Getting closer to the end! Can't wait to see the conclusion of this thing...

[COLOR=Blue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]That was a good anime show but it look like something offensive for some religions.

Maybe I also watched the first few episodes of Death Note. The first time I watched in YouTube, it is really devatating! A different God in real times, judging the people who were real criminals or something. The main character is named Light, that might be a twisting story involving the Shinigami's notebook, and the antagonist who didn't reveal his true identity, just L.

Anyway, I would say that there is only one God, and it is up to you if you watch it or not! And, I am sure that it reminds me of Full Metal Alchemist. Sometimes, the airtime of these anime shows depends on the Country and Religion. For instance, Dragon Balls Z and GT, they called him Master Gorgeous instead of Mr. Satan.[/FONT][/COLOR]