OtakuBoards

Death Note TV

Dagger

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, [i]wow[/i]. Next to 25, episode 29 has definitely become my favorite episode in the series so far. It was even better than I hoped. This is where the benefits of speeding up the second arc come into play. It was thrilling, not rushed, and covered a lot of ground. They'll definitely be able to finish the second arc within the remaining episodes now.

It was a very good-looking episode with plenty of action. I had my fingers crossed that [spoiler]they'd give Mello his chance to shine here,[/spoiler] and Madhouse didn't disappoint. The [spoiler]hospital scene[/spoiler] was more affecting than in the manga, in large part thanks to Mamoru Miyano's acting chops. Man, talk about dramatic irony up the wazoo.

There's so much to look forward to! [spoiler]Scarred Mello, Mikami, Matt, Takada...[/spoiler] I'll definitely watch this episode multiple times to make the wait feel shorter.

~Dagger~

Wow, episode 29 was incredible. Full of suspense, and really great looking animation. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. A lot of unexpected surprises for me in this episode. A lot of twists and turns.

[quote name='Dagger]The [spoiler]hospital scene[/spoiler'] was more affecting than in the manga, in large part thanks to Mamoru Miyano's acting chops.[/quote]
I was really impressed by Mamoru Miyano's voice acting in that particular scene as well. It seemed as if Light did genuinely care that [spoiler]his father was dying[/spoiler], although he also seemed to have other things on his mind at the time... :animesigh He REALLY wanted [spoiler]his father to write Mello's name in the Death Note before he bit the dust[/spoiler]... A little selfish there, buddy. But a really great, moving scene.

I'm hoping for more episodes of this quality, which there surely will be.

I haven't had time to watch episode 30 yet, but I'm very much looking forward to it, as it contains [spoiler]scarred!Mello.[/spoiler] Episode 31 will introduce a certain [spoiler]Teru Mikami,[/spoiler] who is a very significant character, and (if we're lucky, and he hasn't been cut out of the anime altogether, which would sadden me) possibly [spoiler]Matt[/spoiler] as well.

~Dagger~

Episode 30:

It was interesting to see [spoiler]Kira's crazy supporters[/spoiler], and what they're perspective is and everything. Plus the effect that Kira's having on society, and how he's become somewhat of a household name. I thought that part where that [spoiler]little kid talked about Kira, and there was that "Lord Kira, please kill them" graffiti[/spoiler] etc. was nicely done.

Heh heh. And the [spoiler]President of the United States made an appearance[/spoiler], eh? Seems Light has power over everyone. I'd say he kind of resembled Bush, too, which I guess was the point.

Oh me goodness. Kira's Kingdom! *sparkles* :toothy:

Mello certainly does have a [spoiler]scarred face[/spoiler]. :eek: And there's a new character, too... Wonder what her role is...

And Aizawa is starting to [spoiler]have his suspisions about Light[/spoiler]. Heh heh, good for him, I say. I've always had a soft spot for Aizawa. :p

Kukuku... they made Kira's Kingdom just as tacky as I'd hoped.

The one thing about the compression of the second arc that disappoints me is the reduction of Hal's part in the story. She's the SPK woman who [spoiler]Mello used as a hostage.[/spoiler] In the manga, she had a much more complex role [spoiler]and connection to Mello--she had actually been feeding him information for a while before that scene.[/spoiler] It's not as if DN is otherwise abundant in competent women...

~Dagger~

The one thing that kind of caught me off gaurd is in the previews for the next episode, [spoiler] it looked like someone else had obtained the Shinigami eyes. I'm not sure if it was Light or not but it seemed like someone else was using the eyes. [/spoiler] Perfect anime so far just need to catch up on the manga.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/DaggerIX1/1178661786006.jpg[/IMG]

It's hilarious because it's so, so true...

Would anyone be interested in some kind of post-series image dump? I have a lot of DN parodies floating around.

~Dagger~

Yes indeedy. That one, and the many versions of Matsuda's mattress stunt, were pretty classic. Are you getting these from 2ch?

For me personally, the anime's biggest achievement over the manga is that it's made me interested in the Mello/Near relationship. I know there was a lot of Mello/Near fan rivalry - as you'd expect in any high-profile series like DN - but when I read the manga I honestly thought they were both a bit meh. I wasn't bothered either way about either of them.

But with Near animated and voiced, I'm suddenly far more intrigued by his character. He's inherited L's twisted sense of morality - there's the same willingness to sacrifice a life to test the validity of the Note. And some of his expressions, combined with sensitive voice acting, actually make him quite a disturbing kid. It's way he smiles at things, like he's more interested in seeing events unfold, and how they relate to the larger puzzle, than in how the events affect him or his team. When [spoiler]Demegawa's mob are attacking the SPK headquarters, for instance. You can see him grinning because he can see that this is more evidence for 'L' also being Kira; he's far less bothered with the concrete relevance of the situation, which is that there's a baying mob outside that want to burn him at the stake[/spoiler].

[quote name='Raiyuu']Yes indeedy. That one, and the many versions of Matsuda's mattress stunt, were pretty classic. Are you getting these from 2ch?[/quote]
Various sources. For pure crack, the LJ community called capslock_dn is a goldmine.

I do think that Near, in his special little way, is just as whacked-out crazy as Mello.

~Dagger~

You know, after watching the Death Note anime so much, I can't read the manga now without hearing music from the anime playing in my head. It especially seems to come up during L and Light's internal monologues...

The soundtracks stand up surprisingly well on their own--good mellow tracks plus the perfect fodder for one's more megalomaniacal moments. I've been listening to the first OST a lot. The second, like most second OSTs, isn't particularly great (aside from the piano version of Light Lights Up Light, which plays during the [spoiler]foot washing[/spoiler] scene in episode 25).

I'll write up impressions of episode 31 in an hour or so, but for now, check out this gif made by another Internet denizen (be warned that the file size is large). [spoiler]Light's writing technique ain't got nothing on Mikami's.[/spoiler] :devil:

[URL=http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1179278506080ly3hr6.gif][IMG]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9722/1179278506080ly3hr6.th.gif[/IMG][/URL]

ETA: [spoiler]Yeah, it was a great entrance for Mikami, who I think I will like rather better in the anime than in the manga. And it feels soooo good to watch Demegawa go down.[/spoiler] Episode 32 will bring [spoiler]back Takada.[/spoiler]

[fangirl mode]I will be[B] [i]irrationally angry[/i] [/B]if they cut out Matt. He should've been in this episode, and the fact that he wasn't is a Very Bad Sign. It was inevitable that they would make his role even smaller, but removing him completely? I really hope they don't go that far. There's still a chance to introduce him or at least have him make some cameos later.

If they give him a speaking role, they should continue the Ouran Host Club theme and cast the guy who played Mori.[/fangirl mode]

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger][URL=http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1179278506080ly3hr6.gif][IMG]http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9722/1179278506080ly3hr6.th.gif[/IMG'][/URL][/quote]

Haha, that's fantastic. It's like he's casting a spell in Final Fantasy!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to [spoiler]Mikami's appearance. I always thought he was an interesting character, if only because I think that's how Light would turn out if he didn't have to keep up public appearances. ELIMINATE[/spoiler]

[FONT=Tahoma]Well, I've finally sat down and began to watch the series thoroughly (i've only seen the first 2 episodes for the longest time now until a few days ago), so i'll comment on it thus far. I have seen up to episode 13....and...this is one of the most intellectual, suspenseful, clever, and exciting animes (or anything in the murder mystery genre for that matter) I have ever seen.

The battle of back and forth wits and the ongoing cat and mouse to see who can gain the upper hand in what seems to be a struggle over top control of basically a hunch or instincts is absolutely mind blowing. Both L and Light are so thorough and calculating, it's exciting just to watch them plan let alone put plans into action. At first, I was a huge L fan after [spoiler]he tricked Light into revealing his location and existence when he killed who he thought was L on TV.[/spoiler] Afterwards though, they've just gone back and forth so much, they prove that they are both overwhelmingly intellegent and resourceful. Just as the aforementioned was L's biggest achievement thus far to me, the [spoiler]train incident where Light tricks Penbar into writing the FBI agent's names on the note page[/spoiler] was Light's greatest.

It keeps me on the edge of my seat a good majority of the time and the elements of
psychology and mystery are so fluent and incredibly captivating it's hard to really notice any flaws in the series. I seriously havn't been this into an anime since FMA. I intend to continue watching tonight, also I have not read a single post in this thread yet as when it comes to shows I really get into, I get paranoid about spoilers.

Also on a side note, Misa is effing cute =). Talk about an [spoiler]enamored, crazed girl throwing herself at Light's feet, pretty much willing to do anything at all that he wants, and more then ready to be used by him as he sees fit. I was going to smack him silly if he wasn't on board the moment she handed him her note. Though I also have a fear that because she does know his true identity...somehwere down the line she's going to have to be disposed of ;_ ;.[/spoiler]

Another side note: LOL @ Ryuk's [spoiler]apple withdrawal symptoms.[/spoiler][/FONT]

I have to say that episode 31 was pretty exciting.

That [spoiler]dropping money thing[/spoiler]---heh heh, absolutely disgusting. There's a prime example of human greed right there. So preoccupied with [spoiler]getting the money[/spoiler], they completely forgot what they were doing.

[spoiler]Mikami's appearance[/spoiler] sure was unexpected for me, but I guess I should be used to a multitude of new characters appearing all the time by now. Yup. That's some [spoiler]intense writing[/spoiler] right there. I'd love to see someone actually [spoiler]write a name that way (looks more like he's slashing the pages...)[/spoiler]. :animeswea

And Misa's [spoiler]lost her memories[/spoiler]...? That was also rather unexpected. I'm still wondering [spoiler]just how much time she actually has left to live (taking into account the Shinigami Eyes). I'm going to predict right now that she dies before the end of the series[/spoiler]. Heh, it'll be slightly embarrassing if I'm wrong... :animeswea

[quote name='medafunk']Heh, it'll be slightly embarrassing if I'm wrong... :animeswea[/quote]
My lips (fingers?) are sealed. ;)

Haven't had a chance to watch episode 32 yet, but it appears to include [spoiler]Mikami's backstory, Takada-sama[/spoiler] and a glimpse of the [url=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3421/nowaiuf4.jpg][u]elusive, DS-lovin' Matt[/u][/url].

On the figure front, Goodsmile is making a Nendoroid [url=http://www.goodsmile.info/products/gsc/2007/gsc0709-08.html][u]Misa[/u][/url] and [url=http://www.goodsmile.info/products/gsc/2007/gsc0709-07.html][u]L[/u][/url] to go with their earlier Light and Ryuk models. They really dropped the ball with Misa's eyes, in my opinion, but L looks good. And you can actually handcuff him to Light... hilarious.

~Dagger~

It feels a little late to be commenting on Ep. 32, but what the hey.

Anyway, I find Mikami an absolutely fascinating character. That little glimpse into his past was certainly interesting. Ha ha, he [spoiler]calls Light "God"[/spoiler]... :rolleyes:

And Light's [spoiler]cheating on Misa[/spoiler]!? :eek: Ha ha... :rolleyes: One of the things that really bothers me about Light's character is the fact that he doesn't seem to really genuinely care for anyone. He uses people to his own advantage and for his own selfish needs, and is annoyingly good at acting while doing it. :animeswea

Anyway, it was very interesting to see [spoiler]Takada[/spoiler] come back into the series. I didn't expect her to [spoiler]become a supporter of Kira[/spoiler]. Seems that Light can [spoiler]get all the girls because of the fact that he's Kira[/spoiler]. :rolleyes: [spoiler]Takada's[/spoiler] intelligence is kind of refreshing though.

[QUOTE=medafunk] One of the things that really bothers me about Light's character is the fact that he doesn't seem to really genuinely care for anyone. He uses people to his own advantage and for his own selfish needs, and is annoyingly good at acting while doing it. :animeswea

[/QUOTE]
Haha that's actually what i think is BEST about him XD
Evil guys, in my opnion, are the best =3 They seem to be very, very, very smart. The fact that they're evil isn't what scares me the most but how intelligent they can be O___O

....But then of course we come to the subject of whether one believes Light is evil or not.I support Light so obviously I don't find him evil *shakes head* A little crazy perhaps but not evil ^-^

~Colleen the Great~ X_X

What standards are you judging him by, anyway? Would you really excuse his behavior in other people? Frankly, people who support Light scare me no matter what reasoning they use, but "Of course he's not evil, because I support him" (which implies that you wouldn't support him if he were evil) seems to me like a less nuanced stance than just swallowing the negative things he does along with their potentially positive outcome.

The highlight of episode 33 was certainly [spoiler]the catfight,[/spoiler] which is good, because I was very much looking forward to it. I'm glad they didn't cut it, even though it does nothing to advance the plot. Haruhi Suzumiya versus Haruhi Fujioka! Maaya Sakamoto is doing a nice job as Takada.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']What standards are you judging him by, anyway? Would you really excuse his behavior in other people? Frankly, people who support Light scare me no matter what reasoning they use, but "Of course he's not evil, because I support him" (which implies that you wouldn't support him if he were evil) seems to me like a less nuanced stance than just swallowing the negative things he does along with their potentially positive outcome.[/quote]

[font=tahoma]Your mind is already probably made up, but hear me out because i believe my personal reasons for supporting Light has a great deal of logic in them. I'm unsure of who you were referencing your comment to, but i figure i'd tackle it in defence of those who see this the same way I do ;).

I like Light, I do not support the method of which he goes about accomplishing his ultimate goal, but I find in him what i appreciate most about not only myself but in the human potential as well. This is the astonishing intellectual capacity a person can not only obtain naturally as a gift from birth, but the ability to enhance and nurture it throughout life. He's scaringly resourceful and has superior reasoning skills, as L likes to point out in many episodes. I agree that while he started out [i]arguably[/i] righteous, he eventually sank into insanity and despite his noble outlook, just goes about the entire thing wrongfully. So you won't hear "Of course he's not evil" come out of my mouth, though at the same time you won't hear me say "Light is a worthless piece of garbage" either. This however is not what I put into judgement, my support and veneration are solely influenced by his intellect.

This is why I can't help but grin and feel proud everytime Light one ups L or outdoes himself when putting a plan into effect. I however also have this admiration of L, as I said in my introductory post in this thread it's just exhilirating how the battle of wits push and pull back and forth against each other. It's difficult for me to say who my favorite out of the two is because they both possess one of the most important aspects of how I decide whom I like the best when it comes to judging characters. Misa I just love because she's so damn cute and sexy, and only being up to episode [spoiler]24[/spoiler] myself...I still fear for her life. I can't get this idea out of my head that for one reason or another, she's going to end up dead :(. [/font]

[QUOTE=i.luv.kiba]Haha that's actually what i think is BEST about him XD
Evil guys, in my opnion, are the best =3 They seem to be very, very, very smart. The fact that they're evil isn't what scares me the most but how intelligent they can be O___O

....But then of course we come to the subject of whether one believes Light is evil or not.I support Light so obviously I don't find him evil *shakes head* A little crazy perhaps but not evil ^-^

~Colleen the Great~ X_X[/QUOTE]

I don't believe Light would be evil without the Death Note. His temporary absence from it proved it, and I think Ryuuk hinted something in that direction as well.

But he [I]does[/I] have the potential in him. He believes that evil should be punished, and that the humankind is best off with him in the lead. Of course that makes him totally oblivious to his own evil deeds and twisted morals (that the end justifies the means, for example).

Like BKstyles said, Light is an interesting character, and people like him despite the fact that he's not very likable.

[SIZE=1]But he is hot. ;P[/SIZE]

Dammit! I just wrote a nice long post and lost it all. F you, Internet. :(

But to recap, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking Light as a fictional character. The word support sets off alarm bells for me because I've encountered a lot of people who not only like Light but sincerely wish there was a Kira in real life. Books, movies, etc. are doubly fascinating when they force you to sympathize with a character who would otherwise be morally repugnant. Applying those feelings to real life as if it's all the same thing is what freaks me out just a tad.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Sandy]I don't believe Light would be evil without the Death Note. His temporary absence from it proved it, and I think Ryuuk hinted something in that direction as well.

But he [I]does[/I] have the potential in him. He believes that evil should be punished, and that the humankind is best off with him in the lead. Of course that makes him totally oblivious to his own evil deeds and twisted morals (that the end justifies the means, for example).

Like BKstyles said, Light is an interesting character, and people like him despite the fact that he's not very likable.

[SIZE=1]But he is hot. ;P[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Light is pretty cool for a [spoiler]wife-beater[/spoiler] Even though technically he is not that...but it is amusing anyhow[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger]What standards are you judging him by, anyway?
Frankly, people who support Light scare me no matter what reasoning they use, but "Of course he's not evil, because I support him" (which implies that you wouldn't support him if he were evil) seems to me like a less nuanced stance than just swallowing the negative things he does along with their potentially positive outcome.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Well...
He can't be completely evil can he? I mean, he's killing off criminals for the good of the rest of the world. The whole 'Being a god of this new world" doesn't really help him out too much though does it? Like he said to L in book 3 i think there is some purity in Light/Kira . Besides, by killing off the bad dudes isn't he really saving alot more people? Let's bring him into the real world for a minute shall we. Let's say he wrote Osama Binladen's (sp?) name into the Death Note. Would that make him evil? Because by killing off someone like him he's really saving the lives of perhaps hundreds of other innocent victims right?

Anyway.... I hope that anwered your question. I can understand how someone who supports Light would scare you but trust, I'm not scary =3 . And as for the 'nuanced stance' thing i won't reply cause i don't know what that means :wow:

~Colleen the Great~ X_X
p.s. and i WOULD support Light even if i thought was evil cause Light is just plain awesome ^-^ (though L ain't too bad either)
[QUOTE=Sandy]

[SIZE=1]But he is hot. ;P[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

ha i agree w/ both of those statements ^-^. However i disagree about him not being a likeable character. i think in reality there are alot of people who do in fact like Light, but since they believe him evil they don't want to support the bad guy (example: my friend Jessie)

but in my opinion the so called 'bad' dudes are the best. they're the ones who make the story interesting =3